Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 383717 times)

Offline nattmorker

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Transitus Announced)
« Reply #2905 on: October 12, 2020, 05:43:16 PM »
I think both Web of Lies and Connect the Dots are lovely songs. I get the lyrics/subject matters are cringy/mundane to people, but the music is good in my opinion and the lyrics kind of fit and most certainly represent a side of human nature.

I totally agree! I really enjoy these songs. English is not my mother tongue, so, I fell in love musically with Connect the Dots and then, long after, I read the lyrics. They never bother me, I stil love this song.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2906 on: October 12, 2020, 08:09:26 PM »
Got this email earlier this evening:

Hello Marc,

Your free gift has shipped!

Please see the online shipment tracking information below and follow along for updates to your shipment.

Carrier Name: USPS

Tracking Number: [numbers]

We appreciate your patience as we try to work through this unfortunate issue.

Best regards,

Mascot US Online Store Customer Service Team

I guess I'll see what I'm getting within a week or so. I honestly don't expect to get my earbook before the end of the month, but if I do, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2907 on: October 14, 2020, 09:24:18 AM »
I just got mine yesterday (from Amazon).  Paid thru the teeth for it, but it's nice to have.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2908 on: October 16, 2020, 06:25:57 AM »
I think this showed up in my FB feed, and don't think it's been posted here yet.

http://bravewords.com/features/ayreon-human-equations-and-horror-stories

I want to do a colder album now (laughs). I think the last Star One album was 10 years ago, so I think it's time for a new one.

:panicattack:

Let's hope he/Russell do reconcile.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2909 on: October 16, 2020, 01:37:49 PM »
I got my "free item" from Mascot today - a black tote bag, measuring 14.5" wide and 15" tall, with the AYREON TRANSITUS logo printed on it.

That's it.

Just the tote bag. Nothing inside. No notes, no apology, not even a download code for the album.

Seems like a very hallow "apology" from them.  :censored

I think this showed up in my FB feed, and don't think it's been posted here yet.

http://bravewords.com/features/ayreon-human-equations-and-horror-stories

I want to do a colder album now (laughs). I think the last Star One album was 10 years ago, so I think it's time for a new one.

:panicattack:

Let's hope he/Russell do reconcile.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread from an interview with Arjen last month, he's been spinning the Star One albums to prepare for a new one. I think I'd be OK if Russell wasn't a part of the next one, but I'm sure plenty of fans will miss him. I think Arjen could throw in a new vocalist or two into the third Star One album, TBH, just to mix things up a bit.

I'd mostly be curious as to what kinds of sci-fi he'll write about, considering all the films and books that have come out since 2010 that he could "borrow" from for lyrical ideas.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2910 on: October 19, 2020, 12:01:12 PM »
Just listened to a new Arjen interview this morning and he mentioned that he was originally planning a set of live shows for September 2021, which, going by previous shows, probably would have been announced by now if those plans were still likely, though given the state of the world, I'm sure the shows will be pushed back to 2022.

I wonder what the shows would have focused on? Another full concept album perhaps? Like I said earlier in this thread, either TTOE or Transitus would make sense given their smaller casts, though I'm sure seeing The Source live would be a treat as well. I doubt he'd do another "Ayreon Universe" type show, though I'm sure there are enough amazing songs from his albums that he could do another set without overlapping the first one.

Perhaps, in time with a new Star One album, he could do a full-on Star One show and play most of the first two albums live, along with a few new songs, though as said earlier in this thread, that would require him and Russell burying the hatchet (same if they did The Source), so who knows how likely that could be.

Hopefully, one day, we will find out what he plans to do for his next big live concert, and that all those plans aren't just tossed away.

-Marc.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2911 on: October 19, 2020, 12:26:05 PM »
I also planned on him doing them in 2021 (makes sense, so far he did them every two years) and planned to take some time off in September. Would be great if he still goes with it, because now that ProgPower Europe was postponed to 2021, I could do both in one trip.

Of course, he usually announced these things around now, so I agree 2022 seems more likely.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2912 on: October 19, 2020, 03:20:26 PM »
I imagine a lot of the artists involved will want to tour and make money with their own act after this shithole of a year. And with all the additional uncertainty involved, organising these type of shows seems like a nightmare. For example, which production companies and venues will survive? The fallout of covid will be long and heavy for the live entertainment sector. 2022 seems like a wise move.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2913 on: October 21, 2020, 01:26:46 PM »
I'm all in for some new Star One but I'd be shocked if Arjen ever works with Russell Allen again after the dick move he pulled. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2914 on: October 21, 2020, 01:43:57 PM »
Russell heard Arjen took one in the face and he ain't gonna work with no bitch. COME ON GET UP
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2915 on: October 21, 2020, 02:32:33 PM »
I'm all in for some new Star One but I'd be shocked if Arjen ever works with Russell Allen again after the dick move he pulled.

Sadly, I think you're right.

I think Arjen had always said that the four singers of Star One were a package deal, and it wasn't "Star One" without them.  Maybe he just blows up all four of 'em, and get a new quartet?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2916 on: October 21, 2020, 03:15:16 PM »

I think Arjen had always said that the four singers of Star One were a package deal, and it wasn't "Star One" without them.  Maybe he just blows up all four of 'em, and get a new quartet?

"Hi Damien, remember how Russell was a dick to me and pulled out of those shows? well, you're fired"

;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2917 on: October 21, 2020, 04:18:59 PM »
Yeah, something like that.  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2918 on: October 21, 2020, 05:24:35 PM »
Yeah, I kinda thought the same thing and ended that thought at Arjen screwing Damian over.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2919 on: October 21, 2020, 10:23:52 PM »

"Hi Damien, remember how Russell was a dick to me and pulled out of those shows? well, you're fired"

;D

:rollin
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2920 on: October 22, 2020, 02:57:48 AM »
Wasn't The Source initially going to be a Star One record?

I'd be down for a new one. Honestly I am fine with him replacing Russel, as much as I love his vocals. Studiowise there are enough fantastic rock voices to fill that gap. Live is harder but in the end that matters less to me because the studio release is what I would be listening to for years to come (and John did a fantastic job at the Universe shows, I think). But personally I would also never say never in regards to Russel returning.

Also, in relation to Star One, I was reading a Dutch interview and I never knew that Arjen mailed Bruce with just the line/lyrics "‘I’m not a prisoner, I’m a free man", after Bruce called him that he and his manager thought he shouldn't have revealed his collab early. Tactful Arjen :lol

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2921 on: October 22, 2020, 03:11:01 AM »
What did Russel do?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2922 on: October 22, 2020, 03:37:15 AM »
from the Symphony X thread (because I was sure there was one in this thread too but I can't find it :|):

What happened between Russ and Arjen?

Russel was scheduled to play at one of Ayreon's shows, having commited to it.
He bailed out to go on tour with Adrenaline Mob.

Arjen was obviously pissed off about it and stated that he will work with other singers in the future so don't expect Russel on any Ayreon album anytime soon.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2923 on: October 22, 2020, 03:43:30 AM »
That sucks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2924 on: October 22, 2020, 06:27:09 AM »
from the Symphony X thread (because I was sure there was one in this thread too but I can't find it :|):

Arjen was obviously pissed off about it and stated that he will work with other singers in the future so don't expect Russel on any Ayreon album anytime soon.

I thought it was because he wasn't ready to tour after the accident with Amob.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2925 on: October 22, 2020, 06:48:17 AM »

I thought it was because he wasn't ready to tour after the accident with Amob.

No. The accident happened later (than the cancellation) during the tour he went on instead of the Ayreon shows. And I recall the cancellation being relatively close to the shows, given that the show took almost two years of planning.

I think absolutely nobody would blame Russel for taking time off after those horrible events, but that happened later than the cancellation.

Edit for accuracy: The cancellation was at the end of June 2017, the accident in the middle of July 2017, the shows in September 2017. See page 51 of this thread for the cancellation discussion.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:58:10 AM by ErHaO »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2926 on: October 22, 2020, 07:01:20 AM »
Correct.  Russell was announced as part of the Ayreon Universe Live 'cast', then in the summer (I wanna say in May/June) Russell pulled out.  AMob bus accident was July 14.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2927 on: October 22, 2020, 09:52:54 AM »
The only reasons I see why Arjen was pissed is because Allen told him so late, and was likely when Arjen was beginning his Rehearsals. So, Arjen then had to rush and find a vocalist capable of doing Allen's part justice, good thing Arjen knew of Jaycee. Kudos for Jaycee for stepping up to the plate and doing a fantastic job.

I am not totally blaming Allen either, he could have had a tough decision to make himself (not realizing he also had AMob shows booked when he agreed to do the Ayreon Universe shows, or vice versa. Or, AMob contractual obligations that over ruled the Ayreon shows.) . For him, after the AMob accident, I feel, it was an even more higher power decision he had made, sometimes life is cruel like that.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2928 on: October 22, 2020, 09:59:38 AM »
IIRC, it wasn't like he (Russell) agreed, and then a week later realized he double booked himself.  I seem to recall it was months in between the time the vocalists were announced, and Russell bailed.  My take on the whole thing was the AMob tour was scheduled AFTER he'd already agreed to do Ayreon Live, and THAT is what pissed Arjen off as to the reason of his cancellation.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2929 on: October 22, 2020, 10:09:33 AM »
IIRC, it wasn't like he (Russell) agreed, and then a week later realized he double booked himself.  I seem to recall it was months in between the time the vocalists were announced, and Russell bailed.

Oh yeah, of course, it was in the months way after he Agreed.

My take on the whole thing was the AMob tour was scheduled AFTER he'd already agreed to do Ayreon Live, and THAT is what pissed Arjen off as to the reason of his cancellation.

That's a reason for why I mentioned AMob contractual obligations. Russell, only being one person, could have been over-ruled and had no choice but to pull out of the Ayreon shows.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2930 on: October 22, 2020, 10:48:17 AM »
^even if that is true, Allen should have known about the obligation and told Arjen about it and all of this drama could have been avoided.  So Allen is either an incredibly shitty businessman or he's a dickhead. Or both, because I can't see how this helps his career in any way. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2931 on: October 22, 2020, 11:56:48 AM »
^even if that is true, Allen should have known about the obligation and told Arjen about it and all of this drama could have been avoided.  So Allen is either an incredibly shitty businessman or he's a dickhead. Or both, because I can't see how this helps his career in any way.

Could have been sudden. Adrenaline Mob doesn't need years in advance to plan shows, they just need promoters to book them.

We don't know just how much Allen is involved in Adrenaline Mob, he could be that much in the know or just comes in when he's called upon to sing. If he's the latter, all he would know is, there's these shows already booked, the rest of the guys agreed to do them, you knew the situation when you signed on. He probably wasn't allowed to even tell Arjen until when he actually told him. These contract obligations like this could also be a reason why MP decided to leave the band, other than them not really gaining much traction.

It's an unfortunate part of the music business many, many people don't even know about. The legal contractual obligations can ruin a totally fantastic band. And why you need a lawyer and many other people when you branch out into other projects.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2932 on: October 22, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »
Well given how Arjen has openly admitted to planning a new Star One album across several interviews over the last couple of months, I can see one of three things happening:
1 - Arjen and Russell have already made up and that's why Arjen is so gung-ho about making another Star One album
2 - Arjen and Russell haven't made up yet, but maybe Arjen has gotten over it and still plans to invite Russell back for the next Star One, and maybe Russell will do it if he feels bad about ditching the Universe shows
3 - Arjen has not forgiven Russell, and probably never plans to work with him ever again, and so the new Star One may feature a new vocalist to replace Russell.

Either way, it seems like Arjen is ready for some non-Ayreon stuff given how much he's released since 2016 - five releases in the last four-five years! I'm sure Arjen will want to take a break from Ayreon stuff for a little bit, especially during the pandemic while shows aren't an option for awhile.

-Marc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2933 on: October 22, 2020, 12:28:08 PM »
I don't really care. I was just giving reasons as to why, If Arjen is holding a grudge against Allen for dissing him and his shows, Allen did what he did. Especially in the Music Business...

I was gonna point out, Arjen may not even be all that mad at Russell anymore. At the time, yes he was mad, and has every right to be mad. Knowing how Arjen comes off as caring, he was surely disheartened at the news of the accident.

Sometimes, it's all music business stuff, and we the fans, do not have the guaranteed right to know everything that went on, and why they feel the way they did at the time. They have the guaranteed right not to tell us jack squat.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2934 on: October 22, 2020, 12:32:43 PM »
Well given how Arjen has openly admitted to planning a new Star One album across several interviews over the last couple of months, I can see one of three things happening:
1 - Arjen and Russell have already made up and that's why Arjen is so gung-ho about making another Star One album
2 - Arjen and Russell haven't made up yet, but maybe Arjen has gotten over it and still plans to invite Russell back for the next Star One, and maybe Russell will do it if he feels bad about ditching the Universe shows
3 - Arjen has not forgiven Russell, and probably never plans to work with him ever again, and so the new Star One may feature a new vocalist to replace Russell.

Either way, it seems like Arjen is ready for some non-Ayreon stuff given how much he's released since 2016 - five releases in the last four-five years! I'm sure Arjen will want to take a break from Ayreon stuff for a little bit, especially during the pandemic while shows aren't an option for awhile.

-Marc.

I'm happy he still really wants to do the Movie. I'm more interested in him being able to do that. I'd definitely fund that.

I really hope he can at least do the Star One album though. It seems like he's been wanting to do one all this time, yet things haven't steered that direction.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2935 on: October 24, 2020, 10:03:54 PM »
my comprehensive review:

"it's fine"

Same with Herrick. Crom Willing, it will grow on me.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2936 on: October 25, 2020, 01:48:23 AM »
I atleast would be really bummed hearing a new Star One without Russell. Arjen and Russel have always been a great combo.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2937 on: October 25, 2020, 06:06:33 AM »
I atleast would be really bummed hearing a new Star One without Russell. Arjen and Russel have always been a great combo.

Me too... but I'll take a Russell-less Star One release over no release at all.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2938 on: October 26, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »
My son emailed Arjen to ask if he had ever considered covering Babylon 5 in a Star One song.  The response was that he is working on a new S1 album, and that he has considered B5 as subject matter, as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2939 on: October 26, 2020, 05:10:13 PM »
My son emailed Arjen to ask if he had ever considered covering Babylon 5 in a Star One song.  The response was that he is working on a new S1 album, and that he has considered B5 as subject matter, as well.

Awesome!