Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317485 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2905 on: January 28, 2020, 08:10:03 AM »
 :lol

Honestly I'm thinking this could be something kind of like Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn. At least, that's what I'm hoping. That's a 36-ish mostly instrumental piece (with vocals but they're not really lyrical, just ambient I think) with all kinds of sounds and styles and instruments, and from the title it seems that's what it could be.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2906 on: January 28, 2020, 08:13:40 AM »
And here I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't swoon at Tuomas' "lyrical prowess."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2907 on: January 28, 2020, 08:16:12 AM »

Honestly I'm thinking this could be something kind of like Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn. At least, that's what I'm hoping. That's a 36-ish mostly instrumental piece (with vocals but they're not really lyrical, just ambient I think) with all kinds of sounds and styles and instruments, and from the title it seems that's what it could be.

Well, I guess we could imagine The Greatest Show on Earth with just the intro and the ambient noises in the middle mixed with some more orchestral / atmospheric stuff I guess.

And I agree with bosk - I applaud the courage to do what the hell they want without thinking in terms of "We need another Nemo", but I'll also have to like the end result.

And here I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't swoon at Tuomas' "lyrical prowess."

So you didn't vividly picture him naked, with a smile in his face, a pen and 1000 pages of erased text?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2908 on: January 28, 2020, 08:24:57 AM »
As much as I get that the length/time of the album COULD fit on 1 disc, I understand the reasoning of putting it on 2.  There's an album (brilliant I might add) by a band Transcend called The Mind (thanks RJ!)... and it's 83 minutes.  So while JUST over a single CD, it's packaged digitally as a single album (not sure if they sold it physically with some edits to make it under 80 minutes).  There's a 45-minute / 8-part suite after 4 opening tracks that are 39 minutes.  I rarely go to the album, because it feels like a chore to get thru the whole thing.

So, having the long multi-part suite (ala 6 Degrees) isn't necessarily a bad thing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2909 on: January 28, 2020, 08:27:12 AM »
As much as I get that the length/time of the album COULD fit on 1 disc, I understand the reasoning of putting it on 2.  There's an album (brilliant I might add) by a band Transcend called The Mind (thanks RJ!)... and it's 83 minutes.  So while JUST over a single CD, it's packaged digitally as a single album (not sure if they sold it physically with some edits to make it under 80 minutes).  There's a 45-minute / 8-part suite after 4 opening tracks that are 39 minutes.  I rarely go to the album, because it feels like a chore to get thru the whole thing.

So, having the long multi-part suite (ala 6 Degrees) isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I don't want to suggest otherwise (sorry if I seemingly did), I'm very excited about this album, seriously.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2910 on: January 28, 2020, 08:27:32 AM »

So you didn't vividly picture him naked, with a smile in his face, a pen and 1000 pages of erased text?

I have precious little time for such fantasizing.

...so when I do, I save it for picturing Adami.  :heybaby:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2911 on: January 28, 2020, 08:31:18 AM »
I took "wordless singing" to mean Floor is Great Gig In The Skying on this one. That'll do me.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2912 on: January 28, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »

Yeah, you make a really good point.  I don't disagree with that at all.  It's just that, for me, I find it difficult to get past the format of such a huge portion of the album being something I probably won't have any desire to listen to after the first listen or two.  45 minutes of content that I actually would want to listen to seems meager in comparison.  Granted, there are a lot of albums where I maybe like only about 45 minutes worth, and the rest is just "filler" to me.  But it just feels like a bigger mental hurdle when a huge chunk of the content is supposed to be this huge centerpiece and focus of the album, and I don't care about it at all, ya' know?  I mean, I'm not trying to say that Tuomas should change how he chooses to express his artistic vision just because some fans may not like it--far from it!  I'm just say that, for me, this may not work.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2913 on: January 28, 2020, 08:32:15 AM »

I have precious little time for such fantasizing.

...so when I do, I save it for picturing Adami.  :heybaby:

Me too, but it's Stadler in an I'm With Hillary shirt.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2914 on: January 28, 2020, 09:11:00 AM »
I heard a rumor that the wordless singing in the epic is handled by none other than Geddy Lee doing his trademark yodel for 34 minutes. Can't wait!

:biggrin:
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2915 on: January 28, 2020, 09:13:23 AM »
I heard a rumor that the wordless singing in the epic is handled by none other than Geddy Lee doing his trademark yodel for 34 minutes. Can't wait!

:biggrin:
hehe good one, seriously. I'd love to have James and Geddy harmonise with Floor too :D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2916 on: January 28, 2020, 09:59:22 AM »
What's this Geddy yodeling everyone keeps talking about?  Example please.

If disc two of the new Nightwish album is all instrumental,  I wonder if it is Tuomas's way of punishing Floor for having too many side projects.   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2917 on: January 29, 2020, 03:13:49 PM »
Nemo in intimate form by Floor and Marcel Visser band (from that tv show a while back)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sXzVhCTTJ2c

Seeing that show tomorrow, looking forward to it. I hope she will record one of the concerts or does a studiosession with them. She will do intimate versions of songs spanning her career.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2918 on: January 29, 2020, 03:19:11 PM »
Enjoy it, you lucky one!  :metal I don't follow her to the point of knowing how she behaves in every single concert / intimate setting, but she gives me the idea of being a loveable and normal person, someone with whom you could have a casual chat while taking a coffee, and that happens to be an incredibly amazing singer. I think it's one of those cases where you walk way having enjoyed both the performance and the person.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2919 on: January 29, 2020, 03:24:20 PM »
Yea, Floor comes off as a very nice person.  I've never met her, but she spreads positive vibes and is an amazing singer.

I've had Simone Simons as my favorite female vocalist for so long now, but the more of Floor I experience, the closer she gets to catching up and maybe passing Simone.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2920 on: January 29, 2020, 03:28:39 PM »
The man writes fantastic neologisms and his turns of phrase are, like, second to none. There's a thematic unity in his work that makes it so appealing to analyze. And I greatly respect the desire to just lay it all out there, and not give a rat's ass about appearing uncool - they have, what, three songs about liking fairy tales and Disney movies? and reddit.com/r/atheism lyrics post-2010? You gotta respect the guts in that :lol

but there's too much of him in there and I just don't really like the guy  :corn

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2921 on: January 29, 2020, 09:18:13 PM »
Floor is a very nice person. I saw her at this local pizza spot, she was with her dude. I askes if I could get a pic. She said yeah after she got done eating.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2922 on: January 30, 2020, 04:37:39 AM »
I know someone who met Tarja once, he said she was lovely.

Floor has that beautiful quality of being able to say something like "I am a great singer" and convey that she simply means it matter-of-factly, and she's not boasting or on an ego trip or something. It's a real European trait.

As for Tuomas' lyrics, well, I admire him for writing about different subjects and all, but the end result is often clumsy and clunky. I wouldn't call them neologisms so much as someone for whom English is a second language getting grammar and syntax wrong. I mean:

"At the end of the river the sun down beams
 All the relics of a life long lived
Here, weary traveller rest your wand
Sleep the journey from your eyes"

The sun down beams? What does that mean? The sun beams down? The sunset is beaming? It just sounds wrong to a natural English speaker. Not criticising in any way, his English is better than my Finnish, but I would never hold that up as an example of a great lyric, and Nightwish are full of this sort of clunky grammar.

I'm off to lie down and sleep the journey from my eyes...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2923 on: January 30, 2020, 05:13:39 AM »
"Sleep the journey from your eyes" is a wonderful line.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2924 on: January 30, 2020, 06:55:30 AM »

I met Tarja at Progpower 2018.  It was a very rare time where I suddenly became star struct, which is weird.  I was amazed by her beauty and her immediate eye contact and engagement.  I kind of just stood there with my ticket stub for her to sign and she just started laughing at my sudden quiet awkwardness and then I apologized and she laughed some more and cracked a joke.  Really lovely, not at all what I expected (not that I expected her to be mean or anything, just didn't think she would be THAT awesome in person especially at a meet and greet where she did that for like an hour, also she looked much more amazing in person). 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: January 30, 2020, 07:06:50 AM »
"Sleep the journey from your eyes" is a wonderful line.

I don't mind that one much. Sometimes European bands for whom English is their second language use some interesting turns of phrase. Sometimes they come out a mess, other times they sound poetic, like that.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2926 on: January 30, 2020, 07:13:36 AM »
That line is so convoluted that, while I perfectly understand it, I don't even know where to begin to translate it in italian  :lol we just don't have that kind of creative use for verbs. And probably neither the english language  :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2927 on: January 30, 2020, 07:45:32 AM »
Oh I would definitely pin some of that on the ESL factor, but not all, and especially not after the first few albums.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2928 on: January 30, 2020, 08:04:57 AM »
Did his lyrics get considerably worse after Once or something? I feel like up to that point he wasn't exactly fantastic at writing lyrics but there wasn't anything that I found super cringe-worthy.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2929 on: January 30, 2020, 08:06:32 AM »
He has some really poetic stuff, some very meh stuff, and some WTF stuff.

The only lyrics of his that REALLY just turned me off were on EFMB (the album). Him describing evolution and science and "greet a blade of grass" or whatever just felt bad. Like when Iced Earth wrote wikipedia articles as lyrics for The Glorious Burden or whatever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2930 on: January 30, 2020, 08:22:52 AM »
I feel like the focus has shifted after Once, and so did the topics, which can be hit or miss for some people (obviously a miss for a lot of people in here).

Who's better at writing insults, Tuomas or Mike Portnoy? "Happy hunting, you double-faced carnivore" vs "You're the rotted root in the family tree"?  "Blame me, it's me, coward, a good-for-nothing scapegoat; dumb kid, living a dream, romantic only on paper" vs "They all bought into your contrived sincerity, and how you wore your heart and soul right on your sleeve; with false sensitivity, you cut yourself open so people would adore you"  :corn

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2931 on: January 30, 2020, 08:30:07 AM »
I think this insult lyric takes the cake (it's neither of the two people above, but somewhat related to NW)

Your children will hate you forever
Your graces they faded so fast
You've fallen so far form what was your throne
Despised now wherever you go

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2932 on: January 30, 2020, 08:31:04 AM »
I think this insult lyric takes the cake (it's neither of the two people above, but somewhat related to NW)

Who is it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2933 on: January 30, 2020, 08:35:15 AM »

Who is it?

https://youtu.be/kpxBDnqWkYI?t=91

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2934 on: January 30, 2020, 09:02:42 AM »
Lol Jani Liimatainen is great at jabs too. "It is better to feel just something else than live in that uncertainty, so tell me now, how was he? and tell me, was he worth it?" always gets me and "No one is flawless but baby I'm the worst" always cracks me up  :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2935 on: January 30, 2020, 09:15:28 AM »

I met Tarja at Progpower 2018.  It was a very rare time where I suddenly became star struct, which is weird.  I was amazed by her beauty and her immediate eye contact and engagement.  I kind of just stood there with my ticket stub for her to sign and she just started laughing at my sudden quiet awkwardness and then I apologized and she laughed some more and cracked a joke.  Really lovely, not at all what I expected (not that I expected her to be mean or anything, just didn't think she would be THAT awesome in person especially at a meet and greet where she did that for like an hour, also she looked much more amazing in person).

I remember that. I laughed too. I was behind you and just laughed in my head.

I still can't believe though. I met Tarja.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2936 on: January 30, 2020, 09:16:29 AM »
Yea, looking back, that was really awesome and special.  Like, how cool was that? And that's all part of the progpower festival.  This is why I keep coming back.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2937 on: January 30, 2020, 05:34:04 PM »
Well, the Floor show at 013 was fantastic! Honestly one of my favourite concert experiences in recent memory. The variation of the repetoire was great and the performances were mostly stellar. Surprised they played quite a bit of metal here and there. And her stage banter was good too, this is usually not one of Nightwish's highlight, so that was a surprise to me.

Setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/floor-jansen/2020/poppodium-013-tilburg-netherlands-1b9891f4.html

My highlights probably were Face Your Demons (did not know the song, not thst familiar with After Forever) and Slow, Love, Slow.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2938 on: January 30, 2020, 05:36:37 PM »
Slow love slow? that's a surprise, but pretty cool.  Actually got to see Annette play that in NYC

But that set as a whole is awesome, including the Northward songs.  That album really grew on me although I wish she played the song Northward, seems perfect for an overall less metal set

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2939 on: January 31, 2020, 09:50:26 AM »
I REALLLLLLLY hope this is released some day.