Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 383456 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Transitus Announced)
« Reply #2870 on: October 06, 2020, 06:30:13 AM »
Electric Castle is great, I guess I forgot that came before The Dream Sequencer

Whew, I was worried you disliked Ayreon's breakthrough album for some reason or another! :lol

So really, it's just the first two albums you simply find "decent"? If that's the case, then the run of Electric Castle-The Source must be pretty good for you then?

-Marc.
Ah, then it seems I'm still the only Ayreon fan who only finds Electric Castle decent. :lol

I think Electric Castle has some great songs (Isis & Osiris, Amazing Flight, Garden) but it also has its lengths. But maybe I'll have to get into it a little more.
any rock can be made to roll

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2871 on: October 06, 2020, 08:43:26 AM »
I only got into Valley of The Queen's due to the amazing Trio version of it done by Floor, Marcela, and Anneke.

I couldn't get into it on the album.

Although, the live Blu-ray gave me a new appreciation for it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online goo-goo

« Reply #2872 on: October 06, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »
I'm actually enjoying Star One a whole lot more than the last few Ayreon albums (probably from 0101011 onward). And Transitus hasn't really grabbed me like I hoped. But Star One on the other hand: great hooks, nice blend of heavyness, epic moments...

Offline 425

« Reply #2873 on: October 06, 2020, 10:17:14 AM »

Whew, I was worried you disliked Ayreon's breakthrough album for some reason or another! :lol

So really, it's just the first two albums you simply find "decent"? If that's the case, then the run of Electric Castle-The Source must be pretty good for you then?

-Marc.
Ah, then it seems I'm still the only Ayreon fan who only finds Electric Castle decent. :lol

I only really find it decent. Maybe I need to give it more chances, but to me it drags a lot on the second disc.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I don't think Evermind is a particularly huge fan of the album, either.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2874 on: October 06, 2020, 10:19:16 AM »
*screaming loudly on the lawn*

BEYOND THESE STYGIAN SKIES
OUR FORTRESS LIES
ACROSS THE RAINBOW BRIDGE
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2875 on: October 06, 2020, 10:33:33 AM »

-Marc.

I only really find it decent. Maybe I need to give it more chances, but to me it drags a lot on the second disc.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I don't think Evermind is a particularly huge fan of the album, either.

No, you're correct! I'm also in that exact same camp. I loved the live performance though.

Regarding Star One / The Gentle Storm, I'd love to see another Gentle Storm. It's my favourite Arjen's side project.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2876 on: October 06, 2020, 11:01:52 AM »
ITEC is the second best Ayreon album for my tastes. Rainbow Bridge is a top 20 all time song... again, my tastes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2877 on: October 06, 2020, 11:18:11 AM »
So for the last two weeks, I've been spinning almost all of the Ayreon releases, and I think I've gotten to the point with Transitus where I think I can rank the albums now. For me, I always group both parts of the Universal Migrator together, despite being released as two separate albums, they're essential two halves of the one whole concept album, so I always consider them one album anyway. Here's my ranking, in relative order:

The Human Equation
Into The Electric Castle
The Theory Of Everything
Universal Migrator (Parts I & II)
Transitus
The Source
The Final Experiment
Actual Fantasy (Revisited)

I originally had UM and Transitus swapped, but I feel like the latter is still too new for me to place it above UM, which has some amazingly classic Ayreon on it. I feel like THE and ITEC will always be a Top 2 for me, and I've always loved TTOE since its release. I've been pretty vocal about my original "meh" feelings on 01 and The Source over the years in this thread, but I've slowly come around on them. I've begun the habit of listening to The Source, then going right into 01 since the former is a prequel to the latter, and it's a pretty epic movie-length musical journey. And of course, I think like most Ayreon fans, the first two albums sit at the bottom, but that's not to say they aren't good in their own right.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2878 on: October 06, 2020, 11:50:20 AM »
ITEC has some of Ayreon's best songs but also some mediocre ones. And the narration is nice the first couple of times but then it starts to hinder the flow of the record. I would rank it probably somewhere in the middle.

The narration on Transitus is better imo, but it will probably go on my nerves when I listen to it more.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2879 on: October 06, 2020, 12:03:28 PM »

My Album Rankings

Universal Migrator 1 and 2
Into The Electric Castle
Theory of Everything
The Source
The Human Equation
The Final Experiment
Actual Fantasy (Revisited)
Transitus
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 12:59:32 PM by kirksnosehair »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2880 on: October 06, 2020, 12:05:10 PM »
Bought the album, and listened to the first 8 or whatever tracks.

Meh. Nothing bad. Just feels uninspired to me personally. I'm sure I'll check out the rest of the album, but I didn't feel super motivated to. And breaking it all up in super short tracks also annoys me. So even if I give this a full listen through, I doubt I'll give it many more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2881 on: October 06, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
#1. The Human Equation
#2. 01011001
#3. Into The Electric Castle
#4. Universal Migrator Pt. 2
#5. Universal Migrator Pt. 1
#6. The Source
#7. The Final Experiment
#8. Transitus
#9. Actual Fantasy
10. The Theory Of Everything
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2882 on: October 06, 2020, 04:08:44 PM »
Oh, it's that time again.

The Human Equation
Into the Electric Castle
The Final Experiment
The Theory of Everything
The Source
Actual Fantasy
Universal Migrator
Transitus

Despite me currently ranking Transitus in last, it should be noted that I really still like it overall, and the fact that I can enjoy my least favorite Ayreon album so much is why Arjen remains one of my absolute favorite songwriters.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:25:55 AM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline majo

« Reply #2883 on: October 07, 2020, 02:32:08 AM »
It's kinda growing on me with each listen but I'd still like the narrations as separate tracks so I could skip them and see how it would work out... 
3.5/5 for me currently
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2884 on: October 07, 2020, 03:07:41 AM »
1. The Human Equation
2. The Theory Of Everything
3. Flight Of The Migrator
4. Into The Electric Castle
5. The Source
6. 01011001
7. The Final Experiment
8. The Dream Sequencer
9. Actual Fantasy

I haven't listened to Transitus enough to rank it properly, but as of now it would go somewhere in the middle.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2885 on: October 07, 2020, 07:56:08 AM »
1. 01011001 (excellent)

2. Into the Electric Castle (very good)
3. The Human Equation (very good)

4. Transitus (like)
5. The Source (dislike)
6. The Theory of Everything (dislike)

7. Final Experiment / Actual Fantasy / Universal Migrators (just don't care about these at all)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2886 on: October 07, 2020, 10:15:21 AM »
01011001/The Human Equation

Into The Electric Castle
The Source
Transitus
The Theory of Everything

Universal Migrators (Both discs are half and half for me)

Final Experiment/Actual Fantasy (Never heard these at all, only heard the songs on Ayreon Universe)

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline 425

« Reply #2887 on: October 07, 2020, 12:59:36 PM »
I have not gotten to Transitus yet, though I did decide to order it after checking out the singles and actually enjoying them more than most people here seemed to. I also have only heard The Final Experiment and Actual Fantasy once each. So ranking the ITEC-TS run:

1. 01011001
2. The Source
3. The Human Equation
4. Flight of the Migrator
5. The Dream Sequencer
6. The Theory of Everything
7. Into the Electric Castle

Interesting that I seem to be the only one who places The Source this high. My feeling is that it's quite consistently good, with a number of really memorable songs, and that it's mostly free from the worst aspects of the other Ayreon albums—particularly rough lyrical sections.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2888 on: October 07, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »
I like The Source a lit, it's just that I like some other records more. Imo there aren't any bad Ayreon records, even the last placed Actual Fantasy is quite enjoyable.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #2889 on: October 07, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »
1. Universal Migrator Pt. 1
2. The Human Equation
3. The Theory Of Everything
4. 01011001

5. The Source
6. Transitus
7. The Final Experiment

8. Into The Electric Castle
9. Actual Fantasy
10. Universal Migrator Pt. 2

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2890 on: October 07, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »
Interesting that I seem to be the only one who places The Source this high. My feeling is that it's quite consistently good, with a number of really memorable songs, and that it's mostly free from the worst aspects of the other Ayreon albums—particularly rough lyrical sections.

The lyrics aren't bad, and it has easily the best closing track of any Ayreon album other than The Sixth Extinction, but what drags that album down so much for me is the mashup of vocalists, none of whom really work well with the others. It's a mish-mash of very distinct and unique voices but it's too jarring for me to hear them bouncing back and forth between voices with so much character - a shame because I really like Run! Apocalypse! Run! and Tobi's singing on it, but not at all when he appears along other singers.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2891 on: October 10, 2020, 11:59:40 AM »
I'm not surprised to see The Human Equation rank so highly for most people here, but I am surprised by 01011001 being so highly ranked. I dunno, maybe it's just me? It was the first new Ayreon album to come out after I became a fan (in late 2005), so I guess after falling madly in love with THE, I had high expectations for 01, given the near 2 year wait I had for it after becoming a fan. I think I was just overwhelmed by the huge cast of the album, and the story being a bit less easy to follow (IMO). It does tie all of the other Ayreon Universe albums together fairly neatly, but it just took me a long time to really get into it. Even after The Source came out, I've gone back to 01 and tried getting into it more, but I've made slow progress. It's not a BAD album, per se, but I guess I just haven't given its due, but I recognize that it's solely on me, given how popular it is here and with fans in general, and how it was a big success for Arjen (peak no. 2 on the Dutch album chart, and 19 on the German Albums chart).

I also keep finding myself coming back to Transitus, and still enjoying it a couple weeks later. It's just hard to put down! The musical motifs scattered throughout the album really help sell the musical-ness of the work, along with the dramatic narration. It's so very Broadway-ish and fun to follow along. The songs and music get stuck in my head, too, while at work. I find myself humming the various melodies and tapping out the repeated rhythms. In a few years, it might creep up my Ayreon album rankings!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 425

« Reply #2892 on: October 10, 2020, 09:37:28 PM »
Well, firstly, I don't care a great deal about being able to follow the story on Ayreon albums, since, as I said a few pages back, I don't have a particularly high opinion of Arjen's storytelling ability. The vaguer story on 01 may actually lead to fewer dubious lyrical moments, since those come out on that album when Arjen does try to be more explicit (as in Connect the Dots and Web of Lies).

For probably a similar reason, I also don't mind the large cast and don't find it all disorienting. I just like that pretty much all the singers are good and the performances are strong.

And then my sense is just that it's the strongest album musically. It helps that it's heavier, since I prefer Arjen's heavy side, and I think it has a lot of good melodies.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: October 10, 2020, 10:16:59 PM »
I got in to Ayreon via Timeline, the 3 disc set released after 01, so was exposed to various songs from all albums up through 01. So without the benefit of listening to each full album, or having any understanding of the overall story, while I essentially liked everything, the songs from 01 were among my favorites.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2894 on: October 11, 2020, 06:06:03 AM »
I got in to Ayreon via Timeline, the 3 disc set released after 01, so was exposed to various songs from all albums up through 01. So without the benefit of listening to each full album, or having any understanding of the overall story, while I essentially liked everything, the songs from 01 were among my favorites.

I can totally see that. The highs of 01 are very high, while the lows are pretty low. It’s a very inconsistent album afaic.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2895 on: October 11, 2020, 03:48:35 PM »
Spending the afternoon watching The Theater Equation and MAN, what a show this is. Before starting the concert proper, I watched the behind-the-scenes feature and you can definitely feel the excitement and energy from the cast and band on this one.

My question for folks who have seen (or even been to) both The Theater Equation and Electric Castle Live - which do you prefer more? Which live performance best brought its studio counterpart to life?

-Marc.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 04:40:55 PM by The Letter M »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2896 on: October 11, 2020, 03:54:04 PM »

I can totally see that. The highs of 01 are very high, while the lows are pretty low. It’s a very inconsistent album afaic.

The only low I can say is on that album is Web of Lies. Everything else kicks ass.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2897 on: October 11, 2020, 05:36:48 PM »
I think both Web of Lies and Connect the Dots are lovely songs. I get the lyrics/subject matters are cringy/mundane to people, but the music is good in my opinion and the lyrics kind of fit and most certainly represent a side of human nature.

Offline 425

« Reply #2898 on: October 11, 2020, 08:29:58 PM »
I think Web of Lies is lyrically poor and musically uninteresting. I think Connect the Dots is lyrically poor, but pretty good musically—so a mixed bag overall. The other "ordinary life" song on 01, The Truth is in Here, is just awesome.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2899 on: October 11, 2020, 08:45:58 PM »
Web of Lies and Connect the Dots are the worst songs on the album, which is analogous to being the ugliest Victoria's Secret model.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2900 on: October 11, 2020, 10:32:07 PM »
Spending the afternoon watching The Theater Equation and MAN, what a show this is. Before starting the concert proper, I watched the behind-the-scenes feature and you can definitely feel the excitement and energy from the cast and band on this one.

My question for folks who have seen (or even been to) both The Theater Equation and Electric Castle Live - which do you prefer more? Which live performance best brought its studio counterpart to life?

-Marc.

I was at both concerts and I think The Theater Equation did a better job bringing the album to life. Stuff Iike the stage full of people at the party during Day 11: Love which then do the last chorus together with Pride and Passion was incredible. But I may be biased because 1) I think The Human Equation is a much better album overall and 2) it was my first concert abroad. But I walked out of the theater and was absolutely blown away.

Offline Shredzorz

« Reply #2901 on: October 11, 2020, 10:49:36 PM »
I like Connect the Dots but hate Web of Lies.

I do have some tiny modicum of appreciation for the lyrics in Web of Lies, I think they're kind of cute, but I just can't stand to actually listen to the song. It might be my least favorite Ayreon song.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2902 on: October 12, 2020, 10:55:35 AM »

-Marc.

I was at both concerts and I think The Theater Equation did a better job bringing the album to life. Stuff Iike the stage full of people at the party during Day 11: Love which then do the last chorus together with Pride and Passion was incredible. But I may be biased because 1) I think The Human Equation is a much better album overall and 2) it was my first concert abroad. But I walked out of the theater and was absolutely blown away.

When I watch The Theater Equation, that is how the album is and should of been done live. To me, the acting is just as essential as the music. It helps sell the emotions Me, Wife, and Best Friend are feeling, along with the actual Emotion-Personified characters. Mike Mills, stole the show in terms of the acting of the show.  :lol I was so excited to finally get an almost full production of the album, in terms of story.

The Electric Castle, Is kind of a task to really tell the story in the same Theatrical way as The Human Equation. I do like how he did it though, having the Spinal-Tap Castle along with the sliding Castle Door, and the Narrator up in the corner on the right tower, that gave it a more Sci-Fi vibe, which is perfect for the story. The singers all taking it upon themselves to be as in character as they each felt to be, some really getting into it, Damian Wilson renting a Knight Suit, and Edward Reekers with his mythic robe and staff (really added a different perspective to the Future Man). Although, I would've preferred a bit more acting from the singers, they all did well to portray the story vocally, and emotionally. I also love the added section in Another Time, Another Space for Fish, he just sells that section as the The Highlander, I can't listen to the studio any more due to that  :biggrin:

I think all the albums should be done the same way The Theater Equation was done. It's the perfect blend of a Rock Opera, Broadway Show, and Live Concert. That is the perfect way to tell the story with an act and cast, along with keeping the album style in tact.  Of course, it could be improved upon, but the foundation is how, I feel, all concept albums should be presented.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 11:10:33 AM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2903 on: October 12, 2020, 11:58:01 AM »

-Marc.

Wow, you went to both?! Lucky you, but they were experiences of a lifetime.

I watched both The Theater Equation and Electric Castle Live yesterday/last night, and I'm conflicted on which I liked more. TTE has a magnificent stage set-up and the vocalists really took to their roles (thanks to the big help of the understudies), and acted their roles as well as sang them - it was a true rock OPERA in that sense.

Electric Castle Live was more ROCK opera, if that makes sense. Arjen didn't even think the vocalists needed any costumes of any sorts, but some of them went the full mile and really took to their roles with costumes and props, like the Knight and Futureman. It helped sell their characters a bit more, but like Ben said, they didn't really act their parts as much, but given the type of show it was, I don't think they needed to. Of course, the Star Trek bias in me praises the performance of John de Lancie as Forever, which was a highlight of the show, and I agree with Ben that the extra verse by Fish in "Another Time, Another Space" really gave that song an extra bit of OOMPH it needed, as well as the extended chorus outro - it almost makes the studio version unlistenable given how epic the live version is!

I think Arjen would likely do another live show that is somewhere in between these two kinds of shows, depending on which album he wants to perform next. If he does something like 01011001 or The Source, I'm sure it'd be more like ECL, given that the sets would have to be huge and extravagant for those sci-fi themes, and probably impossible to pull off financially. If he does a smaller-scaled story like The Theory Of Everything or Transitus, the stage set-up could be a bit more like Theater Equation, with different levels and mini-sets around the stage for the vocalists to really have space to act out their parts. I could imagine the Blackboard being a centerpiece for TTOE, much like the hospital bed was for Theater Equation. I would also love seeing Michael Mills being rolled out on a pedestal, all done up to look like a statue, only to leap off said pedestal to sing "Dumb Piece Of Rock".

In the interview on ECL, Arjen and Joost said they have ideas for the next big live show, should they be able to do one, but this was before Transitus was really full developed, so I think they were probably thinking of TTOE for the next live show, but given that John Wetton has passed away since then, and that he was a bit part of the cast, I wonder if he wouldn't do it - like, who do you even get to replace John Wetton for that role?!

Also, since Arjen originally wanted Transitus to be a movie, and that his vocal cast have already acted out, and been costumed, for the music videos, I think there is a strong chance that Transitus Live might be his next live concert. It'd be a bit short given that the album is only about 81 minutes, so he'd have to do something else to push the concert to at least 2-2.5 hours. Maybe another selection of songs from his side-projects?

-Marc.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2904 on: October 12, 2020, 12:21:26 PM »

-Marc.

Wow, you went to both?! Lucky you, but they were experiences of a lifetime.

I also went to the Ayreon Universe show in 2017. :P

I'd love to see The Theory of Everything live one day.