Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313911 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2940 on: January 31, 2020, 10:04:50 AM »
I REALLLLLLLY hope this is released some day.

I'd be surprised if it is.  Floor planned this whole tour herself (from what I've read from Hannes' comments commending her).  I don't know if she has had any assistance from the TV station in the Netherlands.  She may not have the funding to record and release the live show.

I think she's just capitalizing on her success from winning that TV show by doing a small solo tour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2941 on: January 31, 2020, 10:12:51 AM »
I REALLLLLLLY hope this is released some day.

I'd be surprised if it is.  Floor planned this whole tour herself (from what I've read from Hannes' comments commending her).  I don't know if she has had any assistance from the TV station in the Netherlands.  She may not have the funding to record and release the live show.

I think she's just capitalizing on her success from winning that TV show by doing a small solo tour.

Yea, given how this played out, I kind of doubt she will be recording and releasing a polished release, but given the success, I could see her planning a show and recording for release at some point.  She's very popular at the moment and has some drawing power to get a record deal for it I'd imagine.  She could get even more guests for such a show as well.  I actually really like this idea now that I've typed it out.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2942 on: January 31, 2020, 04:44:04 PM »
Well, she had some tv/radio appearances and did some of these tracks. Unfortunately some of these either have bad sound of have Floor sounding a bit off (which, save for a select few notes during the extremely diverse set, wasn't the case at all at 013, she was fantastic).

I do hope they will make some audio recording. I can see NPO2 (the public tv station, meaning they are not commercial) being down for it, actually, considering she won prizes and the tv show is massively succesful. They frequently broadcast concerts.

Anyways, here is a recent broadcast featuring some songs and the talking bits are kindly translated by a Dutch fan:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1jfUfKIBs3k (radio show, the concert parts are actually filmed well).

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2943 on: February 02, 2020, 01:30:50 AM »
First interview with Tuomas/Kai shedding some light on the new album. Can’t wait for it!

https://youtu.be/Ry1q2DXB9Go

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2944 on: February 06, 2020, 06:07:54 AM »
And now we know the length of all the pieces and the album: 81:31 for the album and 30:58 for the long piece. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human._:II:_Nature.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2945 on: February 06, 2020, 06:37:35 AM »
So it wouldn't fint on a single disc actually.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2946 on: February 06, 2020, 06:43:18 AM »

Toumas added some extra animal noises to the end to make it long enough to justify this  :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2947 on: February 06, 2020, 06:55:48 AM »

Toumas added some extra animal noises to the end to make it long enough to justify this  :biggrin:

I'm surprised he didn't round it up to actually 31:00  ;D but sometimes the measuring differs on various systems, I'm sure DT / MP specifically wanted Finally Free to be exactly 12 minutes long but sometimes it shows as 11:59. Same for Octavarium I believe, it could vary depending on the support between 23:59 and 24:00.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2948 on: February 06, 2020, 07:27:54 AM »
Now that I know the second disc is no vocals, I am getting a bit more warmed up to the idea. I read an interview of Tuomas that the first part will focus on humanity and is very vocally driven, using all three vocalists. And the second disc will focus on nature and will be an orchestral epic. The first disc will apparently not have an orchestra, to leave more room for the band and vocals.

Thinking about it, it is not that bad. Wishmaster and Oceanborn are approximately 49 and 53 minutes. And at least Tuomas is able to create compelling intrumental tracks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2949 on: February 06, 2020, 07:32:51 AM »
Yea, even if the epic instrumental isn't my thing, it seems we are still getting a full nightwish album, and not having an orchestra actually sounds interesting.  They have two amazing vocalists, using them more is perfect, plus with Troy, do they needed the added orchestrations?  This band can make good music just themselves and that's actually kind of exciting.  The epic seems like an awesome bonus disc in some ways.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2950 on: February 06, 2020, 07:53:49 AM »
Yea, I'm actually excited for the lack of orchestra on disk 1. I've loved Nightwish since I think Wishmaster, and so I was fine with them pre-orchestra. I feel like they used the orchestra REALLY well but need to change things up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2951 on: February 06, 2020, 09:08:31 AM »
I like how the wikipedia album page says:

Marco Hietala – bass guitar, male vocals, acoustic guitar, backing vocal

Good thing they clarified it, I thought Marco did female vocals on the album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2952 on: February 07, 2020, 03:19:25 AM »
Noise

Listened to it once and thought the chorus was a bit underwhelming... yet it's already stuck in my head :lol I like the "C-part" as well.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #2953 on: February 07, 2020, 06:08:08 AM »

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2954 on: February 07, 2020, 06:25:50 AM »
That's a ridiculously catchy song.  I like it....I'm not expecting anything different than the usual Nightwish formula now, after so many albums.  They just do this stuff so well.  That's a much better first single than Elan was.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2955 on: February 07, 2020, 06:32:12 AM »
Nightwish by numbers. Great, in other words. Really missed these guys, it's been a long 5 years.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2956 on: February 07, 2020, 06:35:46 AM »
Enjoyed the vid but I have heard about 50 variations of that riff from Nightwish  ::)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2957 on: February 07, 2020, 06:39:57 AM »
Enjoyed the vid but I have heard about 50 variations of that riff from Nightwish  ::)

Yeah this is pretty much my thoughts. The video is clearly high-effort, but this riff was like on each of the last three albums. I don't know, maybe I'm not in the mood for symphonic metal today, but both this song and new Delain were fairly underwhelming for me. Didn't help that I fell asleep on the second half of the new Delain.

For now after one listen (and I know I'm probably in the minority here), Elan was way better for me if we're comparing singles.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2958 on: February 07, 2020, 06:58:54 AM »
The riff was by the numbers, but the song is a lot more than the riff.

The song itself was great. Obviously Nightwish, but a bit more dark and stripped down. Also Floor sounded fantastic.

Overall, really liked the song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2959 on: February 07, 2020, 07:00:57 AM »
For now after one listen (and I know I'm probably in the minority here), Elan was way better for me if we're comparing singles.

I loved Elan. Lyrics were a bit ropy but musically it's a lot of fun.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2960 on: February 07, 2020, 07:08:54 AM »
Which riff? the Storytime / Shudder Before the Beautiful / Dark Chest of Wonders one?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2961 on: February 07, 2020, 07:09:37 AM »

Yeah this is pretty much my thoughts. The video is clearly high-effort, but this riff was like on each of the last three albums. .

Nightwish has tended to let the keys or orchestra carry the song melodies over the last handful of records, definitely since Once.  Maybe even going back to Century Child.  The riffs end up being a big, chunky thing behind all of that to carry a big headbanging groove. 

That's what I expect.  The guitar riffs are rarely memorable, but they write some amazing orchestrations around them that make the songs so memorable.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2962 on: February 07, 2020, 07:20:00 AM »
This song is the definition of filler, really hope it's just another case of the single being whatever the most boring accessible track is. Tuomas still in love with that boring string patch and quaver rhythm over the boring chuggy guitar riff I see. I couldn't understand half the lyrics, no real comment on those, but Floor's melodies aren't that compelling to listen to
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2963 on: February 07, 2020, 07:57:23 AM »

The song itself was great. Obviously Nightwish, but a bit more dark and stripped down. Also Floor sounded fantastic.

This is about where I am as well.

Silly question:  Anyone know who the blonde is?  I would normally assume just a random actress for the video.  But it's odd in this video because, other than the child, she is the only person featured so prominently who is not a band member. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:10:15 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2964 on: February 07, 2020, 08:18:35 AM »

Silly question:  Anyone know who the blonde is?  I would normally assume just a random actress for the video.  But it's odd in this video because, other than the child, she is the only person featured so prominently who is not a band member.

Just someone to show some booty it seems.

I also agree with this take on the song, very similar Nightwish and yet, still a solid song.  It's the single, I don't expect this to be the best the album has to offer, so I'm just happy its a good song, the single doesn't need to blow me away here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2965 on: February 07, 2020, 08:23:48 AM »

Just someone to show some booty it seems.

Yeah, I mean, that's nothing new for a music video.  But in this one, it just seems...I dunno, kinda asymmetrical given that, again, all the adult "actors" whose faces are shown are members of the band.  And everything in the video seems deliberate to convey a message.  I feel like there is some connection that I must be missing.  Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but that stuck out to me. 

EDIT:  On a different note, the YouTube autoplay has been playing videos nonstop after the Nightwish song from some band called Helloween.  One of the singers kinda looks and sounds like one of the dudes from Avantasia.  Anyone know of them?  They sound pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:01:28 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2966 on: February 07, 2020, 09:12:14 AM »
EDIT:  On a different note, the YouTube autoplay has been playing videos nonstop after the Nightwish song from some band called Helloween.  One of the singers kinda looks and sounds like one of the dudes from Avantasia.  Anyone know of them?  They sound pretty good.

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2967 on: February 07, 2020, 09:13:31 AM »
 :lol the one time when TAC can point something out and he's no where to be found

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2968 on: February 07, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »
So Emppu is like the Jon Schaffer of Symphonic Metal. The song was OK. Gotta say, I'm disappointed with Delain too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2969 on: February 07, 2020, 11:14:31 AM »
I thought the song was pretty good. Even though it has that Dark Chest of Wonders riff,  they did things different within the song for it to stand out. It's got good energy and Floor is shining finally.

I laughed hard when Floor yelled at the girl through that horn.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Adami

« Reply #2970 on: February 07, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »
While I really liked the song, I totally get why some people might be not too into it because of how Nightwish it sounds.

I feel that way about other bands that others love. For some reason, it didn't deter me with this song as much as some of the stuff on EFMB did or how bands like Amaranthe, or Kamelot, or whatever have all kind of just become repetitive machines.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2971 on: February 07, 2020, 01:47:20 PM »
Quote from: Evermind
link=topic=8645.msg2627085#msg2627085 date=1581082546
... both this song and new Delain were fairly underwhelming for me. Didn't help that I fell asleep on the second half of the new Delain.

I'm going to see Delain on Sunday night, and yeah, the new album isn't all that 🙁  Kinda hoping they don't play too much of it...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2972 on: February 07, 2020, 01:56:22 PM »
Sucks to hear about the new Delain, I was going to check it out tonight (and still will) but enjoyed the singles so kind of expected a solid album

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2973 on: February 07, 2020, 02:36:40 PM »
Silly question:  Anyone know who the blonde is?

Since no one ever reads the ending credits... Jessica Edström ;) She's a freelance model and an Instagram personality, which is fitting.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2974 on: February 07, 2020, 03:20:10 PM »
OK, so definitely not a musician or someone with a known relationship to the band.  OK.