Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 315904 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2345 on: October 13, 2017, 08:50:50 AM »
I thought they would only play it if John Two-Hawks was there to perform it with them hence the low amount of times played.  Maybe I am wrong, I'd love to see it.

Thats my thought as well. Because he does the intro and the spoken word at the end.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2346 on: October 14, 2017, 09:06:59 AM »
I know this is the Nightwish thread but... has anyone else been obsessing over the few The Dark Element songs?  I think this album has become my most anticipated release for the remaining of the year.  I can't stop listening to these youtube videos.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2347 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »
I know this is the Nightwish thread but... has anyone else been obsessing over the few The Dark Element songs?  I think this album has become my most anticipated release for the remaining of the year.  I can't stop listening to these youtube videos.

I can't wait.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2348 on: October 14, 2017, 12:51:28 PM »
Nightwish has become one of my favorite bands recently. I'm hoping to see them in Portland Oregon in April, can't afford tix right now but hopefully soon..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2349 on: October 16, 2017, 11:07:49 AM »
The Dark Element's new song Dead to Me is on Spotify and Amazon. This song has an even more similar Storytime riff :lol. Good song though.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2350 on: October 16, 2017, 02:07:20 PM »
Yea, this stuff is SUPER Nightwishy, but I'm digging it.

I think I'll buy this album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: October 16, 2017, 02:13:47 PM »
The Dark Element's new song Dead to Me is on Spotify and Amazon. This song has an even more similar Storytime riff :lol. Good song though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eidS1nyQB50 Lyric video for it

Yea, this stuff is SUPER Nightwishy, but I'm digging it.

I think I'll buy this album.

Definitely a buy for me.  Love how this band sort of came out of no where (for me at least, I had no idea Annette was back into making music).

They definitely sound like Nightwish, I think that's OK, it sounds good, that's all I really care about, but I was thinking how they do sound like Nightwish but instead of the orchestration, it's electronic.   Pretty cool stuff released from them so far.  :metal

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2352 on: October 18, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »

I watched this for the first time the other night and my first thought was that it was written about Tuomas/Nightwish.  Some of the comments are saying that Annette didn't write a thing - it could be about any relationship, including the other musician's departures from Sonata Arctica (I don't follow them).  But it's rather coincidental to see those lyrics knowing about her dismissal from the band.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2353 on: October 23, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
Here's Marco singing live in a Finnish metal song medley (with the Northern Kings):

https://areena.yle.fi/1-4261784

Last part of the medley is Nightwish (I Wish I Had an Angel).

Also, relevant to my own interests, Tony Kakko is also singing. Don't know the other guy.  Anyways, nice little pro-shot clip.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2354 on: October 23, 2017, 05:18:50 PM »
Fun fact: the bearded white cave troll that's conducting is Leif Segerstam, he's pretty much a legend.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2355 on: October 23, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »
Here's Marco singing live in a Finnish metal song medley (with the Northern Kings):

https://areena.yle.fi/1-4261784

Last part of the medley is Nightwish (I Wish I Had an Angel).

Also, relevant to my own interests, Tony Kakko is also singing. Don't know the other guy.  Anyways, nice little pro-shot clip.

The band is "Northern Kings" - Marco, Tony and JP Leppaluoto (singer in Charon).  They did metal covers of 80's pop songs.

JP also sang on the first Poisonblack record, which is amazing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2356 on: November 05, 2017, 07:49:49 PM »
Not sure if this was posted before, but here's an interview with Anette Olzon on The David Hasselhoff Show of all things. She explains how she was fired by Nightwish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NqolQkWtuE

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2357 on: November 06, 2017, 12:06:17 AM »
Not sure if this was posted before, but here's an interview with Anette Olzon on The David Hasselhoff Show of all things. She explains how she was fired by Nightwish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NqolQkWtuE

So Jukka had big problems with her? Huh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2358 on: November 06, 2017, 07:11:44 AM »
And the Hoff is the one to have this interview?  :rollin

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2359 on: November 13, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
I am loving the Dark Element disc - there's one or two songs that I don't care for, but the rest is ridiculously awesome.  Even if it's Nightwish Lite.  Annette is kicking all sorts of ass here.

They should have just named it Litewish, though.   :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2360 on: November 13, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »
Litewish   :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2361 on: November 13, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »
 :lol I bought the album over the weekend but only listened to some of it, which I enjoyed.  Forgot to put it on my phone so I got to do that tonight as I do most of my listening in the car and at work.  Litewish sounds kind of right though.  Definitely a bit too much of a nightwish sound, but it's still pretty good from what I heard so far.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2362 on: November 14, 2017, 07:24:27 AM »
The guitars are super heavy, which was intentional per the making-of video.  But what is standing out to me is the drumming.  If I focus on listening to just the music, the drumming is huge with really fast fills and double bass which you don't really get in Nightwish.

I'm pretty impressed with the album so far.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2363 on: November 14, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
I also really enjoy this album. Just a really fun listen. Only a few duds for me but a pretty solid debut. Hopefully there is more to come.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2364 on: November 14, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
Is it comparable to the Cain's Offering albums at all? In other words, are there really fast power metally numbers in the vein of I Will Build You A Rome, or is it more of the stuff along the lines of Antemortem, and the singles we've heard? I won't get a chance to hear it until tonight at the earliest.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2365 on: November 14, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2366 on: November 15, 2017, 08:54:04 AM »
I've spent a week 'discovering' this band.  Really liking what I've heard so far - which is the last 4 albums (Once onwards).  Quick question the older albums are quite expensive to get, however I notice there is a hits albums called 'Highest Hopes' which is a collection of songs from their first 5 albums (the Tarja albums).  It's really cheap, should I get this or buy the individual albums (at quite a cost).

Track Listing of Highest Hopes...

"Wish I Had an Angel" – 4:04
"Stargazers" – 4:26
"The Kinslayer" – 4:02
"Ever Dream" – 4:44
"Elvenpath" – 4:38
"Bless the Child" – 6:12
"Nemo" – 4:35
"Sleeping Sun" (2005 version) – 4:24[8]
"Dead to the World" – 4:19
"Over the Hills and Far Away" (Gary Moore cover) – 5:00
"Deep Silent Complete" – 3:57
"Sacrament of Wilderness" – 4:11
"Walking in the Air" – 5:27
"Wishmaster" – 4:24
"Phantom of the Opera - 4:10
"Dead Boy's Poem" – 6:48

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2367 on: November 15, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »
I wouldn't get it.  The only "rarities" you get are Over the Hills and Far Away and a new version of Sleeping Sun.  I don't know the re-record of Sleeping Sun, but the song isn't good enough that I think it justifies a re-record anyway.  Their cover of Over the Hills and Far Away is pretty good.  But if you are going to spend money on that anyway, I would instead by the Over the Hills and Far Away EP, which has a couple of other rare cuts on it. 

All the other songs are album cuts.  I would just buy the albums.  I know it costs more to get the albums.  But the albums have a lot of other tracks that are highly worthwhile.  Just take your time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2368 on: November 15, 2017, 09:03:11 AM »
I wouldn't get it.  The only "rarities" you get are Over the Hills and Far Away and a new version of Sleeping Sun.  I don't know the re-record of Sleeping Sun, but the song isn't good enough that I think it justifies a re-record anyway.  Their cover of Over the Hills and Far Away is pretty good.  But if you are going to spend money on that anyway, I would instead by the Over the Hills and Far Away EP, which has a couple of other rare cuts on it. 

All the other songs are album cuts.  I would just buy the albums.  I know it costs more to get the albums.  But the albums have a lot of other tracks that are highly worthwhile.  Just take your time.

OK cheers for the quick reply.  Of the other albums is there any order you'd recommend getting them in, I've heard the first album isn't upto much, but the other three all seem highly regarded.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: November 15, 2017, 09:05:47 AM »
Since you've heard everything from Once to present, your next purchase should be Oceanborn. Trust me. Amazing Nightwish album. Then get Century Child.

After that you can worry about the others, those are the two you should be aiming for next :)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2370 on: November 15, 2017, 09:16:10 AM »
While i'm here.  Whats the general fan consensus on 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful'?  I like it, it was the first one I brought, but I'd probably rate it as the weakest of the 4 albums I've heard so far.  I know this will probably get me banned from the thread but I think Floor Jansen is my least favorite of the 3 vocalists, her voice is undoubtedly strong - but it's isn't as unique/interesting as the other two (based on this one album).  Heard she's great live though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: November 15, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »
While i'm here.  Whats the general fan consensus on 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful'?  I like it, it was the first one I brought, but I'd probably rate it as the weakest of the 4 albums I've heard so far.  I know this will probably get me banned from the thread but I think Floor Jansen is my least favorite of the 3 vocalists, her voice is undoubtedly strong - but it's isn't as unique/interesting as the other two (based on this one album).  Heard she's great live though.

:lol

I think I've gone over it before recently, but while I like some of Endless Forms, there are a lot of moments (and full songs) that sound like they plagiarized their own material from several albums ago (Once and Dark Passion Play especially). Floor is amazing live, and in studio, I just don't think they used her to her full potential on EFMB. I think she was used wonderfully on Weak Fantasy but there's not enough of that kind of singing on the album, it's too much of the Elan kind - soft, safe, predictable.

I think The Greatest Show On Earth is pretty cool in a lot of ways but overstays its welcome big time. But the first few minutes rule and the power of the orchestra hits early on, wow. This summer I was driving to work in the middle of the night through a heavy fog during the start of the song, that was something else.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2372 on: November 15, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
I think "concensus" is that it is a good album and that Floor does a decent job, but is "underutilized" given her talents.  Personally, I don't like the album, but that has nothing to do with Floor.  I think she does fine.  She does what the songs call for and sounds amazingly solid.  It doesn't matter to me that she isn't up at the top of her range more.  I just don't like the album. 

I also don't really care for Oceanborn much, other than a couple of tracks.  But I LOVE Century Child.  That, Once, and Imaginaerum are my favorites.  Oceanborn sounds to me like an album of a band that had seized on the fact that they wanted to be an operatic, symphonic, power metal type band, but hadn't yet figured out how to do it convincingly, if that makes sense. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: November 15, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »
EFMB is my personal favorite NW album, but if you are looking to go back to the first four albums, I wouldn't start with Oceanborn, I'd go back chronologically with Century Child, Wishmaster, Oceanborn, and if you enjoy those then go for Angels Fall First.  All of which are solid albums, but Angels Fall First is a bit raw and you can tell they haven't totallly figured out their way yet with songwriting, so that's the only album I wouldn't recommend at this point, but would be easier to digest going backwards one at a time so there's not a huge difference in sound all at once.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2374 on: November 15, 2017, 12:13:06 PM »
Speaking of the Over The Hills EP, an absolute classic Nightwish song which is forgotten by many, '10th Man Down' which I don't think they've ever played live and because it's on the EP seems to be overlooked by many fans.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2375 on: November 15, 2017, 12:27:11 PM »
I have the EP, but I have no recollection of how that song goes.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2376 on: November 15, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »
Hence my mentioning of it, give it a listen, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised  :biggrin:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2377 on: November 15, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
I like EFMB a lot. When it came out I was super underwhelmed by it, but it has since grown on me a lot. It flows pretty well IMO.

Also not sure if anyone saw this, but they’re releasing limited edition shirts for the Decades world tour
https://www.backstagerockshop.com/collections/nightwish

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2378 on: November 15, 2017, 12:39:19 PM »
Those are awesome shirts. 

I love EMFB, but would definitely prefer to have them let Floor loose on the next album.  We all know that she can do so much more. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2379 on: November 16, 2017, 03:56:25 AM »

I also don't really care for Oceanborn much, other than a couple of tracks.  But I LOVE Century Child.  That, Once, and Imaginaerum are my favorites. 

Imaginaerum is my favorite of the 4 I've heard so far.  Once and Dark Passion I'd put together slightly behind, with EMFB last (but still enjoyable).