Author Topic: Alice In Chains  (Read 51882 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Alice In Chains
« Reply #420 on: August 25, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »
I haven't heard any of it yet, but just heard this one for the first time in a few years and was reminded of how good some of their stuff really was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODTv9Lt5WYs

I actually really love Jar of Flies and consider that EP their best stuff.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #421 on: August 25, 2018, 11:57:39 AM »
I was afraid I'd have to be a bit harsh on the album, since the first several listens reminded me of Dinosaur and how bland and samey it was. But the pieces are starting to come together and I'm really enjoying at the moment.

I'm kinda torn. On one hand, I feel like it's mostly more of the same compared with the last two albums. The mid-tempo thing gets a little frustrating. Not sure if that's the right word.

On the other, there are little nuances and still a lot here that I like that I keep coming back to. It's a grower. I can't think of any songs that I flat out don't like, necessarily. Not crazy about "Maybe" but even that one's still kinda sorta ok. :P

Favorites are the title track, Never Fade, Red Giant, and So Far Under.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #422 on: August 25, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »
I'm kinda torn. On one hand, I feel like it's mostly more of the same compared with the last two albums. The mid-tempo thing gets a little frustrating. Not sure if that's the right word.

On the other, there are little nuances and still a lot here that I like that I keep coming back to. It's a grower. I can't think of any songs that I flat out don't like, necessarily. Not crazy about "Maybe" but even that one's still kinda sorta ok. :P

Favorites are the title track, Never Fade, Red Giant, and So Far Under.

That's about where I am. I'm enjoying it; there's a lot of little parts that happen in the songs that make me smile, but it just feels like I'm listening to BGWTB and TDPDH... again.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #423 on: August 27, 2018, 09:20:52 AM »
I am absolutely loving this record, and think it is the best they've done with William.

The record lacks some of the bigger, radio-friendly chorus and immediate hooks of some of their prior material. But I think each song is really a lot more interesting as a whole, and a bit more proggy, at least in regard to mood shifting and some time changes as well. It's incredibly strong top to bottom, which was certainly NOT the case with Dinosaurs (for me, I thought there was a ton of filler).

I am now on my fourth listen since I got it on Friday. Each time I am hearing something new. It feels like a complete band, on the same page. Whereas while I liked the last two AIC albums,they felt like they pushed and pulled at times trying to figure out that balance of being "Alice in Chains," and being something new. This record they've settled into a sound (to my ears) and I really love what I hear. My least favorite of these is "Maybe." My early favorites are Red Giant, All I Am, and The One You Know.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #424 on: August 27, 2018, 01:24:27 PM »
I've never been much of a AIC fan. I'm a minority living up here in the Pacific Northwest. They just never grabbed me for some reason. I would probably get tarred and feathered if I said that out loud in these parts. However, I'm willing to give their new album a listen after hearing positive reviews here.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #425 on: August 27, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »
I am in the minority.   I absolutely LOVED Facelift, and was disappointed with Dirt.   I've never heard any of the self-titled or any of the albums with the new guy.  (Oh...I adored Sap and Jar of Flies as well). 

So while I really like some of the early stuff, I haven't followed them much.   They are probably my least favorite of "The Big 4", but I still think they are OK.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #426 on: August 27, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
I loved Facelift, Sap and jar of flies.  I love half of dirt. The first half that is. Them bones up to including Would, I think is awesome and then I'm not so hot on the 2nd half. I've never gone beyond one listen of self titled. Unplugged in NY is fantastic for me.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #427 on: August 28, 2018, 12:37:46 AM »
I've only listened to the new one twice but it's definitely better than Dinosaurs, and it's a grower.

For me, Dirt is still where it's at and I really like the self-titled a lot. Facelift starts very strong but can't keep up the quality in the second half imo, still a lot to love about it.

I love half of dirt. The first half that is. Them bones up to including Would

That would be the whole cd?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #428 on: August 28, 2018, 05:21:39 AM »
I've only listened to the new one twice but it's definitely better than Dinosaurs, and it's a grower.

For me, Dirt is still where it's at and I really like the self-titled a lot. Facelift starts very strong but can't keep up the quality in the second half imo, still a lot to love about it.

I love half of dirt. The first half that is. Them bones up to including Would

That would be the whole cd?

Oops, that's my fuck up. I customized the song arrangement in Itunes and forgot about it. So I have Would coming after Rooster. My bad

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #429 on: August 28, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »
I'm going to have to check out this new record, seems promising.

Offline Art

« Reply #430 on: August 30, 2018, 11:34:25 AM »
Red Giant is freaking amazing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: August 30, 2018, 08:42:33 PM »
Checked out the new album, it's great!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #432 on: August 30, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »
Fantastic album.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mladen

« Reply #433 on: August 31, 2018, 12:52:42 AM »
Yep, it's very good, and certainly more creative and interesting that Dinosaurs. The lyrical content is brilliant. Favorites: Maybe, Never fade, The One you know.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #434 on: September 04, 2018, 08:47:50 AM »
This the first AiC album that I really heard in full and I'm truly loving it! Despite being aware of Chris DeGarmo on Drone (acoustic guitar in the middle), I'm surprised that, in many songs, I'm hearing guitar lines very much in Queensryche's style, cool!
Also the album has a very good sound and mixing :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: September 04, 2018, 09:04:05 AM »
This the first AiC album that I really heard in full and I'm truly loving it! Despite being aware of Chris DeGarmo on Drone (acoustic guitar in the middle), I'm surprised that, in many songs, I'm hearing guitar lines very much in Queensryche's style, cool!
Also the album has a very good sound and mixing :tup

While I am totally biased, I hear that too. It's been in a few tunes (that sort of style) on the last couple of records to my ear. It's no secret that Jerry and Chris are pretty tight. Jerry probably picked up on some of it over the years.

The mix by Joe Baressi is pretty damn good. Really dig it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline pfillion

« Reply #436 on: September 04, 2018, 09:35:11 AM »
Yes I agree, it's a great album!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #437 on: September 04, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »

While I am totally biased, I hear that too. It's been in a few tunes (that sort of style) on the last couple of records to my ear. It's no secret that Jerry and Chris are pretty tight. Jerry probably picked up on some of it over the years.

Chris's influence on Deaf Ears Blind Eyes was something that caught my attention on first listen. But there's more moments like that on the album. I'm glad that you noticed it too.
I was thinking "WOW this time Nick Raskulinecz made a great job mixing!", but now I see... :D. Indeed Joe Baresi made an excellent job. Great drum sound and all the instruments and vocals are clear and breathing.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: September 04, 2018, 11:14:45 AM »

Chris's influence on Deaf Ears Blind Eyes was something that caught my attention on first listen. But there's more moments like that on the album. I'm glad that you noticed it too.
I was thinking "WOW this time Nick Raskulinecz made a great job mixing!", but now I see... :D. Indeed Joe Baresi made an excellent job. Great drum sound and all the instruments and vocals are clear and breathing.

Take a listen to the intro riff on "Take Her Out" from Black Gives Way to Blue. Totally influenced by DeGarmo, IMO.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #439 on: September 04, 2018, 12:05:52 PM »
I will, thanks for the recomendation  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #440 on: September 04, 2018, 12:10:03 PM »
I am not familiar with modern AiC.  But, again, given that Jerry and Chris have spent a lot of time together, and Jerry is clearly a student of music in the bigger sense, it makes sense that he would have incorporated some of that.  What Queensryche did in terms of creating a huge sound by playing different parts of the same or complimentary chords isn't rocket science, but it also isn't something a lot of metal bands have done.  But once you figure it out, it makes pretty good sense. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Art

« Reply #441 on: September 04, 2018, 01:01:15 PM »
The opening riff on Drone could be on the first Black Sabbath album.  :hat

Offline Mladen

« Reply #442 on: September 04, 2018, 01:52:54 PM »
Take a listen to the intro riff on "Take Her Out" from Black Gives Way to Blue. Totally influenced by DeGarmo, IMO.
I've known that song for years now and I'm a big fan of that riff. However, DeGarmo never crossed my mind when I was listening to it. Does is remind you of particular Queensryche riffs?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: September 04, 2018, 02:05:29 PM »
I've known that song for years now and I'm a big fan of that riff. However, DeGarmo never crossed my mind when I was listening to it. Does is remind you of particular Queensryche riffs?

It's weird. No, not really. It's just the feel of it, the melody in the riff that to me, sounds very much like something he'd write, and very different for Jerry to write.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #444 on: September 04, 2018, 04:01:19 PM »
Interesting. It is a slightly different riff for Jerry, but I'm not picking up on the DeGarmo influence. It is possible, though.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: September 04, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »
Interesting. It is a slightly different riff for Jerry, but I'm not picking up on the DeGarmo influence. It is possible, though.

We just hear it differently. I know some other QR fans who feel like you do, and some who agree with me. That's music for ya. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #446 on: September 04, 2018, 04:35:39 PM »
I just listened to it.  I wouldn't have automatically heard a Chris influence in it.  But having had that suggestion planted going in, I totally hear it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #447 on: September 05, 2018, 01:13:31 AM »
Rainier Fog is such a great record, so much better than Dinosaurs.

Random observation: the most Alice-In-Chains-of-old-sounding song is So Far Under, and it's written by William Duvall. He clearly has absorbed the style.

And I'm in the camp that can't hear the DeGarmo influence. Not saying it isn't there, but I just don't hear it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: September 05, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »
That is funny regarding So Far Under - I didn't think that sounded like Alice at all.  :lol I like it, but to me, that was the "which one of these is not like the other" track.

But completely agree that Rainer Fog is light years better than Dinosaurs.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #449 on: September 06, 2018, 01:32:47 AM »
This is the interesting thing about music. Two people listen to the same record, both like them, but they hear things (completely) differently.

To me, especially the vocal lines in the chorus sound like something Layne would/could have come up with. So Far Under sounds (to my ears) like it it was written for Dirt or the self-titled, that's why I was surprised that its not a Cantrell penned tune.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #450 on: September 07, 2018, 01:31:03 PM »
Listened to the new record today and the first impression is very positive :tup Red Giant, Drone and All I Am jumped out as immediate standout tracks, and I already really liked So Far Under and Never Fade beforehand. This may become my favorite post-Layne album, and it's a huge improvement over the overlong and somewhat samey Dinosaurs.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #451 on: September 07, 2018, 02:06:53 PM »
I got the chorus to The One You Know stuck in my head the whole day. One of my faves from Rainier Fog.

I agree that it might be the best post-Layne record.

Offline Art

« Reply #452 on: September 08, 2018, 08:31:17 AM »
I still think BGWTB is a better record, but Rainier Fog is much, much better than Dinosaurs, for sure.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #453 on: September 08, 2018, 09:52:31 AM »
I can't decide if I like RF more than Dinosaurs or not. Both are great for me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #454 on: September 08, 2018, 02:47:30 PM »
I still think BGWTB is a better record, but Rainier Fog is much, much better than Dinosaurs, for sure.
Same here.