Author Topic: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion  (Read 74913 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion
« Reply #455 on: December 05, 2023, 06:34:56 AM »
I have the original with the cd, it also has my name in it. When they came to Albuquerque for the I&W&B tour, it was an easy choice for me to get the VIP and have them sign the Images section of the book.

It was great seeing their reactions to it, JLB in particular. I had them sign certain images from it and when I got to Mangini, I had him sign one of the blank pages at the end.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #456 on: December 05, 2023, 08:43:32 AM »
I finally got around to buying this book the other day.  I'm looking forward to digging in here soon.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #457 on: December 05, 2023, 09:55:18 AM »
I have the original with the cd, it also has my name in it. When they came to Albuquerque for the I&W&B tour, it was an easy choice for me to get the VIP and have them sign the Images section of the book.

It was great seeing their reactions to it, JLB in particular. I had them sign certain images from it and when I got to Mangini, I had him sign one of the blank pages at the end.
I have the original too, and my name is also on it! Yay!

I do recall that initial version having a lot of spelling errors, typos, etc. I don't blame Rich for that. I'm assuming the book simply did not get the editing pass it needed from the publisher. Everything was totally fine in the paperback version.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #458 on: December 05, 2023, 01:34:48 PM »
I had the big Images and Words hardcovers. Sold them. Now I have the paperback standard. Hopefully Rich updates this at some point. Demand seems to be there.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #459 on: December 05, 2023, 01:55:15 PM »

I have the original too, and my name is also on it! Yay!

I do recall that initial version having a lot of spelling errors, typos, etc. I don't blame Rich for that. I'm assuming the book simply did not get the editing pass it needed from the publisher. Everything was totally fine in the paperback version.
Rich was gravely ill during the period of time that it was supposed to be edited, so unfortunately he was for the most part out of the picture during that stage of the writing. It's also why that ugly majesty symbol was embossed on the outside cover and the front cover of the "Words" book instead of using a proper version of it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2023, 08:57:02 PM »
but do you mean the original is the version with Images & Words books?

Correct.

If this is the original, it was already very exclusive and limited right from the get-go.
IIRC it was somewhat limited, but not perhaps to the extent we might imagine. You'd have to ask Rich how many of the original book were published as I haven't a clue. But with all the people who pre-ordered it having the opportunity to get their names included in the book, you can get at least a rough idea.

I seem to remember that the number was announced in the run up to the release. Don't remember what the number was but I think it was still available for short time after the pre-order period before it sold out. There's got to be a post around somewhere from that time with the details.

Ha! Totally forgot my name is in there!

I always pull out the regular hard cover version when I want to reread something because I try to limit my handling of the deluxe box. (Can't even remember the last time I got it out to play the CD.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #461 on: December 08, 2023, 09:04:37 PM »
I just bought a copy of the deluxe one with the CD and while I got a little lucky, it's still agonizing. ;) :)
Didn't you get it when it was first published? I would have thought you did.
I have the hardcover, but not the release with the CD.  I actually wanted the CD most (to be a completist; I had the songs).
But weren't you around on the forums back then? It just surprises me that you wouldn't have snapped it up back then when it was new.

I bought the jumbo, super-deluxe, and my name's in it, but I recall it being quite pricey.  The funny thing for me is that I didn't realize the CD was in there until about 5 years ago.

By the way, I wonder if anyone whose name is in the book has gone onto any degree of fame or notoriety (or infamy).

For some reason, $75 is stuck in my head for the original price which I thought was a little high at the time but the design is very nicely and creatively done.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #462 on: December 14, 2023, 09:45:34 AM »
These days $75 is pretty standard for oversized hardcovers, or a hardcover box set, like the original edition of the DT bio was. I really regret selling it years ago.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #463 on: December 15, 2023, 10:39:25 PM »
These days $75 is pretty standard for oversized hardcovers, or a hardcover box set, like the original edition of the DT bio was. I really regret selling it years ago.

I've payed $325,- without package delivery costs for it last month. Fan-madness...
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...