Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 383462 times)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Theory of Everything - Oct. 28/29)
« Reply #700 on: October 26, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »
 :heart

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #701 on: October 26, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »
Are the 42 sections individually tracked, or is it four long tracks (2 per disc)?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #702 on: October 26, 2013, 03:11:41 PM »
Individually tracked.

Though this story could be followed pretty well be ear alone, it's nice to have finally sat down with the booklet. Several things I didn't understand finally came to light, and the conclusion had greater clarity. While there are some bad lyrics on this album, the story is likely the best he's done besides The Human Equation.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:45:54 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #703 on: October 26, 2013, 03:36:47 PM »
That just means it's better than 01! :lol

Still, good to hear. I hope my copy arrives next week. I always want my first listen to an Ayreon album to be booklet in hand. :heart
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #704 on: October 26, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
Oops, edited to be more clear with what I meant.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #705 on: October 28, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »
For those that want to try it, it's playing for a week at Progstreaming - https://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/index.php
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: October 28, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »
Hmm. Musically, it's really good.

Vocally, I'm not sure. There's so much operatic oversinging going on. Honestly, that's one of the things which have been causing me to veer away from the progressive metal genre. I don't like it.

Ayreon's always been like that, though, so I can't blame Arjen for personal changes in preference.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #707 on: October 28, 2013, 01:13:15 PM »
Still waiting for mine to arrive.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #708 on: October 28, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »
Hmm. Musically, it's really good.

Vocally, I'm not sure. There's so much operatic oversinging going on. Honestly, that's one of the things which have been causing me to veer away from the progressive metal genre. I don't like it.

Ayreon's always been like that, though, so I can't blame Arjen for personal changes in preference.

After 01 I think this album REALLY stood out vocally. As is often the case some of the best stuff came from some people I didn't know well, mainly JB and Scabbia. Additionally I think Wetton was fantastic in his role, and Tommy in his.

Offline Frank

« Reply #709 on: October 28, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »
Damn, I'm still waiting too. It's frustrating to go over the Facebook page and see all of the people who have gotten their orders already.

I'm tempted to forego audio quality and listen to the streaming version for a taste, but because this is Ayreon, I really want to be able to read the lyrics for the first time as well. Does anybody know if I can find the lyrics online anywhere?
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #710 on: October 28, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »
I've listened to the whole thing twice through now, and it hasn't improved at all for me. :-\ I really cannot understand why it seems like such a chore for me to listen to it, so far I haven't been able to listen to either disc all the way through in one sitting let alone both discs. The most I can muster up is to listen to one of the four songs each time I put it on because the tracks themselves are supposed to be a part of a greater whole and I don't think it does the album any favours while I'm trying to get into it not to listen to a whole song.

I still haven't warmed up to 01011001 all that much either, but I don't have the same reaction to that album that I do this one. Very disappointing after five years.

So far Entanglement is the better of the four songs for me.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: October 28, 2013, 09:34:40 PM »
Mine hasn't arrived yet. Really eager to listen, but I think I'll wait for my copy.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #712 on: October 29, 2013, 05:09:45 AM »
It's a masterpiece. It took me several listens. The first time I thought it was kind of underwhelming but as I've started remembering the melodies and lyrics and the story I kind of get goosebumps from it now and hum bits of it when walking around.

The singing in The Parting by Michael Mills is just nuts, I heard it in the previews ages ago and I remember saying "holy crap this singer is amazing". Well in the context of the story it's even more epic.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #713 on: October 29, 2013, 05:21:49 AM »
Guess what was waiting for me in the mail coming home after work yesterday? Listened to the whole thing in the evening while reading the background story and lyrics.

I like the music, I like the story, the artwork is fantastic, the regular instrumentalists are great, the guest instrumentalists fit, the production is top notch. Oh and DT should take lessons with Arjen to find out about the true meaning of "cinematic" (and maybe production too). :laugh:

But although the individual singers are definitely good or even great at what they are doing (not counting which styles I personally like or dislike) my first impression was there are several serious miscasts. For my taste Father (Michael Mills), Girl (Sara Squadrani), and especially Prodigy (Tommy Karevik) don't portray their characters very well (Mills, Squadrani) or not at all (Karevik).

BTW what's up with that break in the "Transformation" track? I listened to the album stream to check if it's intentional or my CD was fucked up. It seems to be the way it was supposed to be but it still sounds kinda wrong.

Looking forward to the next spin tonight.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #714 on: October 29, 2013, 05:26:44 AM »
Listening on Spotify, and some of the music is really good. Particularly in the final song, that's probably my favourite.

The lyrics are pretty meh, but mostly standard Arjen-fare, with only the occasional cringe moment (Eintein's relativity and Heisenberg's uncertainty, good god).

In terms of the story, I feel like I should at some point give the album a dedicated listen along with the lyrics. I'm not getting much from it at the moment.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #715 on: October 29, 2013, 05:35:43 AM »
What I was thinking was> You've managed to pull off a bank scam, becoming 'wealthy beyond your wildest dreams'. Ok, The rival buggers off never to be heard from again, and what does the prodigy do? Does he buy a penthouse, or a condo? No, he hides away in an abandoned lighthouse trying to finish a theory....ok?!  :justjen
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #716 on: October 29, 2013, 05:54:35 AM »
The prodigy didn't help for money, he helped to get the drug to be able to work on the theory again.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #717 on: October 29, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »
The prodigy didn't help for money, he helped to get the drug to be able to work on the theory again.

This is how I understand it as well. The prodigy had no interest in money, he had one purpose in life, to solve the theory of everything. That's why he just goes catatonic at the end when it's done. There's something supernatural in this album, or maybe some kind of alien influence, since the father basically comes back from the dead either for real or in his mind, and his writing ends up on the blackboard. I was half waiting for a "Forever" section at the very end, like in THE  :P.

Also, I love The Breakthrough, it's so cheesy and good. Fermions, baryons! Isn't this exactly why we listen to Ayreon? It's just his style.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:16:37 AM by Metabog »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #718 on: October 29, 2013, 10:36:40 AM »
Breakthrough is awesome, Ariich be damned!

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #719 on: October 30, 2013, 01:29:50 AM »
I agree, it's not cheesy or cringeworthy. Arjen is a major geek into both Sci and Fi. It may not win a price for outstanding poetry or hidden symbolism but it fits the story and the excitement of the discovery.

I didn't give it another spin last night as I was far too curious for the DVD. And it's everything I expected it to be, funny, inspiring, stupid (in a good way), all in one. Also I'm pretty sure I know how to correctly high five Hoshi and Arjen by now. :biggrin:

And "miscast" was a pretty strong word in my previous post. It's obvious the singers are the right choice for Arjen and his vision. It's just that the styles of the three I mentioned don't match with what I personally would expect their characters to sound like.

Greetings...
Nef

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #720 on: October 30, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »
Watching the DVD....its funny, and informative.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #721 on: October 30, 2013, 01:10:12 PM »
Still haven't received mine.   >:( 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #722 on: October 30, 2013, 02:05:31 PM »
It's such a shame such a talented songwriter is always marred by his lyrics. I just can't listen to it, I gave up 10 minutes into this release. I just wish the guy went the Elton John route where he writes the music, and someone else writes the lyrics. I think he would be waaaay more popular than he is now.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #723 on: October 30, 2013, 02:17:42 PM »
This is his best album, so far.  The story is portrayed well, and the vocalists do a fantastic job of communicating the emotion of the characters.

Honestly, who gives a rats ass about the diction of the lyrics, it makes no sense to me. Lyrics help explain the message, and if its simplistic I don't mind at all. Because life isn't fancy dazzling glitter all the time...

The way Arjen tells his stories is why I enjoy Ayreon. It may sound cheesy but the portrayal is brilliant.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #724 on: October 30, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »
This is his best album, so far.  The story is portrayed well, and the vocalists do a fantastic job of communicating the emotion of the characters.

Honestly, who gives a rats ass about the diction of the lyrics, it makes no sense to me. Lyrics help explain the message, and if its simplistic I don't mind at all. Because life isn't fancy dazzling glitter all the time...

The way Arjen tells his stories is why I enjoy Ayreon. It may sound cheesy but the portrayal is brilliant.

Ben, I agree in a very big way with what you're saying. However there are times that the lyrics could simply be better, and not so base and dry.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #725 on: October 30, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »
It's such a shame such a talented songwriter is always marred by his lyrics. I just can't listen to it, I gave up 10 minutes into this release. I just wish the guy went the Elton John route where he writes the music, and someone else writes the lyrics. I think he would be waaaay more popular than he is now.

I am not sure about that.  Ayreon's music is really only gonna appeal to fans of prog rock and prog metal anyway, and I am pretty sure fans of those types of music are not in it for the lyrics :lol :lol, so I am not sure how much difference better lyrics would make, as far as appeal to the prog masses goes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #726 on: October 30, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »
I think I'm part of a sizable percentage of prog likers who would listen to Ayreon if it weren't for the lyrics. Would he be DT popular? Nah, of course not. But as it is the guy is total fringe.

Then again, I might also be just over-picky :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #727 on: October 30, 2013, 03:29:36 PM »
I think I'm part of a sizable percentage of prog likers who would listen to Ayreon if it weren't for the lyrics. Would he be DT popular? Nah, of course not. But as it is the guy is total fringe.

Curious... what do you base your belief that your 'part of a sizable percentage'?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #728 on: October 30, 2013, 03:30:28 PM »

Well, there's always Guilt Machine.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #729 on: October 30, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »

Well, there's always Guilt Machine.

Indeed.
Love that album.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #730 on: October 30, 2013, 04:40:59 PM »

Curious... what do you base your belief that your 'part of a sizable percentage'?
More to the point, why do you think Arjen is "fringe"? He's really popular and successful enough to be getting some really big names involved.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: October 30, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »
After two listens I can say I like this album. I need more listens to see how it grows.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: October 31, 2013, 12:00:23 AM »
Listening through for the first time. That B5 in The Parting holy shit.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #733 on: October 31, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »
Even though he repeats himself way too much I still love these big, huge, cheesy rock operas that Arjen makes.  I can't help myself  :blush   :lol   :blush

I even went for the super-deluxe Media book package, and it finally came yesterday, check it out, I took a few quick shots with the phone:

Signed Gigantic version of the digipack, Tee Shirt, and Theory of Everything poster:

Front (signed) of the book - it's about the same size as a typical vinyl.  Nice quality:

Put the Tee-Shirt on for band rehearsal last night:

Found a good home for the poster too:

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #734 on: November 01, 2013, 04:56:03 AM »
Nice to see you're wearing the shirt! Offcourse, I completely got the size wrong again and got a XL instead of an L, and I'm drowning in it....but I don't care, once a geek always a geek...  ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....