Author Topic: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts  (Read 73479 times)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2011, 06:05:41 PM »
When they say "Tell me about yourself" what is the starting point? I have no idea what they want to know.

"Why should we hire you?" is another dumb one. It's almost impossible to answer that without sounding smug.

I can't be certain about the "right" answers to those (I think they're bullshit questions, and thus don't ask them), but I think the answers are really the same:  talk about what traits you have that would make you an asset to the company.  Keep it broad for the first one...don't go into trivia about yourself, unless specifically propmted for hobbies, interests, etc.  And remember it's OK to sound confident...risking sounding smug beats the hell out of 2/3 of the interviewees I see, where the lack of confidence is a red flag, and the single biggest thing that can make me reccomend against hiring the person.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »
Thanks for that. I got an interview tomorrow and I've gotten a slew of these types of questions in the past. I'm never quite sure if I answered them well enough.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2011, 02:47:58 AM »
ATTENTION MILLLAAAAHHH!

In an interview I was asked 'Why do you think we should hire you?"  To which I gave a pretty standard answer, followed by "...and I'm awesome."

Was this a wise thing to say?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2011, 02:50:47 AM »
^ :lol :lol Man I wish someone took a video of that moment.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2011, 03:45:42 AM »
I didn't end up getting get the job :lol

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2011, 06:03:59 AM »
Guys, I need a quick response to this. I've been short listed for a job I really want and I have no idea how to answer this question:

"Also how would you add value to this client’s business based on the information enclosed should you be successful?"

Some serious help would be great!

Edit: Never mind, I got help off someone else.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:59:25 AM by AcidRainLTE »

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2011, 07:57:03 AM »
There won't be a next time. Having a lifetime job now.  :hat

A lifetime job?  Did you join the mafia?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »
I have an interview in 12 hours for an internship at ING financial. I haven't had a job interview in 7 years... I'm freaking out.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2013, 07:39:39 PM »
Just re-read my first post, and relax :)  And read this: https://www.career.vt.edu/Interviewing/Behavioral.html
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »
I'm waiting to hear back from Citi, having interviewed with them last week. A friend of mine who works there now (and brought my resume to the attention of HR) said I was basically a shoo-in as long as I could talk about the experiences on my resume and didn't fuck up the interview (which I don't think I did). The interview was on the 5th, and I was told I'd hear from them "early next week". HR emailed me on the 12th asking what my salary was this year and the previous two, and I haven't heard since (and of course my friend is now on vacation). How long should I wait to follow up with them?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »
Another thing I absolutely HATE about interviews:

I hate the question, "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/interview_questions

DON'T:  Freely talk about how you don't really have any career ambition.

DON'T:  Stand between your audience and your slides, when there's another place you could have stood just as easily.

DON'T:  Talk about how you had to pull everything together for your interview seminar at the last moment.

Pretty sure I woke everyone in my house up while laughing at the gargling your company's balls one...

Also: where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I'll have taken your job and fucked your wife.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
I'm waiting to hear back from Citi, having interviewed with them last week. A friend of mine who works there now (and brought my resume to the attention of HR) said I was basically a shoo-in as long as I could talk about the experiences on my resume and didn't fuck up the interview (which I don't think I did). The interview was on the 5th, and I was told I'd hear from them "early next week". HR emailed me on the 12th asking what my salary was this year and the previous two, and I haven't heard since (and of course my friend is now on vacation). How long should I wait to follow up with them?

I've never been good with knowing follow-up timing.  You did hear from them on schedule, just not with an answer.  Maybe Monday?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »
If they are asking you for information, follow up right away. If you are just waiting for them to get back to you, then it's fine to wait a little bit longer.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2013, 09:08:01 PM »
Yeah, I was figuring either Monday or Tuesday I'd follow up (and I did reply with the requested information promptly earlier this week).

Another question. I've got a vacation planned for a family reunion in July. It's not a dealbreaker for me if I can't attend, but I'd very much like to. I know that the timing shouldn't be an issue with the monthly work flow with the team I'd be joining. If they were to offer me the job, is this something I should mention when an offer is made, or should I wait until I start the position and bring it up with my supervisor after a couple weeks?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »
For my public speaking class, we had a section on job interviews and the teacher said that we should always wear a blue dress shirt with a blue tie to interviews.

Has anyone else ever heard of this and does it really matter that much what color shirt you wear? Obviously I would never wear a power color like red, but I would think blue, green or white would be ok.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2013, 08:08:16 AM »
That is oddly specific. If anything I'd say a white shirt and a conservative tie with your suit would be fine by anyone's standards.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »
For some reason, blue is the most common color people wear at the office I work in. Not sure if that's true other places, but I'd imagining interviewing in a blue shirt here would defnitely send a very subconscious "familar" signal to everyone.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »
I just demolished that interview. I'd be shocked if I wasn't selected. I had 5 people interviewing me, and as the main guy was walking out he said "you did a fantastic job in there".

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
Another thing I absolutely HATE about interviews:

I hate the question, "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

Bizarre, we had a discussion about that very question, and I was too of the opinion that it is a useless question. The only interesting answers are the stupid ones, e.g. one candidate we had who said "Yeah, I'm not sure. I actually wanted to go back to college, and I still might, but I figured I'd apply for a regular job in the meantime too".

I have to admit, I'm the sort of person who would truthfully answer "doing exactly the same thing but better at it" to that.

rumborak
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Ħ

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2013, 04:33:40 PM »
Do - smile. Present yourself as a positive, jovial person.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »
So, interestingly I am having a job interview on Tuesday, for Amazon. They're getting into speech recognition, so they're trying to scoop up people.
I'm really torn about it. On one hand it's an interesting opportunity, but on the other I'm rather tired of the whole speech recognition thing and if I actually switched I'd rather go to something else, not yet another speech rec company.
Also, because I have worked for more than 5 years at my current company, I get 4 weeks of vacation. Given my love for travel, that is pretty nice. At Amazon I would get a measly 2 weeks, 3 after working for one year there. And you can bet it would be long hours too because I would first have to establish myself.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2013, 02:08:25 PM »
So, interestingly I am having a job interview on Tuesday, for Amazon.

Round 14: Estimated outflow volume in cubic meters per second [[Amazon: A 220,000 m^2 block of water populated with dolphins and fish, with some people who have driven up in a car to observe it. Amazon.com: 0.9 m^2 in packages]]

Amazon.com took a surprise early lead with 'Time required to transport a package from Iquitos, Peru to Manaus, Brazil' but then lost it at 'Minutes to skeletonize a cow'.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2013, 02:12:09 PM »
My friend is a software engineer at Amazon in their supply chain development dept, from what I've heard it's a great place to work.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2013, 05:44:58 AM »
Over the years, I've interviewed about 50 people for the 7 positions I have in my group.  I run an I.T. department for those who don't know.

Anyway, probably the dumbest thing I ever had a candidate for the position of "Network Administrator" say to me was, "Well, if you take me inside and let me have a look at your servers and your network, I will show you everything you've done wrong."  :facepalm:   :lol

The only other really crazy one was a guy who tried to turn the tables on me.  As we were going through the questions, instead of answering the latest question I had asked, he said, "Let me ask YOU a question:  Why does this company deserve to have ME working here?"   :\

Needless to say, neither of those candidates had a second interview.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2013, 05:50:07 AM »
Geez, I mean confidence is a great thing, but those are just downright arrogant to the point of delusion.

I don't even know what answer someone would expect from that question. How on earth would that help you get a job?! :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2013, 12:23:33 PM »
Those are both pretty impressive displays of clueless arrogance.  Perhaps they don't realize there's a difference between clever/gutsy and just being an asshole?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
Woohoooo! Just got a call from ING. I scored myself a 12 week internship this summer. I quote, "we aren't exactly sure where you'll be working just yet. The managers are fighting over who is going to get you"  :metal

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
Woohoooo! Just got a call from ING. I scored myself a 12 week internship this summer. I quote, "we aren't exactly sure where you'll be working just yet. The managers are fighting over who is going to get you"  :metal

Awesome dude, made a name for yourself all ready :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2013, 12:13:42 PM »

DO - politely thank them for the opportunity.

DO NOT - request an office with a balcony.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2013, 12:16:34 PM »
:lol

In general something on the first floor would probably be best.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »

DO - politely thank them for the opportunity.

DO NOT - request an office with a balcony.

How should I go about a thank you letter?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »
Short answer: Immediately.

Longer answer: In the usual way.  Even if it seems to be in the bag now, thank them for the opportunity to meet with them (don't call it an "interview") to discuss how you might best fit with their company, you look forward to hearing from them soon, blah blah blah.

Those are both pretty impressive displays of clueless arrogance.  Perhaps they don't realize there's a difference between clever/gutsy and just being an asshole?

I'm sure that's it.  Confidence is good, arrogance is bad, but one is really just another form of the other, and some people don't know where the line is.

Obviously you want to present yourself as confident.  You're not going to waste your or anyone else's time second-guessing yourself, because you know your shit.  But presuming to know more than your employer, or that you can show them everything they're doing wrong is arrogance.  First of all, you don't know that they're doing anything wrong.  It's entirely possible that you know your shit but don't know more than they do.  Second, nobody likes a smartass.  You may be right and they might be wrong, but you haven't yet earned the right to tell them that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2013, 12:36:54 PM »
On your first day show up with a gift basket that has a half full bottle of Vodka and a card that reads, "thnk yu fo this opppppertunty, yuu wont regrets itt!"
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2013, 12:43:08 PM »
Is that a Do or a Don't?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni