Author Topic: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion  (Read 72848 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion
« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »
Quote from: Facebook
Rocket 88
New edition of Dream Theater book 'Lifting Shadows' available to pre-order in paperback this week. Fully updated by Rich Wilson featuring new interviews with the band & others, it covers the departure of Mike Portnoy, the search for his successor and the band's spirited return. Plus this stunning cover art by Scott Hansen.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »
Excellent! I will definitely be preordering.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #282 on: June 24, 2013, 02:03:10 PM »
Questions:

Is this basically the same book as before but with the more recent years covered and maybe a bit taken out (like the side projects chapter)?

Is the foreword still the same?  That would be kind of weird, since it would be written by someone who is now no longer in the band.

Offline krands85

« Reply #283 on: June 24, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
Quote from: Facebook
Rocket 88
New edition of Dream Theater book 'Lifting Shadows' available to pre-order in paperback this week. Fully updated by Rich Wilson featuring new interviews with the band & others, it covers the departure of Mike Portnoy, the search for his successor and the band's spirited return. Plus this stunning cover art by Scott Hansen.
Awesome, I've been hoping to read this book for quite some time. Will definitely be pre-ordering  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: June 24, 2013, 02:44:12 PM »
Questions:

Is this basically the same book as before but with the more recent years covered and maybe a bit taken out (like the side projects chapter)?

Is the foreword still the same?  That would be kind of weird, since it would be written by someone who is now no longer in the band.
I'd like to know the answer to this too. No offense to Rich or the work he puts into these, but buying the whole book over again is not something everyone can afford, especially if it's just a new chapter or two every time an album comes out. As much of a book lover as I am personally, a brand new edition of the same book every few years is just a bit more than I can commit myself to. As someone who already owns two versions, I don't think I could justify a third anyway really.

Also, since much of the book is researched from previous interviews and magazine articles, I'd have to know that the recent chapters would be based on a lot more than some of the big stories I've seen on DT lately. For example, I already own the Rich Wilson story about Mike Portnoy leaving that was printed in Prog magazine, so if the chapter on that is mostly a repeat, I'd even have less of a reason to justify purchase of Lifting Shadows edition 3. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:02:34 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #285 on: June 24, 2013, 08:33:36 PM »
I don't have any previous version of the book, so I'd be interested in this regardless.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #286 on: June 24, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »
I'd like to know the answer to this too. No offense to Rich or the work he puts into these, but buying the whole book over again is not something everyone can afford, especially if it's just a new chapter or two every time an album comes out. As much of a book lover as I am personally, a brand new edition of the same book every few years is just a bit more than I can commit myself to. As someone who already owns two versions, I don't think I could justify a third anyway really.

This has been covered before but a valid point nonetheless.  Obviously Rich can address it much better than I but basically the first few editions were a limited run for no other reason than it is hard to get a book published about a relatively unknown band regardless of if it has an incredibly strong fanbase.  The first edition was meant as a limited run and the second  was meant as a cheaper alternative for those that either couldn't afford to buy it the first time around or maybe weren't aware. 

This edition, Rich has stated, will remain in print for quite a while and will hopefully be in book stores. 

Also, since much of the book is researched from previous interviews and magazine articles, I'd have to know that the recent chapters would be based on a lot more than some of the big stories I've seen on DT lately. For example, I already own the Rich Wilson story about Mike Portnoy leaving that was printed in Prog magazine, so if the chapter on that is mostly a repeat, I'd even have less of a reason to justify purchase of Lifting Shadows edition 3.

It is all new information than what was presented in the magazine.  I can't imagine much of it will be too incredibly ground breaking and different but it is new info based off of unpublished interviews. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #287 on: June 24, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »
Okay, but if you are someone who already bought the first or second editions, I can see how some might feel that coughing up full price just for a few new chapters doesn't seem quite worth it. 

I'll be most interested to see if the current members (minus Mangini) are more frank with their comments regarding Portnoy's departure.  Let's face it, they have all been pretty diplomatic about it, but I am sure a lot of us who would like to hear them speak a little more candidly and honestly about what really went on behind the scenes before, during and after his departure.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #288 on: June 24, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
I'll be most interested to see if the current members (minus Mangini) are more frank with their comments regarding Portnoy's departure.  Let's face it, they have all been pretty diplomatic about it, but I am sure a lot of us who would like to hear them speak a little more candidly and honestly about what really went on behind the scenes before, during and after his departure.

I don't know, I think they've been pretty candid about the whole issue.  Frankly, I'm surprised they said as much as they have.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #289 on: June 24, 2013, 10:20:39 PM »
I'm confused.. When can we order, and how? Is pre-ordering better for any reason other than getting it the day it comes out? (sorry, new at this)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #290 on: June 24, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »
Okay, but if you are someone who already bought the first or second editions, I can see how some might feel that coughing up full price just for a few new chapters doesn't seem quite worth it. 

I agree that they have been pretty diplomatic almost to the point of frustration for people like us that want to know every, or at least most of the details.  I mean, I respect and admire them for how they have handled the situation but at some point I would like to hear all the dirt even though it really is none of my business. 

As far as coughing up more money goes, I think that implies this is done just to make more profit when it is really just a matter of getting a good book deal and making sure everything is up to date when the latest edition comes out.  I would much prefer Rich do it this way.  Afterall, each edition has been significantly cheaper than the last (at least Rich has stated the paperback will be of average paperback cost) so I'm not going to be complaining. 

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #291 on: June 25, 2013, 12:04:19 AM »
Yeah, I guess before I buy, I just kinda want to know if they speak openly or if it's just Prog Magazine's Novemeber 2010 issue where it just felt like a press release and calculated and rehearsed comments
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #292 on: June 25, 2013, 12:15:11 AM »
I wonder if an electronic version of the book will be available, i would much prefer to buy such a version.

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2013, 04:09:07 AM »

I take the point about the number of editions, but this is the situation. The original limited edition, 2 book set was especially special (!) and as with all books, there were then releases set for hardback and paperback. This is pretty standard in the publishing industry. Once I knew that the publishers wanted to do the hardback and now the paperback, I had two choices. I could either leave the text as it was, taking the story up to 2007, and let them release it anyway, or I could update the story to make it pretty current. As it's my name on the front of there, I chose the latter option. At least people then don't feel short-changed. The paperback is really aimed at people who to date haven't bought the previous versions, and is priced accordingly. I accept that there will be those who will still buy it even though they've already got a copy, but hopefully the price will make them reasonably happy, as I've battled hard to make sure that the price is as low as we can get it. 

There are no plans for an ebook or Kindle edition at  this time.

The book does contain new interviews and uses previously unused interviews from those I did with the band just after MP's departure.

Hope this clears a few things up!!!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2013, 04:26:32 AM »
Thanks Rich! I appreciate you stopping by to tell us.

I hope the new interviews are juicy and..... gossipy..... (for lack of a better term)
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #295 on: June 25, 2013, 08:47:20 AM »

There are no plans for an ebook or Kindle edition at  this time.

Daaamn that would make my life so much easier...
Anyway i'll have to get this book sometime.

Offline emtee

« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »
I have the first edition with our names printed in it. I wonder what they sell for nowadays...

I only read it once and used it as a reference a few times but the quality of the package was amazing.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: June 25, 2013, 09:07:54 AM »

I take the point about the number of editions, but this is the situation. The original limited edition, 2 book set was especially special (!) and as with all books, there were then releases set for hardback and paperback. This is pretty standard in the publishing industry. Once I knew that the publishers wanted to do the hardback and now the paperback, I had two choices. I could either leave the text as it was, taking the story up to 2007, and let them release it anyway, or I could update the story to make it pretty current. As it's my name on the front of there, I chose the latter option.

No matter which option you would have chosen, someone would bitch about it.  Personally, I have both  previous versions and intend to buy this one, as well. 

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #298 on: June 25, 2013, 09:16:33 AM »
Any serious DT fan that doesn't have this book is truly missing out. You would think everything is on the internet, especially about a band like Dream Theater, but this book has so many incredible details and interviews that shed tons of light on the band, both during good times and bad times.

I am stoked for this edition!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #299 on: June 25, 2013, 10:47:38 AM »
I'm glad to have the opportunity to finally pick one up! I haven't been able to get my hands on any prior to now
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #300 on: June 25, 2013, 11:11:28 AM »
And the fact that there are so many people who missed out on being able to pick up a copy before, is also the reason for the paperback! Everything is set now and I expect to be able to post a link to the purchase page by the end of the week.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #301 on: June 25, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »
I hope the new interviews are juicy and..... gossipy..... (for lack of a better term)

I still think 'candid' is the term you're looking for.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline darkshade

« Reply #302 on: June 25, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »
That's correct - the "Dreaming Aside" chapter which covered all the side-projects has got the chop to make room for all the new stuff!

So you're saying it's removed for the Dreaming Aside book? with new chapters???  :biggrin:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #303 on: June 25, 2013, 12:27:36 PM »
I have a copy of 2nd edition. Might buy this one sometime down the line :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #304 on: June 25, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
Any serious DT fan that doesn't have this book is truly missing out. You would think everything is on the internet, especially about a band like Dream Theater, but this book has so many incredible details and interviews that shed tons of light on the band, both during good times and bad times.

This exactly precisely.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: June 26, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »
https://liftingshadows.com/

Preorder is up. 10% off!  :metal

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #306 on: June 26, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »
Ordered!  September is going to be a great month!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #307 on: July 02, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »
I'll be happy to buy this for the third time.

I LOVE the "especially special" edition even though it isn't up to date.  The photo book is a big reason why.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2013, 12:56:59 AM »
Just preordered!  :metal
May The Force Be With You.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2013, 01:32:24 AM »
Wiith all the respect to Rich's great work, which I enjoyed in its first edition, I'm sceptical about buying the newest edition eventhough the price is quite low indeed. I mean, if the only new thing is MP's departure and MM's "wind of change" I believe there is tons of interviews and statements from everybody since MP announced his departure 'til up to a few days ago and. If you haven't any older editions of course you gotta have this, no question.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2013, 05:26:03 AM »
Since I don't have any of the previous versions this is great. Preordered  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #311 on: July 29, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »
Wiith all the respect to Rich's great work, which I enjoyed in its first edition, I'm sceptical about buying the newest edition eventhough the price is quite low indeed. I mean, if the only new thing is MP's departure and MM's "wind of change" I believe there is tons of interviews and statements from everybody since MP announced his departure 'til up to a few days ago and. If you haven't any older editions of course you gotta have this, no question.

I have no way of knowing this, but it's possible that they opened up more to Rich more because it was for the book.

Offline matte.braso

« Reply #312 on: August 21, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #313 on: August 21, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »
I'm only buying this if it comes out in an online/kindle version, because I've never trusted buying things online and trusting them to find their way to your doorstep without having your credit card number stolen and/or some other unpleasant thing happening.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #314 on: August 22, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »
I might get it as wall, it should be interesting read ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...