Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 316562 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2590 on: January 27, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »
JLA, I would totally recommend getting the Vehicle of Spirit blu ray over Wacken. Two concerts and I think both are better than Wacken.

Especially the Tampere show. Floor kills it on that release, Sleeping Sun is beautiful.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2591 on: January 27, 2019, 10:02:51 AM »
JLA, I would totally recommend getting the Vehicle of Spirit blu ray over Wacken. Two concerts and I think both are better than Wacken.

Especially the Tampere show. Floor kills it on that release, Sleeping Sun is beautiful.
Oh so much this!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline JLa

« Reply #2592 on: January 27, 2019, 03:24:09 PM »
Hm, Tampere.. Home turf.. Probably a good one. Is Ghost Love Score on it? *that ending*

Just watched parts of the Wacken gig again. Getting addicted, haha  :lol

It struck me, Floor hadn't been with the band very long back then? As Marco introduced her for the crowd at around 10 mins? It looks and sounds like she's been with them since forever. I love her attitude! Dayum she puts on a show.

And that drummer, awesome grooves going on. I understand he is out now. His replacement has some shoes to fill.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2593 on: January 27, 2019, 03:40:09 PM »
Yes, Ghost Love Score is on Tampere and it is awesome!  Their new drummer rocks and plays tighter imo.  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2594 on: January 27, 2019, 03:42:49 PM »
Tighter and definitely more technical, but Jukka had a Lars element of just pounding the drums and giving them energy. New guy hits much softer and lacks some of that energy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #2595 on: January 29, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »
I had been aware of Nightwish for years but the penny never dropped. Recently though I watched Ghost Love Score (Wacken 2013) and my jaw hit the floor (no pun intended) and was almost moved to tears. I now have the EFMB album which is just amazing as well as Once and Dark Passion Play. Also got the Wembley/Tampere double Blu Ray - I am amazed by this band.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2596 on: January 29, 2019, 01:03:17 PM »
Speaking of NW drummers and Tampere, last Friday I saw Kai walk to a local hotel while I was waiting for my bus. :D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2597 on: April 23, 2019, 06:01:27 PM »
https://www.avrotros.nl/beste-zangers/gemist/detail/item/dit-zijn-de-beste-zangers-van-2019/ (Dutch link, just as a source)

Floor will participate in the Dutch tv show "Beste Zangers van Nederland" (which translates to best singers of the Netherlands).

Basically, it is a tv show in which a bunch of (mostly) well known singers perform a variety of covers. I think it is about 8 episodes. Usually each singer has a song per episode, sometimes duets. And they also cover songs from each other. I haven't follow the show enough to know the exact premise, but have watched episodes throughout the years and enjoyed them. The show tends to be fairly intimate, with just a bunch of (good) musicians with a good vibe.  Usually the artists chat about their performances and in the end, the artists will vote and there will be a winner (per episode and of the whole season).

To give an idea what to expect, here is a performance example (pop artist Do covering a well known pop song): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evwluG1_Nbg

As you can see, we should expect some good recordings of Floor singing. Keep in mind though:  the show is usually focused on pop songs and also features a lot of songs in the Dutch language. Chances are Floor will perform songs in genres removed far from what her fans are used to. But that makes it all the more interesting to me.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2598 on: May 10, 2019, 07:42:18 PM »
Marko is releasing his debut solo album, initially it's only released in Finland and sung in his native tongue.
I do believe that their will be an international version in the English language to follow.
He describe the music as 'hard prog' and the first single is just that
https://open.spotify.com/album/5faviMQXxlTo0Tb2QxO5Ee

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2599 on: May 10, 2019, 08:15:37 PM »
Here is the interview talking about the above mentioned solo album
https://youtu.be/asLJvpwnAJ8

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2600 on: May 24, 2019, 06:51:57 PM »
If anyone cares, Marco's album is out and it is very good.
A quite diverse record, loads of different sounds and styles, but the influences are deeply rooted in prog.
The songwriting is very strong, the emotion in his voice more than makes up for the language barrier.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2601 on: May 25, 2019, 04:32:26 AM »
Cool, I'll definitely check it out. He's a very talented musician!  :tup

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2602 on: May 25, 2019, 04:08:25 PM »

Yea, I should check it out I really like his singing in Avantasia and as a guest in Delain, this could be really good just based on what I know.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2603 on: May 27, 2019, 08:06:19 AM »
Tighter and definitely more technical, but Jukka had a Lars element of just pounding the drums and giving them energy. New guy hits much softer and lacks some of that energy.
I miss Jukka's energy...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2604 on: May 27, 2019, 11:32:12 AM »
What is Nightwish up to? Last album came out over 4 years ago. Is Tuomas writing anything?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2605 on: May 27, 2019, 01:58:55 PM »
Yes, if I remember correctly, this was the month he would present the songs to the band. The new album is gonna come out sometime next year.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2606 on: May 27, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
The band are demoing and recording at their summer camp this year.
Marco is touring his new album with a few festival appearances, not sure if Emppu is doing anything with Brother Firetribe.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2607 on: May 28, 2019, 02:48:45 AM »
It does seem a bit odd that the band get a new vocalist and release a highly acclaimed album, and then wouldn't want to capitalise on that momentum.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2608 on: May 28, 2019, 02:52:24 AM »
I remember reading that they did the compilation and "greatest hits / rarities" tour because it didn't feel right and stimulating to go immediately into another new album + tour cycle.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2609 on: May 28, 2019, 06:45:10 AM »
I consider myself a fan, but I don't like Tarja's vocal style (I enjoy most of the songs though). I prefer Floor by a lot. I'm thinking about getting Vehicle Of Spirit (seeing as someone posted about it above me)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2610 on: May 28, 2019, 07:14:54 AM »
I consider myself a fan, but I don't like Tarja's vocal style (I enjoy most of the songs though). I prefer Floor by a lot. I'm thinking about getting Vehicle Of Spirit (seeing as someone posted about it above me)

You should try Dark Passion Play; Anette does a really good job on that album and there are some straight-up rockers.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2611 on: May 28, 2019, 07:20:36 AM »

Yea, I should check it out I really like his singing in Avantasia and as a guest in Delain, this could be really good just based on what I know.
So I'm in the mood to get into this comment thread and shine a light on maybe more obscure Marco goodness.

Obviously Tarot is the big one, his band before Nightwish. They have several albums with some hits and misses, I find the live DVD Undead Indeed is a good way to get into them.

Northern Kings is another big one - it's a symphonic metal project that reimagines 80's pop and rock songs with four of the best vocalists in Finland. There's only two albums so they're worth listening to in full, but if you're short for time, here's two standout solo Marco tracks: Don't Stop Believing, In the Air Tonight.

There's also the project Raskasta Joulua which features the same cast + many more Finnish metal vocalists, they publish an album of heavy metal covers of Finnish Xmas songs about once a year and tour Finland extensively once a year. Here's a little acoustic bit from the four Northern Kings guys: Heinillä härkien kaukalon. Beware that you'll be falling into a youtube rabbit hole if you like this and want to see more - so many priceless live videos over the years. Marco's voice sounds totally different in Finnish.

Floor and Marco shared a song once before Nightwish, this After Forever track called Face Your Demons.

The guitarist of Sonata Arctica had a few shred solo albums, and on the last one he put out two hard rock tracks with vocals, Marco features on Last Breath of Love

Nuclear Blast Allstars was a compilation project with loads of NB musicians and some surprisingly decent songwriting. Marco features on this power metal song Inner Sanctuary.

You've probably heard of Sinergy - Alexi Laiho's heavy metal band. Marco played bass for them and shares lead vocal duties on Lead Us To War and Last Escape.

Dreamtale is a cheesy power metal band, they put out one particularly ridiculous album featuring Marco's NK/RJ colleague Jarkko Ahola. Before all that, Marco was a guest on a few of their songs, Where The Rainbow Ends is my favorite, probably because it's a carbon copy of like... several Stratovarius songs  :loser:

Metal Archives lists a lot of other credits, mostly backing vocals, these are only a few that I remember really liking over the years (that aren't Avantasia, Ayreon or Delain).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:31:45 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2612 on: May 28, 2019, 08:05:34 AM »

You should try Dark Passion Play; Anette does a really good job on that album and there are some straight-up rockers.
I have that and I like it quite a bit actually (The Poet And The Pendulum particularly.) and yes, I like what Annette did.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2613 on: May 28, 2019, 09:59:09 AM »

I have that and I like it quite a bit actually (The Poet And The Pendulum particularly.) and yes, I like what Annette did.

Then i recommend getting Vehicles of Spirit. The Poet and The Pendulum is fantastic and Floor kills it, possibly my favorite epic performance from Floor. Sleeping Sun is also great.

Now just to wait for a Decades Blurau so I can relive Gethsemane.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2614 on: May 28, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »

Is there a bluray in the works???

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2615 on: May 28, 2019, 04:53:11 PM »

Is there a bluray in the works???

I'm sure I heard something about that, not too sure.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2616 on: July 15, 2019, 06:37:19 AM »
So, not really a surprise, but Jukka Nevalainen has definitively left Nightwish.

There's a statement on their FB page; he's doing well and he has no longer insomnia problems, and he feels it's best that he doesn't push his luck and stays therefore out of the musical side of the band, that he will continue however to be a part of in the managerial side of things.

A pity to see him gone for good, but hey, I'd rather have him healthy and happy than being miserable and suffering in the band. He's gonna be behind the scenes anyway.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: July 15, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »
I've pretty much accepted he was not going to be drumming for them anymore, but nice to see Kai is officially in the band now and Jukka will continue to work on the "business side" of the band.  Sounds like the best for everyone involved.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2618 on: July 15, 2019, 07:15:54 AM »
Definitely not a surprise, but it's cool that Jukka is doing so much better.  I'm glad to see that everyone is happy and Kai gets to become a full band member.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2619 on: July 15, 2019, 10:22:47 AM »
Yeah, very happy for him, his health, and still remaining a part of the Nightwish family.  That being said, I miss his energy and style.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2620 on: July 16, 2019, 10:17:45 AM »
Definitely not a surprise, but it's cool that Jukka is doing so much better.  I'm glad to see that everyone is happy and Kai gets to become a full band member.
It's a win win situation.  Jukka is still a part of it all, and Kai is perfect for the roll. He is a beast on the Vehicle is Spirit blu-ray's!   :metal

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2622 on: July 16, 2019, 12:18:29 PM »
Excited for the next Dark Element record.  The first one is awesome.   :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2623 on: July 16, 2019, 12:45:03 PM »
Excited for the next Dark Element record.  The first one is awesome.   :metal

Yup, looking forward to this

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2624 on: July 17, 2019, 01:15:16 AM »
Oh, it's a heart with nails in it - At first glance I thought it was a set of bagpipes.

Don't like the way they're still putting their names on the cover - it was understandable for the first album, but starts to look a bit like insecurity on the second.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."