Author Topic: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts  (Read 73458 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
Do you guys think it's improper form to email my HR contact this week to ask if there's a probation period before I can use vacation days, as I have a vacation in July that was booked and paid for before this job opportunity came up?
Photobucket sucks.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2013, 09:05:20 AM »
Do you guys think it's improper form to email my HR contact this week to ask if there's a probation period before I can use vacation days, as I have a vacation in July that was booked and paid for before this job opportunity came up?

Absolutely not. Just word it professionally.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2013, 09:24:16 AM »
When do you start?  If it's soon, I might wait until the first day, when you'll be going over policies and whatnot.  If it's further out, then ask.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
When do you start?  If it's soon, I might wait until the first day, when you'll be going over policies and whatnot.  If it's further out, then ask.

I start next Monday, the 8th.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »

I start next Monday, the 8th.

I would say wait until then, unless there's a compelling reason to ask in the next four days.

Also, might be preferable to put out a feeler with your boss, rather than HR.  There may be "informal" ways to bend the rules that your boss can use, but about which HR would invariably say "no" because it's not official policy.  Depends on what your read on the boss is, though.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2013, 09:16:56 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't meet my actual boss when I interviewed. The main portion of my interview was with a couple of my soon to be colleagues, and I spoke to the group manager on the phone for about 10-15 minutes afterwards. I just worry that already asking about taking time off right when I get there will create a poor first impression.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't meet my actual boss when I interviewed. The main portion of my interview was with a couple of my soon to be colleagues, and I spoke to the group manager on the phone for about 10-15 minutes afterwards. I just worry that already asking about taking time off right when I get there will create a poor first impression.

You can frame it like this:

"I need to ask a question for clarity regarding vacation policy.  I've had travel plans scheduled for a week in July since before I interviewed for this position.  If the policy doesn't allow taking time off so soon after my start date, I'd like to let my travel companions know so they can adjust their plans accordingly."

This paints you as responsible, considerate, respectful of all involved and have your priorities in the right place.  This is the opposite of coming off as lazy/entitled, and may even contribute to you getting the flexibility you'd like.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2013, 07:17:07 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll hold off on bringing this up until my first week.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »

You can frame it like this:

"I need to ask a question for clarity regarding vacation policy.  I've had travel plans scheduled for a week in July since before I interviewed for this position.  If the policy doesn't allow taking time off so soon after my start date, I'd like to let my travel companions know so they can adjust their plans accordingly."

This paints you as responsible, considerate, respectful of all involved and have your priorities in the right place.  This is the opposite of coming off as lazy/entitled, and may even contribute to you getting the flexibility you'd like.

+1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2013, 08:03:31 PM »
Ideally it would have been raised during the negotiation process.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2013, 10:27:45 PM »
One other question. I'm 95% sure the dress code is business casual (and will confirm this with HR later this week). Should I still wear a full suit on my first day, or is that a bit much?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2013, 10:35:55 PM »
Do you know anybody in the company you can ask? Every company is different about it. At my job you'd get laughed at, that's for sure :lol

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2013, 11:38:56 PM »
One other question. I'm 95% sure the dress code is business casual (and will confirm this with HR later this week). Should I still wear a full suit on my first day, or is that a bit much?

You'll be fine with business casual as long as your clothes are clean, neat, and fit well.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2013, 09:46:08 PM »
Ask about where the company sees itself in a few years, or ask about the history or a typical day in the life of an employee. Something to show your interest in the company and the position.
Would you consider asking about advancement potential a good question?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »
Ask about where the company sees itself in a few years, or ask about the history or a typical day in the life of an employee. Something to show your interest in the company and the position.
Would you consider asking about advancement potential a good question?
I've usually asked those types of question because I legitimately care about the answer.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2013, 12:49:23 PM »
"Advancement" is maybe not the best word to use, to me it sounds you're already looking to be in the next higher position than the one you're applying for. "Growth" is a better one IMHO.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2013, 02:40:26 PM »
"Advancement" is maybe not the best word to use, to me it sounds you're already looking to be in the next higher position than the one you're applying for. "Growth" is a better one IMHO.

I'd agree..."advancement" is a tricky word, and could be construed as being more intersted in getting your foot in the door than with the position itself.  We've got one of those now, and she is rapidly closing the door on her future potential precisely because she treated the position she hired onto as a "foot in the door".

It'a slmost a shame...our recent interviewees have all been functional human beings, so I don't have any more stories.  However, in leiu of that, here is a children's treasury of awkward interview stories (in the comments):
https://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/04/12/what_is_the_most_bizarre_job_interview_you_have_ever_been_party_to.html

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »
Yuck, my workplace is right now in the process of imploding. My boss left a while ago for Amazon, and soon a close coworker will do so too. And I know of two other guys who were at Amazon interviewing (I could have joined them too, but it struck as a all-work-no-life kinda job), and knowing what kind of money they throw at people ($155k for a bachelor in EE with a few years of experience? WTF?) I am assuming those two guys will go there too.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »
Reviving an old thread. Went to an interview today, I hope I get the job. It's a company that makes professional audio software, which I'm quite excited about. It would mean losing some quirks that I have at my current job, but it would also be a nice change of work location (actually, much better) and a different field (no more speech recognition).

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2014, 05:41:19 PM »
Very nice!  I use and teach audio software for a living more or less.  Best of luck to you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »
I've got to say, I am blown away how many people email me about a job using their girlfriend's email.  You know they are looking on their phones so set up a damn email account with your name.  Crazy.  It puts me off right away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2014, 07:58:51 PM »
Wow, that seems like it would be a very basic first step.  If you don't have one already, set up an email account -- with a name that is not stupid, vulgar, or otherwise juvenile -- and use that to send resumes and cover letters.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2014, 08:00:55 PM »
Wait, what? They apply for a job with their gf's email address?
Would immediately end up in the junk pile for me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2014, 09:10:35 PM »
I've got to say, I am blown away how many people email me about a job using their girlfriend's email.  You know they are looking on their phones so set up a damn email account with your name.  Crazy.  It puts me off right away.

Wow, Ok let me start by saying, I just started a new job 2 months ago and the company I work for has a really intensive interview process and I ended up having to interview someone for our LA position.  I got an e-mail about 20 minutes before the interview and it was from an email address I didn't know, but it said the guy was going to be late for the interview.  Eventually he told me it was his girlfriend who sent the e-mail while I was doing the interview.  I was wondering how a ~30 year old American man didn't have his own way to email and he was applying for an IT position.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2014, 09:48:50 PM »
Just read through this whole thread.  Really good information, here, and it helps me learn as well since I'm taking a Business Communications class and we're on the topic of job interviewing and the information, itt, pretty much is what the text stated on the Do's and Don'ts.

I bookmarked this thread and hope that it helps me in the future when I got to go through with this process.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2014, 05:58:03 AM »

Exactly.  You would not believe how many 20 something kids use their Girlfriends email.  Common sense in our youth has gone right out the window.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »

Exactly.  You would not believe how many 20 something kids use their Girlfriends email.  Common sense in our youth has gone right out the window.

Just as bad.... using an email like SickSk8erH2O@Gmail.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2014, 07:29:40 AM »
Why would someone not use their own email? I have at least 3 to choose from.

And I don't have a girlfriend anyway. :lol :sadpanda:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2014, 08:12:17 AM »
Seriously, who doesn't have an email? How is that even possible?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »
Seriously, how does Blob not have a girlfriend? How is that even possible?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
Also a valid point.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2014, 09:00:11 AM »

Hm, maybe I should start interviewing for the position. But I swear, if they use their boyfriend's emails, they're not getting the job.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »
 :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »

Hm, maybe I should start interviewing for the position. But I swear, if they use their boyfriend's emails, they're not getting the job.

:lol   Maybe a dude wants somethin, somethin. 

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #174 on: May 08, 2014, 04:57:39 PM »
Good lord...I can't believe I started this thread four and a half years ago...