Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317340 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2660 on: October 02, 2019, 02:01:26 PM »
I wasn't sure if that was meant in context to the music or the music video

Most likely the music video.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2661 on: October 02, 2019, 02:02:13 PM »
I wasn't sure if that was meant in context to the music or the music video

Most likely the music video.

That's what I initially thought but it seemed some comments I read on other sites were taking it as the music, and it made me question my own interpretation a bit.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2662 on: October 02, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »
The new album is recorded, not sure if they are doing anything additional (orchestra and choirs) at another studio.
A video is being filmed for the first single.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2663 on: October 02, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
What do you get when you mix Nightwish with The Dark Element?

This band:

Astralium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFgK0HUOeEM

Not bad, but not an ounce of originality.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2664 on: October 02, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
The album is done?

Jesus. Where the hell have I been?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2665 on: October 02, 2019, 02:57:48 PM »
The album is done?

Yeah same, wtf, I thought I was keeping tabs on this one. Oh well, that's a nice surprise, honestly.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

« Reply #2666 on: October 02, 2019, 02:58:24 PM »

This band:

Astralium

I feel like they’re the Transmorphers to Nightwishs Transformers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2667 on: October 02, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »

This band:

Astralium

I feel like they’re the Transmorphers to Nightwishs Transformers.

It's not that bad. Some knock off companies are producing better transformers than Hasbro. I'll put them in that category, but certainly not Asylum movie bad. I can picture Anette doing her cute dance while singing this song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2668 on: October 02, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »
I hope the new one is better than what they put out last time. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2669 on: October 02, 2019, 05:35:35 PM »
The album is done?

Yeah same, wtf, I thought I was keeping tabs on this one. Oh well, that's a nice surprise, honestly.

They've mostly been very quiet.  Floor tweets a bit and had sent many about recording for awhile, her latest about the video shoot seems to imply the recording is done.  They haven't as a band really announced much.  Shows are slowly trickling out for Europe next year though.  Looking forward to the album and their return to the US, maybe later 2020 or 2021.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2670 on: October 03, 2019, 03:54:37 AM »
The band have usually recorded the album, then had the orchestra and choirs recorded afterwards, then recorded any final overdubs after that, so while the initial recordings may be done, I think they're still some way from being done done.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2671 on: October 03, 2019, 04:10:25 AM »
Last I knew was that in May, which seemed so far last year when they were touring for Decades, they would converge at their "summer camp" where Tuomas would present the songs. Evidently from May 'til know has been enough to do at least the basic recordings (as the Curious Orange pointed out).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2672 on: October 03, 2019, 03:19:59 PM »
You didn't like the last one?  It's not my fav, but being Floors first studio album I thought it was good.  Only thing I was not a fan of was the overall theme.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2673 on: October 04, 2019, 06:00:14 AM »
You didn't like the last one?  It's not my fav, but being Floors first studio album I thought it was good.  Only thing I was not a fan of was the overall theme.

For me, the album has grown massively, allthough I already liked it when it came out. And I love some of the live versions. The Greatest Show on Earth live in Tampere is a fantastic ride.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2674 on: October 04, 2019, 07:27:48 AM »
The last album was quite derivative of some older Nightwish works; can't remember which one but there's a dead ringer for Sahara on EFMB, and Shudder Before The Beautiful is basically Dark Chest of Wonders 2.0. I also for some reason really dislike My Walden. Weak Fantasy is probably my favorite on the album. Greatest Show On Earth is all right but to be honest those first few minutes are my favorite so it's all downhill after that

I hope Floor is used to her fullest potential on this one, because she wasn't on EFMB
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #2675 on: October 04, 2019, 08:46:42 AM »
I agree about the theme.  Way too heavy into Darwinism,  as I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum..lol!
 It's still a very enjoyable album with well written and uplifting music.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2676 on: October 04, 2019, 09:04:32 AM »
It was a huge turnoff for me.  Easily my least favorite in their discography (although it had some really cool moments).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2677 on: October 04, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »
Not a huge fan of the darwinism stuff either, but musically it's fantastic.  It's my favorite NW album.  I do think Floor wasn't used to her potential and hopefully they unleash her more on the new album.

Offline 425

« Reply #2678 on: October 04, 2019, 10:01:30 AM »
I have no personal objections to Darwinism, but as a theme for an album I did find that it was not nearly as compelling as the sort of topics that Tuomas has written about in the past. I'm definitely hoping for a new lyrical direction on the new one.

As for my overall evaluation of the album, I like it (as I do all Nightwish albums), but I agree with Katt that it feels similar to stuff from their prior albums in a lot of places (Shudder -> Dark Chest, My Walden -> I Want My Tears Back, Alpenglow -> Last Ride)—though I don't know what you think sounds like Sahara?

I hope to hear a bit more of a new direction from them on this album rather than EFMB part 2, though I imagine I'll enjoy it regardless, seeing how much I like all of their post-AFF albums.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2679 on: October 04, 2019, 11:14:25 AM »
I actually really enjoyed the idea behind Greatest Show on Earth. But then again, I am part biologist and have been involved in scientific projects that relate to the conservation and mutation of genomes (on micro organisms, how they evolve over time and how natural selection works, people in my field use it to predict certain evolutions for vaccine purposes, for example). Life and nature are something beautiful and special, because the odds are so incredibly low. But honestly, for the other songs I never really thought about the lyrics.

I just think Dawkins is a douche, but fortunately his lines aren't douchy here.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 11:24:06 AM by ErHaO »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2680 on: October 04, 2019, 11:17:28 AM »
I have no personal objections to Darwinism, but as a theme for an album I did find that it was not nearly as compelling as the sort of topics that Tuomas has written about in the past. I'm definitely hoping for a new lyrical direction on the new one.

As for my overall evaluation of the album, I like it (as I do all Nightwish albums), but I agree with Katt that it feels similar to stuff from their prior albums in a lot of places (Shudder -> Dark Chest, My Walden -> I Want My Tears Back, Alpenglow -> Last Ride)—though I don't know what you think sounds like Sahara?

I hope to hear a bit more of a new direction from them on this album rather than EFMB part 2, though I imagine I'll enjoy it regardless, seeing how much I like all of their post-AFF albums.

I hear a lot of Sahara in Yours Is An Empty Hope.

Offline 425

« Reply #2681 on: October 04, 2019, 11:21:22 AM »

Huh, can't say I really ever thought of that. Yours Is an Empty Hope is a pretty fast, heavy song, while Sahara is mostly mid-tempo. But now that you mention it, I can see the similarity in the chorus melody—is that mainly where you hear it?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2682 on: October 04, 2019, 11:26:48 AM »

Huh, can't say I really ever thought of that. Yours Is an Empty Hope is a pretty fast, heavy song, while Sahara is mostly mid-tempo. But now that you mention it, I can see the similarity in the chorus melody—is that mainly where you hear it?

Yeah, a little there, but compounded with the tempo and what the strings are doing, it always makes me think of Sahara. Although there are moments in that song that just sound like the standard Nightwish formula, to be fair.

The beginning of "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" reminds me of another Nightwish song from the DPP-onward era but I just can't pinpoint it, up til Floor comes in.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2683 on: October 04, 2019, 11:32:35 AM »
The beginning of "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" reminds me of another Nightwish song from the DPP-onward era but I just can't pinpoint it, up til Floor comes in.

I've felt that's very similar to Wish I Had an Angel - some electronic/synthesizer elements, a dancy beat and a similar riff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2684 on: October 04, 2019, 02:12:03 PM »
Floor does a small intimate (seated) solo tour in the Netherlands in January next year, just got my tickets for 013!  ;D She will be accompanied by the band of that tv show.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2685 on: October 04, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »
Floor, like Bruce Dickinson, is someone who should release an album called "Whatever I felt like singing this morning", with the contents of the album reflecting the title. And it would rock.

And I love the science side of Endless Forms Most Beautiful! I'm not crazy about the "24" minutes song but it's a solid tune and life on planet Earth really deserves a huge and majestic piece like that.

Offline majo

« Reply #2686 on: October 05, 2019, 02:09:42 AM »
Floor does a small intimate (seated) solo tour in the Netherlands in January next year, just got my tickets for 013!  ;D She will be accompanied by the band of that tv show.
well... she's becoming a dutch megastar thanks to that TV show... a it was about fuc*ing time  :metal
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2687 on: October 05, 2019, 08:42:40 AM »
Floor, like Bruce Dickinson, is someone who should release an album called "Whatever I felt like singing this morning", with the contents of the album reflecting the title. And it would rock.

Probably would, but I'd also love another Northward album.  I love her singing on it, a different style of rock music, and absolutely love Jorn's guitar playing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: October 11, 2019, 08:00:41 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nightwish-to-release-decades-live-in-buenos-aires-in-december/?fbclid=IwAR1_TifEHOjCNlvNpVA85flWuSZev40nMIi3Oko7SH0aoQPWr4O_s5xEHu4

Finnish/Dutch/British symphonic metallers NIGHTWISH will release "Decades: Live In Buenos Aires" on December 6 as a Blu-ray digibook, 2CD digipak, Blu-ray+2CD earbook and 3LP via Nuclear Blast. The set was recorded on September 30, 2018 at Estadio Malvinas in Buenos Aires, Argentina during the "Decades" tour in support of the band's compilation album of the same name.

"Decades: Live In Buenos Aires" was captured by 19 cameras on that extraordinary night in Argentina. NIGHTWISH came out to the rousing "End Of All Hope" and took its final bow to the unmatched epic "Ghost Love Score". In between saw a set filled with pure trailblazing glory — incorporating distinguished tracks "Wish I Had An Angel", "Sacrament Of Wilderness", "Elvenpath", "Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean", "Dead Boy's Poem" and many more.

"I didn't just want to pick out the most successful NIGHTWISH songs for this tour," keyboardist and main songwriter Tuomas Holopainen explains. "Instead, I asked myself which songs I would play to somebody who had never heard of our band. At some point during the preparation process, I realized that I was smiling all the time. I remembered the curious, innocent boy writing all of these songs."

"Decades: Live In Buenos Aires" track listing:

Blu-ray

01. Swanheart
02. End Of All Hope
03. Wish I Had An Angel
04. 10th Man Down

05. Come Cover Me
06. Gethsemane
07. Élan
08. Sacrament Of Wilderness
09. Deep Silent Complete
10. Dead Boy's Poem
11. Elvenjig
12. Elvenpath
13. I Want My Tears Back
14. Amaranth
15. The Carpenter
16. The Kinslayer
17. Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean
18. Nemo
19. Slaying The Dreamer
20. The Greatest Show On Earth
21. Ghost Love Score

Insta buy for me  :metal :metal

Offline Adami

« Reply #2689 on: October 11, 2019, 08:06:37 AM »
Yesssssssss!!!!

I hope they have a bonus feature of the 10-20 minute whale sounds that preceded the show on an endless loop. Ugh.

No trailer?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2690 on: October 11, 2019, 08:33:14 AM »
That was back when they still didn't put Dark Chest of Wonders as opener, loved the contrast at my show between the intro of Swanheart, which was acoustic and with the flute and there was a blue light and a nice atmosphHOLY SHIT FLAMES AND RED LIGHTS OUT OF NOWHERE DARK CHEST OF WONDERS HAS BEGUN  :metal

It's gonna be a nice Christmas treat and incidentally it comes out one year and one day after I've seen them. It will be nice to relive it all!!!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2691 on: October 11, 2019, 08:48:48 AM »
Oooh, cool! Got many hours of pleasure from past Nightwish live releases so this is a no brainer for me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2692 on: October 11, 2019, 10:47:16 PM »
I have so little time for concert DVDs these days. It's releases like this that made me wish that wasn't the case.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2693 on: October 12, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »
And now also The Phantom of the Opera is online  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plCScjvDOJM

Floor turns everyone into a metalhead in the studio!!!

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #2694 on: October 13, 2019, 12:26:04 AM »
And now also The Phantom of the Opera is online  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plCScjvDOJM

Floor turns everyone into a metalhead in the studio!!!
That was awesome!   That last note  :omg: :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP