Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 383549 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Theory of Everything - Oct. 28/29)
« Reply #910 on: August 10, 2014, 04:10:53 AM »
On the contrary, I like The Human Equation, The Dream Sequencer and The Theory of Everything more than Into The Electric Castle. But all four albums are amazing, so that's not a big deal.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #911 on: August 10, 2014, 04:32:05 AM »
For me, THE is the best (my #2 album of all time), and ITEC is right after it.  Two brilliant albums.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #912 on: August 10, 2014, 06:56:38 AM »
TTOE became my new favorite, overthrowing THE.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: September 02, 2014, 06:31:17 AM »
So, according to Arjen facebook page, the new project with Anneke is called The Gentle Storm. The double concept album is scheduled to release in early 2015.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #914 on: September 02, 2014, 07:04:27 AM »
Sounds like it could be quite mellow and ambient, should be refreshing!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #915 on: September 02, 2014, 02:48:03 PM »
And one of the promo pics is gorgeous: https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10263984_1506738069564527_3907002074604219045_o.jpg

2015 is so far away, I want this now.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #916 on: September 02, 2014, 05:43:55 PM »
I miss blonde Anneke  :heart

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: September 04, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »
I've been thinking about The Theater Equation lately, and I came up with a question I thought I'll ask here. It's known there will be three shows (on Friday, Saturday and Sunday). Now, imagine you're going there and can book tickets only for one show, which one will you pick? The first one because you would want to see this thing as soon as possible; or maybe the second one because there might be less f*ck-ups; or maybe the third one for whatever reasons? Let's say your schedule doesn't matter, so you can visit any of the three.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #918 on: September 04, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
I've been thinking about The Theater Equation lately, and I came up with a question I thought I'll ask here. It's known there will be three shows (on Friday, Saturday and Sunday). Now, imagine you're going there and can book tickets only for one show, which one will you pick? The first one because you would want to see this thing as soon as possible; or maybe the second one because there might be less f*ck-ups; or maybe the third one for whatever reasons? Let's say your schedule doesn't matter, so you can visit any of the three.

Good question! As someone who has had experience in theatre performances, I can say that the first show is always going to have SOME technical issue SOMEWHERE. It's very rare that an opening night will be flawless, be it with the technology or the performance itself. Not saying these guys involved aren't 100% professional - they can be the best in what they do - but there might still be mistakes here and there. Seeing the first show, though, as you say, would be fantastic just so you can say "I was there the first night!", and with only THREE performances, it's truly a treat.

Going to the second would mean they would iron out anything they didn't fix or had issues with the first night, so you might get a more polished show. If you care more about seeing a more flawless performance, this show might be the one to go to. They'll have the 1st night under their belts, and they'll be pumped up for the second show.

As for the Sunday show, they might be able to iron out everything, but they've also had to do it twice in the last two nights, so if they aren't exhausted or well-rested enough, the show could feel a bit sluggish. If they managed to keep it up, it might be a better show than Saturday night! There's also the chance that they may do something special, being that it'll be the last show, and I doubt something like this will ever happen again (at least, in a long time), so they  might treat the audience to an "especially special" performance.

Really, if you're able to go to ANY of the three shows, you can't lose! It's all win-win-win to me, and I'd be lucky to go for even one night. I hope that all three nights are filmed/recorded and the best of the three will get released some how! If they don't sell out and make a huge profit on the 3 shows, I'm sure a BR/DVD/CD release of the performance(s) will help!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: September 04, 2014, 03:32:45 PM »
Well, yeah. I was thinking about this for a month or maybe more, and finally I applied for a foreign passport today, so if I'm able to buy the tickets (since apparently there is an incredibly high demand for them), I'm going there. This is just too great to miss it, no matter the cost. I'm inclined to go to the first concert, because yes, seeing this first performance would be incredible. I can always watch the flawless version on the DVD, in there will be any.

I guess the time when all will be decided (I couldn't resist) is when the tickets will go on sale.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #920 on: September 08, 2014, 12:52:22 AM »
The Gentle Storm is a new band formed by Arjen Lucassen and Anneke van Giersbergen. Their double concept album will be released early 2015.
The Gentle Storm double album is an epic production of Ayreon proportions, divided into two parts as a full-on metal assault (CD1) and lighter folk arrangements (CD2). It also heralds Anneke's return to the realms of heavy guitars and soaring vocals reminiscent of The Gathering's breakthrough album, Mandylion.
Due out in early 2015,the album release will be followed by live dates through the spring and summer European festival season. Known for touring extensively year after year, Anneke will take The Gentle Storm on the road backed by well known Dutch talents. Arjen, however, will not be part of the live production.
:metal :sadpanda:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #921 on: September 08, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »
Not really a surprise that he will not be joining. I wish more artists would perform Arjens songs live (I am sure they can make a deal with Arjen or something). Have Symphony X rocking Dawn Of A Million Souls in their setlist for example (two members have a prominent role in that song anyways).

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #922 on: September 08, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
Symphony X shows do not come along that often and if I went to see them and would have traveled a long way, I really wouldn't want them playing cover songs.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: September 26, 2014, 02:53:05 AM »
The dates and venue have been announced: Nieuwe Luxor Theater in Rotterdam, September 18th, 19th and 20th, 2015. Tickets will go on sale on the 25th of October, 2014 at 19.00 CET.

Any thoughts from our Dutch DTFers about the venue?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #924 on: October 02, 2014, 06:05:28 AM »
Some beautiful words from Damian and Anneke about Arjen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz7_E0Eyj3Y#t=145

Arjen deserved that price, I think he was actually really moved be the award and the praise he got. Funny through all these years i've never seen him as a shy person even though he says so himself but you can tell he much rather not be on that stage.  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: October 02, 2014, 10:27:24 AM »
They've got Eric Clayton too. Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2fhZHYn-Y

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #926 on: October 09, 2014, 04:35:11 AM »
^^That's awesome, completly missed that!

I just learned that ticket sales for The Human Equation Theater Experience start on October 25, 2014 at 19.00 CET! The word is that they will sell out very quickly. Eric Clayton joins James LaBrie, Heather Findlay, Marcela Bovio, Devon Graves, Irene Jansen, Magnus Ekwall and Wudstik who replaces me as Best Friend.

https://www.luxortheater.nl/94-1458-The-Theater-Equation

I want to buy a ticket so bad!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: October 09, 2014, 04:44:25 AM »
I'm envious of those who managed to get the code for booking tickets on 18th of October. Luckily, I'll be at home at 19.00 CET on 25th and I don't think all tickets will be sold out in the first few minutes, so it seems I have a decent chance to buy them.

I just really hope the theater site won't crash on that time, because that's what usually happens in these moments.  :lol

Offline Xenon

« Reply #928 on: October 09, 2014, 08:04:32 AM »
I just hope they don't do a theatrical thing with the show. Just them playing and singing their hearts out.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #929 on: October 09, 2014, 09:34:37 AM »
I just hope they don't do a theatrical thing with the show. Just them playing and singing their hearts out.
What exactly do you mean? Because it's called The Human Equation "Theater Experience". It's not just the concert experience or anything like that. I'm pretty sure there's acting while they sing or even dialogues not just them standing there singing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: October 09, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
What exactly do you mean? Because it's called The Human Equation "Theater Experience". It's not just the concert experience or anything like that. I'm pretty sure there's acting while they sing or even dialogues not just them standing there singing.

Could be something like the 25th Anniversary show for Les Mis.  They didn't do the whole stage performance, but got dressed in costume and character, and simply stuck to the soundtrack - not changing sets for the scenery or acting or anything.  That's what I was envisioning this as.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Xenon

« Reply #931 on: October 09, 2014, 11:16:27 AM »
That's exactly what I mean. They are musicians, not actors.
I'm okay with proyections telling out the story (like Live scenes but well done), but I'm not sure about people acting on stage. For example, the thing going on in The retinal circus  ruins the whole dvd IMO. It is poorly acted and super cheesy.
If they gonna do that at least will be good, to hire something that can do a decent job.
The same happens with Pain of Salvation's BE live.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: October 10, 2014, 08:22:09 AM »
From FB this morning:

“The Gentle Storm” concept album will be a double CD, with the same songs on each CD but in VERY different, contrasting arrangements. CD1, the “Gentle”album, will be all acoustic and folky with lots of exotic instruments. CD2, the “Storm”album, will be an all-out, bombastic orchestral metal album. Of course there are plenty of progressive elements mixed in as well. Questions? Ask away!

I'm likin the sounds of this.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: October 10, 2014, 08:31:41 AM »
Whoa, I'm excited and curious how this will turn out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #934 on: October 10, 2014, 09:01:23 AM »
From FB this morning:

“The Gentle Storm” concept album will be a double CD, with the same songs on each CD but in VERY different, contrasting arrangements. CD1, the “Gentle”album, will be all acoustic and folky with lots of exotic instruments. CD2, the “Storm”album, will be an all-out, bombastic orchestral metal album. Of course there are plenty of progressive elements mixed in as well. Questions? Ask away!

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #935 on: October 10, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
When this comes out, some mad chemist should synthesize it into a drug so I can inject myself with Anneke and Arjen's awesomeness.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #936 on: October 10, 2014, 11:25:59 AM »

Oh damn. I've been listening to Eric's band (Saviour Machine) a lot recently, and I really recommend that stuff. He just sounds different from THE. I don't know if better, but it is quite a different thing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: October 10, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »

Oh damn. I've been listening to Eric's band (Saviour Machine) a lot recently, and I really recommend that stuff. He just sounds different from THE. I don't know if better, but it is quite a different thing.

He sounds the same to me... the difference is there's no break in his voice, no contrast.  I tried the first two Saviour Machine albums, and liked them, but I'm not sure that a whole album with his voice is really my cup of tea.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #938 on: October 11, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »

From FB this morning:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #939 on: October 14, 2014, 09:34:27 AM »

He sounds the same to me... the difference is there's no break in his voice, no contrast.  I tried the first two Saviour Machine albums, and liked them, but I'm not sure that a whole album with his voice is really my cup of tea.
Yeah, it's kind of tiring after a while, and their albums are really long :lol . But hey, if you liked them try Legend Part I, it has a more epic (ala movie soundtrack) atmosphere and more instrumental sections. It made my top 50 ;) .

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: October 15, 2014, 10:16:13 AM »
From The Theater Equation facebook page:

Unfortunately, neither Mikael Akerfeldt nor Devin Townsend will be able to join our production due to their schedules. Their replacements will be announced soon!

Ouch, I was hoping for Mikael to be there. Devin's role is really minor, so I didn't expect him to appear, but it's a pity Mikael won't be there.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #941 on: October 16, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »
Damn, well I guess Opeth has plans for next year
 Unless, Mikael said that cause he doesn't want to do it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #942 on: October 16, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »
My guess is schedule conflict or not, Mikael or Devin wouldn't have been interested.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Xenon

« Reply #943 on: October 16, 2014, 09:38:06 PM »
My guess is schedule conflict or not, Mikael or Devin wouldn't have been interested.
This.
When all this started I thought neither Mikael or Devin would be in this. But after Opeth's new album came out, having some very ayreon sounding moments, I regained hope about Mikael being in the theater equation. Anyway I think Mikael is replaceable, especially for the growls, since he doesn't sing them like before anymore.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #944 on: October 25, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
Yeeeesssss! I got three tickets at the second row (balcony) for the Sunday afternoon show as a gift for my birthday  :biggrin: Looking forward to next year!