Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 147031 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #1225 on: January 08, 2021, 08:21:18 AM »
Steve Hackett album review by my great friend: Bernard Romero: https://lotsofmuzik.com/steve-hackett-under-a-mediterranean-sky-review/ enoy it!

:metal

Offline emtee

« Reply #1226 on: January 10, 2021, 12:09:07 PM »
Listening to Foxtrot now as I write. Supper's Ready is just...amazing. I love it when music I've heard hundreds of times previously can still move me so deeply.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1227 on: January 16, 2021, 06:05:40 PM »
Listening to Foxtrot now as I write. Supper's Ready is just...amazing. I love it when music I've heard hundreds of times previously can still move me so deeply.

That's been my experience with the '76 to '83 era.  Never gets old.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1228 on: January 17, 2021, 10:54:38 AM »

That's been my experience with the '76 to '83 era.  Never gets old.

Boom.  I just randomly put on the audio from the Mama Tour (at Wembley) and same thing.   Just got transported...

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1229 on: January 17, 2021, 10:43:25 PM »

Supper's Ready is one of those songs that have the exact same effect on me. I think Genesis of all artists I know have the most songs that do that. Other songs like this are Mad Man Moon, Can-Utility, Burning Rope, Firth Of Fifth (duh), Dancing With The Moonlit Knight and especially One For The Vine. Among others of course. Thanks for reminding me what a masterpiece One For The Vine is, Orbert ;)  Whenever I hear those songs closely, I can't believe what those lads were able to compose.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1230 on: January 18, 2021, 12:19:31 PM »
To me, that's the essence of the early Genesis catalog.  They were not just songs, but compositions, approached in a very musical way and in many places with the lyrics added literally as an afterthought.  They tended to write the music first, and there are stories from both Tony Banks and Steve Hackett about being a bit disppointed that Peter Gabriel started singing over parts that they thought were instrumental.  It was more diplomatic than that (I don't recall exactly, but perhaps the word "surprised" was used instead of "disappointed" or something like that).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: January 18, 2021, 01:21:14 PM »
Sorry if it's a repeat, but while I agree with both of you in terms of the "compositional skills", I think the period following Gabriel's exit through, say, Abacab, was the sweetest spot for pure composition.  I think the early stuff got too compromised amongst the band, and after the self-titled, the process changed (to the "jam" as source of material).   But some of those mid-period songs - One For The Vine, All In A Mouse's Night, Me And Sarah Jane, the instrumental suite on W&W, Cul-de-sac - are compositional tours de force.   Perhaps more concise than something like "Battle Of Epping Forest", but well-thought out nonetheless.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1232 on: January 18, 2021, 01:56:44 PM »
Me And Sarah Jane is probably one of the most interesting songs from a compositional standpoint Tony ever wrote. It progresses in such a unique way that no other song of theirs really does imo. Add in the awesomeness that is Dodo and Keep It Dark and you have probably my favorite album of theirs (tied with The Lamb)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 02:10:35 PM by DTA »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1233 on: January 18, 2021, 02:08:48 PM »
To me, that's the essence of the early Genesis catalog.  They were not just songs, but compositions, approached in a very musical way and in many places with the lyrics added literally as an afterthought.  They tended to write the music first, and there are stories from both Tony Banks and Steve Hackett about being a bit disppointed that Peter Gabriel started singing over parts that they thought were instrumental.  It was more diplomatic than that (I don't recall exactly, but perhaps the word "surprised" was used instead of "disappointed" or something like that).

I recall reading about this with regards to "Epping Forest", as well as bits of The Lamb. I think at first, it wasn't an issue (during the Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot years), but it slowly became an issue when it seemed like Peter and the others were almost two separate entities, where the band would write the music without Peter's input, and then he would write his lyrics over their music (without much input from the band). It's been a long long time since I've read any Genesis history though, so I could be remembering things a bit wrong.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1234 on: January 18, 2021, 02:41:20 PM »

I recall reading about this with regards to "Epping Forest", as well as bits of The Lamb. I think at first, it wasn't an issue (during the Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot years), but it slowly became an issue when it seemed like Peter and the others were almost two separate entities, where the band would write the music without Peter's input, and then he would write his lyrics over their music (without much input from the band). It's been a long long time since I've read any Genesis history though, so I could be remembering things a bit wrong.

-Marc.

I think the most famous example is Apocalypse in 9/8 where Gabriel comes in with “666.” Banks was not happy that Pete interfered with his climactic moment. I’m not sure how it would have come out if he didn’t jump back in there. Ultimately, Banks has admitted it was better that he did.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 03:20:28 PM by HOF »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1235 on: January 18, 2021, 03:08:16 PM »
Sometimes it works really well, sometimes maybe not so well but it still works.  It's hard to say because we're so used to hearing those parts with the vocals; you have to really cop a different mindset and listen to the music and mentally filter out the vocals.

There's a clip of Genesis in 1976 doing "Fly on a Windshield" as an instrumental.  I recognized it, but since I only ever listen to The Lamb all at once, I wasn't sure which "song" it was.  Then we got to the part where the vocals would come in and they didn't and I realized what piece it was.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1236 on: January 28, 2021, 06:09:04 AM »
They've posted a short rehearsal teaser for the upcoming tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CPqRQI7Vjo
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1237 on: January 28, 2021, 06:41:10 AM »
They've posted a short rehearsal teaser for the upcoming tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CPqRQI7Vjo

I think the band sounds fantastic! I hope Phil can keep up.

I'm kinda bummed out though that there is so much bitterness in the comments of Genesis' FB posts. I for one am looking forward to the concert in Glasgow (never been there!) in October and I hope it won't be postponed again.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1238 on: January 28, 2021, 06:47:36 AM »
Nicholas looks/sounds like he’ll fill his dad’s shoes nicely. No Chester for this tour? I guess he’s not necessary without Phil juggling drum and singing duties.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1239 on: January 28, 2021, 06:51:38 AM »
Nicholas looks/sounds like he’ll fill his dad’s shoes nicely. No Chester for this tour? I guess he’s not necessary without Phil juggling drum and singing duties.

It was never considered to include Chester I think. AFAIK he is semi-retired/playing in a local jazz band and apparently fine with that  ;)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: January 28, 2021, 07:13:14 AM »
What do you guys think the setlist will look like? Pretty much the same as the 2007 tour? No surprises?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1241 on: January 28, 2021, 07:32:15 AM »
What do you guys think the setlist will look like? Pretty much the same as the 2007 tour? No surprises?

There was some talk about White Mountain, because of the red-eyed wolf on the screen round the 20 second mark of the teaser. That would be a big surprise imo. Plus, it doesn't have that big of a range, so I think it would be possible for Phil so sing.

I used to only like 70s Genesis, but I've grown to absolutely love their 80s stuff as well, so I'm fine with whatever they play (yes I admit it, I'm a total fanboy). I would love some surprises of course, though I don't think we'll hear anything like Dance On A Volcano, Down & Out, In That Quiet Earth or Can-Utility. Cul-de-Sac would be impossible for Phil to sing. I'd love something mellow from their earlier days though, like The Lamia, the mentioned White Mountain, Seven Stones or the masterful Burning Rope (which weirdly is never being talked about when Banks' composing is discussed). I think the main part of the concert will consist of songs like Domino, Throwing, No Son, Home By The Sea, Follow Me, songs from the Duke Suite. And I'm fine with that.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1242 on: January 28, 2021, 07:36:06 AM »
I know Duchess will be included, and obviously Behind The Lines/Duke’s Travels based on the clip. Probably very similar to 2007 otherwise though I’m hoping they throw in some rarities (nothing crazy even - just some underplayed stuff from the 3-man era like Dodo, Keep It Dark, Living Forever, or anything from side B of Shapes would be cool)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1243 on: January 28, 2021, 08:06:03 AM »
I know Duchess will be included, and obviously Behind The Lines/Duke’s Travels based on the clip. Probably very similar to 2007 otherwise though I’m hoping they throw in some rarities (nothing crazy even - just some underplayed stuff from the 3-man era like Dodo, Keep It Dark, Living Forever, or anything from side B of Shapes would be cool)

How do you know Duchess will be included? They might as well play the whole Duke Suite in the right order, like they did on the Duke tour!  :metal

I think out of the songs you mentioned, I'd love to hear It's Gonna Get Better. That song is a very under appreciated gem. And it includes Banks' characteristically weird harmonies and even some polyrhythms.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: January 28, 2021, 09:34:58 AM »
^^ There's an extended version on one of the singles (Mama, maybe?) that's worth having. 

I think it's setting the bar a bit too high to expect anything radically different than 2007, since 2007 itself wasn't radically different than that which came for the twenty years before that (though it was a very balanced set, IMO).  You may get a swap-out for Ripples, and you may get an added insert on the In The Cage medley, but I wouldn't expect their first gigs in 14 years to be pushing too many envelopes, especially with Nicholas on the cans (no matter how good he is).

Offline DTA

« Reply #1245 on: January 28, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »

How do you know Duchess will be included? They might as well play the whole Duke Suite in the right order, like they did on the Duke tour!  :metal

I think out of the songs you mentioned, I'd love to hear It's Gonna Get Better. That song is a very under appreciated gem. And it includes Banks' characteristically weird harmonies and even some polyrhythms.

Tony mentioned its inclusion for this tour in some interview I read months ago (its his favorite Genesis song too I believe). Obviously things change and songs get dropped so that’s always a possibility but I think we’ll see it this time around.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1246 on: April 18, 2021, 10:00:46 AM »
Really cool podcast interview with Mike Rutherford here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rockonteurs-with-gary-kemp-and-guy-pratt/id1530701242

Just discovered this series with Guy Pratt (bass for Pink Floyd, Toy Matinee, various sessions) and Gary Kemp (Spandau Ballet). They’ve interviewed a bunch of interesting artists (Jon Bon Jovi, Roland Orzebal, Billy Corgan, Alice Cooper), but this is the first one I’ve checked out. A lot of discussion about the early days of Genesis and how the band sort of developed their style and sound. Also some Mike + The Mechanics discussion, as well as some talk about the current Genesis reunion tour. Just a very nice, causal conversation.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1247 on: April 19, 2021, 02:44:46 PM »
Todd Suchermann was sharing this on FB:

Genesis live, Paris Bataclan 1973 long version, 16mm master in 4k

The quality is pretty amazing!

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline HOF

« Reply #1248 on: April 19, 2021, 02:57:47 PM »
Todd Suchermann was sharing this on FB:

Genesis live, Paris Bataclan 1973 long version, 16mm master in 4k

The quality is pretty amazing!

Saw a little bit of this but haven’t had a chance to watch it all yet. The picture is amazing though!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1249 on: April 19, 2021, 03:17:27 PM »
I watched some of that the other day.  Horrible cut removing half of Supper's Ready (including Apocalype in 9/8) and jumping suddenly to the end.  I switched to something else at that point.  Why have a "long version" if you're gonna chop up the songs anyway?

Offline frogprog

« Reply #1250 on: April 19, 2021, 03:21:19 PM »
Wow! That is amazing footage. They were so young!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1251 on: April 19, 2021, 06:42:22 PM »
it is pretty amazing how it was restored, however the film itself has been a well-circulated bootleg for ages.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: April 19, 2021, 06:51:43 PM »
A portion of it was on the 2008 box set, no?

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1253 on: April 19, 2021, 07:29:57 PM »
the footage isn't new but it has never looked this good,  It's unbelievable.  Streamed it to a 4K OLED tv and my jaw was on the floor the whole time. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1254 on: April 19, 2021, 09:54:24 PM »
Am I missing something?  Who cares how good the video looks if they butcher the audio?  It's not like we've never seen early footage of Genesis before.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1255 on: April 29, 2021, 11:23:17 AM »
https://www.genesis-music.com/

Last Domino Tour coming to North America this Fall.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1256 on: April 29, 2021, 11:25:59 AM »
Not going to miss this.  I was mad that I missed them in 2007.  They are the only one of my favorite bands I haven't seen live.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1257 on: April 29, 2021, 12:26:04 PM »
Wife wants to go.  I saw them on the Invisible Touch tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1258 on: April 29, 2021, 01:58:07 PM »
ZERO WEST COAST DATES????  :angry:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: April 29, 2021, 02:30:31 PM »
Wife wants to go.  I saw them on the Invisible Touch tour.

I saw that tour as well.  I thought it was amazing.

Romdrums, I can't speak to how they'll be now, at 70 and with Phil in a straightjacket or whatever, but their music translates so well live.

I think I'm going to try to see this at MSG in NY.  The sound there is so solid.

EDIT:  Wow, Tony is finally starting to look his age a bit.  The guy has looked "42" for the last 30 something years, and he's finally starting to seem, well, older than me!