Author Topic: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts  (Read 73558 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts
« Reply #560 on: January 27, 2021, 06:01:29 AM »
Good luck Jay.  Internal referrals absolutely help.  Given the ease by which it is to apply for jobs these days, AI algorithms weed out 90% of applicants (at least).  The hardest part about applying to any job is getting a set of human eyes to look at the application/resume.  Hopefully your friend has passed along your resume directly to the hiring manager.  Most companies will have HR further screen applicants, further limiting ones chance to 'get' to the hiring manager.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #561 on: January 28, 2021, 08:03:21 AM »
I just went though the real corporate interview process for the first time in my life.

November 7th - Had an extensive interview with two in store managers. It went very well.

November 13th - Had a second extensive interview. This time with the regional manager. It also went very well.

November 14th - Did an hour long online evaluation

November 16th - Got a phone call to verbally make me a job offer. Was told everything from that point would be through email

November 21th - Got written offer. Accepted the offer

November 24th - Completed background check

Today is the final step as I go for a drug test in a couple hours.
Its the best job I've ever landed. Its with Tile America in New Haven

During the interview process when asked a question I felt challenged to find an answer for I slightly deflected giving an answer that had some relevance to the question. Then I smiled (through a mask) and said, "I'm sorry I'm not sure if that really answered the question you asked me?"

The interviewer said, "No that's fine I actually like your answer very much."

So there you have it. I went through the process and I landed the job. It feels really good.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #562 on: January 28, 2021, 08:42:09 AM »
Congratulations!!!!!

I know that area of New Haven pretty well; you've got Sally's and Libby's Italian Pastries on Wooster Street, you've got Modern Pizza and Bear's just North of you (Humphrey Street, though I think it changes names at some point) and Stagedoor Johnnie's for when work doesn't go quite the way you'd want it!   :)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #563 on: January 28, 2021, 10:12:09 AM »
Congratulations!!!!!

I know that area of New Haven pretty well; you've got Sally's and Libby's Italian Pastries on Wooster Street, you've got Modern Pizza and Bear's just North of you (Humphrey Street, though I think it changes names at some point) and Stagedoor Johnnie's for when work doesn't go quite the way you'd want it!   :)
Thanks! I appreciate it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: January 28, 2021, 02:11:34 PM »
Congrats Tick, thats great!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #565 on: January 28, 2021, 07:35:49 PM »
Congrats Tick, thats great!
Thank you!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #566 on: January 28, 2021, 10:32:53 PM »
Grats Tick!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #567 on: January 29, 2021, 05:45:53 AM »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #568 on: January 29, 2021, 06:56:45 AM »
 :tup :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #569 on: January 29, 2021, 03:03:26 PM »
Nice Work Rich  :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #570 on: January 29, 2021, 03:31:39 PM »
I just went though the real corporate interview process for the first time in my life.

November 7th - Had an extensive interview with two in store managers. It went very well.

November 13th - Had a second extensive interview. This time with the regional manager. It also went very well.

November 14th - Did an hour long online evaluation

November 16th - Got a phone call to verbally make me a job offer. Was told everything from that point would be through email

November 21th - Got written offer. Accepted the offer

November 24th - Completed background check

Today is the final step as I go for a drug test in a couple hours.
Its the best job I've ever landed. Its with Tile America in New Haven

During the interview process when asked a question I felt challenged to find an answer for I slightly deflected giving an answer that had some relevance to the question. Then I smiled (through a mask) and said, "I'm sorry I'm not sure if that really answered the question you asked me?"

The interviewer said, "No that's fine I actually like your answer very much."

So there you have it. I went through the process and I landed the job. It feels really good.
:tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #571 on: January 31, 2021, 07:10:24 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #572 on: January 31, 2021, 11:45:05 AM »
Feeling that Big Tick Energy from ya!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #573 on: February 05, 2021, 11:35:10 AM »
Just got word that after a year of pushing for it, I've finally gotten promoted and get to drop the "Associate" from my job title. I got bumped into the "gets an annual bonus" tier and got a 9% pay bump. The raise doesn't take effect until April, so a celebratory wagyu steak will have to wait until then  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: February 05, 2021, 12:47:28 PM »
Awesome Chino  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: February 05, 2021, 01:17:56 PM »
Hey! Congratulations!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: February 05, 2021, 01:32:33 PM »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 04:52:50 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: February 06, 2021, 07:26:46 AM »
Just got word that after a year of pushing for it, I've finally gotten promoted and get to drop the "Associate" from my job title. I got bumped into the "gets an annual bonus" tier and got a 9% pay bump. The raise doesn't take effect until April, so a celebratory wagyu steak will have to wait until then  :metal

Fantastic news! Congrats!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #578 on: February 13, 2021, 03:48:03 PM »
So I figured I would come back out of hiding for a post or two...my scarcity around here is very directly due to my job, which has been kicking my ass in ways I never even thought possible.  It's perhaps a little more than I realized I signed up for, likely the second-most demanding position in the company (after my boss, who is president & COO).  I've found that I have to be a different version of myself in this job, in a way.  In my previous role(s), my dominant mode was "this is stupid, why are we doing it this way", whether it was something technical, strategic, or organizational.  But here, it's both much more wide-open structurally, and I just understand so much less.  My old gig was sort of like swimming...water is the resistance, but it's also how you propel yourself forward; there is no progress without the resistance.  But what I have to do no is probably more akin to flying...more freedom, more risk, fewer confinements, and much less to push against.  It's actually been kind of exhausting, and probably will be for the foreseeable future..but at least I feel like I'm getting my footing and earning my keep a bit now.

So here is something I've seen in 4-5 interview presentations recently, and it annoys me to no end.  People are spending the first half (or more!) of their presentation time either walking the audience through their CV (in powerpoint version), and/or treating as a "get to know me" with things like pictures of their favorite vacation spots and their pets.  But really, I have your CV right  in front of me and I DON"T FUCKING CARE ABOUT YOU DOGS DURING THE JOB INTERVIEW!!!  You have 30 minutes for the presentation and Q&A, of course losing a few minutes to a late start, and you choose to spend that time not on showing us your communication skills or bringing some aspect of your experience to life, but on pictures OF THE FUCKING OCEAN?!  It hasn't been a dealbreaker on otherwise good candidates, but it has caused some eye-rolls and it has raised questions about whether they really get how to prioritize.  Given how much we've seen, it must be some new trend on interviewing advice...but it's terrible.

And great news, Chino & Tick!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #579 on: February 23, 2021, 07:12:15 PM »
I don't know where else to post this, but a quick bit of venting on how hard it is to hire funeral directors.

Start with the fact that there are a finite number of licensed funeral directors in PA, and that currently it's generally understood that finite number is slightly below desirable.

Then take out the many people whose last name match the last name of the funeral home they work at. A huge number in the industry.

Then take out those people who wouldn't work at a corporate funeral home, even if it was in their best interest. (Not that I fault them, necessarily)

And you're left with ridiculous slim pickings and a painful recruiting process. I've had a job posted for a month, have tried several angles of recruiting (although I'm heavily handicapped by having to work through HR on everything), and have not had a single candidate apply yet.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: February 24, 2021, 08:35:06 AM »
We are starting to go through resumes for hiring someone in Amsterdam.  I don't know if it's a European thing or a new trend, similar to Millahh, but I keep seeing resumes talking about personal interests and hobbies.  Why is that on a resume? I don't care! Some of these are just so poorly written or organized. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #581 on: February 24, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »
I always have a section on my resume for interests or hobbies. For one thing, it demonstrates I'm not a loner. If I'm willing to maintain relationships with groups outside of my immediate circle of friends, perhaps it indicates that I'll fit in easily with my coworkers. It shows I have experience working with people across many disciplines and backgrounds. Also, at least with the hobbies I do, it further demonstrates what kind of thinker I am. Sure, I may not have known how to model the expected five year losses for explosions following earthquakes when I applied, but I showed that I clearly have critical thinking and problem solving abilities that could be applied to job related stuff.   

People like to work with people they get along with. When I got my current job, I had on my resume that in my free time I enjoyed building and racing RC vehicles. The guy that ended up being my boss had a son who had recently taken interest in the hobby. The last ten minutes of my interview as well as the walk back to the parking garage was all radio control talk. While the hobby had zero to do with the job, it triggered a conversation that allowed the guy hiring to actually see who I was as a person. It wasn't some pre-rehearsed response to a generic question or me making up some scenario at my current job that never actually happened. Just two people shooting the shit and figuring out what types of people each were. I left that conversation thinking "that guy seems like he'd be cool to work with", and I think he thought the same. I got hired for a job I had no experience with in an industry I was clueless about.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #582 on: February 24, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »
I don't know where else to post this, but a quick bit of venting on how hard it is to hire funeral directors.

Start with the fact that there are a finite number of licensed funeral directors in PA, and that currently it's generally understood that finite number is slightly below desirable.

Then take out the many people whose last name match the last name of the funeral home they work at. A huge number in the industry.

Then take out those people who wouldn't work at a corporate funeral home, even if it was in their best interest. (Not that I fault them, necessarily)

And you're left with ridiculous slim pickings and a painful recruiting process. I've had a job posted for a month, have tried several angles of recruiting (although I'm heavily handicapped by having to work through HR on everything), and have not had a single candidate apply yet.

What's a funeral director typically make if they don't own their own home?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #583 on: February 24, 2021, 08:54:54 AM »
We are starting to go through resumes for hiring someone in Amsterdam.  I don't know if it's a European thing or a new trend, similar to Millahh, but I keep seeing resumes talking about personal interests and hobbies.  Why is that on a resume? I don't care! Some of these are just so poorly written or organized. 

I thought that was common, depending on the job you are going for. When I was in college I remember my career advisor saying that "Employers like to see you have other interests outside of your career". I personally don't include hobbies anymore, but I used to right after college.

@Nick: where are you posting the job? I know certain positions are harder to fill than others but not having a single applicant seems extreme. Maybe the job description itself is scaring candidates away?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #584 on: February 24, 2021, 09:12:14 AM »

As a Dutch person, that is normal and usually encouraged. Many workplaces want a colleague that fits in the team. And I know for a fact that the team at my workplace pays attention to it, because during my first workdays I got questions about some of my leisure activities/hobbies, as they reffered to my resume. At many workfloors, HR makes a selection, after which people on the workfloor get the resume. And since those are the people spending time with you for like 40 hours a week, it can be of influence. Furthermore, there are hobbies that indicate traits, skills, or life experience that might be useful (while not being relevant working experience per se). Though the latter usually only really applies to more involved hobbies (high level sports, being a referee, coaching a team, organising local events, or performing, for example).

Poorly worded or organised, however, is not something culturally normal in The Netherlands, at least I hope.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: February 24, 2021, 09:18:15 AM »
I can see it for coming out of college without much work experience to fill up a resume, but honestly, my coworkers and I laugh at it  :lol we need someone competent, don't give one iota about what you do on your free time.  That stuff you'll learn as you get to know someone either in the interview process or once you've been hired.  Just my thoughts.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #586 on: February 24, 2021, 10:25:33 AM »

I wouldn't mind it on a resume. It gives a better overall view of a person outside of what they simply do at work.

What's a funeral director typically make if they don't own their own home?

That's a really tough question, as there is a huge variance between certain states, even within states such as mine (PA), and can vary greatly again based on experience and if it's hourly or salary. Speaking for the area I'm in I'd say the overall annual gross is 35k-90k, but I'd say the majority probably fall more in the 60-85k range.

@Nick: where are you posting the job? I know certain positions are harder to fill than others but not having a single applicant seems extreme. Maybe the job description itself is scaring candidates away?

Part of the problem is everything goes through HR and whatever speed they work and do things for me. They typically use Indeed, and after a few days I asked them if they could spread and so they put on CareerBuilder. Then I specifically asked them to put it on LinkedIn. My alma matter now uses handshake, so I tried to get an account there, but of course my company was already on there so now I'm waiting on some approval to do anything for that.

What I thought would be a genius move this time around has also not worked out. We are a combo unit (funeral home and cemetery in same location), and plenty of other funeral homes come to bury at the cemetery. So I made up a big 24x36" inch sign with Vista Print advertising we were hiring a funeral director and placed it at the entrance, so that every procession coming in would see it. Hasn't generated a single call or anyone stopping in to inquire.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: February 24, 2021, 11:01:19 AM »
I can see it for coming out of college without much work experience to fill up a resume, but honestly, my coworkers and I laugh at it  :lol we need someone competent, don't give one iota about what you do on your free time.  That stuff you'll learn as you get to know someone either in the interview process or once you've been hired.  Just my thoughts.

You wouldn't look again at a resume that came in and said "Loves weed, Iron Maiden, traveling, and kicks ass at Call Of Duty"?  :) :) :)

I'm kidding; I'm with you.  I don't give a rat's ass what someone does on the down time.  Do your work when you're on the clock.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #588 on: February 24, 2021, 11:15:13 AM »
Resumes and interviews have changed so much over the years.  When I first hit the job market in the late 80's, it was a one-page resume and either a second page with three references or "references available upon request".  Later, the idea seemed to be to give your entire life story; five or six pages.  Then we apparently trimmed way back and the one-pager was back and no one cared about your references.  My sister is the HR director where she works and she confirms this; it's changed a lot over time, and it's different in various places geographically, and different depending on the field you're trying to get a job in.  So what do you do?  Hell if I know.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: February 24, 2021, 11:26:49 AM »

You wouldn't look again at a resume that came in and said "Loves weed, Iron Maiden, traveling, and kicks ass at Call Of Duty"?  :) :) :)

I'm kidding; I'm with you.  I don't give a rat's ass what someone does on the down time.  Do your work when you're on the clock.

:lol my thought is, I will find out more about you through interviews and while I haven't interviewed someone in awhile, I typically will ask about life outside work to just get to know the person.  I just don't need it on a resume, it tells me nothing about what I need to know to get you in the door.  In fact, for me, it might be more negative because if you aren't listing out your work skills very well, but will list your hobbies.  You're out IMO. If everything else on the resume is solid, I wouldn't hold it back, so I see it as only something that can hurt you.  No one's going to hire you because your interests outside of work are interesting and/or something I can relate to. 

Maybe part of this is because the person we need to hire needs to be able to hit the ground running and will be working solo so needs to be able to handle their work load on their own so we are being super picky and we aren't going to settle.  So I've been really ripping through the resumes that make it to me.  Hiring in Europe is tough because you can't really fire them, so we can't make a mistake here. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #590 on: February 24, 2021, 12:30:58 PM »
Resumes and interviews have changed so much over the years.  When I first hit the job market in the late 80's, it was a one-page resume and either a second page with three references or "references available upon request".  Later, the idea seemed to be to give your entire life story; five or six pages.  Then we apparently trimmed way back and the one-pager was back and no one cared about your references.  My sister is the HR director where she works and she confirms this; it's changed a lot over time, and it's different in various places geographically, and different depending on the field you're trying to get a job in.  So what do you do?  Hell if I know.

To me, it's all about if the length is justified. I've seen 1 page resumes that are great, and 4 page resumes worth their length. I've also seen 14 page resumes that couldn't be justified by the most qualified candidate for any particular position. I've also seen absolute trash of every length.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #591 on: February 24, 2021, 12:41:27 PM »
That too agrees with what my sister said.  "It depends."  Different people think different things are important, and that goes for the interviewer as well as the interviewee.  I can see someone looking at a 14-page resume and going "I'm not reading through this shit" but then seeing something on the first page that catches their attention, they dig deeper, and realize that it's 14 pages of solid history.  I can also see someone just tossing it.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #592 on: February 26, 2021, 08:30:13 AM »

I'll clarify my rant slightly :)

My issue was with people having fluff or absurd redundancy in a presentation.  That is not only a time-bound environment, where every minute you spend on fluff is one less minute you have to show the team what you have to offer...it also wastes the team's time. If it's a cultural norm to put a couple of lines at the end of a resume/CV, that's fine, whatever, it's the presentations where I take an issue with it.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #593 on: February 26, 2021, 09:30:40 AM »
So here is a fun story.

I mentioned how I had no applications for the position I have open, but now I do have one, with a twist.

Guy reaches out to me before the position was even open, sent me his resume, and so when I knew a position was opening, but before the official listing went live I had him in for an interview. Interview went okay, and I followed up a few days later when the job listing was live and told him if he had interest to formally continue that applying would be the next step. Yesterday he applied and emailed me to let me know. This is 3-4 weeks after our interview.

Here's the fun part, when we were talking he told me he left his old job due to certain things he was unhappy about there, details aren't really important. But I heard from two different people the real story. Guy got canned because a family wanted fingerprints from their loved one and he took his own fingerprints and passed them off to the family. This was found out because the family ended up realizing that at the time he took the prints the body was actually still at the medical examiner's office.

Look, I know no one wants to face a mistake like that, but if you're honest and sincere about it there is at least a chance I'll continue a dialog and consider you moving forward. But compounding that with lying at the interview there is now absolutely no chance I would hire.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: February 26, 2021, 10:58:06 AM »
Geeze, that's pretty fucked up too.  Like why even do that instead of just waiting until he has the body?

Honesty is really important IMO.  Finding some lie like that would immediately turn me off from someone.