Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 146814 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #1330 on: September 23, 2021, 11:00:22 AM »
it's MOSTLY that, especially on the 4/5 man stuff, but I don't think it's set in stone.  I'll have to go back, but I seem to recall watching either the Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance tours and thinking "Huh, Mike's playing bass on that!" when, by that system, he wouldn't be. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1331 on: September 23, 2021, 11:51:54 AM »
the keys are probably the same as in 2007, many songs were transposed then too.

Nah. MUCH lower.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #1332 on: September 23, 2021, 12:10:08 PM »
Turn It On Again is in B on the album, they dropped it to A in '07, and now it is in G (2 steps down).  The difference is now pretty jarring, and is like that for many of the songs.  Mama sounds pretty cool in the lower key, as it adds to the atmosphere of the song and makes it sound darker.  Home By The Sea is interesting, as it is dropped, but the 2nd part is in the original key.  Phil changes the melody a little on the higher notes he can't hit at the end of the 2nd part.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1333 on: September 23, 2021, 12:59:08 PM »
it's MOSTLY that, especially on the 4/5 man stuff, but I don't think it's set in stone.  I'll have to go back, but I seem to recall watching either the Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance tours and thinking "Huh, Mike's playing bass on that!" when, by that system, he wouldn't be.

Of the post Hackett material that they've played live, I noticed Darryl plays guitar on the Duke Suite, Keep it Dark, No Reply at All, Jesus He Knows Me, The Lady Lies, It's Gonna Get Better, maybe Burning Rope?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1334 on: September 23, 2021, 03:19:36 PM »

Of the post Hackett material that they've played live, I noticed Darryl plays guitar on the Duke Suite, Keep it Dark, No Reply at All, Jesus He Knows Me, The Lady Lies, It's Gonna Get Better, maybe Burning Rope?

Yeah, I was thinking it was the Duke Suite, but that didn't jive with the videos I mentioned so I didn't want to appear overly confused!  :) :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1335 on: September 23, 2021, 04:47:43 PM »
Back in the 80's and 90's, I always figured it was Daryl playing the original Steve Hackett parts, and Michael playing guitar on the later stuff.  But as we've seen, there are plenty of exceptions.

We know that most Genesis tunes come out of the guys jamming in the studio; this has always been the case.  And I would guess that most of the time they're jamming, Mike plays bass just because it's what he's used to.  If the song ends up with guitar stuff on the album, fine, but to Mike that's the "extra" stuff.  But obviously the final decision is his, whether he wants to play guitar or bass on any given song.  Daryl's job is to play what Mike says to play.  That's no dig on Daryl Steurmer, by the way.  I was a fan of Steurmer since the original Jon-Luc Ponty band.  He's awesome.  But he's still a hired gun with Genesis, and he'd be the first to tell you that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1336 on: September 23, 2021, 05:07:03 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking it was the Duke Suite, but that didn't jive with the videos I mentioned so I didn't want to appear overly confused:) :)

That's never stopped me!   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #1337 on: September 24, 2021, 09:15:10 PM »
I'm a big fan of Phil Collins (first 4 studio album era), casual Genesis fan.  I was lucky enough to see Genesis at Giants Stadium on the Invisible Touch Tour and Phil solo on his First Final Farewell Tour.  Seeing the YT clips of this current tour makes me so sad.  Hearing these severely down-tuned songs with a chair-ridden Phil is just depressing.    I'm happy he got his surgery and (hopefully) isn't in much pain anymore.  But, to me, this seems worse than current day Ozzy being carted out onstage by Sharon.  They've never been an overly energetic bunch onstage.  And, now, the one guy who was mobile is now relegated to a chair for the whole show.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1339 on: October 08, 2021, 09:57:39 PM »
Seeing the YT clips of this current tour makes me so sad.  Hearing these severely down-tuned songs with a chair-ridden Phil is just depressing.   

VERY! I also don't understand the point of them touring as such. Seems like kind of a rip off to me. It's not anyone's fault of course, but it's a TERRIBLE way to say "farewell" from such a great band.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #1340 on: October 17, 2021, 06:10:42 PM »
Well for those interested in checking more British Boomhauer, found this very recent interview with Patti Boyd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTyJQsKVmw

I had no clue that Genesis spent so much time in Dallas, TX back in the day.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1341 on: November 15, 2021, 07:29:50 PM »
new fan-made 22-minute documentary about the making of "A Trick of the Tail," really well done and researched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMVqnKK2SVE

Offline HOF

« Reply #1342 on: November 16, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »
Anyone else check out the Genesis Piano Project album that was released last month? I think they’ve had some YouTube videos out for a while that we may have had posted in here. I half listened to it in the office this morning and then listened to One for the Vine with headphones over lunch. Nothing that’s never been done before, but I still found it highly enjoyable.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_liK9WyAE_IQr7u2y9H1IkHyzp32I_8lvw&playnext=1&index=1

Offline HOF

« Reply #1343 on: November 16, 2021, 09:01:41 PM »
Anyone else check out the Genesis Piano Project album that was released last month? I think they’ve had some YouTube videos out for a while that we may have had posted in here. I half listened to it in the office this morning and then listened to One for the Vine with headphones over lunch. Nothing that’s never been done before, but I still found it highly enjoyable.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_liK9WyAE_IQr7u2y9H1IkHyzp32I_8lvw&playnext=1&index=1

After a few more listens took the plunge and bought this (it's download only). It really is well done.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: November 16, 2021, 09:51:28 PM »
Just got out of the second night at the Chicago concert. They really put on a great show. Really grateful I was able to see them!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: November 17, 2021, 12:24:13 AM »
Just got out of the second night at the Chicago concert. They really put on a great show. Really grateful I was able to see them!

Do I dare to ask how Phil was doing?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1346 on: November 17, 2021, 01:19:09 AM »
I watched a few videos on YouTube and Phil sounded pretty good, especially on "Misunderstanding," which was just added to the setlist. According to setlist.fm, it was the first time they performed that song since 1984. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: November 17, 2021, 07:08:55 AM »
Honestly all things considered they, Phil included, sounded amazing. But I will admit that never before has a concert made me think so much about mortality and the ceaseless progression of time.

In terms of how well he’s doing, I admit I don’t know much about his current health. He appeared significantly weaker than his bandmates, confined to a spinning chair, voice timbre completely overcome by his age, and his slightly curled up form. But he was clearly happy to be performing, sounded fine, and everyone was into it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 07:17:01 AM by Implode »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: December 02, 2021, 06:57:07 AM »
SO I saw The Musical Box last night for the fourth time.  This time was the "Genesis Extravaganza Volume 2", where they do three sets:  the first is from the four-man incarnation, songs from A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering.  Since W&W is my favorite Genesis album, this was killer.   At at least two points I had goosebumps on my arm.   Sebastian ("Mike") and Denis ("Peter"/"Phil") are the back bone of the band, but last night Antoine Baril ("Phil" (drums)) and Ian ("Tony") were the real standouts.  There were probably four or five moments where Antoine was just CRUSHING it and Sebastian and Ian (on either side of him) just smiled at him.  They were having real fun, and it showed.  Denis actually looks and sounds like Peter, and he's cultivated that (with some of the mannerisms) over the years, but he slips into the Phil role well, and his voice REALLY shines on songs like Ripples (not so much on Dance On A Volcano or 11th Earl Of Mar, but that's not to say it wasn't very good, just not "evocative" like, say, Supper's Ready, where you can really lose yourself.) 

I get it, it's a cover band, but these guys are the real deal, and are giving us something we can't see anywhere else.  Plus, watching the ending of Cinema Show, with just Sebastian, Antoine and Ian on stage (like the real band did it) is so special.  I've long written that the In The Cage Medley from Three Sides Live is my favorite piece of recorded music, and the bulk of that was performed last night and it was so good.   I've been under a fair amount of stress lately, and basically went by myself, and sat in the very front row; it was a wonderful, escapist two and a half hours.   Really needed that.  (Though the guy next to me had seen them something like 45 times and had seen the original Genesis on the Selling England tour, so that was a treat to talk to him). 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 09:37:36 AM by Stadler »

Offline HOF

« Reply #1349 on: December 02, 2021, 07:31:38 AM »
SO I saw The Musical Box last night for the fourth time.  This time was the "Genesis Extravaganza Volume 2", where they do three sets:  the first is from the four-man incarnation, songs from A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering.  Since W&W is my favorite Genesis album, this was killer.   At at least two points I had goosebumps on my arm.   Sebastian ("Mike") and Denis ("Peter"/"Phil") are the back bone of the band, but last night Antoine Baril ("Phil" (drums)) and Ian ("Tony") were the real standouts.  There were probably four or five moments where Antoine was just CRUSHING it and Sebastian and Ian (on either side of him) just smiled at him.  They were having real fun, and it showed.  Denis actually looks and sounds like Peter, and he's cultivated that (with some of the mannerisms) over the years, but he slips into the Phil role well, and his voice REALLY shines on songs like Ripples (not so much on Dance On A Volcano or 11th Earl Of Mar, but that's not to say it wasn't very good, just not "evocative" like, say, Supper's Ready, where you can really lose yourself. 

I get it, it's a cover band, but these guys are the real deal, and are giving us something we can't see anywhere else.  Plus, watching the ending of Cinema Show, with just Sebastian, Antoine and Ian on stage (like the real band did it) is so special.  I've long written that the In The Cage Medley from Three Sides Live is my favorite piece of recorded music, and the bulk of that was performed last night and it was so good.   I've been under a fair amount of stress lately, and basically went by myself, and sat in the very front row; it was a wonderful, escapist two and a half hours.   Really needed that.  (Though the guy next to me had seen them something like 45 times and had seen the original Genesis on the Selling England tour, so that was a treat to talk to him).

Sounds like a great time! Glad you got to unwind a bit.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1350 on: December 02, 2021, 10:07:22 AM »
Antoine Baril is an awesome dude.  I’m sure most of you have seen this already but he got the drum gig on the strength of this video alone https://youtu.be/-V7Dqf-FQL4

back in 2019(I think?) TMB’s drummer had some sort of last minute emergency and they needed a sub for a US tour with 3 days notice or something. He was the guy they called.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 02:03:48 PM by XeRocks81 »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1351 on: December 04, 2021, 09:41:56 AM »
So here's an oddity I just came across. Apparently in the mid 70s some English comedy actor decided he wanted to release a simple 3-minute pop single. Fair enough, nothing too strange about that. But then by some bizarre sequence of events that nobody involved seems able to now remember, he ended up getting a slew of 70s prog musicians to either write, sing or play on it, including Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Robert Fripp, Brian Eno and more... ​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQbO9cCfHIc

Here are Phil Collins' 'recollections':

"It did indeed feature Robert Fripp, Percy Jones, Keith Tippett, me and Peter G. A friend of Pete's, Martin Hall wrote the song, or possibly co-wrote it with Peter, called You Never Know. Apparently Charlie Drake, who was a huge comedy star of the 50s and 60s, wanted to make a record. How he ended up with this line-up I have no idea! It seems the most obscure set of people to make a comedy record. On the day Charlie, who was quite small, turned up with a brand new denim outfit for his rock debut... it was quite touching to see him at it. Percy Jones and I were already in Brand X by then. The whole session was one of life's interesting snapshots!"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1352 on: December 05, 2021, 12:22:04 PM »
SO I saw The Musical Box last night for the fourth time.  This time was the "Genesis Extravaganza Volume 2", where they do three sets:  the first is from the four-man incarnation, songs from A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering.  Since W&W is my favorite Genesis album, this was killer.   At at least two points I had goosebumps on my arm.   Sebastian ("Mike") and Denis ("Peter"/"Phil") are the back bone of the band, but last night Antoine Baril ("Phil" (drums)) and Ian ("Tony") were the real standouts.  There were probably four or five moments where Antoine was just CRUSHING it and Sebastian and Ian (on either side of him) just smiled at him.  They were having real fun, and it showed.  Denis actually looks and sounds like Peter, and he's cultivated that (with some of the mannerisms) over the years, but he slips into the Phil role well, and his voice REALLY shines on songs like Ripples (not so much on Dance On A Volcano or 11th Earl Of Mar, but that's not to say it wasn't very good, just not "evocative" like, say, Supper's Ready, where you can really lose yourself.) 

Saw Musical Box a couple weeks ago and I can confirm everything you've said. It's a bit weird to see them doing Phil era songs but if you've ever wanted what Peter Gabriel would sound like singing Entangled or Robbery, Assault, and Battery then this is your chance.

I've seen them several times now including their "Black Show" where the set is parred down but they utilize a bunch of black lights.  Apparently it's because Genesis lost some equipment or couldn't afford to bring part of their set so they improvised with a bunch of florescent stuff. Very cool.

Similar to you, I ran into a guy there who is a HUGE Genesis fan. I have no idea where he gets all his money but he has seen them at least half a dozen times on every leg of every tour INCLUDING the European shows. He even flew to Europe to see Genesis with Ray Wilson a bunch of times. I actually incidentally sat next to him at a Phil show a few years ago and then we just happened to be sitting one row apart at The Musical Box show a few months later.

Next year The Musical Box is doing the ENTIRE Lamb album. I never really dug that album UNTIL I saw Musical Box do about a third of the album a few years back. Now I still don't love it but there's something about seeing it live that is special.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1353 on: December 06, 2021, 11:05:27 AM »
Lily went to see her dad and brother perform and had the time of her life
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXIR-4ErTu3/?utm_medium=copy_link
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 11:15:55 AM by XeRocks81 »

Offline HOF

« Reply #1354 on: December 06, 2021, 11:10:12 AM »
Lily went to see her dad and little brother perform and had the time of her life
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXIR-4ErTu3/?utm_medium=copy_link

I love that backdrop (on screens probably) that appears to be mimicking CD/cassette spines.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1355 on: December 06, 2021, 11:14:03 AM »
a nice picture with her "little" brother too

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXJQ_wQLgWx/

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1356 on: December 06, 2021, 12:01:08 PM »
Looking forward to seeing them in Columbus on Wednesday.  Instrumentally, from what I've seen, they are still in top form. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: December 07, 2021, 07:33:53 AM »

Saw Musical Box a couple weeks ago and I can confirm everything you've said. It's a bit weird to see them doing Phil era songs but if you've ever wanted what Peter Gabriel would sound like singing Entangled or Robbery, Assault, and Battery then this is your chance.

I've seen them several times now including their "Black Show" where the set is parred down but they utilize a bunch of black lights.  Apparently it's because Genesis lost some equipment or couldn't afford to bring part of their set so they improvised with a bunch of florescent stuff. Very cool.

Similar to you, I ran into a guy there who is a HUGE Genesis fan. I have no idea where he gets all his money but he has seen them at least half a dozen times on every leg of every tour INCLUDING the European shows. He even flew to Europe to see Genesis with Ray Wilson a bunch of times. I actually incidentally sat next to him at a Phil show a few years ago and then we just happened to be sitting one row apart at The Musical Box show a few months later.

Next year The Musical Box is doing the ENTIRE Lamb album. I never really dug that album UNTIL I saw Musical Box do about a third of the album a few years back. Now I still don't love it but there's something about seeing it live that is special.

Well, I saw when they did the "Lamb segment", and the only theatrics were Denis in a leather jacket and jeans (ala Rael).  When they did a full Lamb tour about 6, 7 years ago, they did the full Monty.  All the costumes, all the slides.  From what I understand, it was THE original slides, given to them by the band, including some that weren't in the original show for whatever reason; Tony supposedly worked with TMB to re-sequence the slides to more reflect what they WANTED to do than what they actually did.  So this is essentially a play more than a concert.  I'm going, for sure, to see what audiences saw back in '74, '75.  I think it's going to be a treat. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: December 07, 2021, 07:35:22 AM »
My friend saw MSG last night or the night before (I forget); but I haven't talked to her to see how she liked it.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1359 on: December 09, 2021, 04:21:43 PM »
Saw Genesis in Columbus last night, and they put on a great show.  They’ve been at the top of my concert bucket list since I was a kid, so it was great to finally see them live, for likely the only time.  Tony, Mike, and Darryl were near flawless, and Nic Collins absolutely crushed it on drums.  Phil, despite his limitations, really seemed to be enjoying himself.  Lots of poignant moments, I think I saw Tony show emotion during the band introductions!  The light show was impressive without being excessive, and the live mix was full and detailed.  Even with having to transpose songs, and Phil at times struggling to sing in key and get the words sung in time, it was still a brilliant show and I’m glad I got to finally see them.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1360 on: December 09, 2021, 05:32:45 PM »

Well, I saw when they did the "Lamb segment", and the only theatrics were Denis in a leather jacket and jeans (ala Rael). 

Well yeah. I didn't mean I was blown away by him wearing a leather jacket but hearing it live and being able to watch the band really made me appreciate it more. Can't wait to see the full thing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: December 09, 2021, 05:46:50 PM »

Well, I saw when they did the "Lamb segment", and the only theatrics were Denis in a leather jacket and jeans (ala Rael). 

Well yeah. I didn't mean I was blown away by him wearing a leather jacket but hearing it live and being able to watch the band really made me appreciate it more. Can't wait to see the full thing.

No I'm with you; I was trying to express my excitement.  Musically, that band is SOLID.  I have my hopes very high for this show.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1362 on: December 10, 2021, 03:15:11 PM »
Honestly I would love to hear some originals from them too. I actually looked up if the vocalist has done anything else. It doesn't appear so.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1363 on: December 12, 2021, 09:20:03 PM »
Saw Genesis in Columbus last night, and they put on a great show.  They’ve been at the top of my concert bucket list since I was a kid, so it was great to finally see them live, for likely the only time.  Tony, Mike, and Darryl were near flawless, and Nic Collins absolutely crushed it on drums.  Phil, despite his limitations, really seemed to be enjoying himself.  Lots of poignant moments, I think I saw Tony show emotion during the band introductions!  The light show was impressive without being excessive, and the live mix was full and detailed.  Even with having to transpose songs, and Phil at times struggling to sing in key and get the words sung in time, it was still a brilliant show and I’m glad I got to finally see them.

Saw them play UBS Arena at Belmont Park. As feeble as he looked, I thought Phil's vocals were quite strong.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1364 on: December 13, 2021, 06:56:37 AM »

Saw them play UBS Arena at Belmont Park. As feeble as he looked, I thought Phil's vocals were quite strong.

I think he used his feeble-ness to his advantage on a few tunes, namely Mama and No Son of Mine.  Mama was extra menacing with him leaning into the creepy old man vibe.  My buddy and I were both struck by how dark the performance of Mama was.