Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 383473 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Theory of Everything - Oct. 28/29)
« Reply #875 on: May 25, 2014, 11:12:34 AM »
I always thought James LaBrie might be too big for something like this, I was a little surprised they got him for Ayreon, but come to think of it, he's always said he'd be interested in doing Broadway, hasn't he? In retrospect, yeah, of course he went for it! It's theatrical, very different to his usual gigs, but a completely logical progression. And he gets to take the lead role.
I thought he was simply too busy to do this, not too big - he's done small club shows for his solo project and said he was looking forward to doing more of them before the Static Impulse tour fell through. I think he'll do fabulously.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #876 on: May 25, 2014, 12:02:48 PM »
He needs to do another live on Earth. I want some more of that cheesy goodness.

Not very likely. Arjen has professed time and again how much he hates touring/performing live. It's just not his thing. Also, it needs to be stressed that although it's his music that's being performed, Arjen himself is not putting this production together. He has said on FB that he'll be in the audience with a whole box of Kleenex.....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #877 on: May 25, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »

Not very likely. Arjen has professed time and again how much he hates touring/performing live. It's just not his thing. Also, it needs to be stressed that although it's his music that's being performed, Arjen himself is not putting this production together. He has said on FB that he'll be in the audience with a whole box of Kleenex.....

That explains him not playing the role of The Best Friend.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #878 on: May 25, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »

The guy who does the Best Friend part however is a Dutch hiphop star, who is loudly stating his love for DT and other prog in the media. I knew him as a hiphop singer, but this makes him a hundred times as awesome.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: May 25, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
Well, he played some human guy in 01011001, so that's probably the main reason he's got involved in this project.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #880 on: May 25, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »

The guy who does the Best Friend part however is a Dutch hiphop star, who is loudly stating his love for DT and other prog in the media. I knew him as a hiphop singer, but this makes him a hundred times as awesome.

He sang on 01....and sang the beginning of Day 2 on the making of dvd. Arjen cracked up. I look foward to his performance.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #881 on: May 26, 2014, 03:59:01 AM »

He even did a cover of A Nightmare to Remember if I recall correctly.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Cordez

« Reply #882 on: May 26, 2014, 08:33:03 AM »
He even did a cover of A Nightmare to Remember if I recall correctly.

Indeed! https://soundcloud.com/wudstik-1/wudstik-covers-dts-nightmare

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: May 26, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »
Cool!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #884 on: May 26, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
That cover was pretty cool! I hope I can get some tickets for The Theater Experience :)

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #885 on: May 27, 2014, 01:05:53 AM »
I'm usually not very interested in travelling pretty much anywhere but I caught myself seriously considering a trip to .nl next year.
Well, let's see how this will unfold.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #886 on: May 27, 2014, 03:08:49 AM »
Wudstik is very good, he is a perfect fit for an Ayreon live show.

He also stated that he likes the idea of Theory of Everyting live, so you never know (somewhere in a yt reply).

Offline robwebster

« Reply #887 on: May 27, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
I always thought James LaBrie might be too big for something like this, I was a little surprised they got him for Ayreon, but come to think of it, he's always said he'd be interested in doing Broadway, hasn't he? In retrospect, yeah, of course he went for it! It's theatrical, very different to his usual gigs, but a completely logical progression. And he gets to take the lead role.
I thought he was simply too busy to do this, not too big - he's done small club shows for his solo project and said he was looking forward to doing more of them before the Static Impulse tour fell through. I think he'll do fabulously.
Well - there's different kinds of "bigness." He's not Metallica, but Dream Theater have built up a bit of a brand, I did wonder if he might have been slightly outside the budget of a little indie theatre project in the Netherlands! Not necessarily, though, he had a blast with THE, and he's interested in doing musical theatre, so it's something he might do for the love of it. Schedule is the main thing, though, absolutely, and I suppose that's part of the reason they're planning so far in advance - block it out now and it's more likely to be free.

Either way, I think it's a very savvy choice. The way to make your costs back on this is absolutely to make it unmissable. It's the difference between a tribute act and a supergroup. Until lately, I thought, "Hey, that's neat," but the second they announced JLB, I decided I'm coming in from the UK... I think this might well work for them!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: May 28, 2014, 08:11:26 AM »
I'm usually not very interested in travelling pretty much anywhere but I caught myself seriously considering a trip to .nl next year.
Well, let's see how this will unfold.

Greetings...
Nef

It's still unsure where it'll be, but if it's gonne be somewhere around where I live, you're more than welcome to come hang and listen to good music!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #889 on: May 28, 2014, 04:24:59 PM »
Flyer of the upcoming Theater series of Shows:

That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #890 on: May 30, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »
Well, just sent in my audition for the 'Epic Rock Choir'. Fingers crossed!!  :corn
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #891 on: May 30, 2014, 07:24:54 AM »
That's pretty cool man. I will hold my thumbs firmly.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #892 on: May 30, 2014, 08:08:02 AM »
No Nicky Spaanjaards?  Not interested.   :rollin

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #893 on: May 30, 2014, 11:13:41 AM »
No Nicky Spaanjaards?  Not interested.   :rollin
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Also,my dutch friend is going and I want to kill him.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #894 on: June 24, 2014, 07:44:54 AM »
Well, didn´t make the cut, but here´s a video of the auditions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ydPQIF6D0&hd=1

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #895 on: June 24, 2014, 09:57:28 AM »
Too bad you didn't make it, but damn, awesome video. I hope there are still tickets for this.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #896 on: June 25, 2014, 03:38:24 AM »
Well, didn´t make the cut, but here´s a video of the auditions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ydPQIF6D0&hd=1

That's a shame :( Cool video though.

Btw, am I imagining it or is the chap at the end doing grunts? Kinda looks and sounds like it  :biggrin:

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #897 on: June 25, 2014, 04:57:16 AM »
Yes, there was grunting in that song.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #898 on: July 15, 2014, 02:26:05 AM »
I figured this deserves a spot here

Also, Arjens favorite Lacuna Coil song is my favorite as well.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #899 on: July 15, 2014, 03:13:35 AM »
Had a tiny chat with Arjen on Facebook recommending some Iced Earth, but more specifically pimping Barlow, Ripper and Stu.  :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #900 on: July 15, 2014, 03:58:45 AM »
I actually expected to see some of them in Ayreons already, imagine how cool it would be if he got all three for the next one :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #901 on: July 27, 2014, 06:58:45 AM »
Spun Victims Of The Modern Age today. Man I really love that album. There's so many awesome vocal moments. Arjen knows how to push the right buttons, he's shown that before and this is no exception.
The intro to Digital Rain including Down The Rabbit Hole is just totally rad! That Organ and drum fill!  :metal and the guitar sound just slays! To bad I don't really enjoy the rest of the song that much.

Top 3
#1 It All Ends Here
Best track on the album, there's just so many powerful vocal moments.

Highlights: Russell 6:32-7:35

#2 As The Crow Dies
Takes the number two spot because of the vocals and for just being a really good song.

#3 Closer To The Stars
Tony fuckin Martin! What a voice, had no idea to be honest.

Highlights: 3:40

(#4) Human See, Human Do
Just a fun track, love it!

Highlights: 3:38 Joost and Garys solos

This was really hard actually, there's so many great tracks with great moments on this album. It's a real grower.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #902 on: July 27, 2014, 07:25:55 AM »
Probably my 2nd fav Arjen album.  Though, I can't stand It All Ends Here - I probably skip it 80% of the time.  Cassandra Complex and Human See, Human Do are where it's at for me.  Damian's performance in 24 hours is freakin amazing too.  That three track run is as good as any in my library.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #903 on: July 27, 2014, 08:44:51 AM »
Human See, Human Do is amazing, especially Joost's work. Even more so towards the final part, at 4:37. That shit is so fucking brutal.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #904 on: July 27, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »
The Theory of Everything is amazingly awesome. I have it split by phases, with my favorite being Phase 3. The story flows like a movie with no real choruses.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #905 on: July 27, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »
Probably my 2nd fav Arjen album.  Though, I can't stand It All Ends Here - I probably skip it 80% of the time.  Cassandra Complex and Human See, Human Do are where it's at for me.  Damian's performance in 24 hours is freakin amazing too.  That three track run is as good as any in my library.
Interesting, any particular reason why? I guess the slow tempo could be a factor of it being a bit tough to bear but for me that just makes it heavy and powerful. Love the heavy riff at 4:50.

Human See, Human Do is amazing, especially Joost's work. Even more so towards the final part, at 4:37. That shit is so fucking brutal.
Yea the ending is awesome with the guitar riff being more and more heavy from 4:39 and Dans growls being added.

The Theory of Everything is amazingly awesome. I have it split by phases, with my favorite being Phase 3. The story flows like a movie with no real choruses.
I agree, he really nails the flow in phase III, love track 1 and 2. Have to highlight The Breakthrough from phase IV though, I just love the vocal work with the high screams followed by The Note, man Tommys voice is pure ear candy.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #906 on: July 27, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
Yeah, the pace, the tones of the guitar, and I just don't enjoy the vocal melodies. Dem's tastes for ya!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #907 on: August 09, 2014, 07:57:28 PM »
I have recently decided that Into The Electric Castle is my favorite Ayreon record.

And Tunnel Of Light is making strong competition for one of my favorite Ayreon songs. :metal

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #908 on: August 09, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »
I have recently decided that Into The Electric Castle is my favorite Ayreon record.
I can get behind this.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #909 on: August 10, 2014, 02:30:35 AM »
This is the correct choice.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"