Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 146939 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #1365 on: December 14, 2021, 08:08:09 PM »
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway documentary (from the same person who made the Trick doc recently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os-F3DgjYis

Offline HOF

« Reply #1366 on: January 24, 2022, 09:58:03 AM »
New Rockonteurs podcast episode featuring Steve Hackett. It's a nice conversation that mostly touches on Steve's time with Genesis, though I have to say every time Steve appears on a podcast his audio is terrible! Still a good listen though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtqWmY_mZdY&list=PLAKOnfD9DsbevXaK5FiKqIBj9axbMqrWi&index=67

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1367 on: January 25, 2022, 04:06:03 PM »
Doug Helvering did "Mad Man Moon" today.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00oYnJ8YO1s

Great reaction video with a lot of the theory analysis that is his forte.  He's done a few Genesis songs, and he always seems genuinely impressed with Tony's unique songwriting.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1368 on: January 25, 2022, 04:28:59 PM »
Doug Helvering did "Mad Man Moon" today.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00oYnJ8YO1s

Great reaction video with a lot of the theory analysis that is his forte.  He's done a few Genesis songs, and he always seems genuinely impressed with Tony's unique songwriting.

Just watched that a bit earlier. I've now got the rest of the album playing because it's just so good. Trick and Wind are probably two of my favorite Genesis albums, definitely both as good as anything the band did with Peter Gabriel, IMO.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1369 on: January 26, 2022, 09:13:16 AM »
So I saw on "The Chase" that "Wuthering" actually means "windy".  So my favorite Genesis album is actually called "Wind and Windy"?   

(I always thought it was sort of the result of wind; that is, more like "wind blown".)

Offline HOF

« Reply #1370 on: January 26, 2022, 09:22:27 AM »
So I saw on "The Chase" that "Wuthering" actually means "windy".  So my favorite Genesis album is actually called "Wind and Windy"?   

(I always thought it was sort of the result of wind; that is, more like "wind blown".)

I always thought it was a reference to Wuthering Heights, and was mostly just about the romantic atmosphere of the music recalling that sort of a novel.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1371 on: January 26, 2022, 09:54:18 AM »

Just watched that a bit earlier. I've now got the rest of the album playing because it's just so good. Trick and Wind are probably two of my favorite Genesis albums, definitely both as good as anything the band did with Peter Gabriel, IMO.

-Marc.

Trick is easily my #1 Genesis album.

Ha!  I watched that last night.  For some reason, my mind kind of stayed in the context of the question, and I didn't think about W&W.  Jennings completely botched the final chase.

I always thought it was a reference to Wuthering Heights, and was mostly just about the romantic atmosphere of the music recalling that sort of a novel.

It is (and the titles of Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers and In That Quiet Earth are both taken from the last paragraph of the book).  The question on The Chase to which Stadler referred was something like, "In the novel Wuthering Heights, 'wuthering' means:  a. ___, b. ___, c. windy?" (I don't remember what the other two options were).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #1372 on: January 26, 2022, 10:06:02 AM »

It is (and the titles of Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers and In That Quiet Earth are both taken from the last paragraph of the book).  The question on The Chase to which Stadler referred was something like, "In the novel Wuthering Heights, 'wuthering' means:  a. ___, b. ___, c. windy?" (I don't remember what the other two options were).
[/quote]

Yeah, I got that. Just saying it’s probably all a play on words. The album evokes the notion of a windy autumn day and also evokes a romantic novel like Wuthering Heights.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1373 on: February 16, 2022, 09:48:42 PM »
Mike Rutherford's Smallcreep's Day is being reissued on CD on March 25th. I've never gotten to hear it before (I know I could probably find it on YouTube), so looking forward to this.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/mike-rutherfords-smallcreeps-day-to-get-cd-reissue-in-march

Looks like it may only be a UK release right now. Hopefully not too expensive to get a hold of over in the States.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1374 on: February 16, 2022, 11:55:07 PM »
I have a first vinyl pressing, found it somewhere for around 10€ a few years back. Very good album! Plus, Simon Phillips on drums!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1375 on: February 17, 2022, 09:41:07 AM »
From everything I've read, this is Mike's best solo album, and a good album in its own right, but has always been hard to find.  I don't remember now if I've ever heard it, but I know I don't have a copy, so this is good news.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1376 on: February 17, 2022, 12:47:01 PM »
it's a good record, and 1 I think I own on Vinyl. I may look to pick it up eventually.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: February 17, 2022, 01:16:31 PM »
One of the few Genesis related things I HAVEN'T heard.  I remember always seeing the vinyl in the import section, but it was wildly expensive (this is back in the 80's) and I was just getting into the main band at that time.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1378 on: February 17, 2022, 04:50:26 PM »
Splurged when I found a CD for a decent price and man, I honestly don't know why, but it is one of my favorite albums. I typically don't like music like that. I love Rutherford's work in Genesis but could never get into Mike + the Mechanics. His second solo album is...very strange.

Smallcreep's Day just hit all the right notes, both figuratively and literally. It's an odd concept about an odd book but it works so well.  :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1379 on: February 17, 2022, 06:58:18 PM »
I picked up Acting Very Strange a while back; I think I found it in the discount bin.  It's okay.  Some of it's weird, most of it isn't horrible, but most of it is just... there.  Not of lot of real standout moments.  But I haven't listened to it in a long time.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #1380 on: March 12, 2022, 10:15:20 AM »
Don't know if anyone's posted this anywhere. Really enjoyed this interview of Peter, Tony and Mike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeGVDk0mSY8

Lots of stuff I didn't know about the early days, though I never saw the last documentary they made so I'm not sure what made the cut vs. what didn't

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1381 on: March 14, 2022, 05:19:49 PM »
So I was going through my list of DTF Survivors that I've run here, and I noticed I've only done the Genesis Survivor ONCE, and that was back in 2012, so I think we are about due. It won't start til I'm done with my Dream Theater Survivor, so probably not until June or sometime this summer.

For those who are interested, you can check out the Genesis Survivor 2012 - Results & Discussion thread to see what the results were from a decade ago. Obviously the band haven't released any new studio material, so it'll be run the same way as before. It'll be fun to see how the results differ from a decade ago!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1382 on: March 15, 2022, 01:38:29 AM »
Wow, the Genesis survivor was really 10 years ago?  That brings me back, it was what got me into posting here back in the day. I haven't posted in a long while now but I still read some threads semi-regularly. Anyway, I had a lot of fun in that survivor and discovered some personal favorites that are still in heavy rotation to this day that I may have never bothered to listen to otherwise, good memories!
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1383 on: March 15, 2022, 09:48:00 AM »
So I was going through my list of DTF Survivors that I've run here, and I noticed I've only done the Genesis Survivor ONCE, and that was back in 2012, so I think we are about due. It won't start til I'm done with my Dream Theater Survivor, so probably not until June or sometime this summer.

For those who are interested, you can check out the Genesis Survivor 2012 - Results & Discussion thread to see what the results were from a decade ago. Obviously the band haven't released any new studio material, so it'll be run the same way as before. It'll be fun to see how the results differ from a decade ago!

-Marc.

Holy crap...Robbery, Assault & Battery out FIRST on ATOTT??!!  That might be the most unfathomable result I've seen on any survivor since I've been posting here.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: March 15, 2022, 09:50:02 AM »
Tell Me Why out first on We Can't Dance... Misunderstanding out first on Duke... This needs to be rectified :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1385 on: March 15, 2022, 10:00:48 AM »

-Marc.

Holy crap...Robbery, Assault & Battery out FIRST on ATOTT??!!  That might be the most unfathomable result I've seen on any survivor since I've been posting here.

That's my least favorite track on that album probably. The middle section is pretty great though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1386 on: March 15, 2022, 10:42:12 AM »
the same fan who made those others (The Lamb, Trick, Wind & Wuthering), made a Nursery Cryme documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ4XfbpS_bc

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1387 on: March 18, 2022, 11:00:11 AM »
2nd part of the reunion was just put up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml7oiSYgtxs

Offline HOF

« Reply #1388 on: March 27, 2022, 05:36:26 PM »
No real question about it, but Phil Collins confirmed that last night was the final performance by Genesis. Apparently Peter Gabriel took it in (as did Greg Spawton of Big Big Train, perhaps others of note).

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/genesis-final-show/

Time marches on. Genesis and King Crimson wrapping their careers in the same year is kind of interesting.

https://twitter.com/worldofgenesis/status/1507914663702499334?s=21

Spinning Fading Lights now, watching the sunset out my front window. Feels appropriate.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 05:50:30 PM by HOF »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1389 on: March 27, 2022, 06:03:38 PM »
It's heart-warming to see Peter and Phil together. It's like seeing James LaBrie with Portnoy after a decade, but even MORE so because, ya know, it's Genesis, and they've been a band for over 50 years now.

In one way, it's nice know that it was their last tour and show, so thing's have a certain finality, but it's also a bit bittersweet. Was it ever said that there would be a recording (audio or video) of this tour for future release? Or was this a "you had to be there" kind of event? Either way, I suppose the sun has finally set on Genesis.

Without derailing this thread too much, who else is still touring from the great 70s prog bands other than Yes, and I think, Jethro Tull? Not many of them left after Rush, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, and many others.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1390 on: March 27, 2022, 06:12:02 PM »
It's heart-warming to see Peter and Phil together. It's like seeing James LaBrie with Portnoy after a decade, but even MORE so because, ya know, it's Genesis, and they've been a band for over 50 years now.

In one way, it's nice know that it was their last tour and show, so thing's have a certain finality, but it's also a bit bittersweet. Was it ever said that there would be a recording (audio or video) of this tour for future release? Or was this a "you had to be there" kind of event? Either way, I suppose the sun has finally set on Genesis.

Without derailing this thread too much, who else is still touring from the great 70s prog bands other than Yes, and I think, Jethro Tull? Not many of them left after Rush, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, and many others.

-Marc.

Steve Hackett soldiers on doing justice to the early Genesis material as well as his own, but his band is made up of younger guys. Nick Mason also does the Saucer Full Of Secrets thing for PF, but the original bands are few and far between. Heck, there’s not much difference between what Hackett and Mason are doing and the current Yes lineup, which is basically just Howe and some other guys. Andrew Latimer has managed to keep a version of Camel touring as well.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1391 on: March 27, 2022, 06:26:58 PM »

-Marc.

Steve Hackett soldiers on doing justice to the early Genesis material as well as his own, but his band is made up of younger guys. Nick Mason also does the Saucer Full Of Secrets thing for PF, but the original bands are few and far between. Heck, there’s not much difference between what Hackett and Mason are doing and the current Yes lineup, which is basically just Howe and some other guys. Andrew Latimer has managed to keep a version of Camel touring as well.

That's a good point about Howe/Hackett. Maybe they should just have a GTR reunion tour and call it a day.  :lol Kidding. Hackett waving the classic-Genesis flag is a brilliant move, and he's having more success (with fans) than Howe, at least from some comments I've read online. Seems like the old guard of 70s bands is slowly fading away. In another decade, acts like Marillion and IQ may be the next to go, then folks like Roine Stolt, Neal Morse, and Steven Wilson in the 2040s/2050s. The march of time is tough one, but I guess we just have to take it all in stride.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1392 on: March 27, 2022, 06:51:50 PM »
That's a good point about Howe/Hackett. Maybe they should just have a GTR reunion tour and call it a day.  :lol Kidding. Hackett waving the classic-Genesis flag is a brilliant move, and he's having more success (with fans) than Howe, at least from some comments I've read online. Seems like the old guard of 70s bands is slowly fading away. In another decade, acts like Marillion and IQ may be the next to go, then folks like Roine Stolt, Neal Morse, and Steven Wilson in the 2040s/2050s. The march of time is tough one, but I guess we just have to take it all in stride.

-Marc.

You know, Roine is actually from that 70s era of bands having started with Kaipa at a young age. Neal isn’t much younger as I think he was around 35 when The Light came out.

It’s kind of rough being an under 40 prog fan and having most of your favorite bands having debuted in the 90s or earlier. The classic prog acts are my parents’ age. The bands who debuted in the 90s even are up in their 50s and 60s in some cases. And aside from a few acts, there aren’t many artists who started out in the 00s or 10s who I really care about. There seem to be a few more recent acts that are promising, but the going is hard because there just isn’t the audience or promotion that there was in the 70s, 80s, or even still in the 90s.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1393 on: March 28, 2022, 03:28:12 AM »
Nice to see my favorite band of all time having a decent, respectable "ending". I will remain a proud Genesis fan for the rest of my life and I am proud to be able to say I saw my first and only Genesis concert in Glasgow last year. Heartwarming to see Phil and Peter together. I will be spinning Fading Light today as well.

Another chance hello, another goodbye
And so many things we'll never see again
Days of lives that seem so unimportant
They seem to matter and to count much later on
Far away, away, fading distant lights
Leaving us all behind, lost in a changing world
And you know that these are the days of our lives, remember.
any rock can be made to roll

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: March 28, 2022, 05:28:38 AM »
I so remember buying the album the first month that it was out.  Part way through 'Fading Lights', I'm going "this is their swan song."

Damn....that was over thirty years ago!!!  Timeless music, unlike us, never ages.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1395 on: March 28, 2022, 08:55:53 AM »

-Marc.

But unlike James and MP, there was never any bad blood or ill will between Phil and Peter.  Phil was best man in Peter's 2004 wedding to his current wife.  The whole band has maintained good friendships through the years. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1396 on: March 28, 2022, 09:10:49 AM »

-Marc.

But unlike James and MP, there was never any bad blood or ill will between Phil and Peter.  Phil was best man in Peter's 2004 wedding to his current wife.  The whole band has maintained good friendships through the years.

That's a fair point. I think there's just a bit of fondness for seeing Phil and Peter together at a Genesis concert considering how long fans have wanted Peter to do a reunion concert/tour with Genesis but it was just never going to happen. I wasn't aware they were still that close, at least enough for Phil to be Peter's best man, so that's really cool to hear.

I guess now that Phil has essentially retired, I guess now's the time for Peter to take Genesis back! :lol Kidding... but it would be cool to see Peter do a show with Steve Hackett's band, which feels more likely than Peter doing a show with the Phil/Mike/Tony trio at this point (even if they didn't just end the band).

I do hope that they make a concert available for audio and/or video release in the future. It would be nice to have a documentation of their last tour!

-Marc.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1397 on: March 28, 2022, 10:14:47 AM »
Yeah, they're all on good terms outside of Genesis.  When Prog magazine awarded Tony Banks with their Prog God award, it was Peter that introduced him.  The only real tensions between the band members were creative tensions, and those were mostly between Tony and Mike on one side, and Peter and Steve on the other, with Phil in the middle, and probably the most notable between Tony and Peter, and then later Tony and Steve.  With that, they were still good friends outside of the band, as that interview footage that has been posted clearly suggests. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1398 on: March 28, 2022, 10:54:04 AM »
Yeah, they're all on good terms outside of Genesis.  When Prog magazine awarded Tony Banks with their Prog God award, it was Peter that introduced him.  The only real tensions between the band members were creative tensions, and those were mostly between Tony and Mike on one side, and Peter and Steve on the other, with Phil in the middle, and probably the most notable between Tony and Peter, and then later Tony and Steve.  With that, they were still good friends outside of the band, as that interview footage that has been posted clearly suggests.

I do think there has been somewhat more coldness between the remaining 3 and Steve Hackett, or at least between Tony and Steve. It feels like Tony has always been a bit dismissive of Hackett, and I get the sense that while Hackett is very fond of the music he made with Genesis, he is not very fond of what Genesis did after he left. Still probably more of a creative difference than anything personal, but they don’t seem very chummy looking in from the outside.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: March 28, 2022, 03:29:20 PM »

Contrary to popular wisdom, I always got the sense - the Archive re-recordings notwithstanding - that PETER was just as reluctant to revisit the early days as Tony was.  In fact, maybe more so.  To my knowledge, with the exception of the '81 reunion show at Milton Keynes, Peter only ever performed "Back In NYC" after leaving.  He never had a song over 7:00, and rarely that (until his last LP).   I don't think this is really "Prog" (Peter/Steve) vs. "Pop" (Tony/Mike).  I think it's really about "past and future" and only Phil and Steve are that keen on looking back, really.