Author Topic: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion  (Read 72877 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion
« Reply #350 on: August 24, 2013, 11:25:51 PM »
Clockwork Angels was made my second favorite Rush album. Power Windows is my favorite, and the fact that they played so much of it this tour made very very happy. Rush has said themselves that they are not a nostalgia act, and that if they did do a nostalgic tour, it would most likely be their LAST.

In my opinion, I feel as though most of Rush's albums are great because I usually never want to skip any of the tracks. Rush tends to be very good at making an entire album very strong. I would never skip a track going through Power Windows, as I love every song. Same goes for A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Grace Under Pressure, Counterparts, and Vapor Trails (REMIX COMING OUT OCTOBER 1ST  :metal :metal :metal)

Dream Theater, however, finds me skipping many tracks. (on WDADU, Awake, FII especially, SDOIT, ToT, and SC.)

Well that's, just, like, your opinion, man.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #351 on: August 25, 2013, 02:02:25 AM »
I'm only buying this if it comes out in an online/kindle version, because I've never trusted buying things online and trusting them to find their way to your doorstep without having your credit card number stolen and/or some other unpleasant thing happening.
I trust Amazon, I don't trust whoever the author of this novel is. The main thing I don't trust is actually getting something that you pay for online.
I'm now not buying the book because the author holds a terrible opinion about Rush.

These are the most ridiculous comments I've read here for quite a while. Are you serious? :lol

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #352 on: August 25, 2013, 07:37:31 AM »
Really excited to begin reading the book. Hopefully it ships out soon!

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #353 on: August 25, 2013, 07:38:34 AM »
These are the most ridiculous comments I've read here for quite a while. Are you serious? :lol

Dead serious. I'm not buying a novel written by a credit card-stealing, Kindle-hating, Rush-despising communist.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #354 on: August 25, 2013, 07:42:48 AM »

Dead serious. I'm not buying a novel written by a credit card-stealing, Kindle-hating, Rush-despising communist.

I think you might have forgotten children-eating.  :biggrin:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #355 on: August 25, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »

Watch your tone and language.  The author is a member here and this qualifies as a personal attack.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #356 on: August 25, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »

Rich Wilson, as hefdaddy pointed out, is a member here, and has been very active in keeping in contact with the fans, both here, and on the Lifting Shadows Facebook page. I have bought both previous editions of the book, and never had a problem. I do not see where all of this hate came from.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #357 on: August 25, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
Yeah, seriously.  Even though his comment about Rush in that interview was way off, there is still no need for that kind of bile being thrown at him. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #358 on: August 25, 2013, 11:50:44 AM »
I hope its a joke...even so, probably goes to far for a joke. 

This just goes to show you though, that it is never a good idea to speak in terms of absolutes for opinions...especially when you're a public figure like Rich.  People will pick it apart like crazy. 

Still love the guy though. 

Edit: Neglected to include the word "pick"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:11:07 PM by Madman Shepherd »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #359 on: August 25, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »
This is also not a thread about Rush.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »
This just goes to show you though, that it is never a good idea to speak in terms of absolutes for opinions...especially when you're a public figure like Rich.  People will it apart like crazy. 
He should have known that by saying something like that about Rush, he'd get branded a credit card thief. Logic!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »
This just goes to show you though, that it is never a good idea to speak in terms of absolutes for opinions...especially when you're a public figure like Rich.  People will it apart like crazy. 
He should have known that by saying something like that about Rush, he'd get branded a credit card thief. Logic!

Haha.  Identity theft is no laughing matter!!!!   :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: August 26, 2013, 09:10:48 AM »
I trust Amazon, I don't trust whoever the author of this novel is. The main thing I don't trust is actually getting something that you pay for online.

Are you a time traveler from 1997?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #363 on: August 26, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »
August is nearing its end so I hope this thing ships a bit earlier.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #364 on: August 26, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »
is the preorder discount still available? i hadnt ordered it yet because of some money/card issues, but still definitely planning to get it :metal

Offline Nofire

« Reply #365 on: August 27, 2013, 04:30:22 AM »
is the preorder discount still available? i hadnt ordered it yet because of some money/card issues, but still definitely planning to get it :metal

I ordered it a few days ago and got the discount.
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #366 on: August 29, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
I preordered the paperback edition.I don't remember if was there a estimated ship date.Anybody know anything?Thanks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: February 07, 2014, 05:13:31 PM »
Just saw DT post about this on facebook and forgot I wanted to order the paperback edition after I moved and that was like 6 monthes ago.  So I just ordered it.  Should be a fantastic read.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: October 12, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »
So any reviews from anyone who purchased the new edition with update regarding MP leaving and MM joining?

I have the first one and the one released just before MP left, just wondering if I should?  :smiley:

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: October 14, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »
So any reviews from anyone who purchased the new edition with update regarding MP leaving and MM joining?

I have the first one and the one released just before MP left, just wondering if I should?  :smiley:

if you followed press with the changeover, there's nothing new to learn from the book. it's a good summary if you didn't, though, and it's pretty good at mentioning but not detailing MP's more buffoonish behaviour at the time.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: October 14, 2014, 06:21:21 PM »
Thanks for that.  :smiley:  Would have purchased it either way, just found it strange no one had posted anything after the new release.
We all remember MP at the time....I was even blocked from his site and still have no idea why...if anything I was more positive than most.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: October 20, 2014, 07:32:43 AM »
I can't believe I left my book on a plane. So pissed at myself. And I just left another book on a plane last week. I have a bad habit.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #372 on: October 21, 2014, 08:56:07 PM »
SOMEBODY STOP LEAVING THESE MOTHER EFFING BOOKS ON THESE MOTHER EFFING PLANES!!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: October 22, 2014, 07:56:55 AM »
 :rollin

Going to have to buy another copy at some point because I was enjoying the read and I only got up the the recording of I&W

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: October 22, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »
SOMEBODY STOP LEAVING THESE MOTHER EFFING BOOKS ON THESE MOTHER EFFING PLANES!!

:clap:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #375 on: October 22, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »

if you followed press with the changeover, there's nothing new to learn from the book. it's a good summary if you didn't, though, and it's pretty good at mentioning but not detailing MP's more buffoonish behaviour at the time.

It's also still way too early for getting anything that isn't publicly known. I read the first edition of the book, and you could divide it into two parts essentially: The "past" , which included a lot of interesting dirt, and the "happy-family present", where every band member was content, nothing was going wrong, nobody wanted to leave, bla bla bla ..  and a few months later MP leaves the band.
I would think the newest edition of the book will have the same thing. They dare not disclose anything that might get them into trouble, so it will stick to stuff that is widely known.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: October 22, 2014, 02:38:35 PM »

It's also still way too early for getting anything that isn't publicly known. I read the first edition of the book, and you could divide it into two parts essentially: The "past" , which included a lot of interesting dirt, and the "happy-family present", where every band member was content, nothing was going wrong, nobody wanted to leave, bla bla bla ..  and a few months later MP leaves the band.
I would think the newest edition of the book will have the same thing. They dare not disclose anything that might get them into trouble, so it will stick to stuff that is widely known.

Good point.  Its usually that way with everything, all the dirty details get released in a book many many years later.  Maybe there will be a third edition that has all that fun.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: October 22, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
^^Good Points. I figure by now Rich Wilson has moved onto another artist. He used to post either on here or MP.com all the time.
 It must have been a little disheartening to release two releases a leather bound book and the paperback and no sooner published a founding member leaves the band, and yes he did publish an update with the pc split information.
It sounded like a labour of love for him, and I figure not every fan purchased a copy of either edition be it for the reason they don't read, too expensive etc.  I think at this point even ten years away we would be lucky to receive a new edition. I hope we do, just saying...... :smiley:

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #378 on: October 24, 2014, 02:30:05 AM »
I've not checked in here for a while now - I've been too busy writing a book on Lenin  ;)

I can't see me releasing another printed version of the book. I've already had to defend the release of this version! It was only ever released for those people who didn't get the original versions, and intended as a cheaper way for people to get hold of a copy instead of paying $$$ on Amazon. I had added the update chapters really because I felt that was the right thing to do (as I knew there would be a few people who buy everything DT related even if they had the previous editions). The only thing I might do is pop it out on Kindle in a couple of years - again for people that don't have a copy.

Apart from popping down the docks and meeting with my comrades to plot the overthrowing of this capitalist, credit card loving government, I have been writing a book on another prog band which I'm just completing. Should be out early next year. I can't reveal who just yet, but I will when I can.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: October 24, 2014, 02:34:39 AM »
Apart from popping down the docks and meeting with my comrades to plot the overthrowing of this capitalist, credit card loving government, I have been writing a book on another prog band which I'm just completing. Should be out early next year. I can't reveal who just yet, but I will when I can.

Sounds exciting! :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: October 24, 2014, 02:39:27 AM »
^^^^Great news Rich, just ordered a copy of the new edition earlier this morning ( it is after 7pm Fri in Aussie land)  I noticed there was one on Ebay that was more expensive than direct and it had heaps of watchers...why do people avoid going direct?! ::)

I am sure it has been said before but Thank you so much for writing Lifting Shadows...it is a great read for any fan.  :smiley:

After your nest prog band book, feel free to start a book on Steve Vai (my wish!)  :smiley:

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: January 16, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »
(as I knew there would be a few people who buy everything DT related even if they had the previous editions).
;D
I don't buy everything DT related, but I did buy all 3 editions of Lifting Shadows.

« Reply #382 on: January 16, 2015, 03:23:17 PM »
(as I knew there would be a few people who buy everything DT related even if they had the previous editions).
;D
I don't buy everything DT related, but I did buy all 3 editions of Lifting Shadows.

At the time when they came out I hope. Because if you bought one of the earlier editions recently... I don't envy your bank account.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: January 16, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
;D

At the time when they came out I hope. Because if you bought one of the earlier editions recently... I don't envy your bank account.

Yes, as they came out.   :laugh:

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: January 17, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
I finally ordered my copy of Lifting Shadows!! I don't read books at all but this one is really interesting so I have to read it. I'm excited but don't have time to read it until the summer because I have so much school work.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E