News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion

Started by Rich Wilson, November 13, 2009, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReaperKK

DebraKadabra

Dacling

Quote from: Rich Wilson on January 21, 2012, 05:40:06 AM
I admire the Da Vinci Code style attempt at guessing the band!!

Not Tool or Yes though - nice try!
My guess based on no facts but only for want of it. Spock's Beard.

Another_Won

Shouldn't there have been some sort of announcement by now?

RoeDent

Did anyone else think something would be announced 12 hours after that ticking clock video was posted?

TheGreatPretender

Quote from: RoeDent on April 12, 2013, 11:49:37 AM
Did anyone else think something would be announced 12 hours after that ticking clock video was posted?

Me. ._.

wasteland

Of course I did!  :blush

hefdaddy42

Maybe it's being published by Over The Edge?
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

wasteland

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on April 13, 2013, 06:35:46 AM
Maybe it's being published by Over The Edge?

Thanks to Over The Hef for the fact.

Sycsa

Last night I dreamed that the new album, the Luna Park DVD and the newest edition of this book along with a bunch of other stuff (autographed sticks, picks, posters, t-shirts) were released together in a mega package. I ordered it from Amazon for $200.

wasteland

So, nothing happened after all? I am looking at you, Mr. Wilson, I know you are watching this  :D

Rich Wilson

Literally just approved the cover and final text with the publishers!

?

wasteland

Quote from: Rich Wilson on April 26, 2013, 06:10:27 AM
Literally just approved the cover and final text with the publishers!

:o

That's magnificent news, Mr. Wilson! Really great to hear that! Can we then assume that the new edition of the book will be released togeter (that is in a similar timeframe, not in the same package) with either the DVD or the new album? :)

wasteland

QuoteThe cover art for the book is here! Thanks to the rather awesome Scott Hansen for the design!

Thanks Scott  :angel:

robwebster

Ha! That is... every single album represented, isn't it? Even Chaos in Motion! And Live at Budokan! Excellent.

BlobVanDam

Quote from: robwebster on June 20, 2013, 10:04:22 AM
Ha! That is... every single album represented, isn't it? Even Chaos in Motion! And Live at Budokan! Excellent.

Yep, and 5YIALT in the Mirror from Awake. At this res there are a few things I can't quite identify, but it seems as if everything is represented. I think the bird is from Greatest Hit even?
Not to mention the Photoshopping is much more seamless than on the DT covers....

TheGreatPretender

Well, it looks awesome. But I just wanna read the damn thing!

Rich Wilson

Yes, Scott has done an incredible job with the cover!

There will be a full release of info in the coming week or so, but basically, we are hoping to have this released in the beginning of September, with ordering available well before then. They'll be doing a pre-order discount too.

The delay has been down to making sure we could produce this at reasonable cost and make sure that we could ship it worldwide as cheaply as possible. One of the issues was the postage costs for previous versions, so we've tried our best to solve that. Don't mis-read that as it being a cheap and nasty paperback, as it really isn't!! It's just a LONG book in terms of pages and words, so there are printers out there who were taking the p*** in terms of production costs!

Anyway, we're nearly there now, so I'll release more when I know more!!

darkshade

September just keeps getting filled with awesome releases! Thank you.

Zydar

Quote from: BlobVanDam on June 20, 2013, 10:08:17 AM

Yep, and 5YIALT in the Mirror from Awake. At this res there are a few things I can't quite identify, but it seems as if everything is represented. I think the bird is from Greatest Hit even?
Not to mention the Photoshopping is much more seamless than on the DT covers....

I have that poster on my wall, minus the text and the unicyclist.

wasteland

Quote from: Zydar on June 20, 2013, 10:59:19 AM

Make a magnified copy of the ADTOE booklet, cut out the unicyclist and stick it somewhere on your poster with some tape. It's what Hugh Syme would do  :metal

Shadow2222

Quote from: Zydar on June 20, 2013, 10:59:19 AM

Yeah, I was gonna say, "DT fans don't remember this amazing poster (Black Clouds and Silver Anniversaries)?"

TheGreatPretender

Quote from: Shadow2222 on June 20, 2013, 12:44:55 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say, "DT fans don't remember this amazing poster (Black Clouds and Silver Anniversaries)?"

I have it on a T-Shirt. Yeah, I recognized it right away, I just wasn't sure if maybe it was a variation on previous versions of the book or something.

Shadow2222

Quote from: TheGreatPretender on June 20, 2013, 12:48:03 PM
Quote from: Shadow2222 on June 20, 2013, 12:44:55 PM

I have it on a T-Shirt. Yeah, I recognized it right away, I just wasn't sure if maybe it was a variation on previous versions of the book or something.

If I remember right, the original designer was SteveTheater, right?

It's definitely awesome that the unicyclist has been added!

Edit: ...or maybe it was SetlistScotty! I don't know how I got the usernames confused. Whoops, lol! Good job again!

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: wasteland on June 20, 2013, 11:02:36 AM
Make a magnified copy of the ADTOE booklet, cut out the unicyclist and stick it somewhere on your poster with some tape. It's what Hugh Syme would do  :metal

But...but...but that's what I did.  :-[  Are you saying I'm Hugh Syme now?   :biggrin:

Truth be told, some of the elements have been shifted around a little bit to make sure that they all fit within the boundaries of the cover (being portrait style, instead of landscape style which is what the original image was). But yeah, otherwise it's pretty much what was on the Black Clouds and Silver Anniversary poster and T-shirt.   :)  Glad to see it getting used again, and for something as appropriate as the biography! Thanx again Rich for choosing to use it!
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

Rich Wilson

Well it's an awesome job. And not wishing to disrespect Hugh Syme, but when you look at some of his stuff, this is leagues ahead. I've been sat on this art for over a year now whilst we finished everything on the book, so I'm really happy that I can reveal it now!

DebraKadabra

Quote from: Rich Wilson on June 20, 2013, 10:41:11 AM

There will be a full release of info in the coming week or so, but basically, we are hoping to have this released in the beginning of September, with ordering available well before then. They'll be doing a pre-order discount too.

The delay has been down to making sure we could produce this at reasonable cost and make sure that we could ship it worldwide as cheaply as possible. One of the issues was the postage costs for previous versions, so we've tried our best to solve that. Don't mis-read that as it being a cheap and nasty paperback, as it really isn't!! It's just a LONG book in terms of pages and words, so there are printers out there who were taking the p*** in terms of production costs!

Thanks mucho for the update regardless, sir. :hefdaddy :woot:

?

Great news and great cover! :tup Thanks to both of you, Rich and Scott :)

Shadow2222

Quote from: Rich Wilson on June 20, 2013, 10:41:11 AM

I know you said that the details are coming soon, but I just wanted to confirm that the "Side Projects" section was cut for this release (so that I know to hold onto my current edition AND buy the new one!).

Thanks Rich!

Rich Wilson

That's correct - the "Dreaming Aside" chapter which covered all the side-projects has got the chop to make room for all the new stuff!

Shadow2222

Quote from: Rich Wilson on June 21, 2013, 08:02:30 AM
That's correct - the "Dreaming Aside" chapter which covered all the side-projects has got the chop to make room for all the new stuff!

:tup Can't wait.

Big Hath

any chance of a pdf of that section for those of use that missed it last time?

wasteland

Mr. Wilson, will the book cover all the events leading up to the release of ADTOE or will it go further down the road onto the tour and maaaybe this new studio epoch?  :angel:

chudm

Quote from: Big Hath on June 21, 2013, 09:23:02 AM

any chance of a pdf of that section for those of use that missed it last time?

that would be great!