Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317869 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1925 on: May 07, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »
The one time I saw NW live with Annette, I thought she was fine.  Not Floor, but good as her own and was able to sing all the Annette songs fine. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1926 on: May 08, 2015, 05:49:06 AM »
I think EFMS should have been the single.  Pretty straight forward awesome NW song where Floor sounds good and has a cool instrumental part.

Well https://youtu.be/VUb1p8fm7Ag

VIDEO PREMIERE!!
Nightwish release their 2nd single, the new album's title-track "Endless Forms Most Beautiful."
It is available as a limited edition MCD, 10“ Vinyl and as a digital download.
"Endless Forms Most Beautiful" tracklist:
1. Endless Forms Most Beautiful (album version)
2. Sagan (instrumental) - previously unreleased
3. Endless Forms Most Beautiful (alternative version)
4. Endless Forms Most Beautiful (radio edit) - previously unreleased

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1927 on: May 09, 2015, 02:51:27 AM »
I just bought and watched Imaginaerum. Its a good movie. I enjoyed it. What do you guys think of it?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: May 09, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
I thought it was entertaining.  Acting and dialogue was a little stiff and amateurish at times, but I enjoyed it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1929 on: May 11, 2015, 06:04:12 AM »
Australian tour has been announced for January 2016  :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1930 on: May 11, 2015, 06:25:32 AM »
I think the album is growing on me. I think everything from My Walden to the end is pretty great with some really brilliant parts. I am trying to get into the first half though.

Nowhere near as spectacular as Imaginaerum but still quite good!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1931 on: May 11, 2015, 07:31:46 AM »
Just got tickets to go see them at Wembley in December. It asked me if I wanted Seating tickets or Floor tickets. I had to laff...(I chose Floor).  :yarr :metal :hat
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1932 on: May 11, 2015, 08:01:13 AM »
I'd like Floor-tickets.... :hat

But I'm affraid she'd kick my ass from here to Timbuktu....  :'(

:blush
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1933 on: May 13, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »
Okay so.

I've listened to the new album, and it's pretty good as a whole, I'd say. I really like Shudder Before the Beautiful, Yours Is an Emtpy Hope, Edema Ruh and Alpenglow and would say that they are among Nightwish's best songs, especially the last two.

However, this album has two duds in My Walden (seriously, ripping off the rip-off? Geez guys, bagpipes are allowed to play more than melody ffs) and The Greatest Show on Earth which has an intro that takes forever to get going, some pretty good music in the middle and then an outro that bores me to tears. So much wasted potential. :(

Not quite sure where I'd rank this, but it's probably middle of the pack. Alpenglow and Edema Ruh carry this so much that it's ridiculous.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1934 on: May 13, 2015, 05:14:41 PM »
Okay so.

I've listened to the new album, and it's pretty good as a whole, I'd say. I really like Shudder Before the Beautiful, Yours Is an Emtpy Hope, Edema Ruh and Alpenglow and would say that they are among Nightwish's best songs, especially the last two.

However, this album has two duds in My Walden (seriously, ripping off the rip-off? Geez guys, bagpipes are allowed to play more than melody ffs) and The Greatest Show on Earth which has an intro that takes forever to get going, some pretty good music in the middle and then an outro that bores me to tears. So much wasted potential. :(

Not quite sure where I'd rank this, but it's probably middle of the pack. Alpenglow and Edema Ruh carry this so much that it's ridiculous.

What is I Want My Tears Back a rip off of?

You're OK with SBTB ripping off Storytime and DCoW?

TGSOE is great from start to finish, but if I had to complain, the animal noises really aren't necessary.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1935 on: May 13, 2015, 05:22:02 PM »
I Want My Tears Back is basically Last of the Wilds with vocals, only worse.

And yes, for some reason, the SBTB/DCOW similarities bother me far less. Not quite sure why.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1936 on: May 13, 2015, 06:28:30 PM »
I find that Shudder Before the Beautiful reminds me more of Beauty of the Beast than Storytime or Dark Chest of Wonders. I see the similarities with the last two, though I find the BotB one much more obvious (The part I am talking about starts at ~3:35). Even then, it is far from a direct copy.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline 425

« Reply #1937 on: May 13, 2015, 09:22:26 PM »
I Want My Tears Back is basically Last of the Wilds with vocals, only worse.

Only in the sense that they are both metal songs with bagpipes. Which combines two of the major aspects of Nightwish's sound at this point.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: May 13, 2015, 10:34:10 PM »
I don't like Alpenglow that much, and I think Yours is an Empty Hope is borderline awful. It's the only song on the album I want to skip.

Elan, Weak Fantasy, Shudder and Edema Ruh are highlights of the album for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1939 on: May 14, 2015, 01:46:33 AM »
I've been holding back from posting about what I think of this album because it's quite hard to marshall my thoughts on it. I think it's an amazing piece of work, and I can see why some people are struggling with it, because the melodies aren't where the melodies usually are with Nightwish. This is something new, not just a new singer, but a new approach to songwriting. And when it works, my God, does it work.

"Yours Is An Empty Hope" and "The Eyes of Sharbat Gula" are the two strongest songs here - The orchestration on YIAEH is simply stunning. Every other track is a strong classic (loving "Weak Fantasy" the more I hear it, and "Edema Ruh" is great fun), although I haven't quite gelled with "My Walden" yet. Even "Our Decades In The Sun" is pretty impressive in itself, although I'm not quite sure it fits with the mood of the rest of the album. And yes, "The Greatest Show On Earth" could lose the animal noises and about 4 minutes, but it's still a great listen.

In short, I'm loving this album. It's thought-provoking, challenging, sing-alongable, difficult, different and... Nightwish. There's no other word for it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1940 on: May 14, 2015, 08:20:20 AM »
I'm just really thankful I got Century Child, Once, End of an Era, and Imaginaerum from this band.  I will just leave it at that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1941 on: May 14, 2015, 10:34:35 AM »
What don't you like about it, bosk?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1942 on: May 14, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »
I'd hazard a guess and say the lyrical themes that it explores.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: May 14, 2015, 01:36:58 PM »
So NW added another new DPP song to the setlist last night... https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/the-fillmore-charlotte-nc-3bc874a0.html

7 Days to the Wolves

And I really think EFMB is one of the best albums I may have ever heard.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: May 14, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »
Great pick, one of my favourites from DPP.

I'm also actively listening to DPP this whole week in preparation for its upcoming survivor, and it's a lot better than I remembered it being. While there are few duds, more than on Imaginaerum or EFMB, there's still a great chunk of good material. I'm really enjoying it.

Offline 425

« Reply #1945 on: May 14, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »
That is a good pick. And I would have been there, too, if that show had been just a few days earlier.

I really like DPP. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's not in the top tier for me, which is CC and Irum, but it's in the second tier with Once and probably EFMB.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1946 on: May 14, 2015, 02:48:34 PM »
I'd hazard a guess and say the lyrical themes that it explores.

I'm hoping for something other than that. If I can enjoy Theocracy's Mirror of Souls, he can enjoy this album.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1947 on: May 14, 2015, 03:06:20 PM »
As someone whose social circle is largely either atheist or very mildly religious (as in I don't think I know anyone who seriously thinks evolution is wrong), I'm curious now. What in the lyrics on this album would be offensive to someone deeply religious? I was very doubtful myself if this concept would work out on an album and so I paid more attention to the lyrics and quotas than usual, and I hardly found anything where I thought: "This might upset someone's believes." Even the narration mostly fits in well with a very religious view of the world (or at least what I think it to be  :P).
Sorry if this is more of a topic for the Political and Religious subforum, but I'm generally curious.

Offline 425

« Reply #1948 on: May 14, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »
Weak Fantasy is not very kind to religion.

"Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void"
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: May 14, 2015, 09:18:15 PM »
Yeah....  I'm in a weird place with weak fantasy.  I think melodically it's #2 on the album.  Yet, the religious bashing overtures are a bit disheartening. I'm not "Religious" But I do have a belief in a higher power.  As I've mentioned on DTF a few times, I'm not a huge fan of political or religious themed based music.  It's such an awesome song.....but.....the subject matter taints it a tad for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: May 15, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »
So Nightwish just announced a NJ date for next February.  I guess I have plans for that day (a Friday close to my house!!)  Im guessing they are doing a 2nd US leg to the tour then  :metal

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1951 on: May 15, 2015, 01:35:10 PM »
Yeah....  I'm in a weird place with weak fantasy.  I think melodically it's #2 on the album.  Yet, the religious bashing overtures are a bit disheartening. I'm not "Religious" But I do have a belief in a higher power.  As I've mentioned on DTF a few times, I'm not a huge fan of political or religious themed based music.  It's such an awesome song.....but.....the subject matter taints it a tad for me.

Religion has earned its ridicule.

As for the Nightwish album itself, as a whole, it still hasn't won me over completely. It's actually disappointing. Perhaps I need more time with it.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: May 15, 2015, 01:36:12 PM »
So Nightwish just announced a NJ date for next February.  I guess I have plans for that day (a Friday close to my house!!)  Im guessing they are doing a 2nd US leg to the tour then  :metal

They're indeed doing it, with Delain and Sonata Arctica (I think. They're not on the poster, but I've heard they will be on this tour.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1953 on: May 15, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »
Oh cool with Delain again!  Wow Im so pumped for next year lol  And it'll be the first show of that leg just like NYC was the first this year, adds to the fun!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: May 15, 2015, 02:05:38 PM »
Yep. Already planning to see them in San Antonio.

We missed the first part of the Delain set in Dallas because we thought Sabaton would go up first.. but Delain was first that night.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1955 on: May 15, 2015, 04:22:59 PM »
Damn, Tucson? Bloody hell!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: May 15, 2015, 09:46:46 PM »

Religion has earned its ridicule.

Ummm...OK. I was referring to a singular song with regards to Religious connotations, not opening the religious debate in general.  There's a separate sub-forum for that.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1957 on: May 16, 2015, 05:48:21 AM »
Who says it´s about religion? Tuomas hasn´t said anything about it, as far as I know.

On another note, I think Floor has said in an interview that according to Union regulations, they are only allowed to film at one venue in the States during this tour. That would be a major bummer as it would mean amongst others no PATP from this part of the tour on the DVD. And that would definitely suck monkey balls.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: May 16, 2015, 06:23:32 AM »
Well, I guess they could film some Europe dates as well and then merge them on DVD?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1959 on: May 16, 2015, 06:27:20 AM »
That´s probably what they´ll do. Can´t imagine they´ll wait untill the european leg  of the tour.