Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 144362 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #770 on: September 04, 2017, 08:47:09 AM »
When your 2-year-old recognizes and calls out prog rock, you're doing something right!  :tup

Also, synchronicity!  I just heard the Three Sides Live version of Abacab tonight in my car.  It came on shuffle on my iPod.  I love the keyboard/guitar duet jam at the end.  Great ending to a great song.  I was in a band back in the 80's and we did that version.

I'll admit to hitting the repeat button repeatedly for an hour while listening to this version in the car. I think it's my favorite live version of that song ever.

Agreed.  It was my favorite song off the album when my dad played it when I was a kid.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #771 on: September 04, 2017, 11:10:46 AM »
I'm preaching to the choir here probably, but to me Phil Collins is one of the drumming greats of all time. He was incredible at creating beats that both perfectly complemented the song, and at the same time are unique and complex.

He's in my "Mt. Rushmore" of drumming (with Peart, Portnoy and Bonham).

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #772 on: September 04, 2017, 11:39:37 PM »
I'm preaching to the choir here probably, but to me Phil Collins is one of the drumming greats of all time. He was incredible at creating beats that both perfectly complemented the song, and at the same time are unique and complex.

Agreed. The blinding hatred many have for Collins the pop star has made his greatness as a drummer something that many now overlook or have simply forgotten.

And even as a pop star he has some really good tunes, his first couple solo records are pop done ambitious and right.

Later in his career he gets cheesy as f*ck and there was a time where you had the feeling that Phil Collins was everywhere, probably the hate stems from that.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #773 on: September 04, 2017, 11:49:51 PM »
Just how amazing and beautiful is Mad Man Moon? That song really does give me the feels.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #774 on: September 05, 2017, 06:37:40 AM »
Great song!  I love the whole song, but that instrumental break is incredible.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #775 on: September 05, 2017, 07:43:47 AM »
And even as a pop star he has some really good tunes, his first couple solo records are pop done ambitious and right.

Later in his career he gets cheesy as f*ck and there was a time where you had the feeling that Phil Collins was everywhere, probably the hate stems from that.

His first two solo albums are amazing, and contain some really cool and edgy stuff. The roof is leaking, Thru these walls ... all really awesome stuff.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: September 05, 2017, 08:55:10 AM »

His first two solo albums are amazing, and contain some really cool and edgy stuff. The roof is leaking, Thru these walls ... all really awesome stuff.

I put No Jacket Required in that category as well; the problem is that the first two singles were "One More Night" and "Sussudio", which in my estimation are BY FAR (not even close) the worst songs on the album.  "Only You Know And I Know", "Who Said I Would", "Inside Out" and "Take Me Home" are outstanding, even by the standards of the first two albums.   It's the next album, where he "expanded his focus to the exploration of socio-economic and political themes" (from Wikipedia) that he really lost me. 

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #777 on: September 05, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »

I Don't Care Anymore is so good!

I Love his early solo albums. No Jacket Required is pretty decent as well...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #778 on: September 06, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »
Bailed on Coillns' solo albums after Hello, I Must Be Going. (Well that's not quite true. The Big Band and R&B albums are killer too.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #779 on: September 07, 2017, 05:47:35 AM »
I think But Seriously is awesome as well. The trumpet intro alone is killer! Phils drumming on the album is super powerful.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #780 on: September 07, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
I met Mike Rutherford today!!! Very proud and still shaking a little :O

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: September 07, 2017, 12:11:31 PM »
Awesome :omg:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #782 on: September 07, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »
Cool!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: September 07, 2017, 12:33:29 PM »
He looks good! (You both do, but he's got more miles than you, so he gets the compliment!)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #784 on: September 18, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »

Nice!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #785 on: October 24, 2017, 08:28:52 PM »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #786 on: October 24, 2017, 09:10:35 PM »

How'd you manage that?  Was he doing a Mechanics show?

It's a shame he will probably never tour the states.  Even though I really couldn't get into the Mechanics I would still go in a heartbeat.  Plus, they cover two Genesis songs that sound pretty good. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #788 on: December 08, 2017, 04:34:15 PM »
Dusted off Trespass a few days ago and have given it a few listens after a break of many years. What a wonderful album, and a massive step-up from their debut. It's difficult to believe they were barely out of their teens when they wrote these songs. Looking For Someone, White Mountain, Visions of Angels (did they later quote from this song on Dodo/Lurker, the 'choral' part?), what an incredible opening 3 songs. And the 2nd half has The Knife and Stagnation, 2 classics. 

This is a gem of a prog album, it may even be my favourite of the Gabriel albums.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #789 on: December 08, 2017, 08:45:52 PM »
:tup

Definitely an overlooked Genesis gem, because it was before the "classic" five-piece lineup with Collins and Hackett.  An excellent album.  ♫♫

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #790 on: December 10, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »
Dusted off Trespass a few days ago and have given it a few listens after a break of many years. What a wonderful album, and a massive step-up from their debut. It's difficult to believe they were barely out of their teens when they wrote these songs. Looking For Someone, White Mountain, Visions of Angels (did they later quote from this song on Dodo/Lurker, the 'choral' part?), what an incredible opening 3 songs. And the 2nd half has The Knife and Stagnation, 2 classics. 

This is a gem of a prog album, it may even be my favourite of the Gabriel albums.

The only song you left out is Dusk, which I also love very much! One of those acoustic, impressionistic Genesis dreams.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #791 on: January 04, 2018, 02:10:46 AM »
First post in this thread for 2018, and I have an odd question. So I'm listening to Unitopia's Genesis Medley and they covered "Silent Sun" from Genesis' debut album. Other than that and Echolyn covering "Where The Sour Turns To Sweet", does anyone else know any bands that have covered songs from From Genesis To Revelation?

I've always hoped that Nick D'Virgilio's Rewiring Genesis could give FGTR a make-over given the use of strings and horns on their cover of TLLDOB would work well to cover the debut album, and maybe make it flow a bit better with new/smoother song transitions.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #792 on: January 04, 2018, 07:06:00 AM »
Genesis do not own the rights to From Genesis To Revelation.  Jonathan King set it up so that he would retain total control over the album and the recordings.  That's why Genesis themselves never played anything from it after they fired him, why it has never been remastered along with the rest of the Genesis catalog, and why a "new" "lost" early Genesis album shows up every so often with the same songs, a different track order, and maybe an alternate version or outtake or two.  I'm sure Nick couldn't even get his hands on it and/or they/Genesis didn't think it was worth it to approach King about it.

I'm actually surprised that anyone has covered songs from that album, because that would require permission not from Genesis, but from Jonathan King.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #793 on: January 04, 2018, 07:28:41 AM »
Genesis do not own the rights to From Genesis To Revelation.  Jonathan King set it up so that he would retain total control over the album and the recordings.  That's why Genesis themselves never played anything from it after they fired him, why it has never been remastered along with the rest of the Genesis catalog, and why a "new" "lost" early Genesis album shows up every so often with the same songs, a different track order, and maybe an alternate version or outtake or two.  I'm sure Nick couldn't even get his hands on it and/or they/Genesis didn't think it was worth it to approach King about it.

I'm actually surprised that anyone has covered songs from that album, because that would require permission not from Genesis, but from Jonathan King.

Plus, I think they don't consider the music on that album as very good.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #794 on: January 04, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »
I've never read anything that would indicate that.  I've been a fan for 40 years, and while I can't say I remember everything I've read regarding the band, I don't remember anything that would indicate that they're not proud of that first album.  Actually, it very rarely comes up at all in interviews, possibly because many people don't even know that it exists.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: January 04, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »
Well, remember too that the first album was a song showcase.  They wrote songs and rather than have someone else play them, they recorded them themselves.   Not so much with Trespass, but when Phil joined, they morphed into more of a performing group. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #796 on: January 06, 2018, 08:15:17 PM »
So... no one else has ever covered anything from FGTR, be it live or in the studio, full song or snippets/medley?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #797 on: January 06, 2018, 11:00:48 PM »
I guess not.

:yarr

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #798 on: January 12, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »
Tony Banks has released a new 15 minute piece for piano and orchestra, PRELUDE TO A MILLION YEARS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF69G7IkcBs&feature=youtu.be
His new album, consisting of classical compositions, will be released on 23rd of February.

I've been listening to quite a lot of the early Collins phase of Genesis and I am constantly amazed by Tony's compositions. I mean again and again, every time I listen to them. I think the guy is a freakin genius. One For The Vine, Mad Man Moon, Burning Rope - those songs are just fantastic pieces of art.

His ability for great melodies and interesting arrangements and chord progressions are found in his classical compositions, too. This one is a beauty as well.
As much as I enjoy his classical albums (with no desire whatsoever to land a "hit" or so) - I'd love those talents in a rock band again. His rock/pop albums have never been the best, but here he shows that he CAN when he WANTS.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #799 on: January 12, 2018, 08:28:47 AM »
He definitely wants to, but his issue is finding people to work with who will bring out his best.  You've named three of my favorite Genesis songs, all clearly Tony Banks compositions, but he seems to need someone else to either focus his efforts properly, or add to and refine them.  His solo albums all have great ideas never fully realized into great songs.  Nearly all the songs fall in the "okay, has a lot of potential, but is missing something" category.  A strong lead singer, a better hook, something.  His solo albums are usually himself and a bunch of mostly unknowns.  It's like he writes all the time, and one day he notices that he has enough songs for an album, so he throws together a mediocre band and records them, hoping it'll be good.  Nope.  Maybe next time.  Strictly, Inc. is probably my favorite, the closest thing to a decent album by an actual band, but by that point I think Tony was out of ideas in the Pop genre and took a break, emerging later as a neo-classical composer.

Tony was very, very fortunate to have met Peter Gabriel, Ant Phillips, and Mike Rutherford very early and forming Genesis.  His talents seem to work best in a group scenario.  His classical albums ("Seven" and "Six") are both great, with excellent compositions, arrangements and orchestrations, but they still fall to background music when I put them on.  In the car, I'll realize I'm not even paying attention at some point.  At home, I'll put one on and shortly after, I'll turn on the TV with no sound, or play on my phone or something because the music alone isn't enough to keep my attention.  It sounds amazing, but still somehow doesn't captivate.

I do look forward to his next album, "Five", from which this is the opening track.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: January 12, 2018, 09:19:44 AM »
While "One For The Vine" is one of my favorite Genesis songs ever, I think "Me And Sarah Jane" is his best composition from a technical standpoint.   If memory serves, it sounds like a cute pop song, but it's actually (and again, going from memory here) five sections that follow each other but do not repeat.    So in "ABACAB" parlance - the album it comes from (and a reference to the structure of the title track, "part A, Part B, part A again, Part C, part A again, part B again", even though the song doesn't technically follow that scheme) - it is "ABCDE".    Genius. 

He also wrote what I often say is my favorite Genesis song, and a song that makes me cry often:  "Evidence of Autumn".   That passage -

"But that was many years ago
And though the pain is dim
A something still remains
Though you hardly can recall
Her face or form
Her memory lingers on"

Slays me every time.

This is along other great songs like "All In A Mouse's Night", "Cul-de-Sac", "Heathaze", and his solo "Shortcut To Somewhere".

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #801 on: January 12, 2018, 01:00:39 PM »
I'm glad you mentioned Cul-de-Sac. This often forgotten song amazes me. Extremely intelligent harmonies, fantastic playing by Collins (as per usual) and a quite a few rhythmical knacks here and there - all squeezed into 5 very concise minutes.

Also, I agree, Banks was fortunate to have met the guys. But they were just as fortunate. I mean, in the end, Banks was the mastermind behind Genesis. He wrote crazy good stuff before Collins even realized he could write anything. Most of the greatest ideas from the 70-80 eras came from Tony. The intro to Firth, The Cinema Show and Supper's Ready keyboard solos, next to the songs we already mentioned. But I agree, the other dudes helped in making these ideas into some of the best music I have ever heard. That's what probably made Genesis so incredibly good. Perfect musical chemistry (although probably perfect personal chemistry wasn't present all the time). Plus, each of their own proved they had a buttload of talent in them with their own solo career. But all of them together in one band? Wow.

Have you ever imagined the following thing: Imagine if Genesis never existed, but all of the members had started solo careers from the beginning. Each and everyone makes cool music. They somehow got in touch and THEN formed a "supergroup" together called Genesis (like a lot of Prog musicians do in todays times). I wonder what would have been the result of that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: January 12, 2018, 01:27:38 PM »
I think like anyone else, things aren't always perfect, but if you watch the DVD videos on the box sets (with the 5.1 mixes) the respect, love and admiration that Tony, Mike, Phil and Pete in particular have for each other is just amazing.   I think there's a lot of respect and "like" for Steve Hackett, but with the other four, it goes to the next level.   They weren't just "in a band together" like many of the big acts today. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #803 on: January 12, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »
I'm glad you mentioned Cul-de-Sac. This often forgotten song amazes me. Extremely intelligent harmonies, fantastic playing by Collins (as per usual) and a quite a few rhythmical knacks here and there - all squeezed into 5 very concise minutes.

Also, I agree, Banks was fortunate to have met the guys. But they were just as fortunate. I mean, in the end, Banks was the mastermind behind Genesis. He wrote crazy good stuff before Collins even realized he could write anything. Most of the greatest ideas from the 70-80 eras came from Tony. The intro to Firth, The Cinema Show and Supper's Ready keyboard solos, next to the songs we already mentioned.

...and a lot of the lyrics too!  I don't know if it's ever been broken down song by song but I got the impression that Tony wrote more than half of the lyrics, at least after Gabriel left.  Rutherford wrote some and towards the end Phil started writing more. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #804 on: January 13, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »
Stads, I'm glad you mentioned Mouse's Night.   There are lots of people that treat that song like a throw away from the Mach II era, but I absolutely LOVE that song.   The juxtaposition of the music when the story changes back and forth from the couple to the mouse is just brilliant. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude