Author Topic: John Mayer  (Read 8948 times)

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
John Mayer
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
Well seeing as Battle Studies is now available in... some forms on the internet, I thought it would be good to make a thread about one of the few 'pop' artists I like. For anybody who thinks he really is just pop, as almost all of his singles would seem to suggest, I would recommend checking out the wonderful live album 'Where The Light Is', where he displays his guitar talents that make him, in my opinion, the best blues guitarist since SRV. So yeah, am I the only fan of him here, or does anybody else constantly have the riff to 'Vultures' playing in their head?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: John Mayer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:26:01 PM »
I've been getting into him more lately, and I listened to the world premiere of Battle Studies last night. It was his guitar playing that initially interested me (the solo in Gravity, from his latest live DVD, in particular), and he's definitely a strong songwriter.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »
I'm a huge fanboy, embarrassingly so. The guy is my idol. I've listened to Battle Studies twice now, and while I wasn't digging the majority of it at first, I appreciated it more the 2nd time around.

It would have been so easy for him to just ride the coattails of his last record and make Continuum no. 2 but the fact that he didn't and tried something new is really respectable. My favorite song on the new record has to be "Friends, Lovers or Nothing". Still not digging "Assassin" 100%.

Post here more!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 02:10:42 AM »
Well seeing as Battle Studies is now available in... some forms on the internet, I thought it would be good to make a thread about one of the few 'pop' artists I like. For anybody who thinks he really is just pop, as almost all of his singles would seem to suggest, I would recommend checking out the wonderful live album 'Where The Light Is', where he displays his guitar talents that make him, in my opinion, the best blues guitarist since SRV. So yeah, am I the only fan of him here, or does anybody else constantly have the riff to 'Vultures' playing in their head?

Wow!  He's a good player and I respect your opinion, but I don't know if I'd go that far.  There are a few blues guitarists post-SRV that I'd consider better than JM.

I think I've said it before here, but I'd enjoy his music a lot more if he never spoke another word in his life.  I reaaaaally dug Continuum when it came out, but seeing some of his live stuff and some interviews on youtube soured the whole experience for me.  Everytime the guy speaks it just reaks of cocky, dumbass douchebaggery.

'Tis a shame.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 08:37:45 AM »

Wow!  He's a good player and I respect your opinion, but I don't know if I'd go that far.  There are a few blues guitarists post-SRV that I'd consider better than JM.

Yeah I think even he would admit that.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »
I don't think he makes particularly strong albums, but his best 10 - 20 songs make for excellent listening.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 11:08:03 AM »
I have mixed opinions about John Mayer. Some of the music is fantastic, and others are complete throwaways.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 11:47:58 AM »
I've never been able to get into his music, but that's probably because I have a penis.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 11:53:16 AM »
I've never been able to get into his music, but that's probably because I have a penis.
:facepalm:

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 11:53:58 AM »

Oh sorry, it appears that my penis has poked you in your right eye.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 11:55:33 AM »
CONDESCENDING PROG FAN ALERT

WHEEEOOOO WHEEEEOOOO WHEEEEEOOOO *SIREN NOISE*

:-*

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 11:56:31 AM »

Oh sorry, it appears that my penis has poked you in your right eye.
That hurt almost as much as the last time I listened to BE!

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 12:00:05 PM »
CONDESCENDING PROG FAN ALERT

You don't necessarily have to be a prog fan to have a penis.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 12:49:25 PM »

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »
Oh, I got your eye too?

Gosh, I am all left penises today.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 01:44:44 PM »
Watch where you're poking that thing!!!

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 02:48:19 PM »
Well this turned to fail quickly. I am glad I have the ability to realize how talented and musical John Mayer is, it's a great gift.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 04:17:07 PM »
His new songs are a blast to play and sing

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 09:33:25 PM »
Well this turned to fail quickly. I am glad I have the ability to realize how talented and musical John Mayer is, it's a great gift.

Oh, I can recognize that he's a good songwriter, but to enjoy it I would have to give up my penis. I'm not ready for that kind of change.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 10:17:06 PM »
I was willing to have an open mind for his new album until I just heard a promo for it on TV. One of the songs has the exact same chord progression and sound as "Stop This Train." He's basically rewriting his music and selling it again, which is what most horrible crap bands do.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 10:27:32 PM »
Actually, it doesn't.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 09:32:12 AM »
I assume the song you're referring to is Who Says which, while admittedly sounding quite a lot like Stop This Train on a first listen, has an overall incredibly different vibe and feeling. I much prefer Who Says, I've always been kind of 'meh' towards Stop This Train. I'd also like to clear up that based on everything that I've seen, I absolutely HATE HIM as a person and I only really enjoy his work from Continuum onwards. I also think Continuum > Battle Studies, although it's too early to judge fairly yet.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »

If I'd had coffee in my mouth I'd have either:

a) sprayed it through my nose, all over my monitor, possibly into the next cubicle.
b) created an internal vacuum in my attempts to not spray it and ended up sharting instead.

Either way, I lol'd heartily.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 10:53:43 AM »
I never understood the hate for the guy

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 12:38:32 PM »
I like some of the JMT stuff, as much as I could like blues music, but I don't really like his solo material.  I wouldn't call it bad music though, so.....whatevs.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 04:08:10 PM »
Most people who hate him have only listened to his radio hits and view him as some sort of typical pretty boy pop music douchebag of sorts, which really doesn't describe him at all.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 04:11:51 PM »
Most people who hate him have only listened to his radio hits and view him as some sort of typical pretty boy pop music douchebag of sorts, which really doesn't describe him at all.

I don't like him because he's riding on Clapton's coattails.  Hard.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 04:18:21 PM »

Sneaky, Every band rides someones coattails.  How many times did we hear that DT loved Rush and you can hear it in their music.  I don't find it a bad thing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 04:27:21 PM »

Sneaky, Every band rides someones coattails.  How many times did we hear that DT loved Rush and you can hear it in their music.  I don't find it a bad thing.

Hmmm yeah I suppose.  The thing that really annoys me is how he purposely used the shitty bubblegum pop to make himself famous so he could carve out a name for himself as some shit-hot blues guitarist.  Sure, its clever.  But its a bit of a slap in the face to the blues musicians who've toiled for years playing the music they love, only to be a blip on the radar.  I question the guy's passion.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 04:31:57 PM »

Oh, I can recognize that he's a good songwriter, but to enjoy it I would have to give up my penis. I'm not ready for that kind of change.

I'm not gonna bother persuing this anymore... It's just idiotic.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 04:49:51 PM »

Hmmm yeah I suppose.  The thing that really annoys me is how he purposely used the shitty bubblegum pop to make himself famous so he could carve out a name for himself as some shit-hot blues guitarist.  Sure, its clever.  But its a bit of a slap in the face to the blues musicians who've toiled for years playing the music they love, only to be a blip on the radar.  I question the guy's passion.
Eh...  I don't think you can necessarily accuse him of that. It might be true, but it might not be. He's proven to be successful with both types of music, so who's to say he doesn't have a passion for both? Or that he didn't just evolve and shift as a musician? I'm not convinced it was some grand scheme of his.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »

He's passionate about both types of music, which I think is pretty evident in all of his recordings and from what he's said. You've pegged him wrong.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »

I'm not gonna bother persuing this anymore... It's just idiotic.

I R BRAKKUM, I R SYRYS

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 06:20:37 AM »
I'll give John Mayer one thing.  He nailed Jennifer Love Hewitt and Jennifer Aniston.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 12:24:04 PM »
Loving Battle Studies right now. It's better than Continuum because Mayer's more in his element, doing more acoustic-pop stuff than blues.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!