Author Topic: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion  (Read 72832 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion
« Reply #420 on: January 31, 2022, 07:27:59 AM »
FWIW—I also checked my 'first run' copy last night, and there was NO cd included. I have no memory of ever seeing a cd with it, but have seen others mention it over the years. Not sure what the details with getting it were...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: January 31, 2022, 07:56:24 AM »
It's inside the front cover of the Images book.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #422 on: January 31, 2022, 12:53:41 PM »
I never bought the book, but I remember it being promoted with the CD.  And I've seen photos of the CD itself.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: January 31, 2022, 12:55:00 PM »
It's inside the front cover of the Images book.

That's where mine is. 

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #424 on: January 31, 2022, 04:04:34 PM »
The CD came with the second release black book, not the first printing red book(s).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #425 on: January 31, 2022, 07:28:35 PM »
The CD came with the second release black book, not the first printing red book(s).
Wat.

No, the CD came with the first edition of the book - the one that had both the Images and Words volumes in a box set. I have no idea what "black book" you're talking about.

The box itself is red as are both volumes (Images and Words). The paper wrap that serves as a book cover for the Words volume has a simple black image with the ugly gray majesty symbol, and the paper wrap for the Images volume has a B/W photo of the band from a SC photoshoot.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: January 31, 2022, 11:25:19 PM »
Wat.

No, the CD came with the first edition of the book - the one that had both the Images and Words volumes in a box set. I have no idea what "black book" you're talking about.

The box itself is red as are both volumes (Images and Words). The paper wrap that serves as a book cover for the Words volume has a simple black image with the ugly gray majesty symbol, and the paper wrap for the Images volume has a B/W photo of the band from a SC photoshoot.

This is, of course, correct.

No idea where RaiseTheKnife got their version of the truth from :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #427 on: February 01, 2022, 12:23:13 AM »
does anyone know how one can place an image in here, does it need to be uploaded somewhere else to take the url from? Because I would like to post my own books in here, to hear which versions I have. Because I have no idea anymore…
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2022, 05:33:57 AM »
Because I would like to post my own books in here, to hear which versions I have. Because I have no idea anymore…
You can judge your books by their covers.

The latest edition, published in 2013, has a collage of DT artwork created by fellow forum-member SetlistScotty. It's the one currently featured in the book's official website: https://http://liftingshadows.com

The previous edition, from 2009, consists of the same band picture found in the Black Clouds & Silver Linings album. A special version of that edition comes in a red/bordeaux hardback cover.

The very first edition of Lifting Shadows came out in 2007, and consists of two books stacked inside a red box with the band's logo. One of the books, called Words, is Rich Wilson's biography, and its cover is a band pic from that era. (The other book is a collection of images.)

does anyone know how one can place an image in here, does it need to be uploaded somewhere else to take the url from?
I think it does. You can always upload it to a Google Drive or Dropbox folder.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2022, 06:07:34 AM »
Thanks Sebastián, I did uploaded it to Google Drive, but the mission hasn't been accomplished yet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YPluSMkgN9JMdcHyusVjxJdl0NDMiuu7/view?usp=sharing

Sorry for it being a link, but it seems like I only miss the original release, which has the Images and Words-parts. I'll gonna be looking for that one in the near future.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 06:13:21 AM by Wim Kruithof »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2022, 07:23:55 AM »
Thanks Sebastián, I did uploaded it to Google Drive, but the mission hasn't been accomplished yet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YPluSMkgN9JMdcHyusVjxJdl0NDMiuu7/view?usp=sharing

Sorry for it being a link, but it seems like I only miss the original release, which has the Images and Words-parts. I'll gonna be looking for that one in the near future.
Correct. What you have in your photo, are (from left to right):
• the Limited Edition (all text is exactly the same as the Classic Edition, including the appendix about side projects)
• the Classic Edition (all text is exactly the same as the Limited Edition, including the appendix about side projects)
• the Paperback Edition (the latest edition without any images nor the appendix on side projects)

What you still need is the Original Box Set Edition, which, if I recall correctly, is missing one or two chapters that Rich added for the Limited/Classic Editions. It does not have the appendix about the side projects. However, it came as 2 books housed in a matching box, and tucked away in the Images book (which featured photos from throughout the band's history) was the bonus CD.

Here's an old version of the website for reference:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090914031701/http://liftingshadows.com/the-editions/

Here's what the original box set looks like:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2022, 08:48:41 AM »
That's what I have and I got the band to sign certain images in that book.

JLB was very surprised, and said something similar to, "wow. I have never seen this yet." He was looking through it for a while before I told him to sign one pic. It was fun talking to them about the images. Fitting too how it was the I&W&B tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2022, 10:12:05 AM »
JLB was very surprised, and said something similar to, "wow. I have never seen this yet." He was looking through it for a while before I told him to sign one pic. It was fun talking to them about the images. Fitting too how it was the I&W&B tour.
That's surprising - would've thought he would have gotten a complimentary copy from Rich, as I know each band member got a copy of the Limited Edition.

Funny that you mention you got the band to sign it. I brought the "Words" book with when I saw them in LA at the Progressive Nation 2008 show, and I had fun having not only the band, but also Rikk Feulner, Erik Neldner and Frank Solomon since they were all at the show, and of course Rich Wilson who had already signed it. Amusingly enough, JL wrote "Aren't you a part of this"

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #433 on: February 01, 2022, 10:58:33 AM »
thank you Scotty, that seems like a must-have…

now there are 3 items on my wish-list…

- the books first release
- Images and Words vinyl
- artbook Distant Memories

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: February 01, 2022, 11:43:23 AM »

Yeah, as usual, Scotty is right.  Damn fine work on the Lifting Shadows collage as well Scotty.

My own version (the original 2007 double hardback with my name as a contributor) has the CD.  I also had a few interesting looks from the guys when I had the hard-case signed in 2012 in DC.  MM asked me if I really wanted him to sign it because he wasn't a part of any of the book's contents... I told him he was part of the family now and of course I wanted him to sign it!  JP laughed a bit about that.  I'm missing MP sig on the hard-case but that's OK, the books are for me and my wife and they'll not ever be sold if I can help it.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2022, 11:51:56 AM »

Yeah, as usual, Scotty is right.  Damn fine work on the Lifting Shadows collage as well Scotty.

My own version (the original 2007 double hardback with my name as a contributor) has the CD.  I also had a few interesting looks from the guys when I had the hard-case signed in 2012 in DC.  MM asked me if I really wanted him to sign it because he wasn't a part of any of the book's contents... I told him he was part of the family now and of course I wanted him to sign it!  JP laughed a bit about that.  I'm missing MP sig on the hard-case but that's OK, the books are for me and my wife and they'll not ever be sold if I can help it.

He didn't say exactly that. It was more, let me see..."I haven't really seen this all yet." I think he was talking about the picture I had him sign.

I also had Mangini sign the back, and said it's because this was written before and having you're signature on the back is like, what is next to come.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #436 on: November 30, 2023, 06:30:41 AM »
This week I received the orginial Images & Words limited box set, with the cd involved. What a gorgious piece... I love they released this biography in four different versions, that's as prog-nerdy as it will ever get.

I also bought the original Live Scenes from New York cd with the twin towers sleeve, so basicly all my wishes are granted for now. All there's left is the release of #16.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #437 on: November 30, 2023, 08:18:08 AM »
This week I received the orginial Images & Words limited box set, with the cd involved. What a gorgious piece... I love they released this biography in four different versions, that's as prog-nerdy as it will ever get.
Well, what you're saying implies that they came out with 4 different versions of the book at the same time, which isn't the case at all. There was the original version, an update that was released in a normal and deluxe version, and finally a second update that was released as a paperback.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #438 on: November 30, 2023, 08:34:26 AM »
but do you mean the original is the version with Images & Words books? If this is the original, it was already very exclusive and limited right from the get-go.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #439 on: November 30, 2023, 08:55:25 AM »
but do you mean the original is the version with Images & Words books?

Correct.

If this is the original, it was already very exclusive and limited right from the get-go.
IIRC it was somewhat limited, but not perhaps to the extent we might imagine. You'd have to ask Rich how many of the original book were published as I haven't a clue. But with all the people who pre-ordered it having the opportunity to get their names included in the book, you can get at least a rough idea. 

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #440 on: November 30, 2023, 11:15:59 AM »
Oh man, why didn't you call me back then? Wasn't aware of the band, but was probably around on a hiphop concert... I've searched for this beauty many, many months but even on Discogs it's truly rare. Only a couple for sale (for the highest price). All of their content is widely for sale, this truly is an exclusive piece.

I can only hope Rich will do a 'final chapter' when it's all over.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: November 30, 2023, 11:20:37 AM »

I'd like that and I would buy that.  Still mat at myself for accidentally leaving my paperback on a plane so I never finished reading it.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #442 on: November 30, 2023, 11:23:30 AM »
I'd like that and I would buy that.  Still mat at myself for accidentally leaving my paperback on a plane so I never finished reading it.
You realize that version is still available and relatively inexpensive, especially compared to what Wim probably spent on the original version!   :lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #443 on: November 30, 2023, 11:30:23 AM »
You realize that version is still available and relatively inexpensive, especially compared to what Wim probably spent on the original version!   :lol

Yep, went through the roof... 🙈

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: November 30, 2023, 11:37:02 AM »

:lol yeah, but I just dont want to buy it again when I know there's so much more to say since that last update.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #445 on: November 30, 2023, 11:42:38 AM »
:lol yeah, but I just dont want to buy it again when I know there's so much more to say since that last update.
Sure, but who knows when he's gonna update it again, if ever, or if someone else will take up the task? Besides, don't you want to have a copy of the book with that snazzy cover on it?   :biggrin:

Offline emtee

« Reply #446 on: November 30, 2023, 11:44:33 AM »
I have the original with my name included but I made a huge mistake and gave the CD away to somebody who really wanted it back at MP's forum. I never really listened to it so I figured why not give it to someone who really wants it. Now I kick myself because it devalues it so much. Oh welll...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #447 on: November 30, 2023, 12:23:52 PM »

I just bought a copy of the deluxe one with the CD and while I got a little lucky, it's still agonizing. ;) :)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: December 01, 2023, 01:44:55 AM »
The original release is not quite as pricey (VG is about Ł158/$200) on Discogs as I thought it might be. Although that's in the eye of the beholder, of course. That said, it's my most 'valuable' Dream Theater item, followed by the Scenes From A Memory vinyl release from 2011. Which is a little odd because the artwork on that release was rather poorly reproduced. Or am I thinking about Images? I'll have to look.

Edit: yeah, the reproduction of the Images & Words artwork is poor.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 01:55:18 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #449 on: December 01, 2023, 10:28:46 AM »
I just bought a copy of the deluxe one with the CD and while I got a little lucky, it's still agonizing. ;) :)
Didn't you get it when it was first published? I would have thought you did.

Edit: yeah, the reproduction of the Images & Words artwork is poor.
That sucks, but really it's not surprising. Several years ago, one of the guys from the old ToD fanclub contacted me about the cover art for LatM since they were doing a vinyl repressing of that. I think the image I had came from a scan of either the LatM CD or LiT videotape that I cleaned up. So that's what was used for that cover.

Plus, a while back I had gotten in contact with Larry Freemantle (the artist) hoping to be able to get the original digital files for the covers he did, but given the technology of the time, he didn't have them. Considering how irresponsible the labels seem to be with keeping everything documented and organized, I wouldn't be surprised if the original image files have been lost to time.

Fortunately, I got my hands on original album flats for all the releases up through SFaM (aside from LatM/LiT) so I was able to get pretty high quality scans from them, although obviously they're not as good as the original files.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: December 01, 2023, 10:30:15 AM »

I have the hardcover, but not the release with the CD.  I actually wanted the CD most (to be a completist; I had the songs).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #451 on: December 01, 2023, 10:43:55 AM »
I have the hardcover, but not the release with the CD.  I actually wanted the CD most (to be a completist; I had the songs).
But weren't you around on the forums back then? It just surprises me that you wouldn't have snapped it up back then when it was new.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #452 on: December 01, 2023, 01:44:27 PM »
But weren't you around on the forums back then? It just surprises me that you wouldn't have snapped it up back then when it was new.

I bought the jumbo, super-deluxe, and my name's in it, but I recall it being quite pricey.  The funny thing for me is that I didn't realize the CD was in there until about 5 years ago.

By the way, I wonder if anyone whose name is in the book has gone onto any degree of fame or notoriety (or infamy).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: December 01, 2023, 02:20:49 PM »

I was; I don't know.  When did it come out?  If I was going through my divorce then that might have had something to do with it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #454 on: December 01, 2023, 03:58:02 PM »

I was; I don't know.  When did it come out?  If I was going through my divorce then that might have had something to do with it.

I believe it was originally published in 2007.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung