Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 383492 times)

Offline Cruithne

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Theory of Everything - Oct. 28/29)
« Reply #735 on: November 01, 2013, 09:51:45 AM »
It took half a dozen listens to get but I'm really enjoying this now.

The lyrics are typically Arjen/Ayreon - they make cheese factories feel inadequate - but it's all good fun and as always he's drawn some excellent performances out of the singers.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #736 on: November 01, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »
I've listened to the new album a couple of times now and its not really grabbed me much. I LOVE The Human Equation, but this just feels a bit like he should declare this as a new project called "genereon"
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #737 on: November 01, 2013, 05:24:15 PM »
I know it's hard to find the nerds.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #738 on: November 02, 2013, 03:05:52 AM »
Listened three times so far and I'm loving it! probably my second favorite behind electric castle! :metal
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #739 on: November 02, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »
I thought it was really really good. I would have liked it more if Tommy had gotten more lines though, I feel like he was under utilized.

As a whole the album works wonderfully, but when it comes down to cherry picking favorites for me personally there's only a dozen or less that I feel can really stand alone.

Definitely a 9/10 for me.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #740 on: November 04, 2013, 06:15:49 AM »
Oh yeah... the new Ayreon has entered the Dutch album top 100 at #3! Thank you Dutchies for getting it way up there  https://dutchcharts.nl/
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #741 on: November 04, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »
Very well deserved. I think this is shaping up to be my album of the year!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: November 05, 2013, 01:25:18 AM »

Put the Tee-Shirt on for band rehearsal last night:

:hearts:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #743 on: November 05, 2013, 12:00:04 PM »
 :blush   :)   :blush 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: November 08, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
My copy has (finally) arrived! The T-Shirt is amazing and the size fits me really great, the mediabook is beautiful and the poster is nice too, though quite crumpled. Well, you never know with Russian post service. Glad I even got it.  :lol
Gonna listen and watch the DVD now!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: November 08, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
I'm about 5 or 6 full spins into this album now and I can definitely say for sure that I like it a LOT more than "001011001011010010101010010000001110101001011000010110" and "The Human Equation"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: November 08, 2013, 04:26:34 PM »
I'm about 5 or 6 full spins into this album now and I can definitely say for sure that I like it a LOT more than "001011001011010010101010010000001110101001011000010110" and "The Human Equation"

01 I can understand it being better than because that was average, but better than the Human Equation?!  :eek
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #747 on: November 08, 2013, 07:10:44 PM »
01101010101001010102 is Ayreon's best album. The Human Equation is beyond overrated.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #748 on: November 08, 2013, 07:39:30 PM »
01011001 is not that hard to type.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #749 on: November 08, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »
01011001 is not that hard to type.

It sure is hard to remember though.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #750 on: November 09, 2013, 05:35:01 AM »
I'm starting to think that this is my favorite Ayreon album. It's at least up there with electric castle. Then again I'm pretty much in love with the concept so I might be biased.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #751 on: November 09, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »

01 I can understand it being better than because that was average, but better than the Human Equation?:eek

You say that like it's difficult to achieve.  It's not.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #752 on: November 09, 2013, 10:42:47 AM »
I'm starting to think that this is my favorite Ayreon album. It's at least up there with electric castle. Then again I'm pretty much in love with the concept so I might be biased.

Why would loving the concept make you biased? I personally think its as great as THE,
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #753 on: November 09, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »
I'm just saying that I'm not judging it purely by the quality of the music. The subject matters (Science, mathematics, an antisocial genious) are all things that I find highly interesting and that affects my enjoment of the album.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #754 on: November 09, 2013, 02:07:22 PM »
I'm sad and ashamed to admit that this album is a great disappointment for me. As expected, I find the vocal performance boring and dull, which I expected given the singers invited but I was hoping for something to change my mind.

The only thing I liked was Transformation and the general violin tune/melody that was featured in the teasers. The music is fine, the singers are getting in the way for me. The male ones, to be specific (I wouldn't have minded Floor/Irene/Anneke returning instead of the new ones, but they are still good).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #755 on: November 09, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »
I may have to check this album out.   

I first discovered Ayreon with The Dream Sequencer, which hooked me right away.   I immediately picked up Flight of the Migrator, and Electric Castle.  I thought those were really good.   Then I picked up Human Equation...which COMPLETELY blew me away and I still think it's the best Ayreon album.

I was completely psyched for "binary"...so I pre-ordered the special edition.    That was seriously one of the biggest disappointments ever.   Ayreon was always a tad on the "cheese" side...but the binary album was just *SO* overly cheesy.   I barely made it through the first listen.    I should revisit it again just to see if anything's changed....but I really thought that album was terrible the first time. 

Sounds like this one is a big improvement.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: November 10, 2013, 06:44:37 AM »
So I listened two times to the whole thing and watched the DVD now. So far I can say I love it. It could be my second favourite Ayreon album, right after the THE, but of course only time will tell — I really liked 01011001 on the release, was very much into it and thought of it as of my second favourite but after several years it started to bore me a bit. Before the TTOE my rating was:

1) The Human Equation (no, its not overrated for me at all, I think it's great)
2) The Dream Sequencer (really like this one, and it only grew for me with years more and more)
3) Into the Electric Castle / 01011001 (I like ITEC, I think it's good but quite far from my favourite, and 01 didn't really aged that well)
4) The Final Experiment
5) Flight of the Migrator / Actual Fantasy (I almost never listen to those)

For now I think TTOE could beat TDS. I really think Arjen did well with picking the musicians for their roles (of course not as great as at THE, but). The best representation for me is John Wetton, of course. He fulfilled and proved my expectations in a great way. When I listened to this thing for the second time I was eager to get to the second track where he is mostly singing.

JB I think did amazing job too. Some people here say all singers are dull and boring, I don't agree at all. IMO JB shows a lot of emotion on this record, he fits into his role really well, he has this deep, full, maybe even sophisticated voice that really suits the teacher.

Other roles, hm, I like Marco's Rival (especially on the DVD, he really does the great faces when he sings all that stuff — at Nightwish's End of an Era I always laugh how he can sing and make that faces without laughing — and I'm a fan of his voice, so), I quite like Cristina's Mother (the voice is good, nothing really outstanding, but her role and text is great — it's really, dunno, convincing). Oh yes, I love Michael Mills as a father. His voice might sound a bit too young for a, well, father, but it's so, I don't know, airy, inspiring — he's really like a quite young scientist and I think his performance on this album is awesome.

Now, the other two roles: I felt like Tommy hasn't got his moment to shine. Some of his lines are great (the ones in The Prodigy's World and The Note), some aren't and in the end I felt like there wasn't enough space for him. I loved Silverthorn (the last Kamelot album) and I'm quite fond of Seventh Wonder work, so I was eager to hear Tommy on this one, and, well, I was kinda disappointed by the amount of his presence (weird phrase, I know). And Sara Squadrani, well, she was... just there, I think. Can't say nothing good or bad about her, and that's something that you don't usually end up saying listening to Ayreon. So, yeah, The Girl was probably my least favourite role.  :-[

The music is, well, standard for Ayreon, which I really liked. Nothing outstanding but completely satisfying for me. The lyrics I think are like 01 — there are some good moments, once I even had to look up the dictionary (I'm not native English speaker, you know) for the "savant" word, and there are some over the edge cheesy moments: some I could expect, like in The Breakthrough (I laughed at this one but, well, I expected something like that from Arjen when I heard what the story will be about), and some had come out of nowhere (like this in Love and Envy one — you're falling for this loser — and I'm so much cooler one). I've also laughed when the father tells his son he's been drugging him for over a year now. Don't know, that was just something in this phrase in the booklet "Son, I have to tell you... I've been giving you a drug..." that made me laugh. Like, yeah, a drug, you drugged your own son, no big deal. Great.  :lol Shit, I'm still laughing when I'm writing this. I'm strange.  :lol

But, yeah, the whole story is great I think. For me it's on par with THE, can't decide now which one is the best. It's conveyed really beautifully with the music, the moment when the main melody at the TTOE pt. 3 came back was awesome for me. While there's some cringeworthy moments (but you can find them on every Ayreon album), I think this record was really good. DVD I didn't that like (I don't like dogs, especially these small ones), but the album itself I liked. Definitely up there for an album of the year, if you ask me.

Wow, I wrote a lot. Wonder if anyone'll ever bother to read it.  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #757 on: November 10, 2013, 08:40:43 AM »
Wow, I wrote a lot. Wonder if anyone'll ever bother to read it.  :lol

I did indeed.  I still haven't had a chance to listen thru uninterrupted with the liner notes yet.  :angry:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: November 12, 2013, 03:32:57 AM »
Still haven't got my hands on this one.  Hopefully I can pick it up this weekend.  I'm in a bit of a Ayreon mood.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: November 13, 2013, 12:09:45 PM »
The almost universal love for THE baffles me.  It's a decent album, but it just never clicked much for me.  I could probably make one good solid CD of music I like by condensing the best stuff from the two discs onto a single disc.

I find this new album to be a lot less ponderous and WAY less bloated than THE or Y. 

I also prefer the smaller group of vocalists.  Sometimes less is more. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #760 on: November 13, 2013, 01:19:35 PM »
The almost universal love for THE baffles me.  It's a decent album, but it just never clicked much for me.  I could probably make one good solid CD of music I like by condensing the best stuff from the two discs onto a single disc.

I find this new album to be a lot less ponderous and WAY less bloated than THE or Y. 

I also prefer the smaller group of vocalists.  Sometimes less is more.

I think after Day 13 is where I lose interest, but I still like the concept and can listen to it. Into The Electric Castle is better, but TTOE is his best yet.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #761 on: November 13, 2013, 02:00:55 PM »
I think after Day 13 is where I lose interest, but I still like the concept and can listen to it. Into The Electric Castle is better, but TTOE is his best yet.
This is full of truth.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #762 on: November 13, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »
I emailed Arjen complimenting him on TTOE. He replied and was really genuine and overall nice. It's cool to see that some artists can take the time to reply to some emails like that.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #763 on: November 13, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
Yeah, Arjen seems like SUCH a nice guy, probably my favorite musician ever overall, taking both musicianship and personality into account.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #764 on: November 13, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »
Arjen is active on FB (not just posting things, but replying to comments and questions), and has said (and shown) that he tries to respond to every email sent to him.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: November 14, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »
Can't help but think in the final track of Phase 3 Marco sings "we are wretched beyond belief".   :D
Well, yeah, you know, you've just robbed the bank.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: November 25, 2013, 07:20:22 PM »
Let's talk more about how awesome this album is. I personally enjoy it more than THE. Also, I'll be adding this album to the list of 2013 albums that are better than DT12.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #767 on: November 25, 2013, 08:22:57 PM »
I put each phase as one song....they go by fast.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #768 on: November 25, 2013, 10:32:13 PM »
Let's talk more about how awesome this album is. I personally enjoy it more than THE. Also, I'll be adding this album to the list of 2013 albums that are better than DT12.
Agreed on both counts. :tup

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #769 on: November 26, 2013, 04:49:26 AM »
Can't get over how great Mike Mills is on this. Never heard of the guy but his range is awesome!  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....