Author Topic: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts  (Read 72835 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts
« Reply #595 on: February 26, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »
And unless I'm misunderstanding big time, while I'm sure they wanted the prints for something benign, like a plaque or something, why do that?  What if down the road there was a more serious reason to need the prints?  I could see - MAYBE - taking them from another cadaver, but I'm not giving mine.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #596 on: February 26, 2021, 04:46:15 PM »
And unless I'm misunderstanding big time, while I'm sure they wanted the prints for something benign, like a plaque or something, why do that?  What if down the road there was a more serious reason to need the prints?  I could see - MAYBE - taking them from another cadaver, but I'm not giving mine.

A lot of places, mine included, partner with companies that make jewelry out of fingerprints, and that's 99% of the reason why they are needed. If it's for investigation or identification that's done by police/medical examiner/coroner before things get to us.

Geeze, that's pretty fucked up too.  Like why even do that instead of just waiting until he has the body?

Honesty is really important IMO.  Finding some lie like that would immediately turn me off from someone.

From what I understand there was some plan in place to take the body straight form the MEs office to the crematory, meaning the body would have never gone to the funeral home (which is weird to begin with), and so unless this guy was the one doing the transport he would have never had direct access to the body. These details are fuzzier and might not be completely correct, but it's the jist I got.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #597 on: April 06, 2021, 10:17:35 AM »
Well, almost four months into the new job. Pros: the paycheck. Cons: the team I've come into is a large scale dumpster fire and the head of the team may have a drinking problem
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: April 06, 2021, 12:06:46 PM »
Well, almost four months into the new job. Pros: the paycheck. Cons: the team I've come into is a large scale dumpster fire and the head of the team may have a drinking problem

Aren't you the head of the team?!?   I'm kidding.   Hopefully it's not something that touches your ability to perform.

Is this the job in Orlando?  Are you still up here?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #599 on: April 06, 2021, 12:35:44 PM »
I'm still up here, currently they're not planning on reopening offices before September 1st so I won't move down there until then. The head of the NY team/de facto head of pricing in North America is who I was talking about (it's still not entirely clear to me whether I'm formally meant to report into him or directly into the global head of pricing in Dublin). It's probably just jitters thinking about making the move down there, but I'm starting to think that I might be better off getting an apartment rather than buying a house right away.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: April 06, 2021, 12:41:28 PM »
I'm still up here, currently they're not planning on reopening offices before September 1st so I won't move down there until then. The head of the NY team/de facto head of pricing in North America is who I was talking about (it's still not entirely clear to me whether I'm formally meant to report into him or directly into the global head of pricing in Dublin). It's probably just jitters thinking about making the move down there, but I'm starting to think that I might be better off getting an apartment rather than buying a house right away.

That's not the worst idea anyway, man.  I've done that move now a bunch of times, and if you can afford it (meaning, two moves, banking the proceeds from your house here to use for the down payment, and any provisions to get out of a lease early if you find something you love) it's the right way to go.  You can't possibly know the exact area you want, etc. etc. without SOME recon, and this allows you to do that without the pressure of weekend trips and/or your shit in storage.   

I know some people down that area, if you want any info (my wife's cousin is there; they are close).  Let me know.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #601 on: April 06, 2021, 01:20:33 PM »
Well I'm still living home with the parents, so it's just about finding a place down there. I had always wanted to go right into owning so that I was always paying into equity in something, that's why I haven't moved out yet. My larger concern at this point is if I'm down there six months and decide the job's just not for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #602 on: April 06, 2021, 01:58:05 PM »
Well I'm still living home with the parents, so it's just about finding a place down there. I had always wanted to go right into owning so that I was always paying into equity in something, that's why I haven't moved out yet. My larger concern at this point is if I'm down there six months and decide the job's just not for me.

Or (as is being discussed in the home ownership thread), the housing market takes a nose dive.  That is just as (if not more) likely.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #603 on: May 05, 2021, 03:33:59 PM »
I heard ya missed me, I'm baa-aaack!

Don't: Wear a "Thin Blue Line" cowl in lieu of a mask for interviewing at a racially/culturally diverse company
Don't: Have a arrogant attitude like you know everything already when I'm telling you something that I am quite sure that you don't know
Do: Have a good answer about why you are interested in working someplace beyond "it seems like a hot industry"
Do: Be able to remember what systems you are using in your current job (especially for IT positions)
Do: Remember to enunciate clearly when wearing a mask if you have a thicker accent, the interviewer no longer has the benefit of being able to see your lips move to help in understanding what you are saying

Axeman, what's your latest?
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: May 06, 2021, 07:46:33 AM »
I heard ya missed me, I'm baa-aaack!

Don't: Wear a "Thin Blue Line" cowl in lieu of a mask for interviewing at a racially/culturally diverse company
Don't: Have a arrogant attitude like you know everything already when I'm telling you something that I am quite sure that you don't know
Do: Have a good answer about why you are interested in working someplace beyond "it seems like a hot industry"
Do: Be able to remember what systems you are using in your current job (especially for IT positions)
Do: Remember to enunciate clearly when wearing a mask if you have a thicker accent, the interviewer no longer has the benefit of being able to see your lips move to help in understanding what you are saying

I'm extremely grateful that I haven't had to interview (yet) in a mask scenario.   I think it's a huge disadvantage for both sides, and unless one or both parties is an exemplar of verbal communication - and most people are not - it's going to lead to poorer decisions in an area that is already fraught with peril.   (I don't think people realize how arbitrary and failure-prone the hiring process really is.  There's only so much you can do in the time allotted to really get the measure of the person you're interviewing.  It's also, IMO, a problem when the manager/boss is also the hiring manager.  GE used to have a separate person come in and be "hiring manager", to provide context and perspective, and to make sure the "boss" wasn't just hiring a "boss clone", one of the more common mistake.)

I know for me, I love to read faces.  Micro-expressions, reactions, whatever.   I'm a face guy.  I like seeing people smile.  I like smiling at people.  There are other emotions that can be sent as well, and those are lost behind a mask.  It's very limiting.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #605 on: May 06, 2021, 09:24:24 AM »
My sister is HR for a university and in the past year or so they've conducted interviews virtually.  Still not ideal, but closer to "face time" than sitting in the same room yet not seeing each others faces.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: May 06, 2021, 09:42:51 AM »
My sister is HR for a university and in the past year or so they've conducted interviews virtually.  Still not ideal, but closer to "face time" than sitting in the same room yet not seeing each others faces.

Same with my company.  And considering we are trying to hire someone in Amsterdam, it would have been all virtual anyway.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #607 on: July 12, 2021, 06:21:32 PM »
Need your thoughts.

Current job: Sr. engineer, 5 direct reports. Promotion upcoming to manage a new service offering. 12-15 direct reports in the new role. In the office 2 miles from home, possibility of 2 days a week from home. Timing of promotion and future salary TBD, but I suspect they'll offer 10% raise.

Interviewing for new job elsewhere, didn't search it out, they contacted me. Was initially a principle engineer role, but I didn't fit all of the desired qualifications, so they said they'd consider me as senior engineer. I said no. They call back several days later saying they've retooled the role and would like to proceed with principle engineer. No formal offer yet, still one more round of interviews, but clearly the hiring manager likes me. 25 mile commute, 2-3 days a week from home. Salary and benefits TBD, but I suspect a 15-20% raise with loss of 1 week of PTO.

I can't decide if I want to continue with the potential new company. I like the upcoming role at my current company. It's a nice step up and I'll be formalized as the expert I my company in a specific area. I'd also feel crappy leaving right now given that they're building this role for me. I plan on trying to negotiate the salary since I think they'll low ball me a bit. And I'm going to push for the promotion soon rather than towards the end of the year as I suspect they're planning. However, the other job will have more variety and present a new challenge. I suspect it will offer more money, at least initially. There are some other advantages as well in long term career terms. For now I plan to continue with interviews and see if I get an offer. I don't like the idea of leveraging an offer from the new company to get more money at my current job, but that is one possibility.

Thoughts? Considerations? Advice?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: July 12, 2021, 06:25:48 PM »
I like the upcoming role at my current company.

This has value which you can't put a $ amount on

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #609 on: July 12, 2021, 06:32:33 PM »
I like the upcoming role at my current company.

This has value which you can't put a $ amount on
True. I don't like how they're delaying the promotion and I suspect they'll offer me well below market value. I'm already 10-15% below what I could be at in my current role. Part of it is definitely a devil you know versus the devil you don't too. The new company sounds like a good role too though.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #610 on: August 24, 2021, 07:24:35 PM »
I asked this in another thread but figure I'd ask here too.

Am I just old fashion or does anyone else think it's unprofessional for a potential employer to reach out via text instead of calling + email in response to an application.

I'm still job hunting, and things are getting down to the wire. My Plan B is to work at an Amazon DSP (Delivery Service Partner- the companies that Amazon contracts for their Prime Deliveries).  I've heard back from several of them, including one right now inviting me to interview, but it's mainly been through text.

When I was hiring people, I would call, and if there was no answer, leave a Voicemail, and then email them. I wouldn't communicate via text unless it was later to confirm something or relay the address, etc.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #611 on: August 24, 2021, 08:01:16 PM »
I think it's a sign of changing times.  To me, email is still more "official" or professional, but text is more immediate, and sometimes more immediate is more important.  But not important enough for a call.  Actual voice phone calls don't happen anymore until they actually offer you the job, and not always then.  The official offer could still come via email or text.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #612 on: August 25, 2021, 10:46:14 AM »
I asked this in another thread but figure I'd ask here too.

Am I just old fashion or does anyone else think it's unprofessional for a potential employer to reach out via text instead of calling + email in response to an application.

I'm still job hunting, and things are getting down to the wire. My Plan B is to work at an Amazon DSP (Delivery Service Partner- the companies that Amazon contracts for their Prime Deliveries).  I've heard back from several of them, including one right now inviting me to interview, but it's mainly been through text.

When I was hiring people, I would call, and if there was no answer, leave a Voicemail, and then email them. I wouldn't communicate via text unless it was later to confirm something or relay the address, etc.

Amazon employs 1.3 million people. I don't know what their turnover rate is, but I imagine it's greater than most industries depending on the department. The amount of applicants Amazon must have to sort through per year has got to be astronomical. You'd need a small army of Amazon employees just to personally call and email every person hoping to apply. It's a huge waste of money. Professionalism is nice, but it adds little to no value to the bottom line when it comes to these types of positions.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:38:24 AM by Chino »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: August 25, 2021, 11:23:21 AM »
I'm willing to bet it's a mere 1% (probably less) of applications at Amazon actually see a set of human eyes.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: August 25, 2021, 12:20:13 PM »
I don't know what their turnover rate is, but I imagine it's greater than most industries depending on the department.

It's extremely high

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: August 25, 2021, 01:49:40 PM »
Interviewed with them today. Went well, I think.

I've also applied to a propert management company that I've worked with in the past when I was working security. Working with HOA violations. Something I actually have unique experience with :lol

They'll either see my name and go "Oh it's Jeremy!" Or... "Oh... It's Jeremy..."

We shall see.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: August 27, 2021, 08:27:36 PM »
I know I said I think it went well, but I received my "Fuck off" text from the dude who interviewed me. It's strange..
 I haven't failed an interview since I was 18 and interviewed at Target. I've turned down more job offers than I've been denied in my life.

I just had another one of the delivery contractors I applied to reach out to me. A much more professional message (via email and the Indeed app). Much more professional sounding. Going to set up an interview for Tuesday.

I also received an invite to test for a job with the county for the animal shelter. It's a long shot but there's a chance there : JayOctavarium:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: August 31, 2021, 12:54:32 PM »
Another interview with an Amazon contractor in a few. Wish me luck!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #618 on: August 31, 2021, 02:41:37 PM »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: August 31, 2021, 04:46:06 PM »
Interview went much better than the last one. Much more professional. I'm pretty sure the last dude I interviewed with (who wasn't wearing a mask indoors with me btw... Against county mandate) saw fat me and figured I wouldn't be cut out for it... Didnt really ask me much, just went on about how physical the job is.

The guy who interviewed me for this company today actually conducted a damn interview.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: September 06, 2021, 11:33:10 AM »
Alright... so neither of the Amazon interviews panned out.

Right now I have my hat in the ring for a good paying 40hr a week security job with a shitty company that offers no benefits (Interview tomorrow via video) and a courier position for a national diagnostics lab, which doesn't pay as much but seems like a good start with the a company I could work my way up in... the biggest problem is the pay PLUS it only being 32 hours a week. I've done a recorded phone interview thing with them, as well as an online assessment.

I also have done a virtual recorded video interview with Target... for loss prevention. far from my first choice, but it's work. Waiting to hear back from them.

The wildcard is a local mattress chain that I applied to, starting pay is fine, plus commission. I keep getting notifications from Zip recruiter that they keep pulling my application and resume up... so maybe I'll get a call? I have no sales experience, but I enjoy learning about shit and regurgitating facts to people.. so maybe I can put that to good use and sell people beds :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: September 08, 2021, 09:05:41 PM »
Had another interview with another Amazon Delivery contractor. Video Interview. With the owner.

And Hired :JayOctavarium:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #622 on: September 08, 2021, 09:22:34 PM »
Huzzah!
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #623 on: September 08, 2021, 10:00:36 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: September 09, 2021, 11:02:37 AM »
Awesomesauce!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: October 28, 2021, 11:46:09 AM »
So I don't remember if I posted about this in this thread, but I am interviewing for a a huge (for me) job working Loss Prevention for a new Amazon Fulfillment Center opening near me. It's a tier 4 position within Amazon, meaning great benefits, great pay, and sign on bonus.

Just finished my second virtual interview, which is the first of four today. WISH ME LUCK YA'LL!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #626 on: October 28, 2021, 12:02:59 PM »
First of 4? sounds intense, good luck!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:21:25 PM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: October 28, 2021, 12:53:53 PM »

Second one down. I think the first one went well. Second one... I think went... Fine. Next one starts in 10 minutes.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: October 28, 2021, 02:03:12 PM »

Second one down. I think the first one went well. Second one... I think went... Fine. Next one starts in 10 minutes.

Go Jay, go!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: October 28, 2021, 03:16:45 PM »
Done. That was an intense 4 hours.

I'll know the results in 3-5 days.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"