Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 144439 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #840 on: April 18, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »
@Dave:
No that is my whole collection :) It's about 800 records.

Ah, fair enough! I thought maybe you collected different copies/pressings of every album and Genesis-related solo project (I noticed Peter Gabriel's Real World Records logo on a few of them). There's a Pink Floyd fan on Youtube who has hundreds of Floyd vinyl, even though they only released 15 albums.

You have a great collection by the way. I love those Genesis box sets.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #841 on: April 18, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »
That's how I've always interpreted it.  It's a song about the end of something that was very cool, but it's the end and we should accept it.  And that's what it was until Tony and Mike couldn't help themselves and made Calling All Stations years later.

was a very big fan of the way Fading Lights was presented on stage (with just the three members playing).

I didn't realize that they did that.  Pretty cool, and a clear throwback to The Cinema Show, the instrumental section of which was always performed by just Tony, Mike, and Phil, even when Peter and Steve were still in the band.

And I didn't realize they did that. Why wouldn't they let Steve play on that part? Poor Steve.

I don't know if it was a matter of "letting" him play.  There's no guitar during that whole 7/8 jam, or if there is, he's just accenting or something.  I think of it as like when the singer leaves for a while when there's a long instrumental.  If there's no guitar, or keyboards or whatever, for an extended section, might as well take a break.  It was just a "special" thing they did during The Cinema Show jam.  Looking at it now, it's probably one of the many things that led to Steve feeling a bit like a less-than-full member of the band or something.

I just saw The Musical Box a couple weeks ago, and they recreate it like that, and it's the highlight of the show for me.  Really, really cool. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #842 on: April 18, 2018, 02:34:42 PM »
Cool!  Great that they do it that way, and of course I'd expect nothing less from The Musical Box.  I've never seen them, but have had many, many recommendations.  Their attention to detail is legendary.

Also, the jam itself is amazing.  Just the other day in the car, I was playing the live version from Seconds Out, and at one point I just exclaimed "Man, listen to Phil!" as he was doing some of his crazy "phils".  My wife of course agreed politely, wondering when someone would start singing again.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #843 on: April 18, 2018, 03:55:57 PM »
One more recommendation for The Musical Box.  I've seen them twice now and I think next year they're going to do the Lamb Lies Down in Broadway so I will see them for a third time definitely. 

As for We Can't Dance, I love it but then again, that was the first thing of theirs I heard as a kid so I didn't know for the longest time that their style had changed quite a bit.  I didn't even know Phil Collins was a drummer until 5 years ago when I started getting into the band (other than listening to I Can't Dance as a kid). 

Driving the Last Spike is an amazing song.  It is strange how perfectly the mood is set for the story that Phil tells.  Definitely not as crazy of a prog journey as their other, older songs, but still pretty prog when you think about it. 

I also agree that On the Shoreline should have been on the album.  Those two songs are among the best of Genesis.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: April 18, 2018, 04:53:00 PM »
I've seen TMB twice now; the first time there were a few mistakes that were kind of obvious and so my jury was out, though the "Peter Gabriel" was largely spot on (actually, creepily so).   This last time was musically PERFECT - "Tony" even nailed the intro to Firth of Fifth - and they did a 20-minute "suite" of The Lamb as an encore (with the historically correct "Genesis rarely played encores, and certainly none like this, but we're fashioning a new show for next year, and so as thanks for your support [it was their 20 or 25th anniversary the night I saw them] we're going to do a few more numbers for you", or something very very close to that).

They've done the Lamb before, for one tour; I missed it so I will be there next time for sure.

Small pet peeve:  BOTH TIMES, during Supper's Ready, "Peter" sang the "We watch in reverence, as Narcissus is turned to a flower" lyric, and there was the requisite pause...  and some douche nozzle behind me screams - OFF CUE - "A FLOWER!".  Even the singer was slightly annoyed, as he gave the cue and the band went into the Willow Farm section.   Also, I was third row, and there were two couples in front of me talking the whole show, and one of them left right before Supper's Ready - during the "story" intro - and so they stand up and they're hugging the other couple, and "Peter" had to pause for them as well.   I hate people. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #845 on: April 18, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »
I've seen TMB twice now; the first time there were a few mistakes that were kind of obvious and so my jury was out, though the "Peter Gabriel" was largely spot on (actually, creepily so).   This last time was musically PERFECT - "Tony" even nailed the intro to Firth of Fifth - and they did a 20-minute "suite" of The Lamb as an encore (with the historically correct "Genesis rarely played encores, and certainly none like this, but we're fashioning a new show for next year, and so as thanks for your support [it was their 20 or 25th anniversary the night I saw them] we're going to do a few more numbers for you", or something very very close to that).

They've done the Lamb before, for one tour; I missed it so I will be there next time for sure.

Small pet peeve:  BOTH TIMES, during Supper's Ready, "Peter" sang the "We watch in reverence, as Narcissus is turned to a flower" lyric, and there was the requisite pause...  and some douche nozzle behind me screams - OFF CUE - "A FLOWER!".  Even the singer was slightly annoyed, as he gave the cue and the band went into the Willow Farm section.   Also, I was third row, and there were two couples in front of me talking the whole show, and one of them left right before Supper's Ready - during the "story" intro - and so they stand up and they're hugging the other couple, and "Peter" had to pause for them as well.   I hate people.

The last show I was at two women fell asleep right across the aisle from me. One had a drink in her hand and spilled it. Fortunately it didn't get on anybody but herself. A guy in front of her actually turned around and took a picture of her. Then during' in supper's ready he stood up and started jamming. I don't blame him. I personally like standing at shows. As I understand it even in the 70s a genesis audience would sit the whole time so it was a little out of place but still I admired how into it he was. Then after three minutes he left to go get a beer. I don't understand people.

It's funny you mention Firth of Fifth because Tony fucked up and had to start over. Second time he nailed it. No noticeable mistakes during the rest of the show.

They did a Lamb encore too. The billing said we were one of only 6 shows or so that for that encore. Funny you were at one of the others.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #846 on: April 19, 2018, 01:41:13 AM »
@Dave:
No that is my whole collection :) It's about 800 records.

Ah, fair enough! I thought maybe you collected different copies/pressings of every album and Genesis-related solo project (I noticed Peter Gabriel's Real World Records logo on a few of them). There's a Pink Floyd fan on Youtube who has hundreds of Floyd vinyl, even though they only released 15 albums.

You have a great collection by the way. I love those Genesis box sets.

Thank you! Yeah, if the picture was in a higher resolution, you probably could identify a bunch of other stuff (like the DT box sets in the top row:) ), but the Gabriel albums are there yes. I even found New Blood at a local record store in Dresden (it's also not that easy to get anymore), but it's still at a friend's house since I don't live there anymore and asked him to pick it up for me.

I admire people who are that dedicated to collect hundreds of releases of one album, but I primarily buy records to listen to them. I sometimes buy an album that is not one of my absolute favorites, to complete a collection (I have had Invisible Touch for years, and I'm getting into it only recently), but usually I just want to listen to it. I have, however, a weakness for special editions and colored vinyl.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #847 on: April 19, 2018, 03:39:15 AM »

The last show I was at two women fell asleep right across the aisle from me. One had a drink in her hand and spilled it. Fortunately it didn't get on anybody but herself. A guy in front of her actually turned around and took a picture of her. Then during' in supper's ready he stood up and started jamming. I don't blame him. I personally like standing at shows. As I understand it even in the 70s a genesis audience would sit the whole time so it was a little out of place but still I admired how into it he was. Then after three minutes he left to go get a beer. I don't understand people.

When i went to see a Genesis tribute a few years ago with a friend we had a similar issue with people talking. Just throughout the entire show they were chatting among themselves, even throughout the entire intro to Firth Of Fifth. It was only a small venue so not really the sort of place where that sort of thing is easily drowned out either, incredibly annoying.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #848 on: April 20, 2018, 03:05:56 AM »

When i went to see a Genesis tribute a few years ago with a friend we had a similar issue with people talking. Just throughout the entire show they were chatting among themselves, even throughout the entire intro to Firth Of Fifth. It was only a small venue so not really the sort of place where that sort of thing is easily drowned out either, incredibly annoying.

And what have we learnt from this? Concerts would be great experiences if it weren't for other human beings. Like a lot of things in life, they make the experience less enjoyable.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #849 on: April 20, 2018, 03:31:07 AM »

And what have we learnt from this? Concerts would be great experiences if it weren't for other human beings. Like a lot of things in life, they make the experience less enjoyable.

Would you like to stand in an arena listening to a band ALONE? That would surely suck.
I would say, Concerts would be great experiences if it weren't for the bad behavior of some other human beings.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: April 20, 2018, 07:50:45 AM »
A guy in front of her actually turned around and took a picture of her. Then during' in supper's ready he stood up and started jamming. I don't blame him. I personally like standing at shows. As I understand it even in the 70s a genesis audience would sit the whole time so it was a little out of place but still I admired how into it he was. Then after three minutes he left to go get a beer. I don't understand people.

There was a guy like that at my second show; in the lobby before hand, there were two young dudes, clearly their first show, and one asked the other abuot something, and this guy - by himself, shorter guy, looked a little crazy, but it wasn't me - went into about seventy times more detail than these kids were looking for - talking about variations to the setlist and this and that - and then during the show, he was actually across the aisle from the douches in front of me.  During... it was either Watcher or Dancing, probably Watcher, he  was air drumming and spasm-ing so much that it was shaking the whole row of seats.   The security came over, whispered in his ear, and he sort of calmed down.  Two songs later, he's out to get beer.  Go figure. 

This stuff is distracting at a show like Musical Box, especially where I saw them, because it's small and it's all seated.  I couldn't miss the douches in front of me because it was LITERALLY right in front of me, and the security guard was maybe 5, 6 feet from me when he spoke to the over-zealous fan (again, it wasn't me).   :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:57:00 AM by Stadler »

Offline DTA

« Reply #851 on: April 20, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »
Reminds me a Marillion show I saw near Philly a year and a half ago. People would not stop going back and forth all night to get beer/pee. ALL NIGHT. It was so distracting. The singer even commented on how many people were up and about rather than remaining seated. I had to tell a guy to sit down or move to the side because he was the only bozo standing up in the seated area and he happened to be right in front of me and I was beyond pissed off at that point. Can't people enjoy a concert anymore without drinking endless beer?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: April 20, 2018, 09:39:20 AM »
Was that the "FEAR" show at the Keswick?  I was there for that.   I remember  him saying something, but I wasn't close enough to know what was up.  I was to the left of the stage, and I stood in the aisle for about half the show (I didn't want the people I was with to see me lose it during Neverland) and people kept walking by me the whole time.

It's a fucking hour and 45 minutes.  You'd think people could sit still for that short period.   I'm old enough to remember when it was actually RUDE to get up while someone was performing.   

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #853 on: April 20, 2018, 10:42:48 AM »
I agree with everything said though I will add, and this may be an unpopular opinion, that it's also kind of rude to sit during a concert when the band literally tells you to stand.  I was at Uriah Heep and this happened. I get it, it sucks to stand for an hour and a half. I'm getting older so I'm feeling it myself and I did sit during a few down times, but a band like Heep requires more audience participation. 

Fortunately I didn't get much flack but a dude behind me that wasn't even sitting in the right seat asked if I would try to keep a line of sight for him and not move too far to one side. Polite, I guess, so I tried to oblige.

I would say at a concert like this, if you want to sit, the balcony is where you should be.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #854 on: April 20, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »
I'm too old now to stand for an entire concert :lol, so I will usually pick my spots.  I am not going to stand for a whole concert because the band tells me to, but if someone in front of me wants to stand and rock out, have at it. 

Now, talking a lot during a concert is really obnoxious, and, yes, the dopes who view concerts as another occasion to get drunk and act stupid are the worst.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #855 on: April 21, 2018, 01:53:16 AM »
People should be tested before buying tickets. Are you going to actually pay more attention to the show than your friends/your phone etc.? If you're going to spend large parts of the show talking to your friends, you might as well have spent your ticket money on an evening somewhere more sociable, like a restaurant or a pub.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #856 on: April 21, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »
People should be tested before buying tickets. Are you going to actually pay more attention to the show than your friends/your phone etc.? If you're going to spend large parts of the show talking to your friends, you might as well have spent your ticket money on an evening somewhere more sociable, like a restaurant or a pub.

Exactly!  Of course now events are so corporate that even the hardcore fans can usually only get seats as close as 5-15 rows back because everything else is given to sponsors of the arena/theater/etc. It used to be if you were hardcore enough, you spent the night at the venue and were rewarded by front row seats.  Now, if the corporate sponsors can't give their tickets away they open them up a day before the event and slackers can find themselves up front.

I'm too old now to stand for an entire concert :lol, so I will usually pick my spots.  I am not going to stand for a whole concert because the band tells me to, but if someone in front of me wants to stand and rock out, have at it. 

Fair enough.  If I can't get a good seat and I know the audience probably won't stand unless they're on the floor, sometimes I will actually choose last row so I can stand as I see fit and not have to worry about pissing people off.  Of course, if everyone is sitting I'm not going to be the odd man out and try to prove a point. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #857 on: April 21, 2018, 01:18:57 PM »
Same here.  There have been times at various shows where I was a bit frustrated because no one was standing up and I wanted to get up and rock out, but I am not going to be the asshole standing in a section where everyone else is sitting down.  Sometimes though, you can stand up and the dominoes fall where people around you slowly rise as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: April 22, 2018, 08:39:18 PM »

Can you see that at the door? 

"Okay, sir, I see you're in Section 1; Section 1 is to the left and down.  But before you go, who is the lead singer?   What is the title track of the band's third album (trick question: there IS no title track to the band's third album!), and finally, who did the current drummer replace?" 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #859 on: April 27, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »
Reminds me a Marillion show I saw near Philly a year and a half ago. People would not stop going back and forth all night to get beer/pee. ALL NIGHT. It was so distracting. The singer even commented on how many people were up and about rather than remaining seated. I had to tell a guy to sit down or move to the side because he was the only bozo standing up in the seated area and he happened to be right in front of me and I was beyond pissed off at that point. Can't people enjoy a concert anymore without drinking endless beer?

I was there too. 

I'm probably in the minority on this but I only go to see the band. I don't need to be entertained in any other way. I just get off on that.

Don't need to be there if the band doesn't do it for me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #860 on: April 27, 2018, 07:07:00 PM »
I would like to keep this discussion up, so: I have been listening to We Can't Dance the past days (I know right, he gets the green box sets and then listens to WCD!?) and I think it's actually a pretty good album. It doesn't have the triggered, programmed (whatever you want to call it) drums from Invisible Touch and Genesis. I am talking about those specific sounds in Second Home By The Sea, Silver Rainbow, Invisible Touch, Tonight, etc. The drums here are overproduced as hell (as is the whole album) but I think it just sounds awesome. The first time I really listened to No Son Of Mine and the snare came in like a slap in the face - I was pretty impressed. If a snare is triggered - please trigger it like this.

Plus, the album has some great songs. The mentioned No So Son of mine is way too long and thought through to be a single, but still it was one - and a huge hit at that. Jesus He Knows Me is saved by Phils groovy drumming and belongs in the funny, sarcastic department of Robber, Assault, Just A Job, Harold The Barrel, Scenes From A Night's Dream. I even like Tell Me Why quite a bit, the harmonies are not stupid (Tony!) and it grooves. Sure, lyrics are a little flat, but still a good song. Did I say groove? Listen to the last minutes of Living Forever. Two of the best minutes of the album. This is a great example of how few Collins needs to make something groove. And the ending fill is awesome. Man what a drummer.
There's also two 10 minute songs, of which I personally like Fading Lights better. The keyboard solo (Tony!) in the middle reminds of older days. The whole song sounds like a swan song - which it was for in retrospective for the trio (not sure if they knew so though).
Dreaming While You Sleep is a Mama/In The Air Tonight like song (I dont want to say copy): drum machine, Collins eery vocals, HUGE toms, cymbal-free drums. I gotta say I also like Hold On My Heart, because of Tonys unconventional harmonies (Tony!).

There are two songs I would have included into the album: On The Shoreline and Hearts On Fire, which should have replaced Never A Time and Since I Lost You or Way Of The World imo. Two awesome tunes.

This got a bit out of hand I didn't want to write so much but then I did :-D
What do you think about this album? I think it's a bit underrated among Genesis and Prog fans, but in a lot of ways it takes more time to build up songs and set moods than the loud, happy, dancy Invisible Touch. And it's not really a prog-free album.

The only reason I have We Can't Dance is that I found it in the used bin for a dollar a few years back and I had everything else so I couldn't justify not buying it.  I really don't listen to it much. Some of it is OK, but the stuff I like from it like Dreaming While You Sleep or Fading Lights is on Archive 2 or the live album so I'll pull out those CDs more.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: May 01, 2018, 10:01:17 AM »

I was there too. 

I'm probably in the minority on this but I only go to see the band. I don't need to be entertained in any other way. I just get off on that.

I'll have a beer or two at the show, and if I'm meeting people maybe a couple more before, but I haven't been truly wasted at a show for over 25 years.  I can do that on my porch, I don't need to spend $100 and drive an hour to do that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #862 on: May 02, 2018, 07:11:17 PM »

I was there too. 

I'll have a beer or two at the show, and if I'm meeting people maybe a couple more before, but I haven't been truly wasted at a show for over 25 years.  I can do that on my porch, I don't need to spend $100 and drive an hour to do that.

True.

A lot of people in the US seems to go to concerts more as something to do rather than having a serious interest in seeing a band in concert.   Oddly enough, having lost interest pro hockey (or maybe even baseball) if I go it's more of a social thing with friends where I don't pay much attention to the game. So I get why people do it, but I just place more emphasis these days on music (always have) but I'm just not all that interested in sports anymore and would rather choose more enjoyable experiences when it's up to me.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #863 on: May 07, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »
Phil Collins NA Tour Dates. 

I likely will try and see him for the 1st time in Minneapolis.

https://philcollins.com/

10/05 – Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ BB&T Center
10/07 – Washington, DC @ Capital One Arena
10/08 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center
10/09 – Boston, MA @ TD Garden
10/11 – Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
10/13 – Newark, NJ @ Prudential Center
10/14 – Brooklyn, NY @ Barclays Center
10/16 – Montreal, QC @ Centre Bell
10/18 – Cleveland, OH @ Quicken loans Arena
10/19 – Columbus, OH @ Nationwide Arena
10/21 – Minneapolis, MN @ Target Center
10/22 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
10/25 – Oakland, CA @ Oracle Arena
10/27 – Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Grand Garden Arena
10/28 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #864 on: May 24, 2018, 08:56:06 PM »
Bought Wind & Wuthering for $5 yesterday. Already in love with it. Really underrated. If ...And Then There Were Three... is great then every 70s Genesis album is great.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #865 on: May 24, 2018, 09:48:25 PM »
I like ...And Then There Were Three..., but that album was also the first studio album of their that I heard.  I was able to appreciate it without comparing it to the more complex stuff which came before it, because I was just getting into them.  From there, I was also able to observe the continued evolution of the band into the 80's and beyond, and to explore the proggier back catalog as well.  I honestly don't feel that it's a horrible weak link or anything like a lot of Genesis fans seems to think.  It's a transitional album.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #866 on: May 25, 2018, 06:37:33 AM »
There are some fantastic songs on ATTWT, such as Down and Out, Undertow (such a beautiful chorus, probably Banks' greatest), Burning Rope, The Lady Lies and the very original 'pop' song Follow You Follow Me. Some of what remains isn't the strongest quality in my opinion, placing it low down on my Genesis album ranking, but as Orbert wrote it's definitely an important step in the evolution of the band. It's actually a fascinating album because it's so uneven, it's like listening to the band trying to find their new voice as a 3-piece, something they would master to perfection on the next album Duke.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #867 on: May 25, 2018, 08:31:18 AM »
Absolutely.  Duke is my favorite.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: May 25, 2018, 08:33:59 AM »
There are some fantastic songs on ATTWT, such as Down and Out, Undertow (such a beautiful chorus, probably Banks' greatest), Burning Rope, The Lady Lies and the very original 'pop' song Follow You Follow Me. Some of what remains isn't the strongest quality in my opinion, placing it low down on my Genesis album ranking, but as Orbert wrote it's definitely an important step in the evolution of the band. It's actually a fascinating album because it's so uneven, it's like listening to the band trying to find their new voice as a 3-piece, something they would master to perfection on the next album Duke.

I think this is right; I don't think we get Duke or Abacab (two of my three favorite Genesis albums, along with W&W) if it wasn't for ATTWT.   I actually like all of it, except for "Say It's Alright Joe".   

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #869 on: May 25, 2018, 08:50:10 AM »
"Say It's Alright Joe" doesn't thrill me overall, but I like the idea, and that outro is awesome.  I usually don't like fade-outs, because usually it's some variation on "repeat this over and over" but I like the kind where it keeps going and changing and the idea is that it's still going... out there... somewhere...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #870 on: May 25, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »
ATTWT doesn't really have any top tier, or even second tier, Genesis songs, IMO, but I still like these songs a lot:

Down and Out
Undertow
Burning Rope
Deep in the Motherlode
Many Too Many

Those songs alone make it a worthy record.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #871 on: May 26, 2018, 01:49:51 PM »
I really like And Then There Were Three, I just wish it sounded better.

I've never been happy with the way it sounds to the point where -- and I guess this is no surprise coming from me -- the live versions have always sounded superior.

Sort of related, I found a CD copy of A Trick Of The Tail (the original Atco Made In Japan) in the used bin last weekend and I had no idea this album sounded this good.

I had only ever heard the Atlantic (I think it was Atlantic) which I ditched when the '94 remaster (which I think sounds OK) came out.

But it sounds nothing like this.  I don't think there is a comparable version of And Then There Were Three out there, but I sure wish there was.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #872 on: May 27, 2018, 10:20:28 AM »
I think a lot of the warmth in Genesis sound went "missing" when Steve left. Starting with Three..., Tony's keyboards were not only dominating their sound, they were the only harmony instrument in the band (apart from the few Rutherford guitar sections). Plus, the 80s weren't that far away anymore at that time, and warmer sounds like mellotron and organ got out of style.

I have the first vinyl release and a 2007 remastered version. The latter sounds a lot better, and has more warmth in my opinion.

But yeah, Trick (and also Selling England) sound absolutely fantastic.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #873 on: May 28, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
I like ...And Then There Were Three..., but that album was also the first studio album of their that I heard.  I was able to appreciate it without comparing it to the more complex stuff which came before it, because I was just getting into them.  From there, I was also able to observe the continued evolution of the band into the 80's and beyond, and to explore the proggier back catalog as well.  I honestly don't feel that it's a horrible weak link or anything like a lot of Genesis fans seems to think.  It's a transitional album.

Yeah, I have a very similar opinion about Fates Warning's Darkness in a Different Light album. It's not bad by any stretch, but it definitely felt- and still feels- underwhelming when you consider that it was the first album from the band in nine years and that only a couple years prior, most of the same musicians had put out the similar yet vastly superior Arch/Matheos album Sympathetic Resonance. A lot of hype that the final product didn't quite live up to... and then two and a half years later, the band followed up with Theories of Flight, which is one of the best albums the band's ever put out in general- much like Genesis put out Duke after ATTWT.

You can hear how the band evolved into the final product from those stepping stones. The album has growing pains because, as you said, it's a transitional album.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #874 on: May 28, 2018, 10:16:38 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys. I decided to blind-buy ATTWT and Duke. Looking forward to listening to them. I do already know and like Follow You Follow Me and Turn It On Again.