Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 383470 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Transitus Announced)
« Reply #2975 on: February 09, 2021, 10:54:00 AM »
I love that guy.  His enthusiasm is contagious.   

(I also like the art on the walls:  there was a Beatles poster, and Zeppelin IV and Hemispheres album covers.  I didn't get the other two, though the one between Zep and Rush seems familiar.)

The right side is:

IV
Billion Dollar Babies
Hemispheres
Moonmadness
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2976 on: February 09, 2021, 11:42:12 AM »
Dammit.  I should have gotten BDB. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2977 on: February 09, 2021, 11:55:21 AM »
New Star One, bring it on Arjen!  :metal :corn
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2978 on: February 09, 2021, 01:11:55 PM »
I'm down with a new Star One album as long as he doesn't do it in the same style as the last Ayreon album, all that spoken dialog ruins it for me. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2979 on: February 09, 2021, 02:33:06 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2980 on: March 03, 2021, 09:17:41 AM »
Anyone have the Downloaded PDF of Transitus lyrics?

I have the Earbook myself but a friend just bought the CD version and Arjens link is not valid znymore.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2981 on: March 03, 2021, 10:35:44 AM »

I have the Earbook myself but a friend just bought the CD version and Arjens link is not valid znymore.

Yes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2982 on: March 03, 2021, 10:39:02 AM »

I am sure Arjen will send it himself, if you were to message him. He's pretty nice about things, and is probably unaware that the link isn't working anymore.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2983 on: March 03, 2021, 12:48:37 PM »
Interesting approach to the new Star One, not saying I'm opposed, but I agree with Chad that the multi singer approach was pretty critical to those first two albums and it'll be a big change. That said I think this is the only way he could do it without the obvious FU to Russell Allen when the entire rest of the cast returns and he's replaced with someone.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2984 on: March 03, 2021, 12:58:19 PM »
Interesting approach to the new Star One, not saying I'm opposed, but I agree with Chad that the multi singer approach was pretty critical to those first two albums and it'll be a big change. That said I think this is the only way he could do it without the obvious FU to Russell Allen when the entire rest of the cast returns and he's replaced with someone.

Not that Russell doesn't necessarily deserve an FU for the FU he gave Arjen.  But, Arjen ain't that kind of guy.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2985 on: March 03, 2021, 01:12:52 PM »

Why would it be an FU to Allen if Allen was invited to be on Arjens project? Was Allen told that he would forever be a part of the cast of singers on all Star One releases? Or are all the singers on an at-will basis, where they can be replaced if for any reason, including if the creator(Arjen) decides to change it up?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2986 on: March 03, 2021, 01:51:42 PM »
I'm sorry if it's already been posted but who did Arjen say was doing vocals for the new Star One?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2987 on: March 03, 2021, 01:54:58 PM »
I'm sorry if it's already been posted but who did Arjen say was doing vocals for the new Star One?

AFAIK, nothing has been revealed yet, as he will dole out information about personnel in his usual guessing-game format.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2988 on: March 03, 2021, 02:01:50 PM »
So right now it's all speculation that he's only going to have one vocalist?

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2989 on: March 03, 2021, 02:02:43 PM »

AFAIK, nothing has been revealed yet, as he will dole out information about personnel in his usual guessing-game format.

-Marc.

This makes the Russel Allen speculation funnier now.  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2990 on: March 03, 2021, 02:07:31 PM »
Well, knowing Arjen's reputation as a "nice guy" and given that time heals all most some wounds, maybe he'll invite Russell to be on this new Star One album after all?  You know, sort of taking the high road for the sake of the project, but if you ask me that dude he brought in to replace Russell Allen in those live shows John Jaycee something...is a very solid vocalist in the same vein as Allen.  He even sounds a little like Allen.  I'd be fine with him instead of Allen.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2991 on: March 03, 2021, 02:11:42 PM »
So right now it's all speculation that he's only going to have one vocalist?

I might be wrong but I think he confirmed many vocalists but possibly one per track.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2992 on: March 03, 2021, 02:12:49 PM »
Well, knowing Arjen's reputation as a "nice guy" and given that time heals all most some wounds, maybe he'll invite Russell to be on this new Star One album after all?  You know, sort of taking the high road for the sake of the project, but if you ask me that dude he brought in to replace Russell Allen in those live shows John Jaycee something...is a very solid vocalist in the same vein as Allen.  He even sounds a little like Allen.  I'd be fine with him instead of Allen.

I was about to post the same thing.  :lol

John Jaycee Culpiers did a fantastic job on Ayreon Universe and as the Barbarian on The Electric Castle live. I wouldn't mind him at all.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2993 on: March 03, 2021, 02:15:40 PM »

John Jaycee Culpiers did a fantastic job on Ayreon Universe and as the Barbarian on The Electric Castle live. I wouldn't mind him at all.

Yeah, actually, even though I forgot his last name I've been chatting with him on Facebook about potentially doing some vocals on our album.  He said he's interested, I just don't know if I'm going to need him yet, but I definitely want to work with him at some point.   If the guy I'm trying to get for the role of "Drug Dealer" on our album falls through there's a pretty good chance I'm going to end up hiring John.  I'll know for sure in about a month.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2994 on: March 03, 2021, 02:34:03 PM »

Yeah, actually, even though I forgot his last name I've been chatting with him on Facebook about potentially doing some vocals on our album.  He said he's interested, I just don't know if I'm going to need him yet, but I definitely want to work with him at some point.   If the guy I'm trying to get for the role of "Drug Dealer" on our album falls through there's a pretty good chance I'm going to end up hiring John.  I'll know for sure in about a month.

:tup :tup

Still looking forward to checking out your album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2995 on: March 03, 2021, 02:37:36 PM »
if not for covid you would probably have it in your hands by now  :(

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2996 on: March 03, 2021, 02:40:15 PM »

Why would it be an FU to Allen if Allen was invited to be on Arjens project? Was Allen told that he would forever be a part of the cast of singers on all Star One releases? Or are all the singers on an at-will basis, where they can be replaced if for any reason, including if the creator(Arjen) decides to change it up?

You're missing the point.  It would be an FU to Allen if Star Three was Floor, Damian, Dan, and <insert someone else here>.

And yes, Arjen confirmed on FB that it was going to be all different kinds of vocalists.
https://www.facebook.com/109887886151/posts/10157430899691152/

"New Star One album in the making!"

:metal :metal :metal

-Marc.

Keep up folks!   :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2997 on: March 03, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »

You're missing the point.  It would be an FU to Allen if Star Three was Floor, Damian, Dan, and <insert someone else here>.

How so? Just because he would be the only vocalist that changed? and why should he feel upset about that?

Arjen was upset at Russel for not doing the live show and giving him a short notice of his cancellation, which led Arjen to have to suddenly and quickly search for a replacement singer that has a voice just as powerful as Russel, and would be accepted by the fans because Arjen has no idea how they will react. Good thing he found Jaycee.

And that is all moot anyways, as Arjen stated it isn't going to be just Floor, Damian, Dan, and Russel again. It'll have many different singers for each track.  :biggrin:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2998 on: March 03, 2021, 09:14:38 PM »
I thought it would be one different singer for each track, but then again, I only watched the video once and that was a month ago. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2999 on: March 03, 2021, 10:30:36 PM »
I thought it would be one different singer for each track, but then again, I only watched the video once and that was a month ago. :lol

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. It'll have many different singers, one for each track. I forgot to carry the one...

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3000 on: March 03, 2021, 11:08:08 PM »
So, instead of Star One, we are getting something along the lines of The Universal Migrator.

To me, Star One is Russ, Damian, Floor and Dan. Anything else is Ayreon or a different project altogether, at least in Arjen's world. I know he had the bonus disc on the last Star One album that had other singers so maybe it will be along that line. I will admit, that is the album that introduced me to Tony Martin and his amazing voice.

Crap, here I am arguing with myself now.  :facepalm:
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3001 on: March 04, 2021, 12:18:13 AM »
If the new Star One is anything like the Universal Migrator Part 2 I would be happy, because that's one hell of a record.  :metal :metal :metal

But I still think Star One should be the original cast, but I can also understand why Arjen won't approach Russell Allen for it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3002 on: March 04, 2021, 05:01:00 AM »

To me, Star One is Russ, Damian, Floor and Dan. Anything else is Ayreon or a different project altogether, at least in Arjen's world.

I'm with you on this.  If it's going to be (lyrically) out of the Ayreon world, but otherwise some kind of consistent theme like the first two, but with a whole different cast of vocalists, then maybe he should just call it Staryeone (pronounced Star E on)  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3003 on: March 04, 2021, 09:19:24 AM »
Personally, changing (some of the) vocalists don't make it no Star One for me. But I would've preferred a more "band-like" approach that the first two had, instead of the Ayreon approach. But in the end good music is good music. I like him returning to the singer per song approach for this one, hopefully the songs make the singers shine and let them use their abilities.

And I can't blame Arjen, he is probably at the peak of his popularity, his latest releases have done very well. So he now probably has the ability to get some of his favourite singers or big(ger) names easier, especially in the non-touring times of covid.

Also, wasn't The Source initially going to be a Star One album?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3004 on: March 04, 2021, 10:13:45 AM »
If anyone is looking for a download of the Transitus PDF you can find it here

https://smarturl.it/ayreon-MLG

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3005 on: March 04, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »

To me, Star One is Russ, Damian, Floor and Dan. Anything else is Ayreon or a different project altogether, at least in Arjen's world.

I'm with you on this.  If it's going to be (lyrically) out of the Ayreon world, but otherwise some kind of consistent theme like the first two, but with a whole different cast of vocalists, then maybe he should just call it Staryeone (pronounced Star E on)  :lol

HAHAHA.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3006 on: March 06, 2021, 09:09:10 AM »
Arjen replied he'd love to have both Russel Allen AND his live replacement Jaycee Kuipers. So hopefully we can have both :)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3007 on: April 25, 2021, 04:05:19 AM »
Two things... anyone watch the interview Arjen posted yesterday?  I saw it was 40 mins long, but didn't have the time (or appetite) to watch.  Apparently some Star One update is buried in there.

Secondly, listened to Live on Earth yesterday, and the "ARA-BI-A" moments in Into the Black Hole finally made sense.  Bizarre, since I discovered Vengeance like 15 years ago.  I hadn't listened to them in a long time until a couple months back. 

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3008 on: April 25, 2021, 11:50:46 AM »
arjen said the new album has a different singer for each song, plus a guest solo by one of his heroes, which probably is Blackmore from the enthousiasm he had about it.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3009 on: April 26, 2021, 08:54:47 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=187615689870582

Looks like Ed Warby is recording drums for the new Star One!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!