Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317262 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2835 on: December 06, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »
Anette has been hinting about a secret project for a couple of month on instagram now.
Seems as though the Allen/Olzon 'Worlds Apart' album due for release in March 2020 is it.

As in Russell Allen?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2836 on: December 06, 2019, 05:51:34 PM »
I thought I heard someone knock on my door, yup, UPS just delivered my Decades blu-ray/CD  :metal :metal going to start watching right now

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2837 on: December 19, 2019, 02:52:02 AM »
I thought I heard someone knock on my door, yup, UPS just delivered my Decades blu-ray/CD  :metal :metal going to start watching right now
Well how is it? I won't be receiving mine for a couple more weeks according to my record store guy.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2838 on: December 19, 2019, 06:10:05 AM »
Well how is it? I won't be receiving mine for a couple more weeks according to my record store guy.

I really liked it. Slaying the Dreamer lacked energy so I had lower expectations, but the rest of the show is fantastic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2839 on: December 19, 2019, 09:07:13 AM »

Mine barely shipped from Nuclear Blast yesterday. I ordered it 3 days before its release.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2840 on: December 19, 2019, 09:48:27 AM »
So is there not a CD + [BR or DVD] version?  I have to buy two separate packages if I want audio and video?

And thanks to Amazon apparently no longer providing track listings for anything anymore, I don't even know whether each has the complete track list.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2841 on: December 19, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »
So is there not a CD + [BR or DVD] version?  I have to buy two separate packages if I want audio and video?

And thanks to Amazon apparently no longer providing track listings for anything anymore, I don't even know whether each has the complete track list.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Nightwish/Decades%3A_Live_in_Buenos_Aires/802191

under 'other versions':

Release date         Label           Catalog ID                Format          Description
December 6th, 2019   Nuclear Blast   27361 48974 / NB 4897-4   Blu-ray + 2CD   Earbook
December 6th, 2019   Nuclear Blast   27361 48970 / NB 4897-0   Blu-ray   
December 6th, 2019   Nuclear Blast   27361 48972 / NB 4897-2   2CD   
December 6th, 2019   Nuclear Blast   27361 48971 / NB 4897-1   3 12" vinyls   Black
December 6th, 2019   Nuclear Blast   27361 48977 / NB 4897-7   3 12" vinyls   Blue
December 6th, 2019   Nuclear Blast   27361 48978 / NB 4897-8   3 12" vinyls   Linen
December 6th, 2019   Nuclear Blast   27361 48979 / NB 4897-9   3 12" vinyls   Violet sparkle
December 6th, 2019   Nuclear Blast   27361 48973 / NB 4897-3   3 12" vinyls   Golden
January 31st, 2020   Nuclear Blast                             3 12" vinyls   Purple/Pink Splatter
January 31st, 2020   Nuclear Blast                             3 12" vinyls   Pink/Black Splatter
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2842 on: December 19, 2019, 09:54:42 AM »
The artbook was a limited release though IIRC. Although back to you bosk, as I've seen, the tracklisting seems to be the same on any format. And so, yes, you now would have to buy two separate formats for audio and video.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Adami

« Reply #2843 on: December 19, 2019, 09:56:41 AM »

The one I got from Amazon was 2cds and a blue ray.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2844 on: December 19, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »
Can't seem to find that version on Amazon.  I even tried searching the catalog number from the link Katt posted.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2846 on: December 19, 2019, 10:05:50 AM »
Can't seem to find that version on Amazon.  I even tried searching the catalog number from the link Katt posted.

Worse comes to worse, I'm happy to mail you my 2 cd's. I don't really want them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2848 on: December 19, 2019, 10:19:29 AM »

Worse comes to worse, I'm happy to mail you my 2 cd's. I don't really want them.

Seriously?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2849 on: December 19, 2019, 10:19:41 AM »

It's awesome.  The video quality is not their best.  I find the shots to be lackluster and the video is dark overall.  I'd say Vehicle of Spirit blows this away in terms of the visual aspect.  There's never a good shot of the entire band which is weird, it's always from far back of the whole venue, not just the stage and band playing at once.  Having said my main issue, the performance is AWESOME.  Hearing the current band do all these older and some rarer stuff is really cool and they nail it.  Awesome album to have to compliment their discography.  Kind of similar to DT doing WDADU with the line up at the time, kind of just breathes some new air into these older songs.  Audio quality is good too.  I'd totally recommend it to any fan of the band, even if you didn't like the older Tarja stuff, you may find these songs with Floor/Marco/Troy to be interesting.

I got my blu-ray and double CD combo on amazon FYI, arrived the day of release and I watched it twice that weekend.  It's still in my blu-ray player and will get more watches for sure.  This band doesn't have a bad live release.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2850 on: December 19, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
here

https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/cd/2cd-bluray/nightwish-decades-live-in-buenos-aires-2cd-bluray-.html

Oh, wow.  Thanks, man!  That's cheaper than Amazon was likely to have it anyway (although I don't know what shipping is).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2851 on: December 19, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
I'm good for something every once in a while

Offline Adami

« Reply #2852 on: December 19, 2019, 10:25:08 AM »

Seriously?

Yup! Just let me know.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2853 on: January 13, 2020, 12:12:16 PM »
The new album is finished  :yarr

Offline gborland

« Reply #2854 on: January 16, 2020, 05:03:51 AM »

New NIGHTWISH studio album 'HUMAN. :II: NATURE.' to be released on April, 10th! Pre-orders start February 7th!
Tuomas once said that whenever he creates a new record he has the intention of capturing something rare and unique, a monument and a true album experience. In 2020 he’s certain to achieve his objective once again. We have completed the recordings for their 9th studio album and are proud to announce the title, artwork and tracklisting. ‘HUMAN. :II: NATURE.’ will be released on 10th April 2020.

The long-awaited record, following 2015’s critically-acclaimed ‘Endless Forms Most Beautiful’, will be a double album containing 9 tracks on the main CD and one long track, divided into eight chapters on CD 2.

The tracklisting will read as follows:
Disc 1:
01. Music
02. Noise
03. Shoemaker
04. Harvest
05. Pan
06. How's The Heart?
07. Procession
08. Tribal
09. Endlessness

Disc 2:
01. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Vista
02. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - The Blue
03. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - The Green
04. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Moors
05. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Aurorae
06. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Quiet As The Snow
07. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Anthropocene (incl. "Hurrian Hymn To Nikkal")
08. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Ad Astra
Graham Borland

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2855 on: January 16, 2020, 05:13:15 AM »
 :omg:

They're doing the inverse trajectory of Dream Theater... our guys concentrated on shorter songs, they wrote instead a 24 minutes song (with a lot of cheating, but still it was long) and now they pull a Six Degrees? wow!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2856 on: January 16, 2020, 05:16:26 AM »
I'm already salivating....  Man!  April 10th can't come soon enough!!!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2857 on: January 16, 2020, 05:21:56 AM »
Also, if you want to study a bit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurrian_songs

I didn't find any previous reference for "All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World", I figured out it must have been a quote like Endless Form Most Beautiful, but if you google it you just find news of the Nightish album. Next best thing, a quote that goes "Although the variegated beauties which adorn the surface of our globe...." from Thomas Dick.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2858 on: January 16, 2020, 07:06:21 AM »
:omg:

They're doing the inverse trajectory of Dream Theater... our guys concentrated on shorter songs, they wrote instead a 24 minutes song (with a lot of cheating, but still it was long) and now they pull a Six Degrees? wow!

Definitely did not expect that, especially since their previous disc had a long epic! Certainly exciting though!!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2859 on: January 16, 2020, 07:49:11 AM »
Not holding much hope for the epic, hope to be surprised though.

Still, this art would look cool on a t-shirt and I already bought the tickets for the upcoming gig, so I'm excited.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2860 on: January 16, 2020, 08:22:33 AM »
Really excited.  They are one of my favorite bands and I LOVED EFMB.  This kind of feels like its taking that further, another long epic, nature themes. 

I do hope that there's less or hopefully no spoken word, but I kind of have the feeling Vista or Ad Astra will be.  They way they broke up the epic already makes me feel like there will be easily skippable tracks that are either drawn out instrumental music, sounds of animals, or spoken word.  I hope I'm wrong, but otherwise I'm really excited for this.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: January 16, 2020, 09:09:56 AM »
I have a nagging suspicion that the disc-long track will take us to levels of pretentiousness hitherto unexplored by Tuomas Holopainen, capped off with a most profound five minute monologue by David Attenborough ruminating on the importance of the relationship between humans and all the creatures of the Earth that we take for granted every single day or something like that

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2862 on: January 16, 2020, 11:34:30 AM »
I have a nagging suspicion that the disc-long track will take us to levels of pretentiousness hitherto unexplored by Tuomas Holopainen, capped off with a most profound five minute monologue by David Attenborough ruminating on the importance of the relationship between humans and all the creatures of the Earth that we take for granted every single day or something like that

:rollin

I do hope that there's less or hopefully no spoken word, but I kind of have the feeling Vista or Ad Astra will be.  They way they broke up the epic already makes me feel like there will be easily skippable tracks that are either drawn out instrumental music, sounds of animals, or spoken word.  I hope I'm wrong, but otherwise I'm really excited for this.

I think you might both be right. If I remember correctly there were rumors of a 20 minutes song on Imaginaerum, which eventually became Song of Myself and the separate title track, and SoM got so long because of all the spoken words section. The Greatest Show on Earth has basically 10 minutes of "real" music if you cut out the intro and the ambient sounds. We probably should not expect a words / length ratio that A Change of Seasons of even Six Degrees have.

Any guesses on how long the suite of the second disc will be? if it actually brings the whole album over 80 minutes or if it's just a stylistic choice to separate it from the record? off the top of my head Endless Forms filled quite nicely a CD, so you'd just need a 30 minutes song to tip over the CD capacity if the other ones are the average length we found on the previous album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2863 on: January 16, 2020, 11:44:40 AM »
Gonna lock in my estimate at 36 minutes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2864 on: January 16, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »
Funny how The Greatest Show on Earth came on this morning on a random shuffle of my entire library.  I skipped the first 5 and last 5ish minutes to make it a great song. 

I'll throw in my estimte at 26 minutes.  And I'll also add that I bet it's enough to fit on 1 disc and this could be an album sales ploy.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2865 on: January 16, 2020, 12:08:44 PM »
I just hope it's better than EFMB, although it's a solid record, it's my least fave Nightwish album.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2866 on: January 16, 2020, 12:58:51 PM »
And I'll also add that I bet it's enough to fit on 1 disc and this could be an album sales ploy.

This. It absolutely infuriates me that they can get away with this and no one bats an eye. Metallica's last "double" album can fit on a single CD (76 minutes). Unless it's over 80 minutes, it can go on one CD. That's how it should be. Yeah, it would be double vinyl, but the CD has been the dominant form in my lifetime, so I expect a true double album to contain well over 80 minutes of music, probably over 100 in fact. Two full discs of music.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2867 on: January 16, 2020, 01:06:46 PM »
Color me excited.  I very much liked EFMB, even though I believe they could've put out something stronger.  I'm hopeful that this is the 'something stronger'.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2868 on: January 16, 2020, 01:51:49 PM »
And I'll also add that I bet it's enough to fit on 1 disc and this could be an album sales ploy.

This. It absolutely infuriates me that they can get away with this and no one bats an eye. Metallica's last "double" album can fit on a single CD (76 minutes). Unless it's over 80 minutes, it can go on one CD. That's how it should be. Yeah, it would be double vinyl, but the CD has been the dominant form in my lifetime, so I expect a true double album to contain well over 80 minutes of music, probably over 100 in fact. Two full discs of music.

Yea, I immediately thought of hard wired  :lol  I'm not a fan of this.  I feel its similar to giving out a "free" CD with a ticket purchase to up the Cd sales.  Which Nightwish did on the decades tour promoting the decades "best of" album.  I got it for "free" which I do enjoy getting, but I don't like the way it scams album sales.  I wouldn't of bought it, as it's a best of album of albums I own.  In the end, the customer pays for it anyway wiht a higher ticket price.  Not a fan of these ploys even though occasionally it works out for me.  (I got the latest babymetal album this way, which I wouldn't of likely bought and ended up enjoying it).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2869 on: January 16, 2020, 03:19:34 PM »
If it really fits on a single CD, I'd expect the justification being "We felt that the suite was so strong and diverse from everything we've ever done, with all this and those influences blah blah blah, that it deserved to be a standalone CD to mark better the difference in styles between the two discs and blah blah blah".

Also, stylistically it sounds and look better to present a double CD with the second one being a longass song, than having a single CD with 17 tracks and half of them have a subtitle.

(I'm in the camp of "less than 80 minutes = one CD", I'm just trying to imagine why they'd split the tracklist in that case)