Author Topic: The Language Thread  (Read 7489 times)

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
The Language Thread
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:44:22 PM »
ITT we discuss different languages (duh  :facepalm:)
What do you think about a language? Have you had it at school? Did you retain any knowledge? Is it worthwhile? etc.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: The Language Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 01:47:50 PM »
As I said in the chat thread, I love languages!

If I had a way to be instructed to speak more of them, I would gladly take classes or pay for lessons in French, German, and/or Swedish. Sadly, that is not the case where I live.

I speak fluent English (duh), with Spanish as a secondary language that I can stumble through a conversation with, as the instructors who taught me all my life never taught me too much.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:52:41 PM »
Once I was fluent in German, but there aren't a lot of opportunities to practice (PA Dutch doesn't count :P)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »
I'm very adept at picking up languages, but interestingly I only speak two properly (German and English). I just can't be bothered to learn a language that I can't use. It's like learning to snowboard in the Gobi desert.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:54:31 PM »
I'm very adept at picking up languages, but interestingly I only speak two properly (German and English). I just can't be bothered to learn a language that I can't use. It's like learning to snowboard in the Gobi desert.

rumborak
Strangely, the Internet is destroying those barriers.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:58:39 PM »
I'm bilangual (Dutch + English). It REALLY helps with other languages  :biggrin:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »

rumborak

You don't just speak English well, you write it at least better than most native speaker. Plus, being able to have a sense of humor in a second language is no small feat.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 02:06:06 PM »
Seconded.  I'd actually like to hear Rumbo's speech.  I would imagine that you'd have a hard time detecting an accent.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 02:08:36 PM »
Μαθαίνω Ελληνικά

But English is my first language

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »
On behalf of physicists everywhere, thank you very much for your alphabet :lol it's definitely come in handy.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 02:10:49 PM »
Μαθαίνω Ελληνικά

But English is my first language
I STUDY GREEK AT SCHOOL!!!! Though the Greek I study is from a few millennia ago  :facepalm:

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »
On behalf of physicists everywhere, thank you very much for your alphabet :lol it's definitely come in handy.

It's not my language :P

I am in no way Greek lol. I just wanted to learn the language. What I wrote is translated as "I'm learning Greek"

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 02:13:58 PM »
When you learn a language, you make it your own. :D

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 07:41:48 AM »
I love language.  Lately, I've had a desire to learn German, mainly because i was in Germany and Switzerland about 2 months ago, and picked up on a lot of things.  By the end of the trip, I was almost able to understand the announcements on the trains (though the english translations helped).  I also met an American living in Munich, and I was asking her a lot about her efforts in learning the language.  I feel that I would pick up the language quickly if I were surrounded by it.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 07:45:28 AM »

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
I'm doing a Japanese GCSE in my spare time at college, it's awesome. and that's sixth form college, not university.

I only recently realised I was confusing the hell out of people saying I was at college, but was 17.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »
I know how to speak Lithuanian (I was born there and I converse with my parents in Lithuanian all the time) I'm trying really hard not to forget it so I use it whenever possible.

I can speak English, and I've taken a few classes on French so I can get by on a simple conversation. When I move to Miami, I signed up take Spanish classes.

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 09:15:59 AM »
I know Swedish and English fluently. My French isn't very bad, and I once knew Czech since my mother is from there and I was learned two languages from birth. Sadly, I've forgotten most of it since I started school and started using Swedish as my everyday language.

Languages I'd like to learn would be Latin, Hungarian, Japanese, Finnish, and more...

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 09:20:10 AM »
In high school, I got my best grades all in the language subjects (English, French, Spanish, (Latin)), so I guess I pick up languages fairly easily. Also, learning new languages is fun and can always come in handy if the situation is adequate.

My English has only improved over the last few years (thanks, DTF :D), my French is a little bit rusty, but I still can speak it on an acceptable level, but I'm not sure if I can speak a correct phrase in Spanish anymore. :lol

I'm currently learning Japanese, but I really want to take up a Scandinavian language soon. These languages are very interesting imo.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 09:27:11 AM »
I can speak English and Dutch fluent, can make myself clear in and understand German (most of the time) and know some French.

Hurray for Dutch education that teaches you a minimum of 4 languages.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 09:27:56 AM »

Damn, that must be heaven on earth.

Mentlegen.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 09:28:52 AM »
This. In 3rd class, they were teaching me 6 languages  :eek

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 09:31:44 AM »

Damn, that must be heaven on earth.
Not really :p. While I do enjoy being able to talk in multiple languages, I'm not very good at learning them.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 09:57:39 AM »
Well, just three in my case:
- native Polish
- pretty fluent English, no problems communicating but I guess I make some mistakes I don't notice
- French... let's be optimistic and call it "intermediate", I can write and read quite a lot, but the amount of mistakes I make is just awful... with speaking it's even worse

I'm definitely planning to learn German in the future (I've always liked it for some reason, but never had a chance to learn it), and I'm considering Dutch and Norwegian. Not sure why, I'm just interested. :biggrin:

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »
Well, just three in my case:
- native Polish
- pretty fluent English, no problems communicating but I guess I make some mistakes I don't notice
- French... let's be optimistic and call it "intermediate", I can write and read quite a lot, but the amount of mistakes I make is just awful... with speaking it's even worse

I'm definitely planning to learn German in the future (I've always liked it for some reason, but never had a chance to learn it), and I'm considering Dutch and Norwegian. Not sure why, I'm just interested. :biggrin:
Don't get started on Dutch! It's a horrible, irregular language for people that don't know it.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »
Nie mówię po polsku.

I know a few (random) Polish words, lived there for 4 years :p. Was pretty young though.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »
Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

Ich lernte es seit sechs Jahren. Ich bin so-so.

Er yeah. I've not actually had any lessons for the best part of two years now and I was far from perfect anyway, so I'm pretty rusty. There's probably a stupid number of grammatical errors up there.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 10:04:29 AM »
Don't get started on Dutch! It's a horrible, irregular language for people that don't know it.
I'll see, it's probably not going to happen in the very near future. Though I doubt any language can have a grammar that's more difficult to me than French.

Nie mówię po polsku.

I know a few (random) Polish words, lived there for 4 years :p. Was pretty young though.
From what I've noticed, Polish isn't that hard to learn, as in being able to communicate with it... but learning it to the point of not making mistakes is a different thing entirely. Learning the basic grammar wouldn't be worse than any other language, but learning further is the difficult part.

And I bet the spelling must be awesome for someone not knowing it. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 10:25:17 AM »
I took a lot of Latin in college.  I also have a little Spanish, but I'm not really conversational with it.

I would love to pick up Hebrew and Greek.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 12:47:21 PM »
Right now I'm learning Arabic, just about to finish my first semester of it. It's a tough language, but I still enjoy learning it. The tough thing is learning a totally new script and then having to learn off that. It makes me want to learn French, Spanish, German, etc. a lot more because it's already in Latin script so would seem much easier for me to learn now.

A main goal is to learn fluent Armenian, but unfortunately there aren't college classes or "Rosetta Stone" for it  :lol

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 12:49:10 PM »
Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

Ich lernte es seit sechs Jahren. Ich bin so-so.

Er yeah. I've not actually had any lessons for the best part of two years now and I was far from perfect anyway, so I'm pretty rusty. There's probably a stupid number of grammatical errors up there.

No, there's only one small mistake - If you are still learning it, you use "seit" with the present tense: "Ich lerne es seit sechs Jahren". If you had learned it for a while, but stopped doing it, you drop the "seit" and rather say "Ich lernte es sechs Jahre lang". Other than that, it's fine.

But in the end, it all comes down to what the speaker meant to say, and if you get that, it's basically all good.

Mentlegen.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »
In school, I learned:
- Latin: first foreign language, did it for 10 years (starting in 5th grade), never used it since. But it helped a lot in learning:
- English: starting in 7th grade, did it for 8 years. Posting on music forums really helped me not to forget it.
- French: starting in 9th grade, did it for 6 years. Never used it since, but still remember quite a few things, both vocabulary and grammar.

In my country, I learned:
- German: starting at the ago of 0, did it for 41 years. Helped me to become a German teacher.

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2009, 01:51:47 PM »
I took 2 years of Spanish in high school and 1 year of Japanese.  I remember very little from both.  I kind of wish I kept up with Japanese, but it's the kind of thing that you have to practice every day or you won't get anywhere fast.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »
I took 2 years of Spanish in high school and 1 year of Japanese.  I remember very little from both.  I kind of wish I kept up with Japanese, but it's the kind of thing that you have to practice every day or you won't get anywhere fast.

Aww, now we can't have newbie japanese conversations where we get confused by each other's broken Japanese :laugh:

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »

Aww, now we can't have newbie japanese conversations where we get confused by each other's broken Japanese :laugh:

I wish I could have kept my textbook, because I would have reviewed it from time to time, and I would remember at least the basics.  But I had to give it back to the school (I took the class as a postsecondary program: it was a college class that I took in high school, and the state paid for it, including the book, which is why I couldn't keep it).
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.