Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 144414 times)

Online NoseofNicko

Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #875 on: May 28, 2018, 11:19:30 PM »
Undertow (such a beautiful chorus, probably Banks' greatest)

Just listened to it because of your comment about the chorus and yeah that’s one hell of a chorus!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #876 on: August 14, 2018, 05:44:36 AM »
bump.

interesting list of all the solo albums ranked.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/genesis-solo-albums-ranked/

I know I would put Voyage of the Acolyte and Up higher personally.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #877 on: August 14, 2018, 07:49:16 AM »
For me, "But Seriously" and PG III (though I understand it, being the genesis of the classic Phil sound) are way too high, and PGI, Squackett, A Curious Feeling, and Hello...  are way too low.   Security is my favorite of Gabe's solo stuff, but I understand why So is where it is.   It IS that good (even if it's a record I'm somewhat fatigued over now). 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: August 14, 2018, 08:03:33 AM »
Wow, that list puts Car (PG I) as Gabriel's least best album. Can't get behind that at all.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: August 14, 2018, 08:27:47 AM »
Wow, that list puts Car (PG I) as Gabriel's least best album. Can't get behind that at all.

Me neither; I LOVE that album. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #880 on: August 14, 2018, 12:24:27 PM »
Interesting, but not surprising I suppose, that they omit Tony's neo-classical albums.  Other than A Curious Feeling, which is pretty solid start to finish, and Strictly, Inc., which has some high points, I find the rest of Tony's solo work decidedly mediocre.

But his classical stuff is pretty good.  The first one is a strong debut, the second is even better.  I'm having some trouble with the third one.  After three or four complete listens, I'm finding it to be the weakest of the three, which is kinda surprising (I was expecting the upward trajectory to continue).  It all sounds great, has all those wonderful Banks moves and changes, but just isn't very interesting.  No real melodies to keep your attention, basically background music.  Really nice background music, but challenging as active listening because there's not a lot to grab onto.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: September 07, 2018, 01:13:48 PM »
I'm ashamed to say that I never really explored the Genesis back catalog until now.  I'd heard many of their songs here and there since I was a child, but I'd always been more of a prog metal guy so I never went further.  The only album I owned was We Can't Dance because it came out when I was 12 and just getting into music.  (Phil's solo stuff has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, although I only own Both Sides and Hits.) Well, for some reason, I read something in Prog magazine last week that inspired me to start sinking my teeth into their stuff once and for all.  I started out by buying all the other albums with Phil, Tony and Mike (And Then There Were Three through Invisible Touch) for cheap on eBay.  I know this is considered by many to be their "pop" era, but I prefer to start with the most recent stuff and work my way back.  I'm currently obsessing over Duke.  Wow!  What a great album!  I can't wait to see what else is in store for me. :) 

Also, I gotta give a shout out to "Never A Time" from We Can't Dance.  What a wonderful song. :)   
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:23:38 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline DTA

« Reply #882 on: September 08, 2018, 05:36:24 AM »
Also, I gotta give a shout out to "Never A Time" from We Can't Dance.  What a wonderful song. :)

You may literally be the only person in history to ever have this opinion.  ;D

We Can't Dance has a lot of cool moments, but I think the length is a bit excessive for the type of material on it. I think cutting out 2-3 songs would've benefited it. Living Forever, Fading Lights, and Driving The Last Spike are excellent songs. If you accept the pop era for what it is and don't expect 70's Genesis to suddenly reappear then you'll discover how much awesome stuff is in there. The self-titled is my favorite of that time-period, but there's great stuff on every album (also some garbage, but I think that about nearly every 70's Genesis album too).

Working backwards should be pretty interesting. I think overall, A Trick Of The Tail and Selling England are their best and I'm curious what your favorites will be.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #883 on: September 08, 2018, 11:44:44 PM »
Just finished reading Phil’s Bio “Not Desd Yet”. Highly recommended. Very honest bio and a lot of Genesis tidbits.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #884 on: September 09, 2018, 10:11:52 AM »
Just finished reading Phil’s Bio “Not Desd Yet”. Highly recommended. Very honest bio and a lot of Genesis tidbits.

I stumbled on the audio of that about 9 months or so ago. Wasn't planning on listening to the whole thing at the time but I did.

I could probably get an enjoyable CD out of my favorites from Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance (Which I figured was worth the $1 when I found it in the used bin a few years back.)

I've had Calling All Stations longer than both of those.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #885 on: September 09, 2018, 10:57:21 AM »
I'm ashamed to say that I never really explored the Genesis back catalog until now.  I'd heard many of their songs here and there since I was a child, but I'd always been more of a prog metal guy so I never went further.  The only album I owned was We Can't Dance because it came out when I was 12 and just getting into music.  (Phil's solo stuff has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, although I only own Both Sides and Hits.) Well, for some reason, I read something in Prog magazine last week that inspired me to start sinking my teeth into their stuff once and for all.  I started out by buying all the other albums with Phil, Tony and Mike (And Then There Were Three through Invisible Touch) for cheap on eBay.  I know this is considered by many to be their "pop" era, but I prefer to start with the most recent stuff and work my way back.  I'm currently obsessing over Duke.  Wow!  What a great album!  I can't wait to see what else is in store for me. :) 

Was in the same boat as you except I never had any Genesis.  I remember I Can't Dance vividly because to a 9ish year old, the song and the video were awesome.  I assumed as an older person that opinion wouldn't stick but after delving into the entire Genesis catalog I can say that I love everything. 

It started by buying Invisible Touch on a whim because I remember the video for Land of Confusion, the Disturbed cover made me remember that I liked it, and then I found the album to be pretty awesome overall. 

I slowly got the entire rest of the Genesis catalog.  The Gabriel era was a bit hard to swallow at first but now I love it.  It was fascinating to see the progression of this prog band.  Honestly, I can't think of another band with such a fascinating career. 

It's true, some of their stuff is so poppy it is difficult to get into, but I just think it helps portray a more full story about the many dimensions of this band.  I also love that while they did go majorly pop, they never abandoned their prog roots with songs like Domino, Driving the Last Spike, etc plus always pulling out some of the old stuff in concert. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: September 09, 2018, 08:25:56 PM »

Working backwards should be pretty interesting. I think overall, A Trick Of The Tail and Selling England are their best and I'm curious what your favorites will be.

Well, yeah, except for Wind and Wuthering and The Lamb.  ;0. :)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: September 18, 2018, 08:18:07 AM »
Well, my first album working my way backwards was Invisible Touch (I'd already owned We Can't Dance), and I also watched a two-hour show from the Invisible Touch tour at Wembley Stadium.  The crowd was massive and I really loved the drum duet solo between Phil and the band's touring drummer.  Big respect to Phil for that one, and for jumping back and forth between drums and vocals throughout the show.  Obviously, I already recognized a bunch of the songs from that album.  I think I already knew five of the eight songs -- including "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" and "In Too Deep," both of which I really really love.  But the biggest surprise for me was probably "The Brazilian" -- what a great instrumental!  Totally did not see that one coming.  It gave me a bit of a Rush vibe.  Anyway, next I'm moving along to the self-titled album that starts with "Mama."       
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:37:36 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: September 18, 2018, 10:23:17 AM »
Well, my first album working my way backwards was Invisible Touch (I'd already owned We Can't Dance), and I also watched a two-hour show from the Invisible Touch tour at Wembley Stadium.  The crowd was massive and I really loved the drum duet solo between Phil and the band's touring drummer.  Big respect to Phil for that one, and for jumping back and forth between drums and vocals throughout the show.  Obviously, I already recognized a bunch of the songs from that album.  I think I already knew five of the eight songs -- including "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" and "In Too Deep," both of which I really really love.  But the biggest surprise for me was probably "The Brazilian" -- what a great instrumental!  Totally did not see that one coming.  It gave me a bit of a Rush vibe.  Anyway, next I'm moving along to the self-titled album that starts with "Mama."     

Chester Thompson, FYI.   Big fan of the live version of The Brazilian as well, good call.  I'm partial to the self-titled, though the drum sound wears thin after a while.  The only song I don't like on that album is "That's All", one of my least favorite Genesis songs ever.   (By the way, it's worth seeking out the extended version of "It's Gonna Get Better", the last song on the record.)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #889 on: September 18, 2018, 10:49:24 AM »
I often read that people don't like That's All, but for me its almost the perfect pop song. And it has a cool little guitar solo in the end. Really love that song.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: September 18, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »
Chester Thompson, FYI.   Big fan of the live version of The Brazilian as well, good call.

Thank you for the name!  Also, I just read that "The Brazilian" received a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Instrumental Performance in 1986?  Impressive!  :o

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #891 on: September 18, 2018, 12:26:59 PM »
I can totally understand why people don't like That's All.  I personally never feel the urge to listen to it yet the fucking melody always pops into my head.  Anytime I say "That's all" or "that's enough" or any variation in conversation, the fucking song gets stuck in my head for about 3-58 days. 

Surprisingly I don't hate the song though. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #892 on: September 20, 2018, 07:55:33 PM »
Here's a fun little quiz with no right answer.

I'm ripping all my Genesis discs in FLAC to my new music library.   All CDs are listed by (among many other things) "genre".   

It occurs to me that the early PG stuff is definitely "progressive rock" and the later PC stuff is firmly in the straight "rock" category....maybe almost "pop", but "rock" is probably close enough.    But as I go through the albums, which album would YOU pick as the discontinuation of the "progressive" qualifier and THE definitive album where Genesis became a straight ahead "rock" band?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: September 20, 2018, 08:11:55 PM »
Genesis, the self-titled.

Other than it's not a concept, Abacab is in every sense of the word a progressive album.   Varying time signatures, odd lyrical content, suites (Dodo/Lurker, plus the two songs cut for b-sides, "Naminanu" and "Submarine"), non-standard song structures ("abacab" and particularly "Me And Sarah Jane", a song in five parts that are each played once and never repeat again, yet the song "sounds" almost straightforward).

I think Tony agrees with me (if you listen to the interviews accompanying the 5.1 box sets). 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #894 on: September 20, 2018, 10:02:03 PM »
I agree with Stadler.  abacab was the last progressive album as they moved more towards straight-up rock, and Genesis was the first rock album with one foot still in progressive.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #895 on: September 20, 2018, 10:21:37 PM »
That’s a great suggestion...as it also creates a neat line between boxed sets 2 and 3.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #896 on: September 21, 2018, 08:23:52 PM »
That’s a great suggestion...as it also creates a neat line between boxed sets 2 and 3.

I've got 2.

Never bothered with 1 or 3 even though the self-titled and Calling All Stations would be my favorites from that one. I figure either the originals or the first set of remasters are pretty much enough for me on those fronts.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #897 on: September 22, 2018, 02:03:38 AM »

I've got 2.

Never bothered with 1 or 3 even though the self-titled and Calling All Stations would be my favorites from that one. I figure either the originals or the first set of remasters are pretty much enough for me on those fronts.

The 5.1 mixes of boxed set #1 are worth the price all by themselves.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: September 22, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »
Ytse, as someone that strikes me as a completist, it depends on whether you want the 5.1 mixes or not.  Bear in mind that Nick Davis had to remix the stereo mixes too (so they are slightly different) but for me the 5.1 mixes are essential (other than Crimson, the best I've ever heard) and the sound improvement on both 1 and 3 are meaningful (1 is more clear and dynamic, and 3 has a little more substance to both self titled and Invisible Touch).  I don't think I'd drop $100 on them if you're not into the 5.1, but if you can find them in a pawn shop or something, they'd be worth it to have.

I'm assuming you have most of the "bonus" stuff - Shepperton, some of the 90's rehearsal footage, the b-sides - anyway, but there's that too.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #899 on: September 23, 2018, 12:05:13 AM »
On the topic of the Genesis box sets, one of my major gripes with the S/T-CAS box set is that not ALL of the CAS b-sides made the cut, which seems like a huge oversight. Not that the five missing tracks are at all spectacular, but having them for completion's sake would have been nice. They gave us practically everything else with regards to b-side material for everything prior to CAS...ah well.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #900 on: September 23, 2018, 07:04:14 AM »
I found that interesting as well.  But then, I was surprised when I found out how much unused material there was from the last album.  I never bothered doing the math, but I think there's more that they didn't use than what they put on the album.  And it all has that "unfinished" feel to it.  Like demos that they never quite polished up, which makes it all the more disappointing.  I thought that CAS had a lot of potential, but I rarely listen to it because it all sounds like it's not quite ready, not quite finished, especially the way nearly everything fades out, sometimes right in the middle of a verse or instrumental.

If they'd spent more time polishing up the keepers and less time apparently recording everything they'd cooked up, I think the album could have been really good.  As it is, I think it's just okay, and overall a bit disappointing considering the potential.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #901 on: September 30, 2018, 12:32:36 PM »
Ytse, as someone that strikes me as a completist, it depends on whether you want the 5.1 mixes or not.  Bear in mind that Nick Davis had to remix the stereo mixes too (so they are slightly different) but for me the 5.1 mixes are essential (other than Crimson, the best I've ever heard) and the sound improvement on both 1 and 3 are meaningful (1 is more clear and dynamic, and 3 has a little more substance to both self titled and Invisible Touch).  I don't think I'd drop $100 on them if you're not into the 5.1, but if you can find them in a pawn shop or something, they'd be worth it to have.

I'm assuming you have most of the "bonus" stuff - Shepperton, some of the 90's rehearsal footage, the b-sides - anyway, but there's that too.

Correct. Not a 5.1 guy (Though I totally agree with you on the Crimson. To me that's the standard but the music has as much to do with that than anything else.)

I may eventually get the 3rd box as there's still enough on there that I'd listen to heavily.   No point for getting Box 1 for me because I'm lucky if I pull out a Gabriel-Genesis album but one or two times a year. (Have all of the '94 releases and kept the originals. (Collins era only on the originals.)

I've got Archive 2 (Wife has Archive 1 but I can't remember the last time I listened to it.) Have the Longs and Shorts  live set. (Though that's not really in my wheelhouse either.)  A few choice bootllegs (Again '76 to '84"

So I guess not really a Genesis completist (Unless we're talking maybe 76 to '98?)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #902 on: September 30, 2018, 12:35:11 PM »
I found that interesting as well.  But then, I was surprised when I found out how much unused material there was from the last album.  I never bothered doing the math, but I think there's more that they didn't use than what they put on the album.  And it all has that "unfinished" feel to it.  Like demos that they never quite polished up, which makes it all the more disappointing.  I thought that CAS had a lot of potential, but I rarely listen to it because it all sounds like it's not quite ready, not quite finished, especially the way nearly everything fades out, sometimes right in the middle of a verse or instrumental.

If they'd spent more time polishing up the keepers and less time apparently recording everything they'd cooked up, I think the album could have been really good.  As it is, I think it's just okay, and overall a bit disappointing considering the potential.

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a box of this stuff either, but I realize I'm on of the few.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #903 on: March 22, 2019, 01:13:43 PM »
SEMI-NECRO POST!!

Still Not Dead Yet

I love English humour sometimes.  The Still Not Dead Yet Tour.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #904 on: March 22, 2019, 09:29:34 PM »
White Mountain covered in Italian?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxTvIr415xQ

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #905 on: September 30, 2019, 04:40:31 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: September 30, 2019, 08:05:00 AM »
My only comment is going to sound like a massive burn, but it's not (though it's not really my personal preference):  The band is very VERY good, but it sounds like Mike Portnoy is sitting in with the band, and not Phil.  One of the most beautiful things about Genesis - for me, anyway - is the way the instruments sat with each other.  Phil didn't compete with Tony, who didn't compete with Mike, etc., and here the drums look to be in the same sort of sonic space as the guitars.   Genesis (in my opinion) was very influenced by Zeppelin in that way and after seeing Steve Hackett live earlier this week playing Selling England... in it's entirety, I'm pretty convinced that had some role in his leaving.   

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #907 on: September 30, 2019, 02:29:31 PM »
My only comment is going to sound like a massive burn, but it's not (though it's not really my personal preference):  The band is very VERY good, but it sounds like Mike Portnoy is sitting in with the band, and not Phil.  One of the most beautiful things about Genesis - for me, anyway - is the way the instruments sat with each other.  Phil didn't compete with Tony, who didn't compete with Mike, etc., and here the drums look to be in the same sort of sonic space as the guitars.   Genesis (in my opinion) was very influenced by Zeppelin in that way and after seeing Steve Hackett live earlier this week playing Selling England... in it's entirety, I'm pretty convinced that had some role in his leaving.
I see what you mean by that, but Genesis were the exact opposite (musically speaking) IMHO. Btw, Genesis were the first ever prog band I discovered at age 2 (them and Yes as well, but they were the first band for me. DT came along a lot later, at age 8) and I love them to bits to this day. Never saw them live, sadly. Anyway, massively influential band for Prog as a whole IMHO (and criminally underrated as musicians too IMHO, especially Banksie and PC)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: September 30, 2019, 02:41:56 PM »
I see what you mean by that, but Genesis were the exact opposite (musically speaking) IMHO. Btw, Genesis were the first ever prog band I discovered at age 2 (them and Yes as well, but they were the first band for me. DT came along a lot later, at age 8) and I love them to bits to this day. Never saw them live, sadly. Anyway, massively influential band for Prog as a whole IMHO (and criminally underrated as musicians too IMHO, especially Banksie and PC)

No argument; Genesis were at heart songwriters, who initially only played their instruments in support of their songcraft.  Zeppelin weren't about the song in that same way and while we can be critical of their "plagiarism", I think this sort of explains it.  They were about the performance, the feel and the vibe.  This is supported by the various interpolations and improvisations.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #909 on: September 30, 2019, 02:53:06 PM »
I agree. There is always a Genesis album I'm listening to every day, and today it was Abacab. (although I love all their albums and solo albums.) Reason being not just because it's fun and they're great and all that, but also that Phil was my first drumming hero and I always turn to him for inspiration. (and MM and Jeff Porcaro and some others, but Phil was the first one to leave a mark on me, his drum sound got me right away)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"