Author Topic: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts  (Read 73598 times)

Offline Ocean Machine

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 09:11:47 AM »
When asked to name your biggest weakness:
DO - Name something that, while a weakness, shows your work ethic, i.e. "I tend to focus so much on the details that I can sometimes be distracted from the big picture..."
DON'T - Run down a list of every plausible way that you have failed in the past, thereby giving the interviewer no reason at all to believe you could even tie your own shoes and brush your teeth in the morning without maiming yourself.

I've actually had the opposite experience with this Most recruiters want a REAL weakness on the first. For example, I usually say that when lots of work piles up it can get overwhelming for me, but all you can do is prioritize and start going at it in order of priority. I've also been asked to name a time I've failed and been complimented for my maturity when I've been honest about it, because many people won't do this in interviews.
"What in the HELL does Total Mass Retain even mean?!"

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 09:18:10 AM »
You basically approached it the same way I said. You say you can get overwhelmed, but you also present a method you utilize to handle the load. You don't sit there and list failng after failing.

Homer Simpson's initial interview at the nuclear power plant comes to mind...
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 09:18:14 AM »
When asked to name your biggest weakness:
DO - Name something that, while a weakness, shows your work ethic, i.e. "I tend to focus so much on the details that I can sometimes be distracted from the big picture..."
DON'T - Run down a list of every plausible way that you have failed in the past, thereby giving the interviewer no reason at all to believe you could even tie your own shoes and brush your teeth in the morning without maiming yourself.

Even worse DON'T:

DON'T: Name things that only superficially sound like a bad thing, but are in fact a backhanded compliment to yourself. A la "My biggest problem is that I'm always operating at 150%. I just can't stop."

---------

DO: Actually have done the stuff you put on your resume. I've had candidates, mostly through recruiting agencies, who had put the classic alphabet soup on their resume (XML, SQL, XLST, WTFBBQ etc.), and then when you ask a specific question, they can't answer anything. This also ties into the next one:

DON'T: Try to bullshit your way in. At least for me, I get into "sniff dog" mode when a candidate comes in, and I get an allergic reaction whenever I detect bullshitting. The candidates I have given the green light were the ones that said "You know what, even though I kinda know the broad idea of what you just asked me, I never worked on it, so I can't give you much detail.". That's honest, and it show that in a meeting you will shut up and listen when you don't know something.

DO: Show that you were interested in what other people do at your old job. Nothing worse than somebody who got so entrenched in his own work that he is unable to put his work into the big picture of the company he worked for. Because those are the ones that, after a week, you have to say to: "dude, you worked the whole week on this crap? You didn't think once switching to the other thing that is equally important?"

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 10:05:14 AM »
DO:  Send a thank you note in the mail (not via email) to the interviewer

Cover Letters: keep em short and simple. 
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »

Disagree. What age do we live in? The 70s?

I have recently gotten a mailed thank-you letter from a candidate. It caused great amusement in our group, and it made him look desperate.
An email is perfectly fine and enough.

rumborak

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 10:20:32 AM »
It worked for me at getting a job once.  Obviously it depends on where you are interviewing.  I think it adds a nice personal touch.

Also for the guys DO dress up, with at least a tie
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 10:40:04 AM »

Disagree. What age do we live in? The 70s?

I have recently gotten a mailed thank-you letter from a candidate. It caused great amusement in our group, and it made him look desperate.
An email is perfectly fine and enough.

rumborak

This is something where I was hoping to see people chime in.  I certainly wasn't bothered by having gotten an email instead of a snail mail...I just wasn't sure what the standard was these days.  Of course, it'll vary by industry...I can certainly see why a computer engineer would laugh at a letter.

What I don't get is why some people who are obviously desperate don't send the thanks-you's.  Unless maybe they only send them to the directors, and not to everybody?  The problem with doing that is that the directors listen to what the rest of us have to say...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47:55 AM »
This is a reformatted example of our evaluation form.  it gives a pretty good indication of what we (and most employers) are thinking about.  We rate from 0-4 as follows.

Trait   
Unsatisfactory (0)   
Some Deficiencies Evident (1)
Satisfactory (2)
Exceptional (3)   
Clearly Outstanding 4)   

Breadth and depth of technical knowledge in the field   
-No knowledge evident.   
-Less than we would prefer.   
-Meets our requirements for hiring.   
-Exceeds our expectations of average candidate.   
-Thoroughly versed in job and very strong in associated areas.   

Breadth and depth of knowledge of drug development   
-No knowledge evident.   
-Less than we would prefer.   
-Meets our requirements for hiring.   
-Exceeds our expectations of average candidate.   
-Thoroughly versed in job and very strong in associated areas.

Experience   
-None for this job nor any related experience.   
-Would prefer more for this job.   
-Adequate for job applied for.   
-More than adequate.  Has some experience in related areas.   
-Totally experienced in job.  Has strong experience in related areas.

Communication ability   
-Could not communicate.  Will be severely impaired in most jobs.   
-Some difficulties.  Will detract from job performance.   
-Sufficient for adequate job performance.   
-More than sufficient for job.   
-Outstanding ability to communicate.   

Interest in position and our organization.   
-Showed no interest.   
-Some lack of interest.   
-Appeared genuinely interested.   
-Very interested.  Seems to prefer type of work applied for.   
-Totally absorbed with job content.  Conveys feeling only this job will do.   

Overall motivation to succeed   
-None exhibited.  No concern for personal future.   
-Not up to average levels.  Shows little desire to succeed.   
-Average desire to succeed.   
-Highly motivated.  Wants to succeed and advance.   
-Extremely motivated.  Has very strong compulsion to succeed.

Appearance and habits.  (Consider the position applied for while evaluating)   
-Very sloppy in appearance or unacceptably dressed; or unacceptable personal habits.   
-Dress or grooming less than satisfactory; or some offensive personal habits.   
-Properly dressed and groomed.  Few poor personal habits.   
-Very well dressed and groomed.  No offensive habits.   
-Presented excellent appearance, maintained high level of behavior throughout interview.   
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 11:25:39 AM »
What we do for our interviewing process is that we assign general areas of topics to the different interviewers. E.g. I would grill them about programming, somebody else would grill them about machine learning theory etc. Then we all get together at the end of the day and put in a vote.

rumborak

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 11:25:47 AM »
I have a degree, but it's never in the right field. 
This seems odd to me, but I don't know if things just work differently here. In the UK, there are very few jobs that require specific degrees, and they tend to be very highly technical fields like law and medicine (or continuing research/academia in the particular subject, obviously). Pretty much all other graduate jobs just require you to have a degree, preferably in something generally related or similar, but even then that's rarely required if you can demonstrate relevant skills. For example, most jobs in finance and business prefer you to have a numerical degree, but if you can show that you are competent at the basics of mathematics, then the degree subject is not important.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 11:28:21 AM »
What we do for our interviewing process is that we assign general areas of topics to the different interviewers. E.g. I would grill them about programming, somebody else would grill them about machine learning theory etc. Then we all get together at the end of the day and put in a vote.

rumborak

I would be the person assigned to asking them how many beers they're able to pound at happy hour, then.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 08:00:39 AM »
I have a degree, but it's never in the right field. 
This seems odd to me, but I don't know if things just work differently here. In the UK, there are very few jobs that require specific degrees, and they tend to be very highly technical fields like law and medicine (or continuing research/academia in the particular subject, obviously). Pretty much all other graduate jobs just require you to have a degree, preferably in something generally related or similar, but even then that's rarely required if you can demonstrate relevant skills. For example, most jobs in finance and business prefer you to have a numerical degree, but if you can show that you are competent at the basics of mathematics, then the degree subject is not important.

Agreed...unless you're in a technical field, once you're a couple of years out of college, all that matters is that you have a degree...not what it's in.  At that point, having it is simply a demonstration that you've got what it takes to get a degree (a basic level of intellect, ability to get things done without someone looking over your shoulder every second of every day, etc.).

Here's another one I just thought of, and have also seen:
-If the person has a title, get it right.  I received an email from a candidate addressed to "Mr. millahh", rather than "Dr. millahh".  I'm not bothered that I wasn't addressed as "doctor" ("I didn't spend five years in evil graduate school to be called "mister", thank you very much.").  Rather, that mistake shows a lack of attention to detail...and a detail that some people might be touchy about.  And if you aren't paying attention to details in a situation as critical as a job hunt, why should anyone expect that you'll suddenly be detail-oriented once you actually get the job?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 08:45:26 AM »
the org I work for is using the STAR format(gotta love HR and their accronyms)
S-situation
T-task
A-action
R-results

all the responses need to come in that format.
what was the situation, what was your task or job, what action did you personaly take, what were the results of the action you took. Come to the interview with good and bad examples.
I interviewed at Target a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure they use the same exact format.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »
HR are always coming up with new shit in their hope of justifying the usually bad job they do.

rumborak

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2009, 01:21:11 PM »
So my latest source of aggravation whilst applying for jobs:

I can't stand these online application things.  There's a spot for you to upload your resume but then they still want you to fill out the online application...and all the questions that are asked have answers that can be found on the resume (work history, education, etc). 

So why do I need to fill this fucking thing out?

It's not so much that I mind doing it, but why do you want me to upload my resume in the first place?

But the absolute most aggravating thing is when you upload your resume and it automatically "plugs in" all of the information to the online application.

The problem is that with pretty much every job I've ever had I've held at least two different positions, with two different sets of dates, two different pay rates, etc., and the online application table always gets all fucked up. 

So I just spent the last hour editing the fucking online application only to have it tell me that it fucking "timed out" and booted me out of the fucking system.

Now, I can't seem to find the original job that I was applying for.  I don't understand why it "timed out."  It's not like I walked away for half an hour and left it up.

I FUCKING HATE JOB SEARCHING.  WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO FUCKING DIFFICULT?!?!?!?!?!
ASDSAFKJ;SADFLJDSFJKDSFLIDFLSDFA;SLDFJSDFLKAJSDFA'LJVDNVADSFASEREWPRIFIASDF'FKJSDAF'SDFJ
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2009, 01:30:36 PM »
HR are always coming up with new shit in their hope of justifying the usually bad job they do.

rumborak

Well stated sir.  In my field, cooking, interviews usually last about five minutes, but the real deal is the tryout.  Usually, your given three hour to do an appetizer, a fish, and a meat dish.  Then the executive chef and the GM eat and critique it.  Very Iron Chef/Top Chef like.  Have a bad day on that day in the kitchen and you are still unemployed.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »
I absolutely agree with you on that online job search thing.

The thing is though, the reason for this double-entry thing is so that they can do a text search on their applicant database for certain qualifications. Then, when they found someone they will actually look at the uploaded resume in more detail. It's totally annoying though, I agree.

rumborak

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2009, 03:13:44 PM »
I absolutely agree with you on that online job search thing.

The thing is though, the reason for this double-entry thing is so that they can do a text search on their applicant database for certain qualifications. Then, when they found someone they will actually look at the uploaded resume in more detail. It's totally annoying though, I agree.

rumborak

A keyword search of the uploaded resumes should be able to render all but a very basic application unnecessary...

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »
I used search and found this thread so I'll post it here. I have an interview with the Hilton Hotel tomorrow!! It's at 2 o'clock and I think I'm ready :D

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2010, 09:14:27 PM »
I used search and found this thread so I'll post it here.
:clap: (and I'm completely sincere)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 09:33:41 PM »
I used search and found this thread so I'll post it here.
:clap: (and I'm completely sincere)
I know eh, I wouldn't have made a thread just for that if there weren't other threads for it either.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 09:42:15 PM »
Another thing I absolutely HATE about interviews:

I hate the question, "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

How do I answer that without sounding cheesy and fake?  

Because what I'd really like to say is, "Well actually, I see myself filing for bankruptcy if I don't get a fucking job soon, thanks for asking."

But really, what kind of answer is an interviewer looking for?  Because I hardly think, "I'd like to be really rich and traveling the world" is appropriate.  I feel like it just sounds too flighty.  And the thing is, I don't really have any career ambitions.  The one thing I always really wanted to do quickly went to the wayside after I got out of college and realized what a shitty industry it is (radio).  And I don't want to be like "Oh yeah if you hire me today, I'd like to be CEO within five years."

And speaking of radio industry...most of my early work experience was at various radio stations, and that's the only experience any employers seem to focus on...and then I have to explain why exactly I got out of the industry.  And somehow, "Because I wasn't willing to move far away to some crap-ass city to work weekend overnight air shifts for the next several years" doesn't seem right either.  

What the hell.  
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 09:43:15 PM »
I have a question for you all.

I'm 19 and I need a job to help my parents pay for college.  At the moment I'm just hitting up fast food places and small markets looking for a small parttime job.

Unfortunately, I have no work experience.

When asked about work experience either on the application or in person, what is the best thing to say?

It seems that a person with no work experience is almost instantly disqualified.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »
On a semi-related subject, funny comments that appeared in actual employee reviews...
Since my last report, this employee has reached rock bottom and has started to dig."

"His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of morbid curiosity."

"I would not allow this employee to breed."

"This employee is really not so much of a 'has been', but more of a definite 'wont be'."

"Works well under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a trap."

"When she opens her mouth, it seems that it is only to change feet."

"He would be out of his depth in a parking lot puddle."

"This young lady has delusions of adequacy."

"He sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them."

"This employee is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot."

"This employee should go far, and the sooner he starts, the better."

"Got a full 6 pack, but lacks the plastic thing to hold it all together."

"A gross ignoramus - 144 times worse than an ordinary ignoramus."

"He certainly takes a long time to make his pointless."

"He doesn't have ulcers, but he's a carrier."

"I would like to go hunting with him sometime."

"He's been working with glue too much."

"He would argue with a signpost."

"He has a knack for making strangers immediately."

"He brings a lot of joy whenever he leaves the room."

"When his IQ reaches 50, he should sell."

"If you see two people talking and one looks bored, he's the other one."

"A photographic memory but with the lens cover glued on."

"A prime candidate for natural deselection."

"Donated his brain to science before he was done using it."

"Gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isnt coming."

"Has two brains: One is lost and the other is out looking for it."

"If he were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice a week."

"If you gave him a penny for his thoughts, you'd get change."

"If you stand close enough to him, you can hear the oceans."

"Its hard to believe that he beat 1,000,000 other sperm to the egg."

"One neuron short of a synapse."

"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge, he only gargled."

"Takes him 2 hours to watch 60 minutes."

"The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead."

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 10:37:45 PM »
Lonestar those are great  :lol :rollin :lol
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2010, 12:16:49 AM »
 :lol

I apologize for all the quoting that's about to happen. Somehow I missed this thread until now...

Also, what's the story behind the AOL e-mail address? Why does it matter?

Using AOL indicates basic computer illiteracy. If you're interviewing for a job working in technology, your employers don't want such a drastic indicator of incompetence with it. At least, that's what I'd guess.

You mean erotomaniac9@aol.com won't get me a job?  :sadpanda:

It's staggering how many people can't seem to admit they don't know the answer to questions.

Very true. I think you come off worse if you try to pretend you know everything. I am getting pretty good at being honest about not knowing things. It's especially easy now since I'm an intern and learning; everyone knows this and expects me to ask questions, etc. I said "I don't know" to one of my patients a few weeks ago (an old woman with dementia on hospice) and she snapped at me, saying "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!"... then her face changed and she said "I'm sorry, I'm a little angry." :lol
My supervisor said "I don't know" is the best answer you can give sometimes. When dealing with people in a professional way, sometimes it helps to say "But I could find out..."

And while I'm at it:

How long should I wait before getting a response?  A week?  Two weeks?  And how long should I wait before sending a follow up email to ask if I'm still in consideration?

I don't want to badger people and be a pain in the ass, but I also would like to know where I stand and if I should keep wasting my time checking on the status of my application.

Here, my first piece of advice would be to ask at the interview approximately when you should expect to hear back from them. That way, if they don't get back to you by then you won't be annoying if you contact them, you'll just seem like you care, which is a good thing.

Shoes Shoes Shoes.....its amazing how many people look at shoes first. Nice shoes. Polished or buffed.

This isn't totally true because my shoes suck but I've done quite well in interviews :p

-Seeming unqualified:  If you have a diverse work background, use it to your advantage...it can illustrate adaptability and that you're a quick/enthusiatic learner.

Absolutely. You can make almost anything applicable. I put a goddamn liquor store job on my resume while looking for social work internships and was told by the people at one of the hospitals that they really liked the fact that I put that on my resume and applied it to the field. You can find a way to work it. Working in a liquor store helped with my people skills, but mainly exposed me to all types of people with all types of issues and further inspired me to go into the helping professions because of the stuff I encountered (alcoholic customers, depression, coworkers going through domestic violence and girlfriend's lethal drug overdoses, etc.). I put this eloquently on my resume because I had very little direct social work-related experience and people liked it.

You're under no obligation to disclose that it was a family business...unless they outright ask, in which case, you don't want to lie.  I don't think many people would assume that working for the family business is a cake job.  In fact, I think many family businnesses push people harder, as there's the sense of family obligation along with the usual employee responsibilities.

The only slight complication I could see is when it comes to references...if it specifies no family members, that could be complicated.  In which case, I would simply ask the relevant HR person how they want you to approach it, since your boss was a family member.

Sounds like you should have an ass-kicking resume.
:tup

I've also been asked to name a time I've failed and been complimented for my maturity when I've been honest about it, because many people won't do this in interviews.

Definitely. I try to be as honest as possible without making myself look too terrible.

"Where do you see yourself in five years?"

How do I answer that without sounding cheesy and fake?  

I think being honest without sounding like a complete pessimist works. I usually say I have no idea  :lol
There's nothing wrong with that IMO. I think some people might see it as not being driven/committed enough or whatever, but some people might also see it as being flexible. Because I don't know what opportunities will present themselves to me in the next five years, and I'm willing to go with the flow.

I have a question for you all.

I'm 19 and I need a job to help my parents pay for college.  At the moment I'm just hitting up fast food places and small markets looking for a small parttime job.

Unfortunately, I have no work experience.

When asked about work experience either on the application or in person, what is the best thing to say?

It seems that a person with no work experience is almost instantly disqualified.

I think it depends on the job, but maybe talking about relevant qualities you have would help... or use your experience in school? I think just being honest and saying you have no experience but you need to get it somewhere might work. As long as you can show you have the motivation/work ethic and ability/willingness to learn. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I think presenting yourself as a person with desirable qualities might help. For fast food and those kind of jobs, I don't think most places are expecting a lot of experience. Because usually the duties are pretty simple and can be taken care of with a little bit of training, like learning how to work a cash register which is pretty friggin' easy usually. They're not expecting people with a shitload of experience and it's not going to be an inconvenience for them to train you because every register is different and every company is different, so people are going to need to be trained regardless of the amount of experience they have. I've worked 4 retail-type jobs and each register, etc. was completely different so I had to be re-trained every time.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2010, 07:20:31 AM »
"Where do you see yourself in five years?"
Stupid question. Anyone with interview training would know not to ask this question. I've always answered that questions sincerely and I've done fine with it and been offered most of the jobs I've interviewed for over the years. Here's basically what I say:

"That's really a tough question. My career to this point has gone in directions that I never could have predicted five years ago, so it's difficult to predict that now. What I hope is that I can start working for a successful company, work hard and do well at my job and learn as much as I can. Hopefully that will yield more opportunities in the future at that company."

Unless you really do have specific goals, it's best to just redirect the question to what you plan to do for the company now and be vague, but optimistic about the future.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »
 :tup

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2010, 08:49:22 AM »
5 years is easy for me, i want to be a management level engineer, and am senior level now, so it's no brainer.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2010, 09:23:47 AM »
What I hated after interviews was when I didn't get the job, they sent me my resume and stuff back - with no explanation at all why I didn't get the job. Would have been nice to know for future interviews.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
Well, next time just ask!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »
There won't be a next time. Having a lifetime job now.  :hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »

Bizarre, we had a discussion about that very question, and I was too of the opinion that it is a useless question. The only interesting answers are the stupid ones, e.g. one candidate we had who said "Yeah, I'm not sure. I actually wanted to go back to college, and I still might, but I figured I'd apply for a regular job in the meantime too".

rumborak

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/interview_questions

DON'T:  Freely talk about how you don't really have any career ambition.

DON'T:  Stand between your audience and your slides, when there's another place you could have stood just as easily.

DON'T:  Talk about how you had to pull everything together for your interview seminar at the last moment.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »
When they say "Tell me about yourself" what is the starting point? I have no idea what they want to know.

"Why should we hire you?" is another dumb one. It's almost impossible to answer that without sounding smug.