Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317789 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2730 on: November 01, 2019, 10:16:33 AM »
Yea no one is complaining and they've released some well done one off live songs too, I think they love showcasing Floor and rightfully so.  The whole band is really on fire from a performance perspective since Floor and Troy officially joined the band.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2731 on: November 01, 2019, 11:05:16 AM »
No worries...just wanted to point that out, since they hadn't intended on doing a live show for the Showtime, Storytime release initially.  I'm glad that they're doing a lot of live releases since then - they are kicking all sorts of ass live and they had very little life releases prior to Floor joining.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2732 on: November 01, 2019, 11:14:53 AM »
Dammit Kai, solid as a rock!  :metal
he is Nightwish's Mike Mangini
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2733 on: November 01, 2019, 11:15:56 AM »

Well, not for me, since I enjoy Nightwish with Kai ;)

I do wish he was a bit more dynamic at times though. So I guess in that specific sense, he is like MM.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2734 on: November 01, 2019, 11:20:10 AM »

Well, not for me, since I enjoy Nightwish with Kai ;)

I do wish he was a bit more dynamic at times though. So I guess in that specific sense, he is like MM.
so do I, that's exactly why I said so. I do think that this is the definitive lineup for the band (so consistent and clean, much like DT is ever since MM came on board) I love the new single a lot too btw
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Adami

« Reply #2735 on: November 01, 2019, 11:29:17 AM »
Oh I was just less than subtly knocking MM era DT.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2736 on: November 04, 2019, 03:43:12 PM »
I do wish he was a bit more dynamic at times though.
He can't really let his freak flag fly in Nightwish, at least not compared to the music he is more used to playing.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2737 on: November 05, 2019, 07:11:37 AM »
New Dark Element video for Not Your Monster - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJvh7Ku7K6Q

They've fully aped the Nightwish sound on this one and it's awesome.   :metal

Offline Adami

« Reply #2738 on: November 05, 2019, 07:31:25 AM »
Meh. Way too generic and derivative for me.

I do like his shirt though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2739 on: November 05, 2019, 07:36:28 AM »
I feel like Jani's been fully aping Nightwish's sound since "Antemortem" on Stormcrow.

This album is shaping up to be way more entertaining than the first record, but I haven't gone back to that one since it came out. Maybe I'll put it on this weekend before diving into the new one. I like the new song.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2740 on: November 05, 2019, 08:44:00 AM »
A few songs from the first album came on my random shuffle yesterday which was a nice treat.  Digging the new song, and yea, it's a NW copy cat, but... it's good.  Can't help liking it.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2741 on: November 06, 2019, 03:56:37 AM »
Hoping Anette gets a big power ballad on this one to really let rip...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2742 on: November 06, 2019, 05:47:52 AM »
I feel like Jani's been fully aping Nightwish's sound since "Antemortem" on Stormcrow.
Antemortem was probably the best Nightwish song that came out that year :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2743 on: November 11, 2019, 02:28:13 AM »
Can't find a dedicated thread, but as they are mentioned on here -  The new Dark Element album is pretty great.

Sure it's nothing hugely original, it simply plays to their strengths - mixing of Power and Symphonic metal with the hooky melodies and choruses of Jim Steinman.  But it does this really well with all eleven tracks flow well, not really a total dud among them, an improvement on their pretty decent debut.  Only thing I'd like to see on the next album is a little bit of folk metal as that really suited Anette's voice on the folkier tracks her Nightwish output.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2744 on: November 11, 2019, 02:44:08 AM »
Only thing I'd like to see on the next album is a little bit of folk metal as that really suited Anette's voice on the folkier tracks her Nightwish output.
It would also fit well with Jani now being a full member of Insomnium, as they have a nice folk infusion in their music too.

And yeah I agree with all your comments, the album is hardly unique but it's really nice stuff.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2745 on: November 11, 2019, 08:10:29 AM »
I need to get this today.  Was too consumed this weekend to get it, but it's definitely an album I am highly anticipating.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2746 on: November 11, 2019, 08:59:44 AM »
Listened to it today after seeing some praise in the thread. A few good songs and didn't care much about the rest. No purchase for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2747 on: November 11, 2019, 09:08:01 AM »
Listened to it today after seeing some praise in the thread. A few good songs and didn't care much about the rest. No purchase for me.

Same here. Anette sporting the Tarja look doesn't help either.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2748 on: November 11, 2019, 09:15:58 AM »
I've listened to it twice so far. It's good, but sooner or later Nightwish might ask what gives. I wonder if Anette knows she's singing melodies from the last Nightwish album. The first album had one dud. This doesn't have any, and as good as the songs are, it's still a total rehash of the debut and Nightwish's style... Again. I'll buy it though. Also, the main riff in When It All Comes Down is very similar to Bruce Dickinson's Power of the Sun.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2749 on: November 11, 2019, 09:33:24 AM »
It's enjoyable, but I'm un-wow'd.  No purchase for me, and I'm not sure it'll captivate me to keep it in my Spotify rotation.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2750 on: November 11, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »
Well, I dont expect anything besides Nightwish with Annette and honestly, that's fine for me.  I certainly don't expect anything different. 

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2751 on: November 13, 2019, 06:47:41 AM »
It's very good, but stripped of the arrangements and strings, most of the songs aren't actually that strong, there are moments where you are anticipating the big note, the big chord change, and it just doesn't come.
And Anette really sounds like Agnetha Faltskog, especially on the last track.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2752 on: November 15, 2019, 04:52:54 AM »
Slaying the Dreamer live from the upcoming DVD  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA44tjaP5n0

This is to me the ultimate version of the song. What a riot it was to hear it live, with all the red lights and pyros galore (a pity they didn't use them in Buenos Aires)!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2753 on: November 15, 2019, 05:24:11 AM »
Nice!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2754 on: November 15, 2019, 06:19:12 AM »
 :o

Floor is gorgeous.  That is just awesome - I love how she doubles Marco on the heavy part of the song.  Can't wait for this Blu-ray!

Offline Adami

« Reply #2755 on: November 15, 2019, 07:09:22 AM »
Not sure if my soundbar was set to the wrong thing, but the guitar seemed really low in the mix.

And, as much as I love Nightwish, this seemed to lack a lot of.....energy. It actually seemed a bit boring at times, which for this tune seems odd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2756 on: November 15, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »
Not sure if my soundbar was set to the wrong thing, but the guitar seemed really low in the mix.

And, as much as I love Nightwish, this seemed to lack a lot of.....energy. It actually seemed a bit boring at times, which for this tune seems odd.

You can't see the crowd, I feel that takes away from some of the energy.  They show a few shots of the pit during the heavy outtro and you get a better sense of the energy, but I feel like the video is a bit too dark.... but that ending  :metal :metal

Floor's outfit is awesome too, can't wait to get this blu-ray.  Looks like it's going to be an awesome live album

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2757 on: November 15, 2019, 08:15:27 AM »
I love the clip. I will get the new live release immediately for sure.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2758 on: November 15, 2019, 11:13:04 AM »
Holy crap is the video dark. Will definately buy it for the cd.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2759 on: November 15, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »

Hmm the guitar sounds beefy with headphones atleast.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2760 on: November 15, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »

The sound was poo poo for me too, will try it with the fancy speakers. And yeah, their other DVDs have been recorded much better in the visual department too. I don't doubt being at the show was stunning, but the audio and video isn't wowing me.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2761 on: November 15, 2019, 03:24:44 PM »
Odd, I think soundwise these clips are better than their previous live offerings.

Visually I agree Nightwish can use a better filmcrew/director/editor, their recent live offerings are full of non-satisfying camera angles all the time, but thankfully the stage design is great and the band looks like they are having a great time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2762 on: November 18, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
Well this new Dark Element album is fantastic, about 5 or so full listens in from over the weekend (and just now).  My initial thought is it's stronger than the debut, a bit more interesting musically although very similar to the first album.  Lots of catchiness here, fun riffs, and Annette sounding NW style.  Great stuff again from this band. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2763 on: November 20, 2019, 02:28:17 AM »
Controversial opinion time.   I actually think both Dark Element album are much more enjoyable than Endless Forms Most Beautiful.   I admit Endless Forms is more adventurous, but for me a lot of that album falls flat and it's not helped by lifeless production.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2764 on: November 20, 2019, 03:40:55 AM »
Controversial opinion time.   I actually think both Dark Element album are much more enjoyable than Endless Forms Most Beautiful.   I admit Endless Forms is more adventurous, but for me a lot of that album falls flat and it's not helped by lifeless production.

I agree. I didn't think EFMB was bad at all, but The Dark Element in all their Nightwishness is much more enjoyable. Although I'm a fan of Nightwish, they aren't a band I go to very often, and are more of a greatest hits band for me. EFMB and Imaginareum are actually the only two albums of their I can say I enjoy from start to finish.