Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 146495 times)

Online HOF

Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #945 on: January 30, 2020, 06:44:22 AM »
I’m a little bit afraid to watch a video of the ENTIRE lamb album animated.

The Lamb is a weird wild trip, and it has some really great moments. But it remains probably my least favorite Genesis album (though I don’t care too much for Trespass either). Too wordy, too weird, and at times too gross. It’s missing a lot of the more pastoral moments that make early Genesis great. Ultimately, it ended up being for the best I think for PG to go his own way after this. Genesis got to reset a little stylistically and melodically, and he got to push on with his more experimental mindset.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #946 on: January 30, 2020, 06:52:16 AM »
I feel the same way.  I still mostly listen to albums in their entirety, and a lot of The Lamb is just there.  The little connecting bits, and the weird stuff, I find myself just waiting to get to the next part I actually like.  It's impressive to be able to create that much music and make a cohesive story (more or less) out of it, so they get points for that.  Prog bands and concept albums.  And there's a lot of really cool stuff along the way, but overall The Lamb doesn't get played a lot by me.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: January 30, 2020, 07:55:11 AM »
I was thinking last night that the first half (the first disc of the two) are much more to my liking. The first half is full of memorable stuff, catchy, melodic, but still progressive songs - just awesome. While the second half is way more progressive and less accessible to me. Aside from The Colony Of Slippermen and It - all of my favourite tracks on the album is on the first half.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:01:10 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #948 on: January 31, 2020, 05:38:44 AM »
Hey guys, quick question: I was watching a Genesis ranking video yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJHacEDPL50&t=5s

...and I noticed that the guy sometimes holds up 2-disc editions of the albums (for example of Foxtrot and Selling England By the Pound). I can't find any info on these editions, and the albums' Wikipedia pages make no mention of double disc versions ever being released. Does anyone own these editions? If so, can you tell me what's on the 2nd discs? Much obliged.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 06:00:58 AM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #949 on: January 31, 2020, 05:49:48 AM »
Hey guys, quick question: I was watching a Genesis ranking video yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJHacEDPL50&t=5s

...and I noticed that the guy sometimes holds up 2-disc editions of the albums (for example of Foxtrot and Selling England By the Pound). I can't find any info on these editions, and the albums' Wikipedia pages make no mention of double disc versions ever being released. Does anyone own these editions? If so, can you tell me what's the 2nd discs? Much obliged.
I haven't watched the video, but according to discogs there isn't any 2-disc release of these albums. It is probably the 2007/2008 CD+DVD version.

https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Foxtrot/master/28853
https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Selling-England-By-The-Pound/master/29224

Offline jammindude

« Reply #950 on: January 31, 2020, 06:04:21 AM »
Got to be the CD/DVD-A versions.

Although I will say that those are among the greatest boxed sets I’ve ever owned. I still need to get the Live one and the Movie one.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #951 on: January 31, 2020, 06:12:19 AM »
Thanks guys. So the DVDs are just the album tracks?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #952 on: January 31, 2020, 06:13:41 AM »
Thanks guys. So the DVDs are just the album tracks?
yes, but with a surround mix (and probably high-res stereo, 24 bit and all that, not sure about that though), also including interviews by the band members and other video content in some cases
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #953 on: January 31, 2020, 08:58:10 AM »
The only 5.1 mixes that come close to the Genesis ones are the King Crimson ones.  I agree with Jammin, those are some of the best box sets I own.

Full disclosure:  the mixes on the 2-disc versions are SLIGHTLY different (though you may not even notice).   They had to be remixed to facilitate the surround mixes.   I know I've kept the "Definitive Edition Remasters" as well, as they reflect the original mixes.  To be honest, I can't really point to even one instance where they are noticeably different. But if you're a completist...

The interviews ARE worth it, though I can't imagine you'll come back to them more than once or twice.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #954 on: January 31, 2020, 10:40:10 AM »
The only 5.1 mixes that come close to the Genesis ones are the King Crimson ones.  I agree with Jammin, those are some of the best box sets I own.

Full disclosure:  the mixes on the 2-disc versions are SLIGHTLY different (though you may not even notice).   They had to be remixed to facilitate the surround mixes.   I know I've kept the "Definitive Edition Remasters" as well, as they reflect the original mixes.  To be honest, I can't really point to even one instance where they are noticeably different. But if you're a completist...

The interviews ARE worth it, though I can't imagine you'll come back to them more than once or twice.

Honestly the interviews  are so perfect in their content that I have actually come back to them several times. Some albums are a little more in-depth than others but I am surprised at how honest they are. Even the interviews with Ray Wilson are surprisingly blunt. So damn intriguing.

as for reunions, I just don't think it will be the same. I saw phil in concert last year and I'm glad I did but he has lost a lot, not just his ability to walk. With Genesis being such a high energy band I think it would just be a shell of itself. With that said, if there was a reunions I don't think I could resist the urge to go. I screwed up big-time and only got into Genesis about six years ago.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:23:12 PM by Madman Shepherd »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #955 on: February 12, 2020, 04:45:05 PM »
Happy 70th birthday to Peter Gabriel (at least where I am. The rest of you might need to wait a few hours).

His 4th solo album, as well as Trespass through Lamb, are some of the most important albums to me. I'll be spinning them all at some point today.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: February 13, 2020, 12:06:07 AM »
And happy 70th to Steve Hackett, whose birthday it was yesterday (12th) :P

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #957 on: March 03, 2020, 11:05:45 AM »
People are believing this band to be Genesis.

https://twitter.com/BBCRadio2/status/1234829325976965121

16 & 17 Nov. Dublin
19 & 20 Nov. Belfast
23 & 24 Nov. Liverpool
26 & 27 Nov. Leeds
30Nov & 1Dec. London
2 & 3 Dec. Manchester
5 & 6 Dec. Birmingham
7 & 8 Dec. Glasgow
11 & 12 Dec. Newcastle

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: March 03, 2020, 11:11:59 AM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Online HOF

« Reply #959 on: March 03, 2020, 01:56:13 PM »

Online Fritzinger

« Reply #960 on: March 03, 2020, 02:24:55 PM »
Just this morning I replied to this post in the German progrock FB community. With "Last time we were promised very exciting news from Genesis, we got that stupid R-Kive compilation with the childish "Gensise"-Logo. I don't believe in a reunion of my favorite band anymore." ... well I'm believing it when I see it. If they'd play one show in the place furthest away possible in the world from me, I'd fly there.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #961 on: March 03, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »
It's starting to leak out now.  The official announcement is supposed to be Wednesday (U.K. time, presumably), but a few sources have it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/11091521/genesis-announce-new-2020-uk-tour/

https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/genesis-reunion-tour-2020.html

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/03/genesis-reuniting-comeback-tour-2020-12344033/

I know.  The Sun, Vulture, Metro UK, all "somewhat questionable" sources.  But maybe.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #962 on: March 03, 2020, 05:39:54 PM »
Sounds like Collins' 20 year old son will be drumming for the tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #963 on: March 03, 2020, 06:06:35 PM »
I saw something about that.  I guess back in 2018 they talked a little bit about getting together, so this isn't quite out of the blue.  Phil said at that time that since he couldn't play, he wanted his son Nicholas on the kit.  I love Chester Thompson though, too.  Chester and Nicholas together could be cool.  And presumably they'd contact Daryl Steurmer as well.  The next few days could be interesting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #964 on: March 03, 2020, 07:03:04 PM »
I guess they need more money. :lol :lol

If this is true, I know some will fret about it not being the classic 5, but if they did that, there would be nothing for Phil Collins to do.  He can't drum anymore, only sing, so reuniting with just the trio is the only way he could be a big part of the show, since a reunion of the quintet would mean playing mostly the early material (PG and Hackett would not do a tour to play a bunch of material from after they left the band) where PG is doing almost all of the lead singing and Collins would have nothing to do.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #965 on: March 03, 2020, 08:19:37 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Fritzinger

« Reply #966 on: March 04, 2020, 02:52:48 AM »
It's official:

Genesis are delighted to announce that Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford will be touring the UK in late 2020!
Tickets go on sale on Friday at 9am.
More info here https://Genesis.lnk.to/Website
#lastdomino

Offline emtee

« Reply #967 on: March 04, 2020, 07:02:35 AM »
Wow!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: March 04, 2020, 07:22:11 AM »
Sweet!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #969 on: March 04, 2020, 07:50:14 AM »
I should be excited, but I'm not.

Some old men playing the same music live, that they played on their last tour and probably on a couple of tours before that? And it's probably expensive. Not really interested in that. Now if they would change the set list and pull out some deep cuts and/or have Peter Gabriel and/or Steve Hackett for a couple of guest spots, that would get me excited, but that's probably not gonna happen.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Fritzinger

« Reply #970 on: March 04, 2020, 08:18:41 AM »
I should be excited, but I'm not.

Some old men playing the same music live, that they played on their last tour and probably on a couple of tours before that? And it's probably expensive. Not really interested in that. Now if they would change the set list and pull out some deep cuts and/or have Peter Gabriel and/or Steve Hackett for a couple of guest spots, that would get me excited, but that's probably not gonna happen.

You're not going to ruin my happy mood like so many other pessimistic people out there, and you shouldn't. Just be happy for the people who never got the chance to see these three together performing their compositions.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: March 04, 2020, 08:22:58 AM »
I have a feeling that there will be an appearance by either Steve or Peter on at least one of those UK dates for a song or two.

I base that on absolutely nothing though, just the hopeless nostalgic in me :P

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #972 on: March 04, 2020, 08:29:47 AM »
Sorry, not trying to ruin everyone's mood. Please have fun and enjoy the news.

It's just that I had (albeit small) hopes that it would be more than "just" the Collins era Genesis reunion. And I'm not pessimistic, I'm just not thrilled.

So please have fun and enjoy the show.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online HOF

« Reply #973 on: March 04, 2020, 09:14:38 AM »
Steve Hackett just tweeted this:

Terrific news for Genesis fans! Whilst Phil, Mike and Tony prioritise the ‘80s, my show celebrates the ‘70s classics, including the whole of ‘Seconds Out’ late ‘20/early ‘21... 

https://twitter.com/hackettofficial/status/1235235306166681605?s=21

The fact is Hackett has been stewarding the 5 and 4 piece era for some time, and he is probably doing it better with his lineup than the other members of Genesis can. It’s also true that the 3 man era was longer and far more popular than any one of the prior eras. The audience for a reunion that includes Gabriel (who seems to have no interest) and Hackett is much smaller than the audience for the 3 man Genesis. That said, I’m sure everyone would love to see even just one show that featured an encore with Hackett and/or Gabriel doing something like The Carpet Crawlers.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #974 on: March 04, 2020, 10:27:12 AM »
Steve Hackett confuses me.  He was in Genesis for four years of their 40-year run, and left the band.  Since then he's had very little positive to say about his time with Genesis or the other members.  Yet for the past several years, his entire gig is based on the few years he was in Genesis.

His Genesis Revisited shows are, by all accounts, very good.  Great musicians, great music, great show.  So of course he takes a moment to congratulate the core trio, and a somewhat longer moment to pimp his own band, taking a shot at the trio disguised as a compliment.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #975 on: March 04, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »
part of the issue that it seems rarely if ever is brought up about Gabriel is the fact he likely can't even sing most of that stuff anymore.

An octave down? I doubt he'd be happy doing that.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #976 on: March 04, 2020, 01:47:32 PM »
So no Chester? Is it going to be Phil's son on the stool? Surely they'll need a 2nd guitarist, so I'm guessing they're going to go with Daryl who can teach Mike how to play all the songs again.  :lol

Sorry. I'm not aware of any of the details of the band yet. But that's really important to me in regard as to "will any of the performances actually be good?"

[edit: actually found some information. Looks like it's going to be Nic and Daryl: https://www.loudersound.com/news/genesis-announce-2020-reunion-tour]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:25:25 PM by Lupton »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #977 on: March 04, 2020, 03:04:38 PM »
I haven't seen anything about Chester, either, so apparently he's not in the picture.  That would seem to leave Nic alone in the drumming department.  It seems an odd choice, as they've played with a second drummer every tour since 1976 (always Chester, except for the one tour with Bill Bruford), but hey, it's their call obviously.

Daryl is on board, though.  Historically, Daryl usually played guitar on the parts originally played by Steve Hackett, and played bass when there were guitar parts originally played by Mike.  Presumably it will be similar this time.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #978 on: March 04, 2020, 03:40:01 PM »
This is intriguing:

"Banks adds that having Nic Collins taking his father's place behind the drum kit is a crucial part of the tour.

'Nic is a great drummer, but he is capable of sounding like early Phil. For Mike and I, that was always quite exciting. It means you can play some of the songs that you haven't played with Phil as the drummer for a long time.

'We’re playing old material, but there’ll be some new old material this time. Songs we didn’t play last time.'”

Although I find the reference to "old material" somewhat interesting.  Given that all of the relevant material is over 28 years old, it's all "old" at this point.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTA

« Reply #979 on: March 04, 2020, 03:55:02 PM »
They're never going to do anything out of the ordinary or from their early early days. ...they just seem embarrassed by it. "Old material" probably means stuff from Duke/Abacab