Author Topic: The Flaming Lips  (Read 5689 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Flaming Lips
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:53:14 PM »
Who's a fan?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: The Flaming Lips
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 01:55:52 PM »
I love this band.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 02:03:13 PM »
Heard the new record? 

Seen the new video?  It is NSFW, as there is lots of nakedness in it. :lol  https://www.nme.com/video/bcid/49582897001 (mods, I apologize if this is inappropriate; if it is, please remove it). 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »
No I haven't heard it yet. Is it good?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »
It is quite good, yes.  I am still trying to fully digest it, although I am so overwhelmed with new stuff I am loving right now (PT, Devin, TA, etc.), that it is hard finding time to give everything its proper due. 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »
Yea I feel the same way.

It's a double album too, so there's twice as much to digest.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline MS394

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 09:05:21 PM »
The Soft Bulletin is easily one of the most brilliant albums I have ever heard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 09:10:51 PM »
It's a double album too, so there's twice as much to digest.

Eh, it's not really a double album.  18 songs and 70+ minutes.  Not sure why it was called a double album, but it is on one CD.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 12:42:48 AM »
It is quite good, yes.  I am still trying to fully digest it, although I am so overwhelmed with new stuff I am loving right now (PT, Devin, TA, etc.), that it is hard finding time to give everything its proper due. 

I feel the same. I heard it once in a drunken stupor but I did like what I heard despite a lot of straight up electronica stuff. The range of dynamics is pretty crazy.

Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin are must listens for anyone who likes music.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 05:18:04 AM »

I feel the same. I heard it once in a drunken stupor but I did like what I heard despite a lot of straight up electronica stuff. The range of dynamics is pretty crazy.

Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin are must listens for anyone who likes music.

I also like Clouds Taste Metallic.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 05:59:27 AM »
Race For The Prize and Fight Test are nice songs. Haven't heard that much aside from those.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
I didn't think it would be possible for The Flaming Lips to make an album better than Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, or even The Soft Bulletin, but man, Embryonic is a monster of an album, and it has become my new favorite.
It will probably turn off a lot of people, for their isn't a single pop tune or instantly catchy single in all of the 18 tracks. But I have confidence than anyone who has the patience and complexity to love Dream Theater will find the new album, Embryonic, very rewarding and powerful.
It definitely contains the trippiest, most drugged-out music they have done in years, and it's also very atmospheric and spooky. But much like their last three albums, there are many dreamy, beautiful, and cinematic elements.
It's an album that gets better with each listen so please GO BUY EMBYRONIC NOW!!! And if you want a little sneak preview, check out "Silver Trembling Hands" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiX-HDksbck

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 11:04:45 PM »
Just found out minutes ago that the Lips are coming to St. Louis in September.  HELL FREAKING YES! :tup :tup

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 03:20:43 AM »
Naw... I tried listening to them on CD before I played a festival with them in the UK and it did nothing for me, then I saw them live and was equally unimpressed. Maybe just not my kinda music. The lead singer is a cool guy though. He also went inside a giant bubble and walked across the crowd :D
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 09:21:01 AM »
Concert is tomorrow night.  wOOt! :tup :tup :tup :tup

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 09:30:58 AM »
Hope you have fun, Kev!

I just picked up the Soft Bulletin a couple of days ago.  Haven't listened to it yet, but I will.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 09:49:27 AM »
I've only heard Do You Realize?? by them but I like it alot! I'll have to pick some of their stuff...Any suggestion on the album I should get first? (not an album to get into them but their best work according to you)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:46 AM »
Hope you have fun, Kev!

Thanks, I will!  It is impossible to not have a great time at a Flaming Lips show. :coolio

I just picked up the Soft Bulletin a couple of days ago.  Haven't listened to it yet, but I will.

Sweet.  Let me know what you think. :)

I've only heard Do You Realize?? by them but I like it alot! I'll have to pick some of their stuff...Any suggestion on the album I should get first? (not an album to get into them but their best work according to you)

The Soft Bulletin.  That is widely considered their masterpiece, and rightly so. 

I would also highly recommend Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (the album that has "Do You Realize?"), At War with the Mystics (the fan base wasn't as overly crazy about this like I was, but oh well), and Embryonic (their latest, which is awesome, but can be a difficult and long hill to climb).

Offline robwebster

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »
Heard this band on Radio 1, of all places - they had a fifteen minute feature on them, with a fan who often gets on stage dressed as a pirate (?) or whatnot, and they sounded pretty cool.

So, yeah. Recommendations? What albums would appeal to what kind of a music fan?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »

The Soft Bulletin.  That is widely considered their masterpiece, and rightly so. 

I would also highly recommend Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (the album that has "Do You Realize?"), At War with the Mystics (the fan base wasn't as overly crazy about this like I was, but oh well), and Embryonic (their latest, which is awesome, but can be a difficult and long hill to climb).

OK then! Thanks! :tup

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
Heard this band on Radio 1, of all places - they had a fifteen minute feature on them, with a fan who often gets on stage dressed as a pirate (?) or whatnot, and they sounded pretty cool.

So, yeah. Recommendations? What albums would appeal to what kind of a music fan?

Don't know all their albums, but I bought Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and I loved it.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 02:59:29 PM »
Great band. Still have to listen to Embryonic and the PF cover album (which sounds interesting!).
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 09:52:35 AM »
Fantastic show, as expected; my brother and I both had a blast! :coolio

Set list was:

1. Worm Mountain
         2. Silver Trembling Hands
         3. She Don't Use Jelly
         4. The Sparrow Looks Up at the Machine
         5. In The Morning of the Magicians
         6. Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
         7. I Can Be a Frog
         8. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1
         9. See the Leaves
        10. The Ego's Last Stand
        11. Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung
        12. Sagittarius Silver Announcement
        13. The W.A.N.D.
        14. Encore:
        14. The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
        15. Encore 2:
        15. Do You Realize?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 09:57:18 AM »
Fantastic show, as expected; my brother and I both had a blast! :coolio

Set list was:

1. Worm Mountain
         2. Silver Trembling Hands
         3. She Don't Use Jelly
         4. The Sparrow Looks Up at the Machine
         5. In The Morning of the Magicians
         6. Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
         7. I Can Be a Frog
         8. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1
         9. See the Leaves
        10. The Ego's Last Stand
        11. Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung
        12. Sagittarius Silver Announcement
        13. The W.A.N.D.
        14. Encore:
        14. The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
        15. Encore 2:
        15. Do You Realize?

A friend told me he does not sing well live, is it true?   

Still a very fun band...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »
They played in The Morning of the Magicians?  Lucky dog.  That song is awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
A friend told me he does not sing well live, is it true?   

He struggles at times - I was somewhat disappointed by how weak some of his vocals sounded on the live DVD they released a couple years ago - but he does a good job more often than not.  Honestly, he is such a great showman and frontman, it doesn't really bother me.  The energy they get out of a crowd is unlike any other band I have ever seen.

They played in The Morning of the Magicians?  Lucky dog.  That song is awesome.

Indeed.  And what was great was, as soon as it was over, I said to my brother, "Now, they just need to play Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell and I'll be happy."  That was the next song.  Talk about calling it or what!  And, no, I hadn't cheated and looked at set lists prior to last night's show, as I wanted to go into this one cold, not knowing what they were gonna play.

Also, Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung was almost too good to be true.  Definitely the highlight of the night for both of us. :coolio

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 05:33:54 AM »
Yoshimi and TSB is all the material i've heard, but it's pretty damn awesome. I should listen to them more though as i'm not very familiar with either album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 11:09:47 PM »
BTW, for those of you who are familiar with the latest album and "I Can Be a Frog" in particular, you should have seen the performance of that song.  Their touring drummer stood up and each time Wayne sang a "I can be a insert the name of an animal" line, the drummer used his hands to mimic the animal and the crowd did it with him.  For example, "I can be a lion," the whole crowd roared like a lion.  Sounds corny, but trust me, it was awesome.  I love how so many of their songs are written with the intention of them being great live tunes that invite crowd participation...like the "hey hey" vocal fill after the second line of "Yoshimi... Part I" or the random vocal stuff in "Free Radicals."  Killer live stuff. :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »
New album in early April:

https://flaminglips.com/news/s/1946/the-flaming-lips-unleash-the-terror-on-april-2nd!/

The Flaming Lips will release their thirteenth studio album titled, The Terror, on April 2nd in the US and April 1st in Europe.

It is comprised of nine original compositions that reflect a darker-hued spectrum than previous works, along with a more inward-looking lyrical perspective than one might expect — but then again, maybe not. It’s up to you, the listener, to decide what it means to you.

Wayne Coyne explains, “Why would we make this music that is The Terror — this bleak, disturbing record? I don’t really want to know the answer that I think is coming. Maybe this is the beginning of the answer.”

The Terror is a bold and expressive journey that has evolved over The Lips’ nearly 30-year tended garden of sonic delights that ebbs and flows with extraordinary splashes of darkness and light, pleasure and pain, chaos and order. As we’ve come to know The Flaming Lips, the real beauty lies with the knowledge that to expect the unexpected is all part of the manic fun.

“If we have love, give love and know love,” Coyne says, “we are truly alive and if there is no love, there would be no life. The Terror, we know now, that even without love, life goes on…we just go on…There is no mercy killing.”

The digital pre-order of The Terror will begin on Jan 29th, through the iTunes Store and other participating digital retailers. All pre-orders on iTunes will include an Instant gratification, Non-Album, Bonus Track titled, “Sun Blows Up Today.”

Sun Blows Up Today” is also the music bed for a very cool Hyundai TV commercial by INNOCEAN USA which also stars The Flaming Lips and will air during the Super Bowl on Feb 3rd.

Track listing for The Terror:
Look…The Sun Is Rising
Be Free, A Way
Try To Explain
You Lust
The Terror
You Are Alone
Butterfly, How Long It Takes To Die
Turning Violent
Always There…In Our Hearts

Non-Album, Bonus Track – digital ONLY:
Sun Blows Up Today

-----------

Awesome. :hat :hat :hat

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »
Do you realize, we're floating in space?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »
Awesome band. :hat

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »
Just a few days ago I heard them for the first time - it was "I Can Be a Frog". I loved it immediately, and my interest in them skyrocketed. Where should I start?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 11:10:23 AM »
Just a few days ago I heard them for the first time - it was "I Can Be a Frog". I loved it immediately, and my interest in them skyrocketed. Where should I start?

The Soft Bulletin
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
At War with the Mystics
Embryonic

All of those are awesome.  You can't go wrong with any of them.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 11:12:03 AM »
Clouds Taste Metallic is great too. My personal favourite is Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »
Love this band. Great live show too.

It's amazing how much they've changed since Transmissions from the Satellite heart or even Clouds Taste Metallic... it's a whole different band now.