Author Topic: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion  (Read 72854 times)

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
Re: DT Book Lifting Shadows Discussion (Books Shipping Now!)
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2009, 01:41:46 PM »
Rich, are there any limited edition left? If so, how many? I want to order one, but I don't want to do it until next week.

Yes there are some of the Ltd Edition left. Not sure how many, but we are talking a few hundred, so next week will be OK for you!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Thanks Nick.

Also thanks for the point you raised about the subjective reviews of each of the albums. I always appreciate such constructive criticism and there are a few sections that have changed from the first edition because of it. The FII review is pretty different.

I guess from reading a lot of band biogs written by contemporaries of mine who I respect, I am influenced by their approach. Generally, such books do have album opinions in them. Naturally not everyone will agree with all the points I raise. That gives me only a few other options. Lie and write that I think everything that DT have ever released is perfect. Sit on the fence and be vague about the album's quality. Or not mention them at all which, in my opinion would be not doing my job. So of all of those, the approach I feel most comfortable with is the one I took. I knew it wouldn't please anyone but I'm sure you'll agree, pleasing every DT fan would be a tricky task!

Thanks again and I hope it won't put you off reading my books in the future  ;D

Thank you again Rich!

I finished reading the revised book a few days ago. I did notice that the Falling Into Infinity section was different. Can't speak for anyone else, but I really think you captured what I had been feeling at the time it was released. At the time, my favorite tracks were New Millenium, You Not Me, Hell's Kitchen, Hollow Years, Lines In The Sand and Trial of Tears though most of the album was a huge compromise and some of that was (unfairly) placed on Derek.

I'm actually listening to Falling To Infinity now (Anna Lee at the moment - Yuck! Nothing has changed here) and while my opinion of it has improved over the years (mostly because of improved live arrangements) I might not like You Not Me and Hollow Years (I LOVE this live) much anymore. Most of the songs (as recorded) don't really hold up well over time.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »
I am on the Transatlantic section now, it was good to read the revised Systematic Chaos section and the Black Clouds section.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2010, 02:23:50 PM »
I had finished this a few days ago, and the following is the most interesting information I took from the whole book.

While I knew that Neal had written We All Need Some Light prior to Transatlantic forming, I did not know that Spock's Beard had actually TURNED IT DOWN for two of their albums already. What in the world were they thinking? So what if it sounded a little like Floyd.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2010, 03:50:06 PM »
I ordered my limited edition yesterday. Now that the books are pretty much all shipped out, does anyone know about how long shipping takes from wherever they come from to PA if you are just now ordering?
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »
I had finished this a few days ago, and the following is the most interesting information I took from the whole book.

While I knew that Neal had written We All Need Some Light prior to Transatlantic forming, I did not know that Spock's Beard had actually TURNED IT DOWN for two of their albums already. What in the world were they thinking? So what if it sounded a little like Floyd.

I'd love to hear more stuff that might not have made a Spock's Beard album

I'd also love to see a book about Spock's Beard one day, but I'm afraid I'd be one of the few that would.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2010, 07:14:15 PM »
I've really been at work staring at a computer screen too long.  I thought the title of this thread said "Bosk1 Shipping Now!"  :omg:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2010, 04:08:58 AM »
My book shipped on Tuesday, apparently.
SO WHERE THE HELL IS IT

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2010, 03:07:51 PM »
So is there any interesting scoops concerning the making of BC+SL that anyone would like to share? I'd buy the book but i've already got the first edition and i didn't get an email voucher.

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2010, 03:10:52 PM »
So is there any interesting scoops concerning the making of BC+SL that anyone would like to share? I'd buy the book but i've already got the first edition and i didn't get an email voucher.

Well if you still wanted to buy it and get the discount, head on over to:

https://liftingshadows.com/faq/update-your-email-address/

Offline TTTSTA

• GRRRRR
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2010, 10:02:41 AM »
My book shipped on Tuesday, apparently.
SO WHERE THE HELL IS IT

I just got mine today, havent opened the book itself, but it looks pretty cool!
Sig removed for being too Gaahl!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2010, 03:22:27 PM »
Reading it now for the first time.  Good stuff.  I especially like the Black Clouds Chapter.  I thought James feelings toward being left out of the writing process were very interesting.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2010, 05:28:55 AM »
Still waiting for my limited edition. I'm expecting it by Tuesday at the latest hopefully. It was shipped out on the 8th.

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2010, 05:57:34 AM »
Still waiting for my limited edition. I'm expecting it by Tuesday at the latest hopefully. It was shipped out on the 8th.

The shipping does seem to be slow for a lot of people, so sorry about that. I have flagged it with the publishers. That said, even though it has been slow, most people are getting their books eventually. So please bear with it. If it doesn't come in the next couple of weeks then the best bet is to contact the publishers via the www.liftingshadows.com website.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2010, 05:19:09 PM »
Oh, I'm sure it's on it's way; I remember hearing something about two weeks; I got an email saying that it shipped on the 8th, so if you take out the weekends, I really shouldn't even expect it until around Tuesday. No worries, Rich! :)

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:37 PM »
I have been reading some parts of it, as I donīt have time to read the whole thing. Thank you very much Rich, you make a wonderful job, the book is beautiful. The most interesting part Iīve read is JPīs detailed description of the story behind The Count of Tuscany. He says for him the lyrics are just fun, and considering how well they fit the actual story, I donīt feel theyīre bad at all (and finally I get the references to the cannibal curator and the soldiers in the wine  :biggrin:).

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »
I received the books a good number of weeks ago and have only just got round to starting it. NOw I can't put it down! Such a great read. Work gets in the way though. Perhaps I should phone in sick for a few days to get it finished. LOL  ;D :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2010, 10:11:58 PM »
Yeah, there's so much here I didn't know.  I was really surprised that Wilson went there on the topic of James' studio input.  Kudos to that!  I doubt most bands would even let half the amount ongoing controversy in a sanctioned book-- especially when it's DT fans we're talking about.

Offline SilentFox

« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2010, 12:21:59 AM »
I've got a question about the book.  Does it cover the backstory to each and every song, or just a select few?  Cause I'd really like to check out what in the world Voices is about...or even Scarred.

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2010, 08:51:29 AM »
Not every song has the back story discussed as that would read like a long list. But 'Voices' is discussed as well as most of the tracks on BC&SL

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2010, 05:53:41 PM »
I've got a question about the book.  Does it cover the backstory to each and every song, or just a select few?  Cause I'd really like to check out what in the world Voices is about...or even Scarred.
One of the nicest things in the book is that you get a lot of those "now I understand what that song is about..." type of things. Not each song is discussed but many you might be interested in are there. Today I learned that ToT is about ego, for example.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »
Just got my LE yesterday. I'm only finishing the first chapter, Rich, but having read the first edition and understanding everything that went down during the production of that one, I must say that this one is absolutely perfect...no typos or anything! Excellent work!

Offline SilentFox

« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »
Will there be future editions, seeing as there will be future albums?

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2010, 10:01:07 AM »
Will there be future editions, seeing as there will be future albums?

There's nothing planned. This "second edition" was supposed to come out shortly after the first version but do to various reasons to dull to go into here, it was put back until last year.

Who knows what might happen in 5 or 10 years time. Maybe. But at the moment I'm pretty "Dream Theatered out" so am thinking about writing a book on another band. . .

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2010, 10:04:41 AM »
Question for ya Rich.  In the book, when James talks about getting into his bar fights, he says that the last one was 8 or so years ago.  Does that mean James was still getting into fights around 2001?  Or was that from an older interview?

Thanks  ;D

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2010, 01:43:17 PM »
Rich, please let us know if and when you do other books, not necessarily DT, but any band. If I like the band I will definitely buy a book from you.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »
I just finished up the book last night, and I must say, absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for writing it, Rich. It was truly a treat to get to follow the DT story from the start up until where they are now. I also enjoyed the Appendix, seeing as I'm a huge fan of all the DT side stuff.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »
Question for ya Rich.  In the book, when James talks about getting into his bar fights, he says that the last one was 8 or so years ago.  Does that mean James was still getting into fights around 2001?  Or was that from an older interview?

Thanks  ;D

I think the interview with James was done around 2005/2006 during his tour to promote his Elements Of Persuasion solo album. So I guess we are looking at the mid to late 90's

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2010, 09:40:41 AM »
Rich, please let us know if and when you do other books, not necessarily DT, but any band. If I like the band I will definitely buy a book from you.

That's great and thanks for that. I will of course let you all know as and when!

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
I just finished up the book last night, and I must say, absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for writing it, Rich. It was truly a treat to get to follow the DT story from the start up until where they are now. I also enjoyed the Appendix, seeing as I'm a huge fan of all the DT side stuff.

Thanks for this - it really means a lot to know you've enjoyed reading it :-)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2010, 07:17:24 PM »
I finished it up mid January. I really enjoyed reading, I learned quite a few things that suprised me, like Jordan doing drugs during his starting years in the 70s or so. But it was a joy to read, and also somewhat sad to finish, because of my excitement.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2010, 03:57:33 PM »
I just finished reading the book this week, and it was an excellent read. Great job, Rich! I feel like I know them personally now.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
I haven't started yet, I have so much to read  :-[.

My dad is saying that your site is a scam by the way (I tried to disagree :p). My mother ordered the book because she didn't know I had it yet. When she found out, she proceeded to ask customer support what to do and they told her to send it back. She did, but apparantly it got lost somewhere and now she is down 25€. I hope this is a individual case though, kinda sucks :/.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2010, 07:21:34 AM »
You could have send it to me, though. :p

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2010, 11:26:41 AM »
Finally finished it.  Great book.  Knew mostly everything from ToT-on (which is why my reading slowed) but was well worth it for all the other info.