Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317361 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2555 on: December 09, 2018, 04:45:40 AM »
Prices for the last show they did here in Toronto were outrageous - over $100.  They were playing a very historic theater that holds just around 2000.  First time they'd jumped up to a real theater, from playing standing-only "bars" that have a 600-900 person capacity (or smaller).  Not sure why they thought they could double their prices at the same time.  I didn't end up going, and have no idea how well it was attended.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2556 on: December 09, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »
The price here I'd say it was justified, for a big band with a full production with screens and an insane amount of pyros and fires. Cheaper than Iron Maiden and other giants (I assume Slayer's farewell tour costed more), but more costly than anyone else.

About Jukka, gut feeling is that he won't be back, if he feels good and changes his mind, all for the better.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2557 on: December 09, 2018, 12:38:25 PM »
I really like Kai's drumming!  I think he plays a bit tighter and puts more of a energetic feel to Nightwish's live shows. He's a monster on the kit!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2558 on: December 09, 2018, 08:15:36 PM »
I really like Kai. Seeing Jukka return would also be cool, but at least the guy has an active position in the band and is doing well now.

Dream Theater and Nightwish play similar venues here, but Iron Maiden play the big arenas.  I saw Nightwish recently played Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam, I saw Justin Timberlake there over the summer on a work trip and that place is huge, like meant for those big acts.  I was thinking how crazy it would be to see Nightwish with that many fans.

Yeah, couldn't make that concert unfortunately, but Nightwish is most definitely a big band in some EU countries, like the UK, Germany, and offcourse Finland.

Last time I saw them in the Netherlands, they sold out AFAS live twice (which houses 6000 people, so 12000 tickets sold). Ziggodome houses 17000 people. Looking at the list of recent EU venues they played, most of them are in the 12000 plus range.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2559 on: December 10, 2018, 02:45:09 AM »
Absolutely stunning show at Wembley on Saturday night. This was Nightwish reclaiming their back catalogue and finally laying the ghost of Tarja to rest. Floor didn't just sing those songs perfectly, she blasted them out much better than old whotserface ever did!
If the South American shows they captured on film are even half as good, that's going to be one hell of a DVD!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2560 on: December 10, 2018, 03:42:44 AM »
I agree that Floor is awesome  :metal

I consider Imaginaerum my favorite Nightwish album, and I never had issues with Annette and I liked the two shows I've seen with her, but having just seen Floor and then looking back to YouTube videos with Annette, well..... it's day and night basically.

Also, one thing that I find cute, is that during I Want My Tears Back when there's the uillean pipes solo she just can't seem to shut up and continues to incite the audience to dance and jump along as she does herself on stage. Of course it's her "job" to pump up the audience but I like to think that she's so caught up with that irresistible song that she can't help herself to act just like a random fan  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2561 on: December 10, 2018, 08:02:47 AM »
^ she always does look to like legit being having fun at that part, I always love that when bands are smiling and looking like they are enjoying just as much as we are.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2562 on: December 17, 2018, 06:48:20 AM »
I generally hate reaction videos, but this one was fantastic.  A vocal coach watches Floor singing Ghost Love Score and comments on her technique.  She's able to almost instantly replicate what Floor does in some parts.  Watching her reaction to Floor nailing the ending of the song was pretty fun - we know it's coming, but she has no clue what hit her at that big monster high note.   :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r68y-IoMGtk

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2563 on: December 17, 2018, 07:08:01 AM »
I don't know if there's any other blatant case of a new singer coming in and totally OWNING a previous song. Sure, all the original / classic singers have their trademark song and when another sings them it's just ugh, but is there at this high level another case of a newcome singer making a classic song their own? this is a song that was always well received but it got new life again with Floor, they're even closing the entire show with it by now - it's her war horse just as if she was the original singer for it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2564 on: December 17, 2018, 07:53:50 AM »
I don't know if there's any other blatant case of a new singer coming in and totally OWNING a previous song. Sure, all the original / classic singers have their trademark song and when another sings them it's just ugh, but is there at this high level another case of a newcome singer making a classic song their own? this is a song that was always well received but it got new life again with Floor, they're even closing the entire show with it by now - it's her war horse just as if she was the original singer for it.

When Marc Hudson came into the fold with Dragonforce, he absolutely destroyed ZP Theart's live performances on older songs like Fury of the Storm. Totally different style of singing, no opera there, but yeah, I'd put Marc up there.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2565 on: December 17, 2018, 08:06:59 AM »
Just discovered these guys. Woah. I have been missing out.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2566 on: December 17, 2018, 10:48:54 AM »

I generally hate reaction videos, but this one was fantastic.  A vocal coach watches Floor singing Ghost Love Score and comments on her technique.  She's able to almost instantly replicate what Floor does in some parts.  Watching her reaction to Floor nailing the ending of the song was pretty fun - we know it's coming, but she has no clue what hit her at that big monster high note.   :metal

That was an entertaining video,  she sounds like she was quite impressed. She was comical towards the end, and a nice looking lady too!   :heart
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:59:04 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2567 on: December 17, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »
I wasn't able to see Ghost Love Score live with Tarja, but I'm more than satisfied seeing it with Floor. She nailed that song on the show I was at. She's the perfect fit for Nightwish, too. I hope the hiatus between the studio albums will benefit them, and perhaps Tuomas will write something more ambitious than EFMB, which, in my opinion, was almost a disservice to Floor's voice except a few chosen parts.

I'd love to see an album written especially with Floor's capabilities in mind, kind of like how Imaginaerum was written for Anette.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2568 on: December 17, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »
I wasn't able to see Ghost Love Score live with Tarja, but I'm more than satisfied seeing it with Floor. She nailed that song on the show I was at. She's the perfect fit for Nightwish, too. I hope the hiatus between the studio albums will benefit them, and perhaps Tuomas will write something more ambitious than EFMB, which, in my opinion, was almost a disservice to Floor's voice except a few chosen parts.

I'd love to see an album written especially with Floor's capabilities in mind, kind of like how Imaginaerum was written for Anette.

Well Tuomas has said the album is already mostly written so not sure the hiatus will influence the album other than give the band a much needed break.  I'm very much looking forward to what comes next, I loved EFMB but I do think they could improve upon it and one way would be to really unleash Floor.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2569 on: December 18, 2018, 02:35:27 AM »
See, to me Floor has been improving. She was pretty good on the Showtime, Storytime video, but nowhere near as impressive as she is now. I think Tuomas wrote EFMB with her performance standard at the time in mind. She's got better since.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2570 on: December 18, 2018, 03:22:53 AM »
From interviews I seem to remember that the approach was "We don't need to show off Floor for the sole purpouse of showing off" so to speak, so the songs came out the way they came out and they were all happy with it and Floor was ok with doing her part as requested. But I agree that the next album has to have her kicking all kind of musical asses.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2571 on: December 18, 2018, 11:43:38 AM »
From interviews I seem to remember that the approach was "We don't need to show off Floor for the sole purpouse of showing off" so to speak, so the songs came out the way they came out and they were all happy with it and Floor was ok with doing her part as requested. But I agree that the next album has to have her kicking all kind of musical asses.

And this is part of why EFMB was “meh” to me when I heard it, aside from the retracing of old sounds from previous albums which made it feel “been here, done that.” I’ve loved Floor’s voice since discovering her on After Forever’s Exordium album, and her control, power, and versatility quickly made her my favorite female vocalist. When After Forever called it quits, I even mentioned on the Portnoy forums that I thought Floor would be a great fit for Nightwish before she even got the job. I really wanted to hear her unleashed in that context, so to have her so restrained and held back was pretty disappointing. Hoping the next material put to tape indeed has her kicking copious amounts of ass. She has the talent, she has the presence, she has the love and approval of the fans... Turn her loose!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2572 on: December 18, 2018, 11:55:59 AM »

I dont ever really watch these types of videos but needed something to watch a bit during my lunch break today and enjoyed her reactions.  She loved the climax, so awesome.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2573 on: December 20, 2018, 11:51:19 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks that Lord Tuomas suffered some sort of writer's block during Endless Forms Most Beautiful?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2574 on: December 20, 2018, 12:18:09 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks that Lord Tuomas suffered some sort of writer's block during Endless Forms Most Beautiful?

I think he admitted to this, saying he had no motivation after the tour and they took a year off, but apparently he said he did find the motivation and inspiration, I think it was when he did his solo album and that once he found it he was able to write EFMB easily.  I'm going off my memory from what I read, but that's not exactly a writers block while writing the album, but maybe it did have some impact on the album by not being motivated for a period of time before it.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2575 on: December 20, 2018, 12:22:14 PM »

I think he admitted to this, saying he had no motivation after the tour and they took a year off, but apparently he said he did find the motivation and inspiration, I think it was when he did his solo album and that once he found it he was able to write EFMB easily.  I'm going off my memory from what I read, but that's not exactly a writers block while writing the album, but maybe it did have some impact on the album by not being motivated for a period of time before it.

But I think the results of such "block" or "lack of motivation" whathever it is can be heard in the album.
The rather large Marco songwriting input, even the long song is extremely repetitive and features less lyrics than Storytime, other songs being minimalistic and very very repetitive such as Endless Forms. Sure, there's the classic Nightwish and it's still an awesome record, but I do think there's definitely much less Tuomas here than what we had seen up to this point.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2576 on: December 20, 2018, 12:26:21 PM »
That might be true, I look at a song like The Eyes of Sharbat Gula and think that's 100% like a Tuomas solo song moreso than Nightwish

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2577 on: December 20, 2018, 08:21:21 PM »
I don't really hear a big Marco influence on EFMB at all.
I think he had a big influence on the Dark Passion Play album, he is all over that album.
From what I've seen, Toumas writes the genesis of the song, and then with Marco develops it further into the finished version.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #2578 on: December 26, 2018, 03:02:53 PM »
I have simply been addicted to watching the Ghost Love Score Wacken 2013 performance, and reaction videos.  Even though I'm not really a fan of reaction videos, I can't get enough of the jaw drop at the last note.

Here are a couple good ones (IMO):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdkr3LkuShc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nELdScu74D0

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2579 on: December 26, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »
The best video of Ghost Love Score live with Floor is definately Buenos Aires.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2580 on: December 26, 2018, 04:40:34 PM »
The best video of Ghost Love Score live with Floor is definately Buenos Aires.

Yup. Insane. The other ones are good, but they're all like 98/100 and the Buenos Aires one is 140,000/100
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #2581 on: December 26, 2018, 07:01:15 PM »
Yeah, I've watched those two versions and love them both.  The Buenos Aires has better fan interaction, a more intimate venue, and they are mostly there to see Nighwish unlike a festival.  I still prefer Wacken because I love the visuals behind the band, the pyrotechnics, the camera angles, Tuomas' game-of-throney keyboard facade and most importantly Floor's aggressiveness in the "Take me, cure me, kill me" section. That just puts it over the top for me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2582 on: December 26, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »
Yeah, I've watched those two versions and love them both.  The Buenos Aires has better fan interaction, a more intimate venue, and they are mostly there to see Nighwish unlike a festival.  I still prefer Wacken because I love the visuals behind the band, the pyrotechnics, the camera angles, Tuomas' game-of-throney keyboard facade and most importantly Floor's aggressiveness in the "Take me, cure me, kill me" section. That just puts it over the top for me.

For me, if the reaction video payoff is Floor hitting that last note, I would rather them watch the Beunos Aires video instead.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2583 on: December 27, 2018, 08:05:56 PM »
Are these "reaction videos" a new thing? I can't think of many things less interesting that watching someone watch something.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2584 on: December 28, 2018, 12:34:47 PM »
Are these "reaction videos" a new thing? I can't think of many things less interesting that watching someone watch something.

They've been a trend for a while now, and people actually discover new music through them.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2585 on: December 28, 2018, 12:59:38 PM »
Yeah.  Some are interesting and well done.  Others are not.  To me, when the person watching is genuinely reacting (rather than just sitting there), making comments, and trying to be at least somewhat insightful (whether I happen to agree or not), I often find them highly entertaining. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2586 on: December 28, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »
Yeah.  Some are interesting and well done.  Others are not.  To me, when the person watching is genuinely reacting (rather than just sitting there), making comments, and trying to be at least somewhat insightful (whether I happen to agree or not), I often find them highly entertaining.

The only reaction videos (I admit I don't watch many) that continue to get me and then let me down are the ones of vocal coaches reacting. I am really wanting to hear a great analysis of what's happening. Instead, I usually just get "Such a great beautiful voice!" or something similar.

The most honest one I've seen was someone reacting to Radio Gaga from Live Aid, when the vocal coach said she had to close her eyes while she listened, because Freddie had SOOOO  much charisma, that she felt she was being tricked into thinking his actual vocal performance was better than it was, and then did the rest of it with her eyes closed. Turns out she was right. His actual vocal performance was pretty mediocre, but his live presence was so god-like that we all just get swept up and don't notice how rough his voice it.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JLa

« Reply #2587 on: January 27, 2019, 03:34:08 AM »
So, after watching this 'reaction' video a few times I continued searching for this concert, and lucky lucky - the whole Wacken show is on YouTube. (it's an official release so I don't know if linking is allowed, but it's easy enough to find).

I've never been the biggest Nightwish fan - I think they're pretty good and have their moments of glory, but I've never been fully on board.

Floor might change that. Ho-ly cow what a performance! From the second she entered the stage on Wacken she just -owned- it. Her singing is absolutely phenomenal, and her stage presence is out of this world! Just watching her dancing, head banging, interacting with the crowd, the smile on her face from start to finish. Wow. I hope the guys know what gem they have here - this singer fits the band like hand in glove.

Needless to say the band was spot on too. From the opening crusher "Dark Chest of Wonders" and all the way to the closing track, these guys know exactly what they're doing and they were all on top form that night.

From an actually not so huge fan: 10/10. *applause*

I'm getting this Blu-Ray.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2588 on: January 27, 2019, 04:06:17 AM »
At least with me, you're preaching to the converted. Totally get what you're saying  :metal

Funny thing, the only time I saw Floor was in 2004. She was at Wacken with After Forever. I've always liked her voice but AF was not my cup of tea completely so I never saw her live, and when she finally joined Nightwish I missed her first tour 'cause they were always playing away from me. I watched too the videos and the official live releases but witnessing it all firsthand, at a show.... that's even better. She's mesmerizing and you can't take your eyes off her, and not because she's good looking too, but because of the whole show she puts on.

I've always liked Annette, her two albums with Nightwish (heck, Imaginareum is my favorite) and I enjoyed the two shows of her I've seen, but Floor is so good that she retroactively made me "dislike" that era of the band.... I mean, watch a good video with Floor and then go back to an Annette one, no disrespect to her but the difference is day and night.

Funny thing, when Annette was still in the band and Floor was considered just a temporary, pregnancy replacement for just some dates, Annette strongly opposed that, because she was a metal singer and she said that people would have loved her to the point that they'd have liked her to sing in her stead. Well, she was right on that, even a short run of Floor with Nightwish would have gotten people to wish she'd join the band, which happened anyway under different circumstances.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2589 on: January 27, 2019, 08:27:57 AM »
JLA, I would totally recommend getting the Vehicle of Spirit blu ray over Wacken. Two concerts and I think both are better than Wacken.