Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 383477 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Theory of Everything - Oct. 28/29)
« Reply #770 on: November 26, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »
I put each phase as one song....they go by fast.

Same here.   I understand why the songs were divided into such small chunks, but I'm not a fan of that approach. 

In any case, I've decided that this is my favorite Ayreon release to date.

However, I've decided to give The Human Equation another shot.  With so many people whose musical opinions I respect and generally agree with saying they love it, I'd say it's worthy of a few more spins to see if something clicks. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: November 26, 2013, 10:19:21 AM »
Well, this release is the closest one to THE in all aspects IMO. But, well, I can't say it surpassed THE for me, it still needs to pass the test of time.
Being not a big fan of DT12 I totally agree this one tops it easily though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #772 on: November 26, 2013, 11:29:59 AM »

Same here.   I understand why the songs were divided into such small chunks, but I'm not a fan of that approach. 

However, I've decided to give The Human Equation another shot.  With so many people whose musical opinions I respect and generally agree with saying they love it, I'd say it's worthy of a few more spins to see if something clicks.

I like to put my ipod on shuffle, and it wouldn't make sense because most of the tracks are 1min. Long
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: November 26, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »

I like to put my ipod on shuffle, and it wouldn't make sense because most of the tracks are 1min. Long

Yeah, that's exactly why I don't like that approach.  You end up with a couple of dozen useless clips instead of (in the case of TTOE) 4 great epics.

I actually combined all of the pieces for each of the 4 parts into 4 individual songs.  Much better for the iPod, especially on shuffle.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #774 on: November 26, 2013, 01:20:44 PM »
My solution for that issue? Listen to the album as a whole, as it was meant to be (especially considering it's a concept album) :lol

I never understood the point of shuffle, especially for prog and concept albums, where the album track listing was, in many cases, carefully crafted to create a cohesive work in many parts, songs and tracks. I have been tempted to just convert all my albums in to single tracks because I rarely listen to single songs/tracks anymore, and mostly just whole albums, and in some cases, like for Ayreon's albums, this would be a wonderful idea.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:16:14 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #775 on: November 26, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »
My solution for that issue? Listen to the album as a whole, as it was meant to be (especially consider it's a concept album) :lol
Exactly! Do you guys even prog? ;)
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #776 on: November 26, 2013, 01:36:11 PM »
My solution for that issue? Listen to the album as a whole, as it was meant to be (especially consider it's a concept album) :lol
Exactly! Do you guys even prog? ;)

I don't have a problem with each part of the phase being seperated, as they are different moods for the concept. It was just easier for me to put them together, because I enjoy the phases and if they came up while I was listening to shuffle it'd feel odd.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #777 on: December 09, 2013, 09:11:36 AM »
Finally got a chance to spend some quality time with this, and the booklet.  Great story/concept - on par with THE and ITEC.  Not nearly as many cringe-worthy moments as 01011001, but there are a couple.  Musically, it's a fantastic blend of Ayreon and Star One, moreso the former obviously, but enough heavy moments to quench my Star One cravings.  Vocally, I was a little disappointed in Wetton's parts... he's barely more than a spoken character.  Mills is stellar though, and steals the show.  Squandrani is pretty damn good too... gonna have to go check out some Ancient Bards.

Loving this album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: December 09, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »
The trick for me now is to NOT OVER PLAY IT!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: December 09, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »
I hear ya.  Fortunately, it really NEEDS to be played start to finish, and there aren't that many 85 minute stretches that I can commit to it.  Couple of times a week ought to do it nicely.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #780 on: December 09, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »
I need to buy this album sometime.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #781 on: December 23, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »
OK, question here. Is it possible to buy The Universal Migrator I & II separately, or is the only version available the special edition with both? Not that it really matters, but I'm weird and would like to have both to put on my CD shelf. :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #782 on: December 23, 2013, 09:08:39 PM »
OK, question here. Is it possible to buy The Universal Migrator I & II separately, or is the only version available the special edition with both? Not that it really matters, but I'm weird and would like to have both to put on my CD shelf. :lol

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=The%20Universal%20Migrator

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XTransatlantic+vinyl&_nkw=The+Universal+Migrator&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Seems like the original, individual releases are going for a lot. If you already have the first three albums (The Final Experiment, Actual Fantasy, and Into The Electric Castle) in their InsideOut Special Editions (all 2-CD sets with cardboard slip-covers), you might as well get the 2-disc set of TUM to match them. There's nothing different and, I believe, all the artwork and lyrics for both albums are contained in one thick booklet. I mean, I don't mind having the re-issue if only because both albums, while released separately, were conceived as a single album in mind, just released in two parts (a trend that seems to happen a lot lately).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: January 07, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »
Since I know this thread will get more activity than the Flaming Row thread, thought I'd put this here.  Martin Schnella (the brains of Flaming Row) posted on his FB this morning.

Today we will announce the last Guest Appearance for the new album "Mirage - A Portrayal Of Figures".

I am very happy to say, that Arjen Anthony Lucassen, the mastermind of Ayreon, plays a guitar solo on one of the songs. It is more than an honour to me. He also made compliments to the parts of music he heard and joined playing on it.

Further news about the release and pre-order will follow later.

Seriously, any/all fans of Ayreon should listen to Flaming Row's album, Elinoire.  I can't pimp that album enough.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #784 on: January 07, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »
It is on my list of albums to buy.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: January 07, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »
It is on my list of albums to buy.

Go check out either Rage of Despair, or Unearth the Truth on YT.  Curse me later for lightening your wallet.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #786 on: January 07, 2014, 11:46:38 AM »
The pit I'm currently mired in unfortunately boasts internet that moves with all the haste of a sloth wading through molasses, but I'll give it a shot. :tup

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #787 on: January 14, 2014, 04:14:54 AM »
The Theory of Everything was my favorite album of 2013 along with D12 and The Raven That Refused to Sing.... :tup

Offline NotePad

« Reply #788 on: January 15, 2014, 01:35:05 AM »
I'v always been interested in listening to Ayreon. The Human Equation has always sounded like something intriguing, so if i try some out, it will probably be The Human Equation ;)

I don't know much about Ayreon, other then the fact that it's mainly written by one guy(?) and has many well-known metal singers on each album. Is Ayreon's music really metal? Because I always see them put in that category. I know they're progressive. A lot of progressive bands are thought of as metal, so they're losing a lot of potential fans with that. Just a thought.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #789 on: January 15, 2014, 03:26:18 AM »
There are definitely metal elements on each album, some show more metal influence than others. as an example Universal Migrator is split into two parts with part one being more pure prog rock and part two being more metal focused. Overall though there tends to be a balance.

I don't really think of Ayreon belonging to any genre beyond just being Ayreon. It's prog, rock, metal, over the top and ridiculous at times yet that is what makes it so brilliant.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: January 15, 2014, 05:58:14 AM »
Ayreon is one person - Arjen A. Lucassen.  For the Ayreon projects, he writes incredible concepts, and recruits a different mix of vocalists to play the characters he writes.  Ayreon is definitely more progressive than metal.  There are certainly tunes with a metal flair, but by-and-large, prog.  Heavier than, say, Spock's Beard or Transatlantic prog though.

If you want a metal version, check out Arjen's project, Star One.  Two albums - one written with each song based on a Sci-Fi movie/TV show; the other with each song based on a dystopian movie.  Two of my favorite albums of all time.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #791 on: January 15, 2014, 09:49:10 PM »
I was reading up about Ayreon on wikipedia. Some of the concepts and stories he comes up with for those albums are quite amazing. The guy has a great mind for science-fiction. And I'v heard of Star One. I'll have to give them a good listen too.

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #792 on: January 16, 2014, 03:15:57 AM »
Arjen A. Lucassen is really a nice, kind and down to earth guy........  :heart

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #793 on: January 16, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »
So I just ordered my Artbook copy of TtoE. There's few artists that makes me wanna buy any special edition of their releases and Arjen is always on that list for me. I always feel like I wanna support him no matter what. This time I had to wait a few months because of financial reasons. Because of that I had a very strict agenda not to spoil the music for me before I got the physical copy in my hands, again not many artists that I would care to do such a thing for. I even backed away from this thread to avoid any spoilers. So now with freah ears and a clear mind a can dig my teeth into his work. Should be an interesting experience. :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #794 on: January 17, 2014, 06:32:19 AM »

^ This.

Incredibly nice guy, very passionate about what he does and has a lot of time for the fans.

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #795 on: January 17, 2014, 04:51:10 PM »

^ This.

Incredibly nice guy, very passionate about what he does and has a lot of time for the fans.
indeed  :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #796 on: January 27, 2014, 04:40:20 PM »
Well, I ordered The Theory Of Everything, and it arrived at its destination today.

Unfortunately, due to the individual in charge of placing the order (me), the disc was shipped to my parents' house, instead of to the school.

Alas. Whenever I go down for a weekend I'll pick it up, along with my copy of Collective Oblivion.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #797 on: February 02, 2014, 08:21:58 AM »
Arjen has just started doing an AMA at Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/progmetal/comments/1wt4mc/hi_this_is_arjen_anthony_lucassen_ama/

You can ask him what ever you want.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online The Letter M

« Reply #799 on: February 02, 2014, 10:31:01 AM »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #800 on: February 10, 2014, 11:56:06 AM »
Finally got my copy of The Theory Of Everything, gonna run through it later today. Though, I apparently purchased the 3 disc special edition, even though I was almost completely sure that I hadn't. Oh well, not going to complain...

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: February 10, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »
What's on the third disc?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #802 on: February 10, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »
According to the case, it has:

Making Of The Theory Of Everything
Full-Length Artist Interviews
Recording Sessions Time Lapse

Also, reading the liner notes, it has the "Arjen Thanks" section, then "Lori Thanks", and then "Nobody Thanks", which had only one name, Gjalt. :lol :lol :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: February 10, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
:lol Well I hope you enjoy the album! It's definitely one of my favorites.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #804 on: February 10, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »
I imagine I will, I love almost everything Arjen touches. :D