Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313961 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2800 on: November 21, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »
Maybe the next album lyrics will have something to justify Floor's steampunk clothes  :D

Was it 12 Monkeys that had that steampunk theme? I've always hated that style.

Incoming concept album!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2801 on: November 21, 2019, 09:48:32 AM »
Maybe the next album lyrics will have something to justify Floor's steampunk clothes  :D

Steam Powered Giraffe cover
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2802 on: November 21, 2019, 10:36:29 AM »

Steam Powered Giraffe cover

Took the words right out of my mouth, I was about to link Brass Goggles on Youtube :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2803 on: November 21, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »
Endless Forms is easily Nightwish's worst album, so although I haven't heard anything from Dark Element, that opinion does not sound controversial to me.

I agree 100% with this, I've only listened to it a few times and have no desire to want to play it again anytime soon.
Even the wow factor of it being Floor's NW debut studio record, is diminished by an album totally lacking any memorable songs.
If I was picking a best of NW from every album, I doubt if anything would make it from this album.

The debut Dark Element totally blows EFMB out of the water in every respect.
I only just got Songs The Night Sings, so I can't really comment just yet.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 04:32:34 PM by gazinwales »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2804 on: November 21, 2019, 04:55:14 PM »
Yeah, I mean, I get the context of AFF's release, I just don't think it's a good album from any point of view, pioneering as it may be. It's just a dreadfully dull record even compared with what they released right after it. Just my opinion; it's the only Nightwish album I've gone out of my way to not purchase. I mean just less than a week prior to Angels Fall First being released, Rhapsody released their debut album - October 27th vs. November 1st, 1997 - and even though Nightwish is certainly the more commercially successful band, I would argue that Legendary Tales did more for the power metal genre than Angels Fall First did and is a far more exciting record. Both bands have incredibly strong legacies, so it's whatever, but that's just my take.

You have to remember just how mind blowing and absolutely 'WTF am I listening to'  hearing AFF back in 1997 actually was. There was nothing like it, it was just so raw, fresh and uttery head scratching. If you hear Nightwish's other album's first, then I can understand how underwhelming they could come across as.

I still would put it above EFMB and even Century Child, it has it's own unique character and charm that subsequent NW never had again.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2805 on: November 22, 2019, 12:36:01 PM »
Marco's solo album in English get's a release in January, having it I do prefer the Finnish language version.
https://youtu.be/ifc3gBsM6B0

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2806 on: November 22, 2019, 01:11:37 PM »
Man, I LOVE EFMB. Honestly, I really like all of their albums though I'd consider AFF their weakest.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2807 on: November 24, 2019, 08:54:37 AM »
I heard the new Dark Element album last night. Better than the first imo. I dig the poppy sound although sometimes I zoned out. Anette sounds wonderful.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2808 on: November 24, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »
I heard the new Dark Element album last night. Better than the first imo. I dig the poppy sound although sometimes I zoned out. Anette sounds wonderful.
as she does all the time I've listened to her (IMHO, I liked what she did during her stint in Nightwish too)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2809 on: November 24, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »
as she does all the time I've listened to her (IMHO, I liked what she did during her stint in Nightwish too)

Me too. She's not my favorite NW vocalist per se, but her albums are my favorites (along with Oceanborn). I really like how she stays in a strong range on this album and doesn't go for any shrill or unconventional stuff like Tuomas occasionally had her do in Nightwish.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2810 on: November 24, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »

Me too. She's not my favorite NW vocalist per se, but her albums are my favorites (along with Oceanborn). I really like how she stays in a strong range on this album and doesn't go for any shrill or unconventional stuff like Tuomas occasionally had her do in Nightwish.

I kinda know what you mean, but at the same time... wasn't it for the best? DPP was written without Anette in mind so that one is out of the question entirely, but with Imaginaerum, Tuomas was writing to Anette strengths and it shows. If it required her to go out of her usual vocal range for a few notes, well, the result ended up being awesome so I'm not sure what's not to like.

Hell, I wish we had gotten another album with Anette instead of what we've got with Floor. Maybe then Tuomas wouldn't have been playing it safe.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2811 on: November 24, 2019, 09:35:49 AM »
That probably reads like I'm making a big deal out of it, but I'm not, there's only a couple of moments where her vocal delivery bugs me and it's mostly on Scaretale (but the first minute of that song has to be top 10 Nightwish moments in my opinion). But I think Anette sounds absolutely wonderful in Nightwish, funnily enough I prefer her performance on DPP to Imaginaerum. Songs like "For The Heart I Once Had" and "Meadows of Heaven" sound great.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #2812 on: November 24, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »

mine neither (that would be Floor), is it controversial to say I've never been a fan of Tarja?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2813 on: November 24, 2019, 09:48:57 AM »

mine neither (that would be Floor), is it controversial to say I've never been a fan of Tarja?

Controversial maybe, but I'm not a fan either. In fact the band never clicked with me (not even the big songs like Nemo) until I heard Dark Passion Play which gave me something to sink my teeth into. Oceanborn is the only Tarja-era album I enjoy from start to finish.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #2814 on: November 24, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »

Controversial maybe, but I'm not a fan either. In fact the band never clicked with me (not even the big songs like Nemo) until I heard Dark Passion Play which gave me something to sink my teeth into. Oceanborn is the only Tarja-era album I enjoy from start to finish.
yeah, The Poet And The Pendulum is a right old banger (among others on the album of course) as some friends of mine from the UK would say.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2815 on: November 24, 2019, 09:51:40 AM »
That probably reads like I'm making a big deal out of it, but I'm not, there's only a couple of moments where her vocal delivery bugs me and it's mostly on Scaretale (but the first minute of that song has to be top 10 Nightwish moments in my opinion). But I think Anette sounds absolutely wonderful in Nightwish, funnily enough I prefer her performance on DPP to Imaginaerum. Songs like "For The Heart I Once Had" and "Meadows of Heaven" sound great.

Haha, I knew you were talking about Scaretale, because I feel the same way, it's the way she says "Blind Me" and the echo.

Meadows of Heaven and Cadence of Her Last Breathe are my Favorite Anette moments.

It'd be amazing if they played Meadows of Heaven with Floor though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2816 on: November 25, 2019, 02:44:50 AM »
"I Want My Tears Back"  This might just be the worst title for a song I own.   Such a whiny title - sounds like a mock title someone would use to take the piss out of emo music.  Remember Millhouses Dad on the Simpsons makes up and sings 'Can I Borrow A Feelin' to his wife when she leaves him - 'I Want My Tears Back' would be his encore.

On the plus side - the song itself is actually decent...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2817 on: November 25, 2019, 04:51:03 AM »
The song is awesome, absolutely irresistible live or otherwise, and should be used instead of Captchas to verifiy if someone's a robot or not. You don't move during the uillean pipes solo, you're a robot.

And in the context of the lyrics, the title kinda fits, even though "I want my awe back" sounds weird and "I want my sense of wonder back" doesn't fit the metric.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2818 on: November 25, 2019, 04:54:59 AM »
I Want My Tears Back is a great song and a fun to see live. The title doesn't bother me, I don't know why one would consider it whiney. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 05:04:10 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2819 on: November 25, 2019, 06:43:43 AM »
I Want My Tears Back is a great song and a fun to see live. The title doesn't bother me, I don't know why one would consider it whiney.

+1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2820 on: November 25, 2019, 07:49:43 AM »

+1

+1 as well, although I would consider The Dark Element to have "whiney lyrics" and I get an I Want My Tears back vibe from Get Out of My Head from the chorus.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2821 on: November 25, 2019, 10:57:35 AM »
For anyone who know both I always thought that ICS Vortex was Marco Hietalas evil and more aggressive twin brother.  :laugh:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2822 on: November 26, 2019, 03:33:43 AM »
For anyone who know both I always thought that ICS Vortex was Marco Hietalas evil and more aggressive twin brother.  :laugh:
Haha, I agree with this assessment!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2823 on: November 26, 2019, 04:11:55 AM »

I like the song, just hate the title.  I just can't imagine one adult speaking to another and saying 'I want my tears back' without being mocked heavily  ;D   I can however imagine it as the title of piece of poetry by an emo teenager!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2824 on: November 26, 2019, 05:32:04 AM »

I can however imagine it as the title of piece of poetry by an emo teenager!
  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2825 on: November 26, 2019, 11:32:10 AM »

I like the song, just hate the title.  I just can't imagine one adult speaking to another and saying 'I want my tears back' without being mocked heavily  ;D   I can however imagine it as the title of piece of poetry by an emo teenager!

Or a decent manboy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2826 on: December 04, 2019, 08:47:27 AM »
Almost forgot the live album comes out this Friday, just pre-ordered the blu-ray/cds so I can have it this Friday (I'm off from work, so this gives me something to watch)  :metal :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2827 on: December 04, 2019, 10:17:09 AM »
Almost forgot the live album comes out this Friday, just pre-ordered the blu-ray/cds so I can have it this Friday (I'm off from work, so this gives me something to watch)  :metal :metal

Holy crap, already! I better get on that as well.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2828 on: December 05, 2019, 01:47:33 AM »
Vehicle of Spirit demanded a CD release, but we only got one as part of the big box set, otherwise we were stuck with a DVD/BluRay. Decades Live gets a CD but no DVD. Honestly, the way these record labels make format decisions staggers me. I blame Tool.

What I meant to say was - looking forward to this! Just in time for Xmas, and whets my appetite for the new album!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2829 on: December 05, 2019, 02:17:17 AM »
I bet / assume they look at sales figure and go with whatever it's more profitable or forecast to sell better. But yeah, sometimes it's irritating the way packages are done.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2830 on: December 05, 2019, 08:38:25 AM »
I think this is the best packaging they could do.  Blu ray and double CD for $18 on amazon.  DVD is obsolete and I'm so glad they aren't packaging it with the CD or forcing in with the blu-ray too and making it all more expensive a la Sons of Apollo (although I blame the label, not the band as they did this for Devin Townsend too.... Inside Out looking at you)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2831 on: December 06, 2019, 01:40:19 PM »
Anette has been hinting about a secret project for a couple of month on instagram now.
Seems as though the Allen/Olzon 'Worlds Apart' album due for release in March 2020 is it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2832 on: December 06, 2019, 03:09:10 PM »
I just ordered the Vehicle of Spirit 2CD/2BR set from Nuclear Blast during their Black Friday sale. Got it for $9.99.

Now another set is out. Maybe next Black Friday.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: December 06, 2019, 03:31:23 PM »
Anette has been hinting about a secret project for a couple of month on instagram now.
Seems as though the Allen/Olzon 'Worlds Apart' album due for release in March 2020 is it.

Whooooa... what's this now??

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2834 on: December 06, 2019, 04:27:09 PM »

Whooooa... what's this now??

A little googling shows it is on Amazon.de coming from the Frontier Factory.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history