Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 144313 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« on: November 21, 2009, 08:22:16 AM »
We have threads for Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, and Tony Banks, but not for Genesis!

Appreciate

I've been listening to a lot more Genesis lately. I'm currently listening to No Reply At All off of Abacab. Sweet bassline. I really want to learn it.

My favorite Genesis albums:

Selling England by the Pound
Foxtrot
The Lamb
Trick of the Tail
Invisible Touch

Rock out to Genesis :metal

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 11:58:19 AM »
One of my top 5 bands easily.  My favorite albums are probably:

Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Duke
Wind and Wuthering

Ditto on No Reply at All being awesome.  I love the EWF Horns in that song.

If you like Phil Collins-led Genesis, as you seem to, definitely check out Phil's solo stuff.  Face Value is an awesome album.

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »
Amazingly amazing band that is amazing. Nursery Cryme -> Wind and Wuthering = Amazing albums that are amazing.

/thread

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
I've only heard the albums from Trespass to Wind and wuthering. I would rank them like this:

1. Nursery Cryme
2. Selling England by the pound
3. Foxtrot
4. Wind and wuthering
5. A Trick of the tail
6. Trespass
7. The Lamb lies down on Broadway

I'll listen to the rest when I get time, but these are some quality prog rock albums that I really enjoy. I'm listening to Blood on the rooftops at the moment, and it's wonderful.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »

Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Duke
Wind and Wuthering

If you like Phil Collins-led Genesis, as you seem to, definitely check out Phil's solo stuff.  Face Value is an awesome album.

I do like Collins Genesis. Pop or not, they wrote good songs. I still prefer the proggier Gabriel era though

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 05:12:51 PM »

Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Duke
Wind and Wuthering

I do like Collins Genesis. Pop or not, they wrote good songs. I still prefer the proggier Gabriel era though

Actually, my favorite album by them is Wind and Wuthering.  I love the "transition" sound they had from Trick of the Tail through Duke, where they were best described as either proggy pop or poppy prog.  Amazing run of albums, even though I still find myself listening to the first three albums I listed above more often.

I've only heard the albums from Trespass to Wind and wuthering. I would rank them like this:

1. Nursery Cryme
2. Selling England by the pound
3. Foxtrot
4. Wind and wuthering
5. A Trick of the tail
6. Trespass
7. The Lamb lies down on Broadway

I'll listen to the rest when I get time, but these are some quality prog rock albums that I really enjoy. I'm listening to Blood on the rooftops at the moment, and it's wonderful.

You should hear ...And Then There Were Three and Duke.  Both of those albums are incredible also, in my opinion.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »
Actually, my favorite album by them is Wind and Wuthering.  I love the "transition" sound they had from Trick of the Tail through Duke, where they were best described as either proggy pop or poppy prog.

This is my favorite period as well, though every Genesis album is great in its own way.  Most of them are great in several ways.  Bearded Phil for the win!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
* Grabs a table, pulls up a chair, buys a beer, and waits for TAC to join him so he can find another person who hates Genesis to chat with.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 06:59:19 PM »
Not in my APPRECIATION thread you don't :P

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 07:43:03 PM »
Amazingly amazing band that is amazing. Nursery Cryme -> Wind and Wuthering = Amazing albums that are amazing.

/thread

Change Wind and Wuthering to Duke and you got it right (I love ATTWT and Duke)
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 09:28:13 PM »
Actually, my favorite album by them is Wind and Wuthering.  I love the "transition" sound they had from Trick of the Tail through Duke, where they were best described as either proggy pop or poppy prog.

This is my favorite period as well, though every Genesis album is great in its own way.  Most of them are great in several ways.  Bearded Phil for the win!

:lol Yeah, the albums where Phil had that huge bushy beard were his best as frontman.  He shaved it off for Abacab and things went downhill a bit(though they still released fantastic albums after Duke, for the record, just not as fantastic)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »
Album rankings:

1. Foxtrot
2. The Lamb
3. A Trick of the Tail
4. Selling England
5. Genesis
6. Duke
7. Nursery Cryme
8. Wind and Wuthering
9. Invisible Touch

Still don't have Abacab, I Can't Dance, Trespass, or Calling All Stations.  One of my friends thinks CAS is one of their best albums, so I'm interested in exploring that at some point.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 11:11:33 PM »
Calling All Stations has some strengths, but it feels incomplete, and in fact it was.  Most of the songs don't have proper endings, and a lot of them just feel underdeveloped.  Mike and Tony wrote everything with a drum machine, while they tried to work out the lead singer situation after Phil had left, and then they went into the studio a bit half-assed and ran out of time.  CAS has its moments, and does have a great feel and a different sound, but I'd be hard pressed to call it one of their best.  My first question would be "In what way?"

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 12:04:44 AM »
My very 1st Genesis album was Seconds Out.  I was completely floored when I heard Firth Of Fifth.   Tony Banks' piano intro and Steve Hackett's epic guitar solo = :hefdaddy

Since Seconds Out was made during the bearded Phil Collins-era, it was actually a pretty big adjustment for me to go back and listen to Peter Gabriel singing Supper's Ready, Firth, Musical Box, etc on the studio albums. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 07:20:15 AM »
I too started with Seconds Out, along with And Then There Were Three.  An ex-girlfriend asked me to play the organ at her wedding, and she asked if I could play "Follow You, Follow Me".  Of course I said "Yes" (I'd heard it on the radio, so how hard could it be?) and went directly to the record store to pick up ATTW3 and start learning it.  In the Genesis section was a cut-out copy of Seconds Out with that awesome cover.

I'm a big fan of live albums, or at least ones where the band really takes the studio stuff to the next level, and I ended up listening to Seconds Out a lot more than ATTW3, especially after "Follow You, Follow Me" got nixed by the girl's mom.  Apparently, traditional Catholic weddings have no room for rock music.  I don't know; I'm not Catholic.

It was an adjustment going back to the Gabriel years, but eventually I embraced it all.  But that mid-late-70's period is great.  Phil brought something to Peter's songs, and they were still cranking out some pretty proggy stuff with Steve in the band.

BTW, your memory is playing tricks on you.  There are very few live recordings of "Firth of Fifth" where Tony plays the piano intro, and Seconds Out isn't one of them.  The first time I heard Selling England by the Pound was at a friend's house, and hearing the piano intro blew me away.  It took me a moment to figure out why it sounded so familiar; it was the same as in the break, but sounded so different on solo piano.  This was before I'd gone back and filled in all the Gabriel-era stuff, but it probably encouraged me to speed up the process!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 02:30:26 PM »
When in Rome has been on VH1 classic recently. I'd like to go to a Genesis concert at some point (if they ever tour again), but the format is weird

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »
An ex-girlfriend asked me to play the organ at her wedding, and she asked if I could play "Follow You, Follow Me".  Of course I said "Yes"...

... "Follow You, Follow Me" got nixed by the girl's mom.  Apparently, traditional Catholic weddings have no room for rock music.  I don't know; I'm not Catholic.

Funny you should say that.  Indeed us Catholics frown upon secular music in the sacred liturgy, but my parents snuck it into their wedding as a prelude anyway.  There was a hymn in the book apparently called "Follow You" or something like that, and they told the priest that was the song. 

My parents FTW.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 06:48:26 PM »
One of my greatest regrets in life is not seeing Genesis on their reunion tour.

Oh and Genesis has been nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Finally a good band.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 06:50:36 PM »
I think the HOF is looking more at the Collins-trio era.  I'd love to see whatever presenter begin their intro with "Their first album, 'And Then There Were Three...'" and then look shocked when Peter Gabriel and some weird guitar guy jump up on stage with them.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 06:57:43 PM »
I saw Genesis on the "Mama" tour.  It was a weird tour, because this was at the point in the early 80's when solo Phil was more popular than the band Genesis, and/or most people couldn't tell the difference anyway.  Where I was sitting, I could actually hear people yelling out the names of solo Phil songs, either expecting him to sing them anyway, or not realizing the the set lists and song lists are completely separate.

The playing was all fantastic.  Daryl Steurmer on guitars and Chester Thompson on drums, of course.  I would have loved to have caught them a tour or two earlier, as abacab and Genesis (aka "Mama") were towards what I consider the decline at the end of Genesis.  But it was still a great show.  Lots of good songs.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 08:15:58 PM »
I think the HOF is looking more at the Collins-trio era.  I'd love to see whatever presenter begin their intro with "Their first album, 'And Then There Were Three...'" and then look shocked when Peter Gabriel and some weird guitar guy jump up on stage with them.

I hope Gabriel and Hackett are there, but something tells me that Steve wouldn't be there...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 08:49:21 PM »
He really should.  If only because getting the five together on stage might lead to a possible "The Lamb" reunion....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 10:14:48 PM »
Honestly, a reunion with the five at this stage wouldn't do a lot for me.  I am not saying I wouldn't go, but Peter Gabriel, as awesome as he is, simply doesn't have the live voice he used to, and when you listen to that old Genesis stuff, he is way up there, and I would hate to hear PG straining to sing that old stuff only to hear it come out sounding 1/5 as good as originally did.  Ya know? :)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 01:26:43 AM »
My favourite of the 70s prog bands, along with Pink Floyd. They have made some real classic stuff, mainly the period with Peter and Steve. Selling England By The Pound is in my Top 10 list of favourite albums of all time. Foxtrot is my second favourite by them, along with Nursery Cryme and The Lamb. I guess their stuff as a trio is good as well, but I haven't paid that much attention to that stuff other than the "hits". Altough Behind The Lines from Duke is a killer opener.

Top 10 songs:

1. Firth of Fifth
2. Time Table
3. For Absent Friends
4. Dancing With the Moonlit Knight
5. The Cinema Show
6. The Return of the Giant Hog-Weed
7. Supper's Ready
8. In The Cage
9. Counting Out Time
10. Ripples
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 09:57:49 AM »
I've been on a Genesis kick... in the last two months, I've bought 3 albums (Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme and Selling England).  Favorite by far is Nursery Cryme.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 10:03:13 AM »
when in rome is frequently on the mtv high def concert channel, i watch it once in a while, great quality channel btw.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 10:14:18 AM »
I've been on a Genesis kick... in the last two months, I've bought 3 albums (Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme and Selling England).  Favorite by far is Nursery Cryme.

Those are definitely the three best Gabriel-era albums, in my opinion.  You should definitely check out Lamb Lies Down on Broadway next... you'll definitely love it.

edit:  I definitely say "definitely" too much in this post.... definitely.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:12:05 AM by SeaWolf »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »
About 4-5 years ago, I "discovered" that there was a Genesis beyond their late 80's/early 90's pop-radio hits, and promptly bought The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. As a blossoming progger, I was compelled to dive right into their most ambitious, and perhaps most contentious album, and I was floored by it's 90+ minutes! It was a musical journey unlike any I had ever experienced, and it ranks in my Top 20 albums of all time (at least 25, lol).

After that, I worked backwards and got the rest of the Gabriel-Era Genesis, and of the remaining albums, Trespass to SEBTP, the latter two are my favorites over the former, although Trespass has some GREAT moments on it, and I love listening to the whole thing, just knowing those boys were so young making such good music!

I also highly enjoy ATOTT to Duke, and that run of four albums is great in it's own right in the way that Trespass to SEBTP is in it's own way. Of that bit of albums, Wind And Wuthering is probably my favorite, then A Trick, tied with Duke, and lastly ATTW3, which took me a LONG time to get into, but after a couple years, I finally found some great songs and enjoyable moments on that album.

Of course, from Abacab to We Can't Dance, they have their radio hits, which are great songs, but their output in general waned for me, but I love their longer songs ("Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea", "Domino", "Driving The Last Spike", and most especially "Fading Lights"). Of these albums, I would definitely pick We Can't Dance over the other three.

It's hard to go on knowing a reunion beyond the 3-man group is unlikely, but at least those three came together for one more tour... unlike Yes who continue touring without Jon Anderson, causing more controversy than a lack of a 5-man Genesis tour, putting the future of Yes into some sort of limbo where no one's sure if they'll record again. As for Genesis, I think it's likely they won't record again, but I'm fine with that. They haven't put an album out in over 12 years, so I've come to accept those chances are really slim-to-none. They had a great run, and I love pretty much all of it! Now they are all "free to get back home".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »
I think of the post-Duke albums, the S/T album is probably my favorite, with We Can't Dance following.  Invisible Touch is fantastic if only for the number of hit songs that album generated. (title track, Land of Confusion, In Too Deep, Tonight Tonight Tonight, Throwing it All Away)

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
I think of the post-Duke albums, the S/T album is probably my favorite, with We Can't Dance following.  Invisible Touch is fantastic if only for the number of hit songs that album generated. (title track, Land of Confusion, In Too Deep, Tonight Tonight Tonight, Throwing it All Away)

This, exactly.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 11:31:46 AM »
Am I the only one that hasn't even bothered with Calling All Stations?  Genesis without either Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel is just not Genesis, in my opinion.

If I am, should I bother with it?  Orbert's post above about the album doesn't give me much hope.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 12:02:17 PM »
Nah, not really worth it. It's kinda interesting really. Genesis started out with an album not worth bothering with, and ended with one.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »
Nah, not really worth it. It's kinda interesting really. Genesis started out with an album not worth bothering with, and ended with one.

rumborak

Are you also referring to From Genesis to Revelation?  If so, I agree, that album kinda sucks too.  Though at least Peter Gabriel's on vocals on that album, so it's worth it at least for that.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 12:13:59 PM »
Speaking of the debut album, In The Wilderness is a great little song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »
The album definitely has its moments, but I guess I'm just not too keen on the '60s psychedelic pop sound they had on that album.

The progression they made from that album to Trespass is just astounding, given the small amount of time between albums.