Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 146448 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #525 on: July 20, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »
"Ray Wilson's GENYSIS"

That's a total money grab, and pretty pathetic.  Blaze Bayley and Paul DiAnno toured down here a few years back but at least they were playing the Maiden songs they actually recorded. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #526 on: July 21, 2015, 02:13:52 AM »
Wot? Naaawwww  :omg:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #527 on: July 21, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »
I listened to one of Ray Wilson's albums once. Huge emphasis on "once". Also,will watch the documentary tonight. Will report later.
So yeah it was a pretty alright documentary besides the obvious clash between couple of the members and the dismissal of Steve Hackett. (whose solo work imo is better than all the members besides Gabriel) Also this documentary pretty much confirms that there will never be a tour of The Lamb. (Banks wouldn't be too hyped i think and can Phil even drum anymore?)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #528 on: July 21, 2015, 01:45:54 PM »
I listened to one of Ray Wilson's albums once. Huge emphasis on "once". Also,will watch the documentary tonight. Will report later.
So yeah it was a pretty alright documentary besides the obvious clash between couple of the members and the dismissal of Steve Hackett. (whose solo work imo is better than all the members besides Gabriel) Also this documentary pretty much confirms that there will never be a tour of The Lamb. (Banks wouldn't be too hyped i think and can Phil even drum anymore?)

I'm pretty sure Phil's already said that he can't play the drums anymore and footage of him playing a piano/singing in his private studio back in 2006/2007 shows that he could just barely do that too. I feel awful for him about that, because he was insanely gifted as a musician.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: October 29, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/phil_collins_has_returned_to_music_but_dont_expect_a_genesis_reunion.html

Mere five days after undergoing a major back surgery, Phil Collins has announced that he's returning to the world of music after a four-year break.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #530 on: October 29, 2015, 08:30:16 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/phil_collins_has_returned_to_music_but_dont_expect_a_genesis_reunion.html

Mere five days after undergoing a major back surgery, Phil Collins has announced that he's returning to the world of music after a four-year break.

I'd go see him in a theater with a piano.

Check out the "Face Value" Classic Albums doc, there is a very cool clip of him doing "Please Don't Ask" just solo on piano.  Absolutely heart-breaking. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #531 on: October 29, 2015, 11:22:03 AM »
I would have to see the setlist first. If he plays older tunes I'd go, but I'm not too interested in the Tarzan-era PC.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: October 29, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »
Anyone follow The Musical Box?  Anyone know what "The Black Show" is?   

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #533 on: October 29, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »
The last I heard about Collins, that back pain among other things had left him in a state of super depression, so I'm really happy seeing him come back like this.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #534 on: October 29, 2015, 02:29:27 PM »
Apparently on part of the Selling England tour they modified their stage setup and that is what they are referring to.  I don't remember all of the differences but I believe Black Lights were used a lot more in that version.  I think there was a difference in the screens behind the band as well.  I actually saw the Musical Box do the "black show" back in '97.  I haven't seen the normal show though and with it being so long ago I'm forgetting the details.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: October 30, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »
Apparently on part of the Selling England tour they modified their stage setup and that is what they are referring to.  I don't remember all of the differences but I believe Black Lights were used a lot more in that version.  I think there was a difference in the screens behind the band as well.  I actually saw the Musical Box do the "black show" back in '97.  I haven't seen the normal show though and with it being so long ago I'm forgetting the details.

Worth going?

Offline snowdog

« Reply #536 on: October 30, 2015, 09:12:18 AM »
If you're a fan of the Gabriel era of Genesis, I would absolutely recommend seeing the Musical Box.  I've seen the Black Show for SEBTP, The Lamb, and Foxtrot shows over the years.  All of the shows have been awesome.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #537 on: October 30, 2015, 09:25:07 AM »
I saw them many years back, and it was incredible.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #538 on: October 31, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
Random post:

Over the last few years, the Genesis album I go for the most is Duke. 

I've never called it one of my favorite Genesis records, but I think it is time I do so.  It's so good. :coolio

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #539 on: October 31, 2015, 09:19:40 PM »
Good for you!  :tup

It's my favorite, too.  Has been for a long time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #540 on: October 31, 2015, 09:23:25 PM »
It's very consistent and just a pleasure to listen to from start to finish.  It's an effortless listen.  No, its highs aren't as high as some of the other records (there is no Cinema Show, In the Cage or Supper's Ready), but there are no lows.  It's similar in quality and consistency to A Trick of the Tail.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #541 on: November 01, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »
I was about to say "What about Whodunnit? That song's a turd" but then I realized it's on Abacab :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #542 on: November 01, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
So the band I'm in (which incredibly has not self-destructed yet) is going to add "Turn It On Again" to the list.  I put it out there, and it got enough support to make the latest "let's try it" list.  Not all songs that make the "let's try it" list make the final set list, but it's a good start.  We have to try to do some more challenging songs, and this is a good song, much tougher than it sounds.  I also put "Abacab" out there, but not only is it even harder, but it didn't get as much support.  Those two things might be related.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: November 02, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »
For what it is worth, if I was to list my three favorite Genesis albums...

Abacab
Wind and Wuthering
The Lamb

Duke would be next on the list.   (This isn't including live albums). 

Kev, if you are a fan, you might want to seek out the "Classic Albums" documentary on "Face Value".  On there, Phil does a solo version of PLease Don't Ask with just a keyboard that is heartbreaking.  Famously, he presented a number of songs (Misunderstanding, Please Don't Ask, In The Air Tonight, and I Missed Again) to the band, and they settled on Misunderstanding and Please Don't Ask. 

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #544 on: November 02, 2015, 07:33:52 AM »
Duke is a really great album but the two Phil Colllins songs (Please Don't Ask, Misunderstanding) sound a little bit out of place and would be better placed on a Phil solo record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #545 on: November 03, 2015, 12:23:47 PM »
I would have to see the setlist first. If he plays older tunes I'd go, but I'm not too interested in the Tarzan-era PC.

I'd go either way; I grew up on his Tarzan material! :lol

My reaction to hearing a Genesis song for the first time was literally, "Wait, is that the guy who did the music in Tarzan?" So his role with Disney led me to discovering his Genesis material and from there, his work in the prog era. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: November 03, 2015, 01:32:19 PM »

I'd go either way; I grew up on his Tarzan material! :lol

My reaction to hearing a Genesis song for the first time was literally, "Wait, is that the guy who did the music in Tarzan?" So his role with Disney led me to discovering his Genesis material and from there, his work in the prog era. :tup

Same for my daughter.   She couldn't pronounce "Collins", so he will forever be "Phil Connix" in my family, but she is even kicking around going to see the Musical Box with me in February.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #547 on: December 06, 2015, 11:40:26 AM »
Been listening to Three Sides Live in the car last week.

Those versions of Abacab and the Duke Suite back to back like that is just killer.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #548 on: December 06, 2015, 08:27:12 PM »
Agreed.  The live version of Abacab smokes.  I love how they've refined the jam at the end into a real structured piece that builds up to a great ending.

If you ever get a chance to check out the bootleg from May 7, 1980 at the Lyceum Ballroom, you should.  That's the soundboard from which a lot of Three Sides Live was taken, and it includes all six parts of Duke, played in order as a true suite.  Excellent quality.  One of the few bootlegs I've ever bothered keeping.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #549 on: December 06, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
Wasn't that tour the last time they performed Supper's Ready?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #550 on: December 06, 2015, 10:10:33 PM »
Possibly, but it's not on the bootleg, and I don't think they switched up set lists very much.  They may have had Supper's Ready in the set list and dropped it at some point, though.

According to Wiki, 1982 was the last time Supper's Ready was played live in its entirety.  I don't know if they played it every tour until then, but if there was a tour where they didn't include it, 1980 would be the one.  Genesis saw Duke as akin to Supper's Ready in that it would be a side-long epic, so they intentionally broke it up on the studio album to avoid direct comparisons.  The 1980 tour was the only tour featuring Duke in its entirety, so as I say, this would be the tour to not play Supper's Ready.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: December 07, 2015, 02:12:01 AM »
Been listening to Three Sides Live in the car last week.

Those versions of Abacab and the Duke Suite back to back like that is just killer.

It's probably my favourite live album from them, Seconds Out is great too.

I'm rocking my new Genesis shirt today, btw.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: December 07, 2015, 06:29:07 AM »
Possibly, but it's not on the bootleg, and I don't think they switched up set lists very much.  They may have had Supper's Ready in the set list and dropped it at some point, though.

According to Wiki, 1982 was the last time Supper's Ready was played live in its entirety.  I don't know if they played it every tour until then, but if there was a tour where they didn't include it, 1980 would be the one.  Genesis saw Duke as akin to Supper's Ready in that it would be a side-long epic, so they intentionally broke it up on the studio album to avoid direct comparisons.  The 1980 tour was the only tour featuring Duke in its entirety, so as I say, this would be the tour to not play Supper's Ready.

They played "Supper" on the support tour for Three Sides Live (not the tour that provided the material for 3SL, but the tour done after the release of the album). 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #553 on: December 07, 2015, 06:42:13 AM »
Ha ha, that actually made me chuckle.  They toured to support a live album.  I don't know... that just strikes me as funny.  Of course, the original version of Three Sides Live had a fourth side of unreleased (in the U.S.) studio material, but it still seems weird.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #554 on: December 07, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
Agreed.  The live version of Abacab smokes.  I love how they've refined the jam at the end into a real structured piece that builds up to a great ending.

If you ever get a chance to check out the bootleg from May 7, 1980 at the Lyceum Ballroom, you should.  That's the soundboard from which a lot of Three Sides Live was taken, and it includes all six parts of Duke, played in order as a true suite.  Excellent quality.  One of the few bootlegs I've ever bothered keeping.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit the amount of times I regularly hit the back button on Abacab on that CD when it's done.

I have the DVD. Might be my favorite Genesis live DVD ever.  Been a while since I've had it on, however.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #555 on: December 07, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
Ha ha, that actually made me chuckle.  They toured to support a live album.  I don't know... that just strikes me as funny.  Of course, the original version of Three Sides Live had a fourth side of unreleased (in the U.S.) studio material, but it still seems weird.

Rush toured All The World's A Stage and Exit...Stage Left but I'm sure they weren't the only band that did that back then.

I have both Three Sides Live releases. Sold back my original after getting the 1994 remaster and released I had to find another original because it had the UK track listing. There should really be a release that has both I suppose.

I've learned the hard way not to sell anything back until I've listened to the new release.

More often than not though, I end up keeping more than one because the differences are interesting enough.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #556 on: December 07, 2015, 07:31:26 PM »
I used to work with a guy who had the opinion that once a band toured on a live album, they were done, but he was a total grunge guy and hated any kind of arty rock, so he wasn't exactly a trustworthy guy when it came to musical opinions. :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: December 08, 2015, 08:08:48 AM »
I question that logic, because for bands like Genesis and Rush, who like to put a LOT of new material in a set once an album comes out, touring a live album is a great way to sort of celebrate the catalogue a bit.  Both the 3SL and E...SL are notable for the inclusions to the setlists. 

As for me, I generally do not like medleys (though not as strenuously as Petrucci, apparently) but the medley after
"In The Cage" is likely my single favorite recorded moment in music.  Phil and Chester drumming away, Tony going crazy...

<Stadler runs to put that on right now...>

Offline snowdog

« Reply #558 on: December 08, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »
As for me, I generally do not like medleys (though not as strenuously as Petrucci, apparently) but the medley after
"In The Cage" is likely my single favorite recorded moment in music.  Phil and Chester drumming away, Tony going crazy...
When I see a live show a Medley usually isn't great seeing as it means you miss a lot of the songs.  But I agree that one is really good.  Though I'm slightly partial to the one on the Mama tour where they included "In That Quiet Earth" as well.  And I think Genesis did a much better job with their transitions in their medleys than other bands do.

As for Supper's Ready, I'm pretty sure it wasn't played on AttWT (though I might be wrong and I'm not at home to check any of my bootlegs), it wasn't played on the Duke or Abacab tours.  But it was done on the 3SL tour.  What I always found odd about that though is that Who Dunnit was very close in the setlist to it.  That is just so jarring. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: December 08, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »
What I always found odd about that though is that Who Dunnit was very close in the setlist to it.  That is just so jarring.

But that's Genesis, is it not?