Author Topic: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts  (Read 72807 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
The company I'm at (Citi) does initial testing before you're hired, but they only continue testing you after you start if you work as a driver or something like that (which seems somewhat reasonable).

So last week I took a drug test for a new job. I drank a couple glasses of water that afternoon because I wanted to make sure I could go when I got there for the test. Today I got a call from the woman who interviewed me, telling me that my test came back as "negative - dilute." Now she's checking with her HR director to see what the next step is. I'm going to be really upset if I can't just go take the test again, because there's absolutely nothing in my system that I'm trying to hide.

So, I guess... don't stay hydrated, folks.
So they called me today and made me go immediately to take another test. I figured it was coming so I drank pretty much nothing today so as to avoid the dilution issue. Everything should be good to go now, thank god.

Drug tests really irritate me. The guy a few cubes down from me can't go a lunch break without getting a beer or two somewhere in the city, and he hits up a different happy hour every day after work, but if I want to smoke a joint once I'm home, that makes me kind of incompetent employee. I hate my job, and I haven't smoked in nearly four months now simply due to the off chance I might see a listing that catches my eye for something I'm actually interested in.

I've always felt very weird about having a beer at lunch during a work day. In almost four years I think I've done that twice.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2017, 02:02:06 PM »
My company is private, but likely to go public soon.  My boss has said he is worried they will implement drug testing once going public.  I don't think so, the company would fold.  Tech companies are filled with stoners and pill poppers.  Our competitors facebook and google don't drug test because it would severely limit the talent pool.

The FBI and CIA can't find top notch IT security personnel because they lose them all to Cali. Silicon valley doesn't control their personal habits outside of work. If you've smoked pot within the last three years, you can't work for the FBI. I think it was in Bloomberg, but I was reading something a few months ago that was talking about how a lot of the engineers and coders at google and facebook take tiny doses of LSD before their shifts to get the creative juices flowing.

lol

When I first started here it was crazy busy and understaffed and we worked like dogs.  Overnight weekends whatever.  I'm very much against doing any drugs besides marijuana personally, but my boss had told me a lot of people in the office were regularly taking uppers to be able to handle the work loads and stay awake.  I personally find that unhealthy and not cool, but luckily we've broken out of the start up phase.

I know that feeling. Cannabis is all I'll use these days (and not currently :( ). When I was in college though, my doctor prescribed me this stuff called Vyvanse. Holllllly fuck. I never once made the honor roll in grade school or highschool, and I nearly failed out of college twice before transferring to CCSU. I started taking this stuff, and all of a sudden it was like ever section of my brain was firing on all cylinders. I could finally 'read' for the first time in my life. I graduated with a 3.62 and in the top 10% of the school of business. The side effects were pretty nasty though. I think about getting back on it for the sake of work. My job would be a piece of cake, but I'd rather not deal with the side effects and possible problems down the road. 

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2017, 08:24:09 PM »
Bump! 

I got a query via PM from someone, with the following situation:
-In a job ~4.5 years, had started looking for a similar position elsewhere, as the current workplace was toxic, stressful, and generally mismanaged
-Got a phone interview with a different place, but didn't hear back for a while, figured they were not interested in him
-Wound up quitting the original job for general suckage (finances not an issue)
-Place with the phone interview winds up calling him back after he'd already quit the original place

His questions are:
1). Have I screwed myself on the new job by quitting the original job?
2). How do I talk about having quit the original job?

My thoughts are:

1). They already saw your resume and you already had the phone interview.  I think you're past the window where not having a current job could be seen as a negative.  I think the whole "if you don't have a job, you must be unemployable" thing is horseshit, but regardless you are past the gatekeeper because they saw your resume, talked to you, and want to bring you in for a real interview.  You've demonstrated that you're employable.  I'm not even sure that you're obligated to tell them that you quit your old job (unless directly asked), your resume was accurate at the time they read it.

2). You don't want to disparage your old employer, as the natural reaction to seeing that is to assume that you'll trash them on the way out the door as well.  You might be able to say that you had outgrown it, and were in a position to be able to leave and open yourself up to new challenges.  You may also be able to talk about some of the things you learned from that experience tat you could bring to the new position, but do it in such a way that you're not throwing the old employer under the bus.

Very curious for other folks' thoughts on this, especially the second question...

Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2017, 09:37:52 PM »
Having quit my last job (also for general suckage), leading to an employment gap prior to my current job, I'm curious what people think about it as well. It eventually worked out for me, but that was an extremely stressful time.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #249 on: September 15, 2017, 07:54:11 AM »

His questions are:
1). Have I screwed myself on the new job by quitting the original job?
2). How do I talk about having quit the original job?

My thoughts are:

1). They already saw your resume and you already had the phone interview.  I think you're past the window where not having a current job could be seen as a negative.  I think the whole "if you don't have a job, you must be unemployable" thing is horseshit, but regardless you are past the gatekeeper because they saw your resume, talked to you, and want to bring you in for a real interview.  You've demonstrated that you're employable.  I'm not even sure that you're obligated to tell them that you quit your old job (unless directly asked), your resume was accurate at the time they read it.

2). You don't want to disparage your old employer, as the natural reaction to seeing that is to assume that you'll trash them on the way out the door as well.  You might be able to say that you had outgrown it, and were in a position to be able to leave and open yourself up to new challenges.  You may also be able to talk about some of the things you learned from that experience tat you could bring to the new position, but do it in such a way that you're not throwing the old employer under the bus.

Very curious for other folks' thoughts on this, especially the second question...

I agree with your assessment.  The fact that he received a call back from the new potential employer is a good sign, but if it doesn't work out, he's already quit the current job.  I don't think it will have any impact.

As to the second question, if it comes up during the interview, I'd be honest and respectful.  Admit that you have already resigned and talk about the prior employer in a positive manner.  It can be framed in a way that there were just disagreements in how to handle _____ situations, etc..  Whatever the situation may be.  It also gives the candidate an opportunity to say "I'm available to start RIGHT NOW," rather than having to wait X number of weeks out of respect to the prior employer.  That is a big plus for some people who need a new hired to start asap.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2019, 07:45:03 PM »
I know this is semi-off topic but I'm applying for a job online right now and couldn't find a "job" thread with the search function. I'm not sure how to convey that I went to college pursuing a Bachelor of Science but didn't graduate. It doesn't have the "some college" option but rather these are the closest to being correct for me:

"High school diploma or GED (11+ years)"
"Associate's Degree/College Diploma (13+ years)"
"Bachelor's Degree (16+ years)"
"None of the above"

The next field has the following modifiers to clarify how the curriculum ended:

Did you graduate from the program listed above?

"Yes"
"No"
"No Selection"

I'm thinking "Bachelor's Degree (16+ years)" + "No" would be the most accurate but I just don't wanna risk looking like a liar if some HR type misreads it so would I be better off going with "High school diploma or GED (11+ years)" since I did complete that?

Also, are you tanking your application if you don't upload a resume? I've been at my current job for 1 year and 8 months as well as my previous one for almost 5 years if we exclude the 2.5 month gap between the two where I left the 5-year job for what seemed like a better opportunity only to get canned (presumably) as a payroll casualty since the place seemed to be slowly going out of business.

Conveniently, I left Florida after getting fired from the middle job that I held for only 3 weeks so I plan on excluding that job and accounting for the two month gap in employment by saying I took time off to get everything in order for my return to my hometown in the New Orleans area.

Since the application has separate sections for listing recent employment history and uploading a resume, would it be bad to just fill in the recent employment history (excluding the 3-week job) and exclude the resume? This would show me having been continuously employed for the last 6.5 years at only two different jobs except for a 2.5 month gap.

Thanks y'all!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:03:54 PM by black_biff_stadler »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2019, 08:50:14 PM »
Depends how “professional” the job is, you don’t want to lie on your application, and you should upload a resume. I know some places don’t care as long as your application is correct but again, it depends.

1) you did not graduate college, your option should be high School  diploma.
2) Upload a resume. If it is well done, it will make you look that much more employable.
3) having too many gaps in your resume/job history (even if years apart), does not look good. So be ready to have a really good excuse.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

• DT.net Member
« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »
It's a huge corporation that's a borderline household name in America so it's very professional.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #253 on: May 13, 2019, 06:29:57 AM »
Yeah, if you don't submit a resume you don't stand a chance. Odds are an algorithm is going to comb through your submission before any actual human sees it, and it'll probably just get tossed if you don't have one.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2019, 06:59:59 AM »
Yeah, if you don't submit a resume you don't stand a chance. Odds are an algorithm is going to comb through your submission before any actual human sees it, and it'll probably just get tossed if you don't have one.

All resume's go thru some kind of 'bot to filter out the noise.  I'd guess 90% of resume submissions never see a set of human eyes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #255 on: May 13, 2019, 07:04:48 AM »
I look at every resume sent to me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2019, 07:05:43 AM »
Either way, you still have to have one to even get that far.  Resumes are not optional.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #257 on: May 13, 2019, 07:37:07 AM »
I added my resume to the application. Thanks a bunch y'all.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #258 on: May 13, 2019, 07:45:49 AM »

All resume's go thru some kind of 'bot to filter out the noise.  I'd guess 90% of resume submissions never see a set of human eyes.

My resume has a bunch of buzzwords set to size 2 and a white font at the very bottom of the last page. I don't know if it give me an edge or not, but I would think the bots would pick up the keywords and push the application through.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: May 13, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »

My resume has a bunch of buzzwords set to size 2 and a white font at the very bottom of the last page. I don't know if it give me an edge or not, but I would think the bots would pick up the keywords and push the application through.

Lol that is clever.

But yeah, Jingle is right, if the resume goes through an application process, there is a chance some algorithm dumps it out before anyone sees it. If your application goes directly to a person, not having a resume will have a great impact on whether or not they contact you. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: May 13, 2019, 08:10:40 AM »

:lol good idea, is this trick derivied from somewhere or you just tried it out?  I'm wondering if someone from a recruiter divulged some secrets. 

But speaking of resumes... mine is so old.  And I had one on career builder from 2009 and I don't know why but all of the sudden I am getting phone calls about it  :lol Like why is someone calling about my clearly old resume?  I certainly don't trust them, but I took it down and I really need to update mine, even my linkedin is over 5 years old now.  Which I just realized I hadn't logged in tehre for years.  I didn't even realize how many people I know actively use it for social media essentially.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #261 on: May 13, 2019, 08:30:58 AM »
Holy shit I started this thread almost ten years ago...   :lol
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #262 on: May 13, 2019, 09:27:41 AM »

:lol good idea, is this trick derivied from somewhere or you just tried it out?  I'm wondering if someone from a recruiter divulged some secrets. 

I used to do it with entire paragraphs (would copy and paste) when college professors used to require a specific word count. All they'd do was open the word doc and look at the count at the bottom. If I added 400 hidden words at the end of what was supposed to be a 3000 word write up, they were none the wiser.

It just made sense to me that a similar tactic could be used to outsmart algorithms.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #263 on: May 13, 2019, 09:56:16 AM »
Resumes are not optional. If you don't send it, a field will be blank, and if they have filters to winnow down applicants, you'll suffer.

Truthfulness is more important than accuracy, in the sense that if none of the lines actually fits, you still need to be able to defend the answer.   I think you have the right approach with "Bachelor's + No". 

The other one about the quitting the job is more subjective.  That totally depends on who you are talking to.  I would personally not bring it up unless asked, and if asked I would fall back on the idea that "truthfulness is more important than accuracy".  If they ask "are you currently employed with that company", you have to say "no".  I encountered this very question with a very large international (i.e. professional) company, where their questions made it seem like I was still employed by a company even though I left them almost six months before.    I was asked about it and I answered truthfully (that I wasn't still employed by them, but that I was employed at that point as an independent) and was later told in confidence that when contemplating the offer that was finally given to me, the only issue that mattered was "Did I lie on my application?".  At the end of the day, I can honestly say "I did not".  I have no way of knowing how deep their understanding of the actual events was.   That's not my problem. 

• DT.net Member
« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2019, 08:11:41 PM »
Is it a bad idea to call after a few day's to check on the status of your application? If not, then how many days after submitting your application should you call?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:30:19 PM by black_biff_stadler »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2019, 08:49:15 PM »
It depends on what they've told you, if anything.  If they say something like "We expect to make a decision by next week" then you sit tight.  And if you haven't heard back in like 10 days, call them.  If they say something vague like "We're still in the early part of the process" or some shit, then I don't think you're out of line calling back in a week.  But I try not to leave any meeting, including an interview, without some kind of timeline.  Ask them when you can expect to hear from them.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #266 on: May 14, 2019, 09:04:31 PM »
I've only applied online for this and haven't had any human contact of any kind yet.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #267 on: May 14, 2019, 10:36:20 PM »
In that case, I have no idea.  I think you apply to things online and then basically wait for someone to contact you.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2019, 11:38:40 PM »
I'm willing to be risky with this job. It basically pays what my current job does but on just a 40 hour week in four days with the full weekend off as opposed to my current 50-55 hour week plus it has health insurance (dental and vision too) and 401k and I won't have to use my own car for work anymore. I want this more badly than anything else I've encountered in the last five years that doesn't have a vagina.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: May 15, 2019, 07:10:57 AM »
For online application is usually a waiting game. Specially if it's a big company, you might not even be able to contact the person reviewing your application. If you do get a hold of that person, they might just tell you "We will start reviewing application in X weeks".

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #270 on: May 15, 2019, 07:12:15 AM »
For online application is usually a waiting game. Specially if it's a big company, you might not even be able to contact the person reviewing your application. If you do get a hold of that person, they might just tell you "We will start reviewing application in X weeks".

Ain't that the truth. I applied for a job last year to be an audit compliance manager at a marijuana production facility. They called me 7 months later. 

• DT.net Member
« Reply #271 on: May 15, 2019, 07:14:32 AM »
Were you able to pass the drug test?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #272 on: May 15, 2019, 07:35:32 AM »
Were you able to pass the drug test?

After about 25 minutes of back and forth on the phone, I decided to not even come in for an interview. They called me to ask me to interview for another position they had open up. I wanted to know the salary range for the position and the woman wouldn't give it to me. I kept getting the "Well, we take a bunch of factors into account when determining a salary, blah blah blah". It eventually got to me saying "You must have some kind of minimum figure, and you definitely have a maximum figure you're willing to pay for this position. That's all I'm asking for.".   

She finally told me the max they were willing to pay and I'd have been taking a 40% pay cut. I'm not sure whether or not there was a drug test for it, but if there was, I wouldn't have passed it without cheating.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #273 on: May 15, 2019, 10:26:37 AM »
Wait.... did I put two and two together correctly?

You would have had a drug test (that you would have likely failed) for an Audit Compliance Manager at a marijuana production facility?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #274 on: May 15, 2019, 07:38:36 PM »
That was the joke I was making.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »
I was offered a job . Guy told me it pays 10 dollars an hour, In 6 months it goes up to 12.50. I told the guy I’ll be back in 6 months.
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #276 on: November 17, 2019, 08:25:15 AM »
I've decided I need to start seriously looking for a new job. But I can't seem to get myself to eve apply for anything.

Some background on why I feel like leaving: I've been there 7 years and it feels like my drive and interest in the company is waning. The group I primarily support is all but being disbanded, basically making the job I was hired to do irrelevant. My job has shifted over the years and I report in through a different group, but that group is severely behind on it's revenue goals for the year. I'm the highest paid non-manager in the company by far (and probably make more than most of the managers as well) and I feel like sooner or later someone on high will look at me and wonder why they're paying me so much when
I work in an under performing group and primarily support a group that they're letting die.

My problem is that my current job is 2 miles away. I almost never work more than 40 hours a week. I get a 15% bonus every year (varied dependent on company performance, but it's averaged around 100% the last 4 years, this year on track for 135%) and am paid fairly for my normal salary. I am skeptical that I will be able to find anything that pays better, doesn't require a bunch of extra hours, and doesn't lead to a long commute. So I'm not even bothering to apply. I don't know if I should listen to the part of my brain that's reluctant or if I should listen to the part that says it's time to move on from this job. I also feel like I have a little bit of impostor syndrome going on, where my critical side is telling myself that I'm not good enough or don't have the experience for the jobs I see listed.

Not sure if anyone can offer any insight. I know I can apply and interview for jobs without actually accepting an offer, and I keep telling myself to do just that. But I can't get myself to even apply.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #277 on: November 17, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »
Yeah, I'm in a similar boat, finally think I'm at a breaking point with my job. Love the hours and the work/life balance, but I'm tired of getting the periodic emails from GlassDoor showing the salary range for someone with my education and experience and seeing myself way at the ass end of the spectrum. Basically planning on seeing how my year end comp discussion goes early next year but getting a sense so far that it's not going to go well enough to keep me from looking elsewhere.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #278 on: November 17, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »
Yeah, I'm in a similar boat, finally think I'm at a breaking point with my job. Love the hours and the work/life balance, but I'm tired of getting the periodic emails from GlassDoor showing the salary range for someone with my education and experience and seeing myself way at the ass end of the spectrum. Basically planning on seeing how my year end comp discussion goes early next year but getting a sense so far that it's not going to go well enough to keep me from looking elsewhere.

Haven't you been getting brushed off about promotion/comp stuff for a couple of years now? 

@lordxizor, I think there'a another way you might be able to play this.  Do you ever get calls from recruiters, or do you have any recruiter contacts?  Some of them have specific positions they are trying to get filled (and therefore get commission), but there are some that will take the attributes you're looking for, and see what they can find to match.  That way, you can be getting a better read on what is available, without having to switch into "actively looking" mode, and you might get a better outcome.

I'm having to start thinking about this again.  I last (knowingly) interviewed over 14 years ago, but given that we're getting bought and there are huge synergy targets, I expect that I'll be searching sometime next summer.  I'm effectively on my fourth or fifth different job within the company (including the legacy companies), but I think that run comes to an end soon.  It's just as well, as I've picked up enough skills, knowledge and experience that I think I can leverage it into a decent jump in position/salary (I know I'm underpaid, but I've been getting invaluable experience, and I'm still very well-compensated in the grand scheme). So right now I'm trying to pack in all the additional experience I can (sure, I can become an expert in genetics and gene therapy in six months!), and figuring out how I want to position myself for what comes next.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #279 on: November 17, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »
@lordxizor, I think there'a another way you might be able to play this.  Do you ever get calls from recruiters, or do you have any recruiter contacts?  Some of them have specific positions they are trying to get filled (and therefore get commission), but there are some that will take the attributes you're looking for, and see what they can find to match.  That way, you can be getting a better read on what is available, without having to switch into "actively looking" mode, and you might get a better outcome.
Yeah, I should reach out to the couple of recruiters I've spoken with over the years. I did list myself as seeking a new position on Linkedin, which means a bunch should be reaching out. Most of them are in the boat of having a particular position they want me to consider, which is rarely anything close to what I want, I just matched some keyword search. But occasionally a good one comes around that seems to genuinely want to find the right position for you. That's how I got my current job.