Author Topic: Ranking Every Dream Theater Album  (Read 1439 times)

Offline MHStrawn

Ranking Every Dream Theater Album
« on: December 08, 2023, 10:59:31 PM »
Hi all

Am not too engaged on this forum so if I'm breaking a rule here I apologize and feel free to administer appropriate punitive actions.

But this is a site dedicated to Dream Theater and they're one of my favorite bands.  I've started making "ranking the entire catalog" videos of my favorite bands and wanted to share my Dream Theater version here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FOKSrXTvvc&t=78s&ab_channel=TheRock%26RollSoapBox

For those who aren't interested in unnecessarily lengthy, amateurishly produced video featuring simpleton editing, bad lighting and uncertain audio here's the cribnotes version: 

And yes, I know I'm missing A View From The Top.  Because I don't actually own it and thus can't give it a grade.  At some point I will bc I'm a sucker for DT but, as of now, not a "complete" catalog review.

Offline Dream Team

Re: Ranking Every Dream Theater Album
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 03:51:31 PM »
You lost me at SC being ranked higher than several really great albums.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 03:59:19 PM »

+1
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 04:40:34 PM »
I admire the spirit of your series, but why do a ranking of a band’s catalog if you haven’t yet listened to the whole catalog? ???

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 02:01:08 AM »

+1

Yeah. Me, too. Sorry for the pile on :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 09:52:32 AM »
You correctly identified BC&SL as their worst.  Nice job.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 10:59:57 AM »
What do the percentages reflect?

Also, you might want to peruse this thread from a little over a year ago:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57682.0
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 12:12:35 AM »

+1

It's all opinion so it's unlikely everyone will agree.  I acknowledge that my opinions on several DT albums are different than the general consensus.  I like In The Presence of Enemies a lot (more than the song Octavarium, for instance.  Rankings are somewhat designed to elicit discussion.

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 12:14:08 AM »

+1

Yeah. Me, too. Sorry for the pile on :biggrin:

Ah,  you're not piling on at all.  It's understandable if you, or anyone else, think differently.  I'm just giving my opinion and obviously others will have different opinions.  Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring.

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 12:17:02 AM »
I admire the spirit of your series, but why do a ranking of a band’s catalog if you haven’t yet listened to the whole catalog? ???

Well, I HAVE listened to the entire catalog but I don't OWN their last album.  That album, were I to add it to my collection of over 4.1 days of music would increase my DT collection by less than half of one percent...so it's not like I'm missing much. 

And if you dared to watch the video you'd see there's a lot I discuss that goes beyond the basic studio albums and include all the live albums, live DVDs, the "official bootleg" series and various other sources of DT content. 

That's why.

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 12:18:13 AM »
What do the percentages reflect?

Also, you might want to peruse this thread from a little over a year ago:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57682.0

Percentages are simply based on a 10-0 scale.  So if I give something an 80 it's 80 out of a possible 100...or 4 out of 5.  Will check out the other thread, but will be honest....if there's like 500 responses to it it's a bit hard to digest. 

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2023, 12:20:15 AM »

Yay!  Someone agreed with me!  I discuss on the video how, for me, that album was something of a "final straw".  I had been growing increasingly dissatisfied with a lot of DT's post SFAM releases and that one just cemented in my mind that the band had run out of ideas and was largely just regurgitating already worn out ideas.  I totally understood why MP asked the band for a sabbatical. 

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2023, 05:34:56 AM »

Well, I HAVE listened to the entire catalog but I don't OWN their last album.  That album, were I to add it to my collection of over 4.1 days of music would increase my DT collection by less than half of one percent...so it's not like I'm missing much. 

And if you dared to watch the video you'd see there's a lot I discuss that goes beyond the basic studio albums and include all the live albums, live DVDs, the "official bootleg" series and various other sources of DT content. 

That's why.

Yeah, my man. Meant no disrespect (and I did scroll through your video, so your welcome for the play count  ;D).

That all said, given all of the effort you put into the video, I just find it curious you wouldn't discuss the final album. I wasn't disrespectful, nor did I comment without clicking the link, so I find your tone a bit unnecessarily defensive...

You do you, but maybe keep the chirpiness in check, especially if your goal is to build an audience.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 05:01:28 PM »

Yay!  Someone agreed with me!  I discuss on the video how, for me, that album was something of a "final straw".  I had been growing increasingly dissatisfied with a lot of DT's post SFAM releases and that one just cemented in my mind that the band had run out of ideas and was largely just regurgitating already worn out ideas.  I totally understood why MP asked the band for a sabbatical.

Actually, MP leaving is what the band needed at that point, not a sabbatical. They immediately made one of their greatest albums afterward.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 05:48:04 PM »

Actually, MP leaving is what the band needed at that point, not a sabbatical. They immediately made one of their greatest albums afterward.

I'm with you both here–of all of DT's albums, ADTOE is the one that has grown on me the most.

I 'liked' it when it dropped, but all of these years later, I consider it a top-tier album and one that I continue to go back to.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2023, 04:00:44 AM »

I agree with you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2023, 08:03:04 AM »

Yes totally agree. Coming out of SC and then BCSL, you hear the sharp contrast that ADTOE offered. They had a lot to prove at that point...and given the abrupt line up change they do once again. It is a high bar for DT16. If the timing is just right for MP to return then let's all hear exactly why that is the case. In terms of legacy I think we are at a pivotal moment in the band's history.

I don't think they're planning on calling it quits any time soon, but it could make sense to view a big lineup change as the final chapter, if you will. If DT16 is not significantly better than View I will be very disappointed.

And last edit here, but I get why fans want MP back for live performances, but it is hard for me to imagine how this change makes the next studio album better. It certainly can (I am open to it) but on its face going from MM to MP doesn't make me think 'yeah, I see how this directly contributes to a better DT album going forward.'
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 08:19:14 AM by TheBarstoolWarrior »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2023, 08:38:46 AM »
Yeah, I mean the things MP is most likely to bring are things like "edginess" or some such. I hope he's done trying to imitate other bands' styles in their songs. But I think the temptation is going to be to get an album out as soon as possible so they can get on tour together. Hopefully there WILL be an extra spark of creativity due to the excitement of the reunion and it will be reflected in the music.

• PR permission
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2023, 08:50:20 AM »
Yeah, I mean the things MP is most likely to bring are things like "edginess" or some such. I hope he's done trying to imitate other bands' styles in their songs. But I think the temptation is going to be to get an album out as soon as possible so they can get on tour together. Hopefully there WILL be an extra spark of creativity due to the excitement of the reunion and it will be reflected in the music.

Yeah, I mean, I get the 'edginess' vibe for the live shows. I actually think Mangini is an amazingly good showman but for a number of reasons probably - some of which maybe I don't get - people think that MP is a much better stage presence. Either way, whether it is due to the relative difficulty of the parts he is playing or something else, I can see that he does cool things like bring fans on stage, stands up while the rest of the band is in the rabbit holes of their playing, etc.

How all of that is going to translate to a studio album escapes me because if I listen to say BCSL and then listen to DT12 or View, it sounds like Mangini is the one with the edge.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2023, 10:28:36 AM »
If DT16 is not significantly better than View I will be very disappointed.

"Significantly better"? Would be interested to hear your definition of that.

And I'd pick Black Clouds, comparitively weak as it is vs most of their earlier catalogue, 100% of the time against DT12 which, The Astonishing aside, is the most soporific album Dream Theater has recorded.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

• PR permission
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2023, 11:20:17 AM »
If DT16 is not significantly better than View I will be very disappointed.

"Significantly better"? Would be interested to hear your definition of that.

And I'd pick Black Clouds, comparitively weak as it is vs most of their earlier catalogue, 100% of the time against DT12 which, The Astonishing aside, is the most soporific album Dream Theater has recorded.

Maybe 'significantly' isn't necessary. I think View is an 8/10 so even if DT16 is only a little better that is still a pretty damn good album.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2023, 06:36:07 AM »

So the quality of your collection is based on the quantity? That's a very strange way to be satisfied, especially in prog-land. You put hours and hours in your 'Ranking the entire catalog' but last album, which is two years old now, still's not qualified. I just can't follow you in this.

I checked it out a little but make you a promise... as soon as A View is in here, I watch the whole piece that very day.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2023, 07:25:49 AM »
Thank you for sharing, I skimmed through the video and enjoyed the commentaries.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk