Author Topic: Teargarden By Kaleidyscope (Can also double as a Smashing Pumpkins Thread)  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Well, for those who don't know, Smashing Pumpkins (Really, Billy Corgan) is releasing a new album, with 44 songs. One song at a time. From the looks of it, these things will be released pretty sporadically, but the good news is they're all totally free. Seriously, go to the website and download the song they just released.

I figure this thread is a good place to discuss the new songs, see if they live up to the old stuff, and also for general SP appreciation.

Thoughts (As they hit my brain): It starts out really well with the moody piano, but I don't like how high Corgan's vocals are in the mix. It sounds like he was going for this nice soft piece, but then he starts singing really loud. Though, it sounds better when the drums and the electric guitar come in. The heavy break with the guitar solo is pretty awesome. Hell, the guitar solo in itself is pretty damn good. The return of the chorus is good. So far, I haven't found much to complain about. Of course, I have no idea how it will age, or how it fits in with the rest of the stuff, but my initial impression is good. It's definitely better than the Zeitgeist stuff.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:01:37 PM by Ultimetalhead »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline tbw2445

• I live a life based on good intentions...
Re: Teargarden By Kaleidyscope (Can also double as a Smashing Pumpkins Thread)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:01:06 PM »
A Song for a Son is amazing imo. I love the piano work and that guitar solo is so amazing. It's definitely audible that the drums really suffer since Jimmy Chamberlain is gone, but their new drummer is damn good. I'm really looking foward to the rest of these songs.
i'm learning all about my life by looking through her eyes

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:41:13 PM »
Downloading "A Song For A Son" right now.

I just this year took the time to listen to Smashing Pumpkins, I never listened to anything more than the radio stuff and I really regret not checking them out early. Some of their slower songs are just the amazing SOMA and To Forgive come to mind.

Is A Song For A Son the first song released, I couldn't find anymore online so I'm assuming this is the first.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:42:30 PM »
Yep. A Song For a Son is the first song to be released. It's aging pretty well for me. Hasn't really gotten old yet.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »
Is it wrong that I read this as teabagging?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »
Is it wrong that I read this as teabagging?
Extremely.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 06:53:11 PM »
DAMMIT INTERNET!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 01:49:38 PM »
Awesome, time to get me some BC songs.

In other, very old news, Smashing Pumpkins RULE

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
If Billy keeps taking this long in between songs, this may be the longest lasting thread in the history of DTF.

New song on Monday.  :metal

Offline faemir

Finally.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 10:09:47 PM »
Here's the song: Widow Wake My Mind, https://smashingpumpkins.com.s3.amazonaws.com/player/mp3/Widow-Wake-My-Mind.mp3

Review: It's interesting. Very different feel from Song For a Son. Little bit bouncier, less epic. The bridge was a very nice touch, kind of going back to the pretty piano deal. Overall, I like it, but SFAS is much better. Though, of course, it's only my first listen, and I've abused SFAS since its release, so there's time for it to grow. We'll see how it works out.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
New song released a month ago. I forgot about this thread. It's called A Stitch in Time, and it's better than Widow, but not quite up to the epic caliber of Song For a Son. Still, it's free, so check it out.

Offline faemir

I agree, but this is still an awesome track record considering that the only redeeming factor about ZG was Jimmy's drumming.

I can safely say that BC is not just using the SP name for money now, but he's actually writing damn good stuff.

Also, i'm surprised that few people here like the SP.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
New song. Astral Planes.

Review: This one is awesome. This is the only one that's come close to touching Song For a Son so far. I love it. It's got that classic SP buzz running through the guitars, the main melody is catchy, and it just sounds cool.

Offline faemir

Downloading now.

I just looked up the physical copy. Wow, that is really nice! I wish I could afford it :(

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 06:25:35 PM »
Man, it's been almost a year since I started this thread, and we have 7 songs so far.  :lol

I'm listening to the songs that have been released so far, in the order they are appearing on the EPs. It's a little awkward, since "The Fellowship" (technically track 5) hasn't been released digitally yet, while 6-8 have. Oh well. These songs have aged fairly well. None of them that I'd consider bad.

This album won't be finished until 2015, I reckon.

Offline faemir

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 07:06:20 AM »
Well it's a project to keep him occupied I guess - continuously releasing songs one at a time rather than 12 then a 2 year gap then 12 etc.