Author Topic: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion  (Read 72826 times)

Calvin6s

Re: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion
« Reply #385 on: January 18, 2015, 08:26:40 AM »
Was there anything cut between the 1st edition and the most recent edition (the one I just bought and read)?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #386 on: January 19, 2015, 05:21:35 AM »
There was a "side projects" section that was cut out of the latest edition, don't know if anything else was left out.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #387 on: January 19, 2015, 10:34:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure that was it but also keep in mind the last edition had the addition of a final chapter summing up the split with new interview excerpts

Edit: excerpts not experts.  Glad I caught that typo almost one year later   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:10:05 PM by Madman Shepherd »

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: January 13, 2016, 08:17:52 AM »
Man, I really gotta get the new edition.
I have the previous one (2nd I think? The one that ends on BC&SL). My wife got it for my birthday not long after it came out, and I love it. It's a great read.
Though I wonder if I should wait a few years. I'm betting that The Astonishing release/tour will provide a lot of interesting material for the book, should Rich continue writing. Also, was DT12 covered in the most recent edition?

Anyway, thanks for such a great book, Rich. It's definitely my favorite! It even kinda ruined the Score documentary for me lol I love it, but now whenever I watch it it's like, "Man, I wish they could've added at least another hour to this thing so they wouldn't have to gloss over certain parts."  ;D

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #389 on: January 13, 2016, 08:20:28 AM »
Also, was DT12 covered in the most recent edition?

No, it got up to ADToE.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #390 on: January 13, 2016, 08:25:12 AM »
I'm pretty sure I read that he was done with the book. I don't have a quote but that was my understanding. I'm glad of that, though. There's no reason to update the book after every album. I would be good the way it is, or even one last large update to the book after DT hangs it up.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: January 13, 2016, 08:38:49 AM »
I'm pretty sure I read that he was done with the book. I don't have a quote but that was my understanding. I'm glad of that, though. There's no reason to update the book after every album. I would be good the way it is, or even one last large update to the book after DT hangs it up.

Yea, maybe once they call it quits it would be nice to have a finished biography on the band up to the end of their careers.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #392 on: January 13, 2016, 08:55:06 AM »

You are correct. I actually reached out to Rich via Facebook a few months ago and he let me know that he was finished with Lifting Shadows. It makes sense, as he is writing new books and it doesn't make sense to tie yourself down with one band.

I'm very thankful that we got the updates that we did. My wallet is thankful that there won't be yet another new edition to buy  :lol
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: January 13, 2016, 09:40:39 AM »

You are correct. I actually reached out to Rich via Facebook a few months ago and he let me know that he was finished with Lifting Shadows. It makes sense, as he is writing new books and it doesn't make sense to tie yourself down with one band.
Ah, ok. That makes sense.
In that case, I'll have to pick up the new edition soon!

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: January 13, 2016, 09:41:28 AM »

Yea, maybe once they call it quits it would be nice to have a finished biography on the band up to the end of their careers.

Agreed! It would be very fitting.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #395 on: January 13, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »
You know what could be a fun discussion? What would have been other good titles for the book, whether it is a song title, album title, or lyrics?

I'd easily say that, if it had been written after DT12, that "Behind the Veil" would have been perfect (if Lifting Shadows wasn't an option).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline krands85

« Reply #396 on: January 13, 2016, 12:16:44 PM »
'Beneath the Surface' could have worked, had the book been written later.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: January 13, 2016, 12:59:48 PM »
Given their resilience throughout their career (especially in their early, pre-record label days), id say Blind Faith.
Or Erotomania or Space Dye Vest, to really confuse people who don't know DT.  ;D

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #398 on: January 22, 2022, 11:45:58 AM »
When I got into Dream Theater a few years back and became quite obsessed with the band, I bought the paperback version of Lifting Shadows. I was truly interested and liked it so much, that I went looking for the hardcover. I've found one with leather cover and signatured by Rich Wilson. Having them both, I kept searching for an original hardcover from 2009. And that's what I found last week, so now I have three versions of this magnificent biography, two original from 2009, when Portnoy remains in the band... and the edited paperback version, where Mangini jointed.

I consider them to be treasures in my livingroom.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #399 on: January 22, 2022, 07:39:35 PM »
When I got into Dream Theater a few years back and became quite obsessed with the band, I bought the paperback version of Lifting Shadows. I was truly interested and liked it so much, that I went looking for the hardcover. I've found one with leather cover and signatured by Rich Wilson. Having them both, I kept searching for an original hardcover from 2009. And that's what I found last week, so now I have three versions of this magnificent biography, two original from 2009, when Portnoy remains in the band... and the edited paperback version, where Mangini jointed.

I consider them to be treasures in my livingroom.

I bought the original when it was released (my name's in the book alongside many who post here, I assume).  Got the updated paperback for Christmas a while back but haven't gotten around to reading the new stuff yet.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #400 on: January 22, 2022, 07:44:25 PM »
I didn't spend the money to get my name in the book. I thought it was a rip, honestly. But funny this thread got bumped because I literally pulled out my copy yesterday to read a passage.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #401 on: January 22, 2022, 08:54:29 PM »
I didn't spend the money to get my name in the book. I thought it was a rip, honestly. But funny this thread got bumped because I literally pulled out my copy yesterday to read a passage.

Was it more $$ to get your name in the book?  It was way too long ago for me to remember.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #402 on: January 22, 2022, 11:36:14 PM »
I bought the original when it was released (my name's in the book alongside many who post here, I assume).  Got the updated paperback for Christmas a while back but haven't gotten around to reading the new stuff yet.

Man, how often I wish I was aware of them back in these days.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #403 on: January 23, 2022, 01:31:33 AM »
The only reason I myself bought the book was to get the cd with all the "rare" material. I really wanted Through Her Eyes (Titanic Mix) because it's a really great instrumental version of it. It's great for studying and getting stuff done around the house. Also, this was the cd that I discovered the awesome Don't Look Past Me. My name in the book I saw as an added bonus.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #404 on: January 23, 2022, 07:57:29 AM »

Was it more $$ to get your name in the book?  It was way too long ago for me to remember.

I think if you preordered, that was just one of the perks of the first addition.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #405 on: January 23, 2022, 12:17:43 PM »

I think if you preordered, that was just one of the perks of the first addition.

Wasn't it like $80?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #406 on: January 23, 2022, 02:48:39 PM »

Wasn't it like $80?

That sounds about right, and yes, I preordered it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #407 on: January 23, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »
No way I was spending that. Did it really shed any light on anything? I mean, The Score So Far pretty much covers it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #408 on: January 23, 2022, 03:19:16 PM »
I have the book. It's a paperback and it definitely didn't cost me $80, more like around €20, I guess. I have the newest(?) version, released around 2014. It was a fun read and there's definitely some things in there that you would really read or hear otherwise. At least for me there was a fair share of 'new' information. It's been 7 years since I read it though.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline pg1067

« Reply #409 on: January 23, 2022, 05:10:03 PM »
No way I was spending that. Did it really shed any light on anything? I mean, The Score So Far pretty much covers it.

There's TONS of stuff in the book that isn't in The Score So Far.  And the Images volume was also awesome.

I get not wanting to pay $80 for it, but it was worth it to me.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #410 on: January 23, 2022, 06:05:26 PM »
80 bucks but you got TWO books. One is "Images" with a bunch of pictures and the other is "words" which was a high quality hardback. It came with a CD full of relatively rare stuff as well and it was all in a cool "shell" to house both books.  And then of course you got your name in it, you got the book before anybody else, and you could always sell it for a shitload down the line.

Lots of new info. I've read fanzines, liner notes, interviews, and all that and I learned a ton.

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #411 on: January 24, 2022, 01:04:08 AM »
80 bucks but you got TWO books. One is "Images" with a bunch of pictures and the other is "words" which was a high quality hardback. It came with a CD full of relatively rare stuff as well and it was all in a cool "shell" to house both books.  And then of course you got your name in it, you got the book before anybody else, and you could always sell it for a shitload down the line.

Lots of new info. I've read fanzines, liner notes, interviews, and all that and I learned a ton.

Seriously, I never heard of this release before. And am darn curious. I have no idea how to put an image of my collection from my MacBook in this thread, if I had, I would place the editions I have right in here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #412 on: January 24, 2022, 08:07:38 AM »
I've paid $80 on other books.

I regret not doing it for this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #413 on: January 27, 2022, 10:57:46 AM »
I have the book. It's a paperback and it definitely didn't cost me $80, more like around €20, I guess. I have the newest(?) version, released around 2014. It was a fun read and there's definitely some things in there that you would really read or hear otherwise. At least for me there was a fair share of 'new' information. It's been 7 years since I read it though.

I have the same edition, I loved it back then, probably binge-read it all in a couple of days. There were some really spicy chapters regarding the recording of I&W & ACOS and the feud that went on between the band and producer David Prater. Prater trash-talking the band, accusing Kevin Moore of intentionally playing the wrong notes to sabotage him and insisting that Mike can't play drums, that's why he needed drum samples on I&W is just hilarious. :lol I read the book only once, but must have re-read those chapters half a dozen times. They alone are worth the price of admission. 

My only gripe with the book was the last chapter about the Mangini-era. It was a later addition and feels really disjointed from the rest of the book. Reads more like a PR-release than a warts-and-all biography, as was the rest of the book.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #414 on: January 28, 2022, 12:55:09 PM »

Seriously, I never heard of this release before. And am darn curious. I have no idea how to put an image of my collection from my MacBook in this thread, if I had, I would place the editions I have right in here.

1st edition was what i mentioned.
2nd edition with a few minor updates came out in hardback a little later.
3rd edition was paperback with an updated Mangini chapter but also took out the discography in the back if I remember correctly.

I have them all. I've got hoarding issues.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: January 28, 2022, 12:57:54 PM »

1st edition was what i mentioned.
2nd edition with a few minor updates came out in hardback a little later.
3rd edition was paperback with an updated Mangini chapter but also took out the discography in the back if I remember correctly.

I have them all. I've got hoarding issues.

The paperback omitted the chapter on side-projects.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #416 on: January 29, 2022, 09:52:07 AM »
Anyone have the CD they'd want to sell?  I have the songs, but in the interest of completeness, it's one of two things in the DT catalogue I feel I've missed (the other is the CD/Blu-ray set for Breaking The Fourth Wall).

Offline emtee

« Reply #417 on: January 29, 2022, 10:27:28 AM »
I'll look Stads. I bought the first edition with my name in it. It's been ages since I opened the protective case and looked at it. I don't remember if I kept the CD in the book packaging or if it's in my collection. If I can find it, you can have it. I don't want any money. Gimme a couple days.

Offline emtee

« Reply #418 on: January 29, 2022, 11:30:11 AM »
Huh, I can't find a CD. Did the original pressing of the book have a CD? I don't even remember. Been a long time. Sorry Stads.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #419 on: January 31, 2022, 06:53:21 AM »
Huh, I can't find a CD. Did the original pressing of the book have a CD? I don't even remember. Been a long time. Sorry Stads.

I don't know what the release schedule was like; I got a copy later on, and there was no CD.  I appreciate you looking; if you run across it, I'm not going anywhere.  :) :)