Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 383691 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Theory of Everything - Oct. 28/29)
« Reply #665 on: October 16, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »
It's not rape when both sides enjoy it...

What the fuck did I just say?  :rollin

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #666 on: October 16, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »
*CRIES*

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #667 on: October 16, 2013, 04:15:11 PM »
BACK ON TOPIC....(and not each other)...

I think I am going to wait hearing any more samples or songs from this. It comes out in 2 weeks and I've already got it pre-ordered, so I think I can be patient enough to hear the first new Ayreon album in FIVE YEARS. Cannot wait to hear what's sure to be another masterpiece! I was a bit let down by 01 so I am hoping this takes things up a notch and pushes it to ITEC and THE levels of awesome.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #668 on: October 16, 2013, 07:16:47 PM »

I think I am going to wait hearing any more samples or songs from this. It comes out in 2 weeks and I've already got it pre-ordered, so I think I can be patient enough to hear the first new Ayreon album in FIVE YEARS. Cannot wait to hear what's sure to be another masterpiece! I was a bit let down by 01 so I am hoping this takes things up a notch and pushes it to ITEC and THE levels of awesome.

-Marc.

I'll agree with your last statement.  Other than a few lyrically challenged moments in 01, it's grown on me.  When it came out, I didn't know all the vocalists on the album the way I know many of them now (Lande, Luyten, Kursch, Englund, Jansen, Catley, Hegt, Simmons), so in some respects, I can listen to it in a different way.  Those lyrical moments are still lol-worthy, but it's aged well.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: October 16, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »
Very Ayreon indeed. I'm not terribly excited by this song but I sure want to listen to the rest of the album.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: October 17, 2013, 04:56:37 AM »
Standard Ayreon fare.

WHICH IS AWESOME!!!! :metal

Pretty much.  It sounds quite safe.  But looking foward to it.

-Marc.

I'll agree with your last statement.  Other than a few lyrically challenged moments in 01, it's grown on me.  When it came out, I didn't know all the vocalists on the album the way I know many of them now (Lande, Luyten, Kursch, Englund, Jansen, Catley, Hegt, Simmons), so in some respects, I can listen to it in a different way.  Those lyrical moments are still lol-worthy, but it's aged well.

I think it's about time I dug this out and listened to it again.  It did absolutely nothing for me when it came out and I love most of the singers on there.  I should listen again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: October 17, 2013, 05:26:20 AM »
I think it's about time I dug this out and listened to it again.  It did absolutely nothing for me when it came out and I love most of the singers on there.  I should listen again.

Doing that right now.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: October 17, 2013, 05:27:37 AM »
Post what you think of it now when you are done.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #673 on: October 17, 2013, 06:19:16 AM »
To all you saying this is a safe album I say... just you wait.

The sound may be safe, but there is another bit that most certainly isn't.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #674 on: October 17, 2013, 07:01:36 AM »
AAAAH!!! The Ayreon sample sounds amazing! I don't care if it's "safe". That sound is what I love!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: October 17, 2013, 08:17:23 AM »

Musically, it's aged very well.  I liked it well enough upon release, and I probably enjoy it even more now.
Vocally, the performances are excellent... and as I mentioned, now knowing these voices better than I did 5 years ago, I really enjoy them even more.

Here are the flaws with it though:
The lyrical lol-moments are still incredibly  :facepalm: (I'm looking squarely at you, Connect the Dots - although the chorus isn't too bad).  There are a few other lyrics that are cringe-worthy - Web of Lies is particularly painful... which sucks, because it's Simone's only contribution.
Vocally... he's got too many vocalists.  None of them have a chance to really shine.  They're in and out with never more than a single verse to themselves before someone else comes in.  There's never any character development like he achieved with T.H.E.
Not only has he got too many vocalists, he's got too much singing.  The Truth is In Here is an 8 minute song, with more lyrical stanza's than you'd find in many 20 minute epics.
Hansi's tone is far to domineering.  Even when he's singing with others, his voice just drowns all others.

Still give it a 3 or 3.5 out of 5.

Here's my Ayreon rankings:

T.H.E
ITEC
Flight of the Migrator
Actual Fantasy
The Final Experiment
The Dream Sequencer

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #676 on: October 17, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »
I'm not going to listen to any previews.  I've got my pre-order for the super deluxe mega whack-jack-Cadillac version of the album.  I'll hear it when that arrives in my mail box.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #677 on: October 17, 2013, 09:01:27 AM »
It's not rape when both sides enjoy it...

What the fuck did I just say?  :rollin

The amazing truth.....  :hat :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: October 17, 2013, 09:32:38 AM »
Vocally... he's got too many vocalists.  None of them have a chance to really shine.  They're in and out with never more than a single verse to themselves before someone else comes in.  There's never any character development like he achieved with T.H.E.
Not only has he got too many vocalists, he's got too much singing.  The Truth is In Here is an 8 minute song, with more lyrical stanza's than you'd find in many 20 minute epics.

As much as I agree with the first part, it never seems to manifest in to a negative for me like it does for others. Somehow, for the most part, he makes it work, even though it shouldn’t.

I don’t think there is too much singing, that never occurred to me. Along these line I again think Arjen made things work that shouldn’t have.

Behind on some album purchases so might hold off on this one, though I enjoyed the latest youtube posting.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #679 on: October 17, 2013, 10:38:26 AM »
Arjen has at this point repeatedly said that 01 had too many vocalists with too little room for each to shine. That's a big reason why this album has far fewer.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: October 17, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »
Arjen has at this point repeatedly said that 01 had too many vocalists with too little room for each to shine. That's a big reason why this album has far fewer.

I'm glad he agrees with me, and took the appropriate measures.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #681 on: October 18, 2013, 12:40:29 AM »
I just finished listening to the new album and it didn't blow me away on the first listen like The Human Equation did, but even though it probably won't surpass The Human Equation for me it's still a great album, and I would give it a 9/10.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #682 on: October 20, 2013, 07:01:28 AM »

Musically, it's aged very well.  I liked it well enough upon release, and I probably enjoy it even more now.
Vocally, the performances are excellent... and as I mentioned, now knowing these voices better than I did 5 years ago, I really enjoy them even more.

Here are the flaws with it though:
The lyrical lol-moments are still incredibly  :facepalm: (I'm looking squarely at you, Connect the Dots - although the chorus isn't too bad).  There are a few other lyrics that are cringe-worthy - Web of Lies is particularly painful... which sucks, because it's Simone's only contribution.
Hansi's tone is far to domineering.  Even when he's singing with others, his voice just drowns all others.

Still give it a 3 or 3.5 out of 5.

Here's my Ayreon rankings:

T.H.E
ITEC
Flight of the Migrator
Actual Fantasy
The Final Experiment
The Dream Sequencer

Dream Sequencer is at the bottom of your list? After THE and ITEC that's my third favorite (although I normally see The Universal Migrator as one double album)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #683 on: October 20, 2013, 09:23:40 AM »
So, I've only listened to the first disc so far, but it's actually pretty excellent. I don't know what Mason was on about it being worse than everything aside from Actual Fantasy.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: October 20, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »
Dream Sequencer is at the bottom of your list? After THE and ITEC that's my third favorite (although I normally see The Universal Migrator as one double album)

Yeah. I usually listen to both as one album, and I just don't enjoy The Dream Sequencer.  :dunno:  I'm much more of a fans of Arjen's heavier side.  Honestly, I'd put both Star One albums ahead of everything except T.H.E.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #685 on: October 20, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »
It has improved from my initial thoughts.  I'd bump it above 01 and The Final Experiment.  My major complaint is that the singers are so similar to each other that only reason I know one guy stopped singing and another did was the context of the lyrics.  The singers themselves aren't bad, just too similar.  I would say the structural chances AAJ took largely work, and help keep the story moving forward.  Hopefully the gaps that are at track changes (particularly disc 2) in our promo mp3's are not in the finished product.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #686 on: October 20, 2013, 03:36:20 PM »
My major complaint is that the singers are so similar to each other that only reason I know one guy stopped singing and another did was the context of the lyrics.  The singers themselves aren't bad, just too similar. 
That's a real shame - one of the things that really stands out about THE and ITEC is the characterisation of each person.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #687 on: October 20, 2013, 04:05:43 PM »
^exactly.  As it is with other albums like Flaming Row and Fanticide. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: October 20, 2013, 04:13:52 PM »
My major complaint is that the singers are so similar to each other that only reason I know one guy stopped singing and another did was the context of the lyrics.  The singers themselves aren't bad, just too similar. 

that's a little of what 01011001 suffers from.  There are times when the lyrics go between Catley, Lande and Englund, and as you mention above, I wouldn't even know it just by the vocals.  Weird, because those three do have relatively different voices (by and large).

I noticed a bit of that on my first cursory listen of TTOE.  Looking forward to REALLY listening to it on my flights tomorrow.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #689 on: October 20, 2013, 08:37:07 PM »
Eh, I'm really not liking this album at the moment. It just sounds like a mess of ideas were thrown at the wall to see what stuck and that's how these songs were made. Then Arjen took what didn't stick and made another song out of what was on the floor based on how they fell. There are so few redeeming moments for me here, they are so fleeting and they are completely overshadowed by the monotony of everything else. Most of the ideas never get a chance to shine either, they come and then they're gone. I think I'd like this album more if the better ideas of the album were made into shorter stand-alone songs instead of being an under 1 minute track in a 20 minute song that appears once and never gets reprised.

This album could be a grower, yes. I've not liked albums on the first listen in the past and sometimes they've ended up becoming favourites. But, so far I'm not feeling TTOE at all.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #690 on: October 21, 2013, 05:29:30 AM »
I really like the new album, but have to give it more time to decide to what extent. There are some parts that are more simple and storytelling focused that I am not feeling, though. The parts diagnosis, progressive waves, collision, side effects, magnetism, transformation and the breaktrough stood out to me the first listen. Overall, I think it is very solid and I like the musical  feeling it has.

The funny thing is that I am absolutely a metal guy, but tend to like Arjens softer stuff more in general. Thus, I don't mind this album is less metal than most of his previous Ayreon efforts.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #691 on: October 21, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
I don't like how there are 40 songs and it's all connected. Thus,I don't have a favorite track that I will revisit every day.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #692 on: October 21, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »
The sections don't bother me all that much. Arjen's albums tend to work better as a whole rather than individual songs anyway.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #693 on: October 21, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »
I don't like how there are 40 songs and it's all connected. Thus,I don't have a favorite track that I will revisit every day.
My little prog heart got a bit heart by that.  :'(
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #694 on: October 21, 2013, 10:50:52 AM »
Guess who's in there? A certain obscure lady...

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: October 21, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »
That's so freakin cool!!  Though she ain't here very often, it looks good on ya, "Stalky"

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #696 on: October 21, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
My little prog heart got a bit heart by that.  :'(
Come on,instead of having 40 parts for one huge song,I'd rather have 12 real songs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: October 26, 2013, 07:30:34 AM »
Got home last night to my pre-order sitting on my desk!

:woot:

Now I no longer need to feel bad about listening to it.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: October 26, 2013, 09:44:35 AM »
The defining moments in one's life.....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #699 on: October 26, 2013, 02:42:36 PM »
I think he likes you  ;)

(way to go, damn proud of you  :heart )