Author Topic: Help me!  (Read 1908 times)

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Help me!
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:10:32 AM »
Okay, here is the situation. I have a keyboard, and I would like to be able to play some basic stuff, not too hard - but just so it sounds good. I have had lessons, but that was more then a year ago and I forgot almost everything (Haven't practiced since - was too busy with my study). I have more free time now, and would like to start over -  but where do I start?

I can play some basic tunes with my right hand - by memorizing songs but also because I can read notes a bit. The trouble comes when I want my left hand to play along. I just can't get it working, always mess up within the first 3 seconds. Are there any (free) ways to get some basic lessons online, and does anybody of you maybe have some hints on where to start?

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
Re: Help me!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »
Start either with some simple independence exercises or learn a simple two hand peice to get you started. I started with Through My Words, which follows a simple melody on the right hand and simple chord changes on the left. It's a good one to learn actually, as it leaves a lot of room for embellishment and improv.

As far as exercises go, just play some melodies you know and learn the chords that go behind it. Practice them separately until you can play them both comfortably, then try playing them at the same time. Keep practicing and it soon gets easier to do.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:57:10 AM »
Thanks, I shall look at through my words and practice both seperate some more. I remember doing through my words a long time ago, but I just had my keyboard then so only did my right hand :p.

Offline Frank

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 03:37:37 PM »
When I started playing piano it was extremely difficult for me to be able to play with both my left and right hand; to some people it is completely normal for them to not even struggle with it. The only advice I could give you is to play slowly at first, thinking about what you're doing, then progress to become faster and faster while thinking less until it becomes second-hand nature. Good luck. :)
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 04:58:58 PM »
When I started playing piano it was extremely difficult for me to be able to play with both my left and right hand; to some people it is completely normal for them to not even struggle with it. The only advice I could give you is to play slowly at first, thinking about what you're doing, then progress to become faster and faster while thinking less until it becomes second-hand nature. Good luck. :)
Thanks! I'll just keep practicing.

I'm practicing Through My Words atm, it is indeed quite a handy starting point.