Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313905 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2695 on: October 13, 2019, 03:35:49 AM »
I don't know if it's true, it was just a random comment after all, but one of said comments said that the guy (who's been an actual Phantom for many years in theater productions) accepted to do the duet with Floor (who was the one who wanted him in the first place) on the condition that he could do it again with her when Nightwish would play Amsterdam.

If that's true, it will be another special evening not to be missed! thinking already ahead, and seeing how Floor completely and utterly nails the song, I wonder if they'll bring it back for the whole future tour....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2696 on: October 13, 2019, 05:30:39 AM »
He will be the special guest at her solo tour beginning next year. So I assume they will do Phantom there. Furthermore, to clarify, Floor grew up listening to him and Phantom of the Opera. She is a fan of his.

Edit: and yes, that deal appears to be true btw.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 06:09:12 AM by ErHaO »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2697 on: October 13, 2019, 07:19:55 AM »
Yay for the live DVD (since I missed the tour when they swang thru these here parts).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2698 on: October 13, 2019, 07:56:07 AM »
And now also The Phantom of the Opera is online  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plCScjvDOJM

Floor turns everyone into a metalhead in the studio!!!

Holy shit.   :hefdaddy

I need a cigarette.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2699 on: October 13, 2019, 09:02:24 AM »
 :lol that is an amazing performance and that dude is great too

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2700 on: October 13, 2019, 03:35:46 PM »
Read an interview with Floor and she detailed some things about her solo tour. She will be doing songs from After Forever, ReVamp, Northwind and offcourse Nightwish. But all supposedly in a more subtle, softer fashion, so less roaring guitars than usual. And I assume she will do most if not all songs from the tv show Beste Zangers, as it is the same band that is with her. Would be nice if they record it (at the very least audio). Though I must say we are getting a lot of fantastic live footage of Floor these days.

Anyways, really looking forward to that show! And offcourse Nightwish later in the year! And it is pretty much confirmed they will do Phantom of the Opera, which will be a treat.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2701 on: October 14, 2019, 05:21:22 AM »
Wish they would have played this on the Decades tour, though it's great we first got a recording of Floor doing it without the band - as an appetizer for what's to come! That guy is freakin' fantastic, I bet Marco is feeling the heat right now  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JLa

« Reply #2702 on: October 14, 2019, 05:44:06 AM »
Wow, that duet (Phantom of the Opera) was just amazing.  :o Both singers were excellent.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2703 on: October 14, 2019, 09:18:44 AM »
I thought Floor did an amazing job, but I didn't care for the other guy AT ALL.  I think he unintentionally brought an even creepier vibe to the song, and not in a good way.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2704 on: October 15, 2019, 01:15:45 AM »
I thought Floor did an amazing job, but I didn't care for the other guy AT ALL.  I think he unintentionally brought an even creepier vibe to the song, and not in a good way.

Everyone has their own taste and all, but I don't really get this being overly creepy in the realm of this song. The actual Phantoms during performances are touchy murderous and kidnapping creeps. Save for the difference that these days, the Phantom role is often portrayed by a good looking young(er) man like, say, Ramin Karimloo.

Anyways, I loved the performance on Beste Zangers, might be my favourite actually. And I did not care for the Nightwish version with Tarja/Marco, as much as I love those singers.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2705 on: October 15, 2019, 01:49:15 AM »
I'm a Dutchie and Floor really is the talk of the town these last couple of weeks. Started watching the show because of her (I usually don't watch it). It's a nice show even though it's overdoes the emotional side of things quite a bit. And also, it's tuned to absolute death. I haven't heard a single off-note the entire season, which is basically impossible.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2706 on: October 15, 2019, 02:15:08 AM »

Everyone has their own taste and all, but I don't really get this being overly creepy in the realm of this song. The actual Phantoms during performances are touchy murderous and kidnapping creeps. Save for the difference that these days, the Phantom role is often portrayed by a good looking young(er) man like, say, Ramin Karimloo.

Anyways, I loved the performance on Beste Zangers, might be my favourite actually. And I did not care for the Nightwish version with Tarja/Marco, as much as I love those singers.

Yeah, having read the actual novel, I can only confirm that it's only right to have an older Phantom creeping on a young Christine. He took advantage of her naivety by passing as the "angel of music" sent by her dead father to teach her to sing, while in reality he was a poor disfigured dude living in the vaults of the Opera. He's possessive and jealous of her, and the stern and serious look on Henk's face is a nice contrast to Floor's interpretation where she's all giddy and even sensual, so happy to sing for her master.

Nice job on both sides I'd say, then of course the way they both act the song can either be liked or not.

About the original Nightwish version, it's a quite good metal version of the song. Floor will make it even better I'm sure! (well, she actually did already!)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline majo

« Reply #2707 on: October 15, 2019, 06:22:19 AM »
I don't know if it's true, it was just a random comment after all, but one of said comments said that the guy (who's been an actual Phantom for many years in theater productions) accepted to do the duet with Floor (who was the one who wanted him in the first place) on the condition that he could do it again with her when Nightwish would play Amsterdam.

If that's true, it will be another special evening not to be missed! thinking already ahead, and seeing how Floor completely and utterly nails the song, I wonder if they'll bring it back for the whole future tour....
yep, Nov 2020 show. And I believe it's already sold out  ;D
(as is her smaller tour with the band from the tv show)
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2708 on: October 15, 2019, 01:01:50 PM »

Yeah, having read the actual novel, I can only confirm that it's only right to have an older Phantom creeping on a young Christine. He took advantage of her naivety by passing as the "angel of music" sent by her dead father to teach her to sing, while in reality he was a poor disfigured dude living in the vaults of the Opera. He's possessive and jealous of her, and the stern and serious look on Henk's face is a nice contrast to Floor's interpretation where she's all giddy and even sensual, so happy to sing for her master.

Nice job on both sides I'd say, then of course the way they both act the song can either be liked or not.

About the original Nightwish version, it's a quite good metal version of the song. Floor will make it even better I'm sure! (well, she actually did already!)

I get all of that.  I'm just saying that, seeing that portrayed OUTSIDE the context of a production, it just feels...odd. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2709 on: October 15, 2019, 01:03:38 PM »
The only things I didn’t like were his pronunciation and some of his choices of when to sing. I liked him otherwise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2710 on: October 17, 2019, 07:42:09 AM »
Mary Z broke down one of Floor's performances on that show:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=122EkOt0Fx8

I love her videos because she has such a vast knowledge of the mechanics of different styles of singing.  And she does her homework and knows about whatever artist she is reviewing as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2711 on: October 17, 2019, 09:23:49 AM »
Mary Z broke down one of Floor's performances on that show:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=122EkOt0Fx8

I love her videos because she has such a vast knowledge of the mechanics of different styles of singing.  And she does her homework and knows about whatever artist she is reviewing as well.

I don't watch vocal reviews much, but when I do, I go to the Rebecca Vocal Athlete channel for these kinds of things.  First time I saw her was reviewing Ghost Love Score.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_9eGsITjA

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2712 on: October 17, 2019, 09:40:25 AM »
Yeah, RVA's channel is fun.  I've seen a lot of her stuff.  But if you haven't checked out Mary Z's channel, do so.  It is a VERY different kind of channel.  She does mostly vocal instruction stuff, and a lot of that is geared toward metal, and she REALLY knows her stuff.  Her reactions are much more geared toward analysis and technique than, say, RVA or BethRoars, despite them also being vocal coaches.  I always come away from her videos feeling like I've learned something valuable about singing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:54:45 AM by bosk1 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2713 on: October 17, 2019, 10:29:21 AM »
Yeah, RVA's channel is fun.  I've seen a lot of her stuff.  But if you haven't checked out Mary Z's channel, do so.  It is a VERY different kind of channel.  She does mostly vocal instruction stuff, and a lot of that is geared toward metal, and she REALLY knows her stuff.  Her reactions are much more geared toward analysis and technique than, say, RVA or BethRoars, despite them also being vocal coaches.  I always come away from her videos feeling like I've learned something valuable about singing.

Yeah well... you've got talent in that arena.  Me, definitely not.  I could increase my knowledge by a hundred-fold, but 100*0 is still zero.   :lol

I just like watching RVA's reactions.  And dat accent!  :drool:

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2714 on: October 21, 2019, 07:57:21 AM »
And now also The Phantom of the Opera is online  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plCScjvDOJM

Floor turns everyone into a metalhead in the studio!!!
That was SPECTACULAR!!!!!  It was so good my allergies kicked in a bit.... :o

I would love to see that live with Nightwish.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2715 on: October 21, 2019, 01:14:34 PM »
New song from the forthcoming Dark Element album, due early November.
https://youtu.be/pIdBinlW40E

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2716 on: October 21, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »

Good stuff, looking forward to this album  :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2717 on: October 22, 2019, 04:56:54 AM »
Weird lyrics. Good song.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2718 on: October 22, 2019, 10:30:46 AM »
Weird lyrics. Good song.

Definitely not a fan of their lyrics from the last album either, this seems like it's going down the same path.  My only negative on them.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2719 on: October 22, 2019, 11:06:28 AM »
Jani is kinda hit or miss with the lyrics. Some of his lines, I'd fucking tattoo them on my body; and some others, he lays the cringe on THICK  :D this wasn't cringy but it did sound like it was written in about 5 minutes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2720 on: November 01, 2019, 08:34:42 AM »
First live release of a song from Decades: Live In Buenos Aires....

Devil and The Deep Dark Ocean
https://youtu.be/t26r_vAYQ0Q
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2721 on: November 01, 2019, 08:39:40 AM »
Wow, this is awesome.  Video is a bit too dark, but the sound and performance  :metal Nice to see this old one with Marco and Floor singing it so well.  Never been one of my favorite songs but I really like this after only being half way done with my first listen.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2722 on: November 01, 2019, 09:00:35 AM »
Wow, this is awesome.  Video is a bit too dark, but the sound and performance  :metal Nice to see this old one with Marco and Floor singing it so well.  Never been one of my favorite songs but I really like this after only being half way done with my first listen.

It was fantastic live. One of the highlights of the night.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2723 on: November 01, 2019, 09:02:41 AM »
Not one of my favorite older songs, but I'm excited for this release since I didn't get to see the tour.  I need to pre-order this and the new Slayer live show as well.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2724 on: November 01, 2019, 09:10:11 AM »
Sounded good. I actually wish the brought in a guest vocalist for Marco's parts. I prefer that super deep evil voice for this song specifically, as much as I love Marco.

Also....I'm just never impressed with the visuals for these shows.

They need to find whomever filmed/edited the Kamelot DVD and hire them to do everything, THAT is a visual experience.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2725 on: November 01, 2019, 09:24:09 AM »
Is it just me or does Nightwish LOVE releasing live material this decade? Like damn. I know a new album is coming, but I feel like they're always releasing some new live video
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2726 on: November 01, 2019, 09:26:48 AM »
Dammit Kai, solid as a rock!  :metal

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2727 on: November 01, 2019, 09:42:02 AM »
Dammit Kai, solid as a rock!  :metal

Yea, he's great in this song.

Is it just me or does Nightwish LOVE releasing live material this decade? Like damn. I know a new album is coming, but I feel like they're always releasing some new live video

I think it's because they consistently have good live material to share.  They didn't have so much with Annette, but since Floor joined, their live performances are just really top notch.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2728 on: November 01, 2019, 10:09:22 AM »

I think it's because they consistently have good live material to share.  They didn't have so much with Annette, but since Floor joined, their live performances are just really top notch.

To be fair, the band has only really released one live show of their own accord - Vehicle of Spirit, documenting the live tour from the first album with Floor.

They went to Nuclear Blast with the 2-hour "Please Learn the Setlist in 48 Hours" documentary and Nuclear Blast told them that the only way to put that documentary film out was to include a live show as well.  So they were forced to include the Wacken show on that release at the label's insistence.

I completely get them recording and releasing the Decades tour - they completely admitted that they'd never play some of those old songs again after the tour.  So why not capture it and put it out for fans?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2729 on: November 01, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »
Oh I'm not complaining so much about the live releases as I am the Blind Guardian-levels of wait time between records.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"