Author Topic: The Anthrax thread  (Read 22708 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Anthrax thread
« Reply #280 on: December 12, 2022, 05:25:19 AM »
Sounds Of White Noise did nothing for me.

SOWN has aged really well, but I gotta admit, I had no idea what to think about it when it came out.

I was a bit fed up they got Joey back rather than John,

I feel like they were getting offers for "classic" Anthrax. I believe that was more sellable, jumping on the retro bandwagon. The Big 4 tour had probably been in the works for a while, and I'm sure the promoter/management wanted to sell the classic lineup.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #281 on: December 12, 2022, 06:01:50 AM »
HUGE fan of all 4- Bush-thrax albums here!

In fact, I prefer John's era to Joey's era (I'm way in the minority here), and also share the love for Stomp 442 (although, it's probably second behind SOWN for me).

That all said, I think the last two Joey albums are among the band's best work and feel like a continuation of Persistence of Time (which I considered the best Joey album by a long mile).

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #282 on: December 12, 2022, 07:46:49 AM »
Sounds Of White Noise did nothing for me.

SOWN has aged really well, but I gotta admit, I had no idea what to think about it when it came out.

I was a bit fed up they got Joey back rather than John,

I feel like they were getting offers for "classic" Anthrax. I believe that was more sellable, jumping on the retro bandwagon. The Big 4 tour had probably been in the works for a while, and I'm sure the promoter/management wanted to sell the classic lineup.

This makes complete sense to me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #283 on: December 12, 2022, 08:53:33 AM »

They definitely were - they reunited with Joey and Dan Spitz in 2005, five years before the Big 4 shows were played.  That's when John split and they did the Anthrology compliation and Alive 2 shows.  Joey then split and you had the Dan Nelson experiment prior to the Big 4.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #284 on: December 12, 2022, 08:58:04 AM »
HUGE fan of all 4- Bush-thrax albums here!

In fact, I prefer John's era to Joey's era (I'm way in the minority here), and also share the love for Stomp 442 (although, it's probably second behind SOWN for me).

That all said, I think the last two Joey albums are among the band's best work and feel like a continuation of Persistence of Time (which I considered the best Joey album by a long mile).

I agree with everything said here regarding preferring John's era, and the love for Joey's last two Anthrax records.

When I met John a few days ago, he said he really appreciates the love for his era in Anthrax and loves the songs they did.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #285 on: December 12, 2022, 09:16:42 AM »
They definitely were - they reunited with Joey and Dan Spitz in 2005, five years before the Big 4 shows were played.  That's when John split and they did the Anthrology compliation and Alive 2 shows.  Joey then split and you had the Dan Nelson experiment prior to the Big 4.
I was at the NJ 2005 show with Joey and Spitz.  It was freaking awesome!  I've always loved the Bush era albums and was bummed to see him gone.  But, I'm not gonna lie.  I was thrilled to get to see the classic lineup live for the first time.  My first time seeing them live was for SoWN.  When they did the livestream for their 40th anniversary at the end of '21, I was really hoping they'd bring John in to sing a song or two from his albums.  They brought in Chuck D for Bring The Noise.  Kinda seemed like a lost opportunity.

Speaking of Dan Nelson.  A little old.  But, I hadn't heard  this before...
https://blabbermouth.net/news/former-anthrax-singer-dan-nelson-pleads-guilty-to-attacking-two-older-men

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #286 on: December 12, 2022, 09:34:22 AM »
I went to a June 2006 show celebrating (I think) Among the Living. Both Joey and Dan Spitz. It was at this shit hole in the wall called The Pound. It was a legendary shit hole for thrash bands in the Bay Area. I think it closed a few months after that gig.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline nick_z

« Reply #287 on: March 23, 2024, 03:47:51 PM »
Found an Anthrax thread, and figured it'd be a good place to post this:

Charlie Benante on Drumeo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jePN_AB0syw

He talks about drumming both in Anthrax and Pantera, of course. Super-fun watch. Really enjoy him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2024, 07:39:15 PM »
Nick, thanks for posting it. I've seen it in my feed but I haven't had a chance to watch it.
You convinced me to do it!

Yes, Charlie is great. He's got an amazing memory, and I'm not sure he has ever really gotten the credit that he is due. He's a phenomenal drummer.

His drum duel with MP was amazing and so much fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILGDaVJOi2U
Love the look on MP's face when Charlie busts out 6:00.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2024, 09:00:10 PM »
Charlie is the shit.  His name doesn't ever really pop up when people talk about great drummers, but he is awesome.   :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #290 on: March 24, 2024, 04:05:34 AM »

His drum duel with MP was amazing and so much fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILGDaVJOi2U
Love the look on MP's face when Charlie busts out 6:00.

Yeah, I remember this one. Always fun to watch.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #291 on: March 24, 2024, 05:13:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing the Charlie Drumeo. Only halfway through and so much good stuff. I didn't love WCFYA but there is a song I always play off it and that's Nobody Knows Anything. The drums on that are insane.

Charlie (and Thrax) are fantastic. They've aged the best of all the classic thrash bands for me.

Charlie is one of those guys you know is him as soon as you hear it. He's got such a vibe - and is SO tight!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #292 on: March 24, 2024, 06:52:27 PM »
Yeah, I never connected with WCFYA.

In the recent Top 25 Bassists Countdown, I had Frank Bello at #4.

So funny that Charlie is actually Frank's uncle.

Offline coz

« Reply #293 on: March 25, 2024, 12:03:25 AM »
Charlie is the shit.  His name doesn't ever really pop up when people talk about great drummers, but he is awesome.   :metal

Hells yeah.  I still can't personally get behind them calling the current iteration of what they're doing, Pantera.  Whatever.  Charlie was my #16 on the DTF Top 25 drummer countdown for his work with Anthrax and SOD.  :metal
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline nick_z

« Reply #294 on: March 25, 2024, 04:06:00 AM »

So funny that Charlie is actually Frank's uncle.

I did not know that! That is pretty funny.

...and I do enjoy WCFYA a fair bit. It's my second favorite (after SOWN) of the Bush-era (not that there's a ton of records in there  ;))

Offline billboy73

« Reply #295 on: March 25, 2024, 08:15:27 AM »
I think Charlie is underrated in the metal drumming world for sure, even though he does still get a lot of respect.  For me, he's the best of the Big 4 drummers.  I know a lot of people will drop Lombardo or Menza, but I think Charlie takes the cake.  Spreading the Disease was the first Anthrax album I bought, and when Gung Ho came on I was like "holy shit!".  Also, he writes a lot of Anthrax riffs and is a pretty solid guitar player.  He is still going strong at 61 too. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #296 on: March 25, 2024, 01:55:05 PM »
Couple of things stuck out to me in that. He's been playing drums since he was 4 and (according to him) put down the first blast beat on record (S.O.D. - Milk)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #297 on: March 26, 2024, 04:05:21 PM »
Couple of things stuck out to me in that. He's been playing drums since he was 4 and (according to him) put down the first blast beat on record (S.O.D. - Milk)

Yep, I kind of remember having read about the first blast beat on record before...

Offline billboy73

« Reply #298 on: March 28, 2024, 08:21:29 AM »
Dan Lilker is going to fill in for Frank for some South American and US shows coming up in April and May.  That would be cool to see him playing in Anthrax again.

Also, listened to Vol 8 yesterday.  I hadn't listened to that album in quite some time.  I have never been a big fan of that album, and it's still my least favorite Bushthrax album, but it's still a decent record with a few really solid tunes on it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #299 on: March 28, 2024, 08:23:10 AM »

Also, listened to Vol 8 yesterday.  I hadn't listened to that album in quite some time.  I have never been a big fan of that album, and it's still my least favorite Bushthrax album, but it's still a decent record with a few really solid tunes on it.

I listened to it fairly recently. I'll still take it over WCFYA, but it's really uneven. Still, Catharsis might be my fave Bush Era Anthrax tune.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #300 on: March 28, 2024, 08:25:12 AM »
Crush has always been my favorite from Volume 8.  But I do think that 604 is a nice, fun little tune.   :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #301 on: March 28, 2024, 08:40:20 AM »
Crush and Carthasis are the clear standout tracks, then some solid songs and then some not so good ones. Overall Volume 8 is a very uneven affair.

And I think that WCFYA on the whole is a lot better.  :biggrin: :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #302 on: March 28, 2024, 09:00:56 AM »
I would love to be able to see Dan play with the band, but it's mainly South America. I've seen the classic lineup, I've seen Joey Vera on bass during the Bush years, seen Paul Crook, Caggiano, etc. Never saw Lilker. That would be a real treat to see.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Grappler

« Reply #303 on: March 28, 2024, 09:57:08 AM »
And I think that WCFYA on the whole is a lot better.  :biggrin: :metal

:metal :metal :metal :metal  There's no comparison - WCFYA is amazing.   :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #304 on: March 28, 2024, 10:15:02 AM »
I think WCFYA  is the worst album in their catalog.  ;D

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #305 on: March 28, 2024, 10:44:00 AM »
I think WCFYA  is the worst album in their catalog.  ;D

I think you meant to say State Of Euphoria.

While not terrible, it's their worst. They even say so.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history